Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

So far,  there are almost no reputable projections of Mayfiled or Allen going in the top-10.    

The one prediction I read that made my eyes pop out is one unnamed NFL exec predicts Cleveland, with Dorsey as the GM,  will take Allen first overall.     Said the Browns have a scout who loved Carson Wentz and wanted the Browns to take him first,  and the same scout loves Allen just as much.    That's the one and only prediction from someone reputable that I've seen.

Otherwise,  Mayfield and Allen are viewed as guys who should likely go in the middle of the first round.    Could they go higher?    Sure.    It's possible.    But as of today,  it's not likely.    Yes, it could change between now and the draft.

Remember,  Watson and Mahomes were highly thought of.    I think Watson went roughly 12th last year,  and Mahomes around 20th or so.      The top QB's don't always go at the top of the draft.    Sometimes they slip a bit and teams get them a little later.

IMO Josh Allen is better than any QB that the Broncos or Jets have. Jets pick 6th right? It wouldn't be crazy if they traded us their #6 and their 2nd Round pick for the #3 just to take Allen 3rd if Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2. Reason being the Broncos may take Allen at 5.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO Josh Allen is better than any QB that the Broncos or Jets have. Jets pick 6th right? It wouldn't be crazy if they traded us their #6 and their 2nd Round pick for the #3 just to take Allen 3rd if Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2. Reason being the Broncos may take Allen at 5.

Then the Broncos better trade us their first and second and Shane Ray before the jets do. 

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm going to wait until FA starts and see what happens. If we somehow make a couple big splashes for O-Line talent, then I could maybe see Ballard picking Barkley. But I have a bigger feeling that he will like to grab more picks and trade back.

Honestly, the Browns could take Barkley #1 overall and still land their QB at pick #4. In that scenario it's Chubb at #3 or trade back. Either way, it's going to be a long 4 months waiting just to see how those top 4 picks actually shake out.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Honestly, the Browns could take Barkley #1 overall and still land their QB at pick #4. In that scenario it's Chubb at #3 or trade back. Either way, it's going to be a long 4 months waiting just to see how those top 4 picks actually shake out.

You don't gamble on potentially missing out on the most important position in sports by selecting a low value position like RB.  If they love a QB enough to take him at 4 they will just take him at 1.

31 minutes ago, BOTT said:

You don't gamble on potentially missing out of the most important position in sports by selecting a low value position like RB.  If they love a QB enough to take him at 4 they will just take him at 1.

Yeah, if they don’t come out of this draft with the best rated QB there will be fans rushing the stadium with pitchforks.   What is it, 18 starters since they came back?

I joked about it but I wouldn’t be shocked if they took QBs at 1 and 4.  Improve the odds that they’ll get a franchise QB.  If they’re both good, then they have trade bait.  Won’t happen, but maybe it should.  

5 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

WalterFootball and USA Today have Mayfield at 6 - the Jet's are that other top 10 team in need of a QB (we presume, since they never bothered to play Hackemberg).  But your point is well taken, and isn't disproved by a couple of articles forcing a move by the Jets.  I think all of the QBs in this draft are flawed, but I will say that 2019 looks like a wasteland compared to 2018, so teams better get what they can now.  I mean, the top names might be Eason, Litton, Stidham????   And the long free agent list this year will all be signed long term.  My point is, I wouldn't be shocked to see someone try to move up this year out of panic. 

Not to be argumentative.....

But, on balance,  I'm not a fan of Walter Football.      Here's one example why.    When they do their positional rankings, take a look at their projections for the player.     So, it might say....   New Colts Fan,  Round 3-5.    

That a 3-round projection.    That's roughly 100+ spots.    I'm sorry,  but if you're doing this job right,  you should be able to do something better than rounds 3-5.     

Hell,  when I do my postings of rankings,  I not only try to nail the exact round,  I try to get it close to third of the round the player could be drafted.     So, top-10, bottom-10 and middle-12.     These guys don't get close.  

As for USA Today....    I love the newspaper,  but their draft coverage is typically terrible.   Some writer throws out his best guesses.   When they come out with the Weekly Sports Paper on Wednesday's,  that draft work is often by the group known as "Our Lads" draft guide.      Our Lads has been around FOREVER.    And they've been poor FOREVER.

