Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/1/2018 at 1:25 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....    I'm going by thus year's playoff teams....

NFC.   rbbc

Phi, Min, NO, Car, Atl.    5 of the 6 teams. Only the Rams with  Gurley is the exception.

AFC.    rbbc

NE,  Jac,  Tenn,    3 if the 6.    Only Pitt with Bell, KC with Hunt, and Buff with McCoy are exceptions.

In all, 8 of the 12 playoff teams.   

PS --   Sorry CC, this was intended for Defjamz, not you.

Okay. Some of those are arguable though.

Minny is only committee because of Cooks injury. 

And how how are you defining RBBC? Some of the teams you listed have a every down RB but have either a standard backup RB to rest the starter or a RB who will soon replace the starter as the lead back. I feel like NE is the only real RBBC because they don’t have someone who consistently gets a bulk of the carries and they rotate White, Lewis, and Gillislee constantly.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

With the Browns having the 1 and 4th picks in the draft, I think they will take Barkely with the 1st. 

I said that in an earlier thread. If they do want him IMO they will take him #1.

They cant be sure the Giants are going to pick a RB if Eli will be back and also don't know if the Colts take him. With pick 1 and 4 they get both positions either way.

The owner of the Giants has already said he wanted ELi back next season so I think all this Giants taking a QB may just be smoke.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:54 AM, ClaytonColt said:

Is that actually true any more though? 

Who were the last super bowl winners to be have built an elite o-line? Can't remember the last time New England drafted a lineman in an early round for example.

You're talking about one of the goat QB and imo the Goat HC. Makes it just a litttttle different for them lol 

48 minutes ago, Myles said:

With the Browns having the 1 and 4th picks in the draft, I think they will take Barkely with the 1st. 

I just don't see that. They have a shot at a franchise QB. They've screwed that up consistently. They desperately need a new one. Now they get the best QB in the draft in their sights and they choose a RB? That would be insane. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

I just don't see that. They have a shot at a franchise QB. They've screwed that up consistently. They desperately need a new one. Now they get the best QB in the draft in their sights and they choose a RB? That would be insane. 

I disagree.   Rosen is going to pull an ELI and won't go to the Browns.   Darnold may fall after that bowl performance.  Heck, he may stay in school another year.   That leaves Allen and Mayfield who will still be there at #4.   Barkely won't be.   It would be insane for the Browns not to draft him. 

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Maybe not?  With the #1 and the #4 they can get both. There are 3 or 4 QBs who most think are NFL ready so no matter they will get both positions filled if they do decide to take Barkley with the #1. They have to figure the Colts are not going to take a QB so that only leaves the Giants. The Giants could very well take Barkley because they have no RBs on the roster that even comes close to his talent.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   Rosen is going to pull an ELI and won't go to the Browns.   Darnold may fall after that bowl performance.  Heck, he may stay in school another year.   That leaves Allen and Mayfield who will still be there at #4.   Barkely won't be.   It would be insane for the Browns not to draft him. 

Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:16 PM, horseshoecrabs said:

Bott just asking, You seem to like to comment on everyone else's comments, do you ever go out on a limb and post your own thoughts. I mean let's face it people  leave their self  wide open when they  post a topic. Sort of like being roasted by their peers. Are you up for the challenge? It's  easy to be the peanut gallery   and i know with your elevated perspicacity you would shed  great incite.

prespicacity is literally the act of shedding insight..... not incite ; )  c'mon man, you can do this!  ; )

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

You're talking about one of the goat QB and imo the Goat HC. Makes it just a litttttle different for them lol 

It was just an example but the question still remains........which recent championship winners used high end draft resources and built an elite offensive line to win in the trenches on that side of the ball?

This is all a bit premature pending what if anything we may do in free agency....but on the face of it, at this moment anyway, I don't want to draft a RB with the 3rd. However, Irsay kind of gave a hint at least in to what HE was thinking draft wise in the Pagano presser yesterday, when in the middle of his Andrew Luck diatribe said , "Imagine if we paired him with an Edgerrin James like talent, bigger and faster...." and then kind of veered away from that line of thinking.....so maybe there is some pre-disposed draft board thinking being revealed, or maybe it was Irsay just rambling. But that caught my attention anyway

Our line is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be....The sacks can be attributed to  system, long developing plays,  receivers unable to get separation, Luck and Brissett both hold on to the ball too long, no big play threat in the running game "Gore", and injuries......Guys get healthy and a competent coach to change philosophy will do wonders.....We need an upgrade at Guard, but definitely not with the #3 pick...Smh...People saying we need a LT are crazy, Costanzo is our best lineman in his prime....I think the times he struggles is because he plays hurt, and he doesn't have a good guard next to him.....

