Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

B/R article on rival scouts doubting Andrew will ever be the same

GusFring

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You have zero to base that on.   Absolute zero

I don't expect him to step right back in there day one and be 2013-2014 Andrew luck right away his deep passes will come back to where they were pre injury it will take time. I expect him to be rusty. All this reminds me of when Peyton was out with the neck and everybody saying he cant throw he's done he will never be the same and so on but he did come back he was still a great player and still even though he did lose some arm strength it didn't matter and I believe it wont matter for luck either as long as Ballard finishes what Grigson couldn't do and that build a roster that can contend on a regular basis for championships.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

This is just unprofessional to me. I don’t know how as a coach you can talk down on a player when it is your job to coach up players to be their absolute best. Not to mention it’s just wrong. Luck has never, and will never be afraid to get hit. 

Sounds like something a player like  Jalen Ramsey would say. And it’s a coach. It’s so sad. 

Since when is it a coach's job to 'coach up' players on other teams?

I went to 1 training camp practice and, within my first 5 minutes of watching him, Luck threw a 40-50 yard bomb to KJ Brent. Hit him in stride for the touchdown. The coverage was there. CB & safety. The throw was just perfect. Vintage Luck. Also saw him hit TY on a 20-25 yard deep out a play or 2 later.  Another perfect throw in tight coverage.  Toe drag swag required. 

These scouts & coaches are basing their opinions off of the preseason games & especially the Ravens game.  Luck was way too amped up for his first home game & it showed. He bounced back wonderfully the next game to shut down any doubts.  

But seriously, why do people expect Reich to risk Luck getting blasted when our tackle situation is in flux. Especially with AC being out. Why risk it???

When AC is back, Luck will take many deep shots this season.  I’ve already seen it live with my own 2 eyes. Only thing left is for him to show the world. And he will...  Mark my words. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

This is just unprofessional to me. I don’t know how as a coach you can talk down on a player when it is your job to coach up players to be their absolute best. Not to mention it’s just wrong. Luck has never, and will never be afraid to get hit. 

Sounds like something a player like  Jalen Ramsey would say. And it’s a coach. It’s so sad. 

I'm sorry,  but there is nothing unprofessional OR sad about this.

This is a type of story that is done all the time by all the mainstream websites.    A star player is coming back from injury and a website asks coaches and GM's about how they think the player will do in his return.      Happens all the time.

Look....   the anonymous people here will either be proven right or wrong.     We'll all know in four months.     Personally,   whatever Luck is this year,  if he gets through without reinjuring his arm,  and no other major injuries,  then I think he'll be MUCH improved next year,  and the year after that.     I think Luck's arm will get better and stronger in 19 and beyond.    He just has to stay healthy.  

Don't sweat this....     we'll all know soon enough.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a type of story that is done all the time by all the mainstream websites.    A star player is coming back from injury and a website asks coaches and GM's about how they think the player will do in his return.      Happens all the time.

Look....   the anonymous people here will either be proven right or wrong.     We'll all know in four months.     Personally,   whatever Luck is this year,  if he gets through without reinjuring his arm,  and no other major injuries,  then I think he'll be MUCH improved next year,  and the year after that.     I think Luck's arm will get better and stronger in 19 and beyond.    He just has to stay healthy.  

In my experience those kind of stories are prevalent in the local markets

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lol I'm gonna laugh so hard when we play this team whoever it is and luck kicks the living crap out of them 

I know it does get tiring hearing all of these people, whether it be the media picking us to go 2-14 or ranking us 32nd to some clown Coach or that clown Jalen Ramsey dissing a QB like Luck. I can't wait until he and the Colts prove everyone wrong. It was probably a Coach from the Jags, seems to be their big headed style. They had 1 Very Good year and the way their fans and Ramsey acts, they won a SB lmao . Until you win a Ring you can't talk doo doo! Until the Cubs won in Baseball I couldn't talk doo doo, that is all people care about. 

-Also talk about check down Charlie's, every QB in our Division is Mr checkdown (Mariota is a king at it), and Bortles isn't even a Top 20 QB in the league.

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

In my experience those kind of stories are prevalent in the local markets

Local markets?      Not my experience as much.

Because GM's and HC's are more likely to give juicy info the major media outlets than the local.  

Those quotes will get more attention on a national level than they will on a local level.

Just my experience,  of course,  your mileage may vary.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, It was unprofessional. 