Honestly,  most websites these days do mock draft projections.    Because they are CLICK BAIT.     It attracts lots of eyes on the internet.     But the people who do them typically don't know much.

So, personally,  I try to rely on ESPN.com,   NFL.com,    These are the top two by far.

Others are less good...   some are better than others,  but most I'm highly skeptical of.     I try to keep an eye on PFF,  and our friend,  the poster here known as Dustin, as a website or two that use analytics that I try to keep an eye on as well.       Some sights have video cut-ups of possible draft picks and I need to keep a close eye on those as well.

Sorry this went so long.....   wanted to cover a number of aspects of websites that offer draft material....

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Then the Broncos better trade us their first and second and Shane Ray before the jets do. 

I would freaking love Ballard if he was able to pull off a deal like that and still get an impact player at 5 like Barkley or Fitzpatrick. 

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to be argumentative.....

But, on balance,  I'm not a fan of Walter Football.      Here's one example why.    When they do their positional rankings, take a look at their projections for the player.     So, it might say....   New Colts Fan,  Round 3-5.    

That a 3-round projection.    That's roughly 100+ spots.    I'm sorry,  but if you're doing this job right,  you should be able to do something better than rounds 3-5.     

Hell,  when I do my postings of rankings,  I not only try to nail the exact round,  I try to get it close to third of the round the player could be drafted.     So, top-10, bottom-10 and middle-12.     These guys don't get close.  

As for USA Today....    I love the newspaper,  but their draft coverage is typically terrible.   Some writer throws out his best guesses.   When they come out with the Weekly Sports Paper on Wednesday's,  that draft work is often by the group known as "Our Lads" draft guide.      Our Lads has been around FOREVER.    And they've been poor FOREVER.

Honestly,  most websites these days do mock draft projections.    Because they are CLICK BAIT.     It attracts lots of eyes on the internet.     But the people who do them typically don't know much.

So, personally,  I try to rely on ESPN.com,   NFL.com,    These are the top two by far.

Others are less good...   some are better than others,  but most I'm highly skeptical of.     I try to keep an eye on PFF,  and our friend,  the poster here known as Dustin, as a website or two that use analytics that I try to keep an eye on as well.       Some sights have video cut-ups of possible draft picks and I need to keep a close eye on those as well.

Sorry this went so long.....   wanted to cover a number of aspects of websites that offer draft material....

Oh I agree with you 100%.  There is so much junk now for mock drafts, filtering through the options is tough.  But it’s like the rest of the media to me.  It’s become a Twitter world, everything is delivered in bite sized pieces.  And that isn’t how some of us prefer our information.   But alas...  

Even CBS, which has a decent dedicated draft section on their sports webasphere has “writers” like Chris Trappasso who had Orlando Brown going to the Giants at 2 in his 1/3/18 mock.  So he knew Rosen and Darnold had declared.  I think it’s sometimes a case of being different for the sake of being different.  

5 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Oh I agree with you 100%.  There is so much junk now for mock drafts, filtering through the options is tough.  But it’s like the rest of the media to me.  It’s become a Twitter world, everything is delivered in bite sized pieces.  And that isn’t how some of us prefer our information.   But alas...  

Even CBS, which has a decent dedicated draft section on their sports webasphere has “writers” like Chris Trappasso who had Orlando Brown going to the Giants at 2 in his 1/3/18 mock.  So he knew Rosen and Darnold had declared.  I think it’s sometimes a case of being different for the sake of being different.  

Yes,  different for the sake of being different if a very strong factor for all of these websites.

Becaues they want you to keep clicking on them.    And if the same player is still mocked to your favorite team for a month straight,  or two months straight,  well, the average fan is going to lose interest.      Change the name and the average fan is going to be curious about the new player that the website is now projecting.

There's a LOT of that.   

I like Orland Brown.    And maybe he works his way up to the top-10.   Maybe.   But,  two?   Second overall?

Boy, he'd have to be dazzling in workouts to do that.   I get that 6'8" and 345 attracts a lot of attention,  and his tape is good...     but....   that good?     Not that I'm reading anywhere...