11 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Our line is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be....The sacks can be attributed to  system, long developing plays,  receivers unable to get separation, Luck and Brissett both hold on to the ball too long, no big play threat in the running game "Gore", and injuries......Guys get healthy and a competent coach to change philosophy will do wonders.....We need an upgrade at Guard, but definitely not with the #3 pick...Smh...People saying we need a LT are crazy, Costanzo is our best lineman in his prime....I think the times he struggles is because he plays hurt, and he doesn't have a good guard next to him.....

There's some truth there for sure. I'd like to see a good amount of improvement before we throw Luck back out there, but at the same time, I don't think we had a single game this year with our 5 healthy starters. I'm hoping Ballard can find some bargain bin depth like he was able to do on DL and OLB this past offseason, and maybe make a splash with a blue-chipper in the draft, possibly a trade as well. Couple that with a new offensive system that isn't completely dictated by deep passing, and we should hopefully see some positive strides.

35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That would be a mega reach, especially with how well Castonzo played in the 2nd half of the season. No sacks or QB hits over 8 games is pretty impressive.

35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That would be a mega reach, especially with how well Castonzo played in the 2nd half of the season. No sacks or QB hits over 8 games is pretty impressive.

We could draft Williams and put him at RT for 3-4 years until he takes over for AC who had a quiet great year.   

Williams or Nelson is who I'm leaning toward after a very small trade back (1-3) spots...    that could change over the next few months, but that's where I am right now.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Not thrilled with Penn State runners as have never developed in the pros except Curt Warner.

That's not a good reason not to draft somebody. Judge the individual player by his own merits . Barkley will be a beast. The question is if it's worth spending that draft capital on him rather than on much more valuable positions that we desperately need to address. 

2 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

How good is Chubb from NC st, is he a double digit sack potential guy???

IMO he is. I really liked his tape, now I need to see his testing. For a lot of positions I wouldn't put a ton of stock on the testing, but for EDGE it's almost a requirement IMO. If he tests similarly to Bosa in the agility tests(3 cone, shuttles, 10 yard split), I'd be all in for taking him. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's not a good reason not to draft somebody. Judge the individual player by his own merits . Barkley will be a beast. The question is if it's worth spending that draft capital on him rather than on much more valuable positions that we desperately need to address. 

No kidding.  I can't believe there are people who think NFL teams should (or should not) take a player because of their school...and the records of previous players who have come from that school.

We'd do just as well to evaluate players on the mother's maiden name.

Using this logic, NFL teams should've been all over Tee Martin because of how well Peyton did in the pros.

41 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think this is an interesting post...   and I agree with a fair amount of it.    

That said, I couldn't disagree more with the first sentence.   We led the league in sacks allowed.   Not sure any other team was a close second.     The same system was in place in 16 and the last 6 games of the year we allowed just 9 sacks.   That was Top-5 in the NFL for that span.   But this year, Clark, Haeg, and Good barely showed up and I think those guys have talent.    And Philbin  has a great reputation.   So SOMETHING happened.    I just don't know what yet?

But the line needs major fixes and I'm expecting major assets to be spent in both free agency and the draft.   Politically speaking, considering Luck's status, the Colts HAVE TO address the line.   This is year 7 for Luck.   We have to give him a quality line once and for all.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree.  They would have the pick of the litter at 1.  It's almost certain the Giants will take a QB as well and we could trade our pick to a QB needy team.  That would leave them with the 3rd. QB prospect.  I could see them taking a RB at four though if he's there.  They would be crazy to play roulette and hope their guy is there at 4.  I don't think there new GM is going to make that mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

How good is Chubb from NC st, is he a double digit sack potential guy???

Yes....