Next time Captain Luck writes a note to his dearest mother, he’ll let us know his true feelings.  It might sound like this.   “Dearest Mother, a tiger on a hill was spotted after camp broke.  Our brave soldiers  followed my lead as a stampede of Colts charged through the field of battle, surrounded the helpless beast and proceeded to tame it.  Your son felt no fear..my bandages fell to the ground.  The ensuing battle saw me finally grabbing it by the tail and caging the helpless beast. Alas,  We will soon be in Indian territory as our trusted scouts say they lay in  waiting for us.  My sidearm is ready and capable for the task. 

So, i want to know when Suggs and Wagner hit him,..when Luck got up, did he tell them "Good hit"?.  If not...not the same Luck. Doesn't mean he's afraid,...but still not the same. 18 months out of football due to injury will do that.  We all know he's not afraid, if he was, he wouldn't have scrambled those extra yards for the first down seeing a Lb'er in front of him (and not seeing the lineman behind him).

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

What was unprofessional about this?

Everyone does this.   ESPN, NFL,com, Sports Illustrated.    Everyone.

What’s your priblem with this?

It would probably be more believable if it was from schefter or Clayton.   Not Matt Miller from bleacher report 

• Like 1

A writer can make anything sound legit.  He chooses to write a piece he wants, then calls the sources that he knows will give him the opinion he wants, and doesn't call the others.

How do we know that he didn't call 10 sources, then used the 4 that happened to support his narrative?

He still has the legitimate sources, the support, the traditional unnamed sources that when challenged, he could produce.  He just never discloses the entire process was biased and based upon what he thought would sell copy, or worse, what message he wants to deliver.

Ballard 'gets it'.  Quote-

*Chris Ballard, acknowledged the ample reason for doubt, telling reporters this preseason*

"I still think we'll get questions until he lines up and plays again and plays high-level football again."

Another GM gets it too.  Quote-

Said one rival general manager when asked this spring what you'd have to trade to get Luck*

"Are you {mod edit} freaking kidding me? You don't trade Andrew Luck."

He knows Ballard's feelings on that-

“Look, we had some calls last year at the trade deadline,” Ballard, unable to contain his laughter, said Saturday. “And I just — come on, man. I’m not taking those seriously. We’re not trading Andrew Luck.  I’m not putting that on my résumé.”

On 9/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, GusFring said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2794349-andrew-luck-is-back-can-he-defy-his-doubters.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting read. 1 guy said Alex Smith but scared to get hit. From the practice tapes, it definitely looks like Andrew can throw deep. 

This is the only part of the article I'd consider accurate. 

Ballard got that right situation in Luck too. As any general manager will tell you, having a quarterback like the one Luck can be when healthy is a game-changer. (Said one rival general manager when asked this spring what you'd have to trade to get Luck: "Are you * kidding me? You don't trade Andrew Luck.")

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It would probably be more believable if it was from schefter or Clayton.   Not Matt Miller from bleacher report 

I wasn’t aware Matt Miller had a bad reputation.

As for Bleacher Report,  they’ve been accused of many things, but I’m pretty sure fabricating a story isn’t one of them.

18 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I agree it’s unprofessional...and cowardly, insisting on anonymity.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:42 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Since when is it a coach's job to 'coach up' players on other teams?

I mean it in the general sense. They aren’t supposed to coach other teams’ players, but they could at least show respect to them. Andrew Luck isn’t a guy that runs his mouth either. He just puts his head down and grinds, but he gets disrespected. I have a problem with that. 

On 9/6/2018 at 2:05 PM, luv_pony_express said:

I fear they’re going to be proven right.  And I still think that JB looked better than AL did in the preseason.

But I’m hoping that Andrew proves me wrong.

The problem with Brisett is he puts too much heat on all his throws. Sometimes you got to put some touch on it. As far as Luck goes it is smart to make teams think Luck can only throw short. Now d coordinators  will have everyone play up like they did manning in 2012. The deep td that may result from their foolishness may be the difference in the game

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The problem with Brisett is he puts too much heat on all his throws. Sometimes you got to put some touch on it. As far as Luck goes it is smart to make teams think Luck can only throw short. Now d coordinators  will have everyone play up like they did manning in 2012. The deep td that may result from their foolishness may be the difference in the game

One thing you may not think about is Brissett was still basically a rookie when he started for the Colts. He really hadn't learned to put 'touch' on the ball. Put him on the Colts and every play he was under extreme pressure. It's pretty tough on any QB to get better with things like that when you are getting pounded into the turf as much as he was. He knew he had no time and had to get the ball out like in 2 or 3 seconds and he was going to get steamrolled.  Thus the ball coming out with heat on it.