He's compared to Robert Quinn of the Rams.   The question is...  can Chubb convert from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB?   Quinn did.    Can Chubb?

Not everyone makes that conversion.

I would say, with the old saying, "Better be safe than sorry." Draft a QB if the elite is available.  No one can predict if Luck will be 110% better and ready for the 2018 season until around draft day.  So if the uncertainty still exist, then pull the trigger and draft a QB until Luck is clear and you see him perform flawlessly in the preseason.  In the meantime, you have a blue chip QB you can plug in if Luck is still on the shelf.  If the opposite occurs, then trade the QB you just drafted for a bundle of picks for some needy team. Makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He looks fantastic against NCAA tackles, but at the same time, when I watch him, I'm not like "whoa, this is the next JJ Watt."

Remember....

Whenn JJ Watt was in college no one saw  the JJ Warr we see today.    That's why he fell to 11th in the draft.    Everyone missed on that evaluation.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....

He's compared to Robert Quinn of the Rams.   The question is...  can Chubb convert from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB?   Quinn did.    Can Chubb?

That is the million dollar question that Ballard is contemplating. 

The suspense of this draft is going to kill me. lol 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Okay. Some of those are arguable though.

Minny is only committee because of Cooks injury. 

And how how are you defining RBBC? Some of the teams you listed have a every down RB but have either a standard backup RB to rest the starter or a RB who will soon replace the starter as the lead back. I feel like NE is the only real RBBC because they don’t have someone who consistently gets a bulk of the carries and they rotate White, Lewis, and Gillislee constantly.

Just because a guy is an every down back doesn't mean he isn't part of a committee. 

Regardless why, Minnesota is RBBC, successfully, for most of the season.

The Eagles' lead back was Blount, but now it's Ajayi, who gets about half of the carries, while Blount gets about 35% and Clement and others get the rest. That's a committee. 

In Atlanta, Freeman and Coleman are separated by 40 carries and about 200 yards, and neither of them has dominant numbers individually. That's a committee. 

Murray and Henry in Tennessee, same thing.

The Panthers leading rusher by yardage is their QB. Stewart gets more carries than McCaffrey, but McCaffrey gets just as many total touches due to his 80 receptions. Neither is used as an every down back. Committee. 

The Saints have the best 1-2 punch in the league. Ingram is the lead back with about 65% of the carries, but Kamara gets plenty of series to himself, and gets the most third down work. Obviously a committee. 

So which of those teams doesn't rely on a committee?

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....

First question is whether he'll need to convert. New coach might mean new defensive scheme.

And for me, the second question is whether he's a good pass rusher, and if so, how good. As you know, I'm not as concerned with whether a guy has to convert from DE to OLB, if he has the traits of a good pass rusher.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Our line is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be....

That's because people act like it's the worst OL in the history of the universe, which it's not.

Still, our OL is pretty doggone bad, and probably needs three new starters. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....

many of them cant because they are too slow and many get lost in space

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just because a guy is an every down back doesn't mean he isn't part of a committee. 

Regardless why, Minnesota is RBBC, successfully, for most of the season.

The Eagles' lead back was Blount, but now it's Ajayi, who gets about half of the carries, while Blount gets about 35% and Clement and others get the rest. That's a committee. 

In Atlanta, Freeman and Coleman are separated by 40 carries and about 200 yards, and neither of them has dominant numbers individually. That's a committee. 

Murray and Henry in Tennessee, same thing.

The Panthers leading rusher by yardage is their QB. Stewart gets more carries than McCaffrey, but McCaffrey gets just as many total touches due to his 80 receptions. Neither is used as an every down back. Committee. 

The Saints have the best 1-2 punch in the league. Ingram is the lead back with about 65% of the carries, but Kamara gets plenty of series to himself, and gets the most third down work. Obviously a committee. 

So which of those teams doesn't rely on a committee?

Where the back is concerned, I don't believe it will be by committee if KC guy is hired. Yes KC spells their lead backs from time to time for rest purposes or play packages but KC has always been a primary 3 down back system going all the way back to priest holmes days until present. I think if it's McDaniels then all backs would be used similar to how NE utilizes their backs. I still think Mack could be every down guy as long options are high percentage off tackle runs and designed plays to get him into space using short passes as runs essentially