Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, so based on what we know right now, what do you think the odds are that we’d draft a QB in round 1?

Probably zero but the projected QB that high behooves me that Baker Mayfield is rated third or forth to other college  football teams if he even opts to the draft. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Drew Brees injury was actually just as bad if not worse and he was better after his injury and isn't near the athlete Luck is. Brees was injured over a decade ago when technology wasn't near what it is now. Like I said we will see. Also if Luck has a better team around him which I suspect he will now that we have Ballard, he can be better because he wont have to do it all by himself. Also Luck looked thin when he was on the sideline in late September compared to the way he looks now.

If we're going to say Brees and Luck had the same operation because they both had their shoulder operated on,  then OK.     One.    But I don't get the feeling that they had the same operation or the same part of their shoulder operated on.     So, I think they're different surgeries.

As for having a better team....    well,  I sure hope so.    But as much as I love Ballard,  and I do,  I'm reminded that Grigson was the NFL GM of the year in 2012.     And then everything went wrong.    So, a great first year is not proof of the future being bright.    And again,  I love Ballard and feel good about him being our GM.

As for Luck in September?      Fine,  but September is not two months ago as you noted,  it's 4 months ago as I noted.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we're going to say Brees and Luck had the same operation because they both had their shoulder operated on,  then OK.     One.    But I don't get the feeling that they had the same operation or the same part of their shoulder operated on.     So, I think they're different surgeries.

As for having a better team....    well,  I sure hope so.    But as much as I love Ballard,  and I do,  I'm reminded that Grigson was the NFL GM of the year in 2012.     And then everything went wrong.    So, a great first year is not proof of the future being bright.    And again,  I love Ballard and feel good about him being our GM.

As for Luck in September?      Fine,  but September is not two months ago as you noted,  it's 4 months ago as I noted.

We’re all speculating, none of us have all of the facts. But several players have had similar surgeries.  Earl Thomas, Doug Martin, Luke Kuechley, I think Mark Sanchez.   

It kind of sucks that we have to go through another off season rehashing the same story.  I guess we’ll know something by OTAs, either way.  

But I still stand by my statement (opinion), there’s no way we’ll draft a QB with our first pick.  

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand why you are reluctant to trust anything or believe anything at this point because a lot of what has been said hasn't been true. I even doubt certain things but I think Luck will come back and be ready come September. If I am wrong I will admit it and say I was wrong. By the way it is more like 3 months/late September to now is basically 3 months (Oct/Nov/Dec). So I said 2 and you said 4, I call that even regarding Luck's appearance :thmup:

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Hoping Ballard is insane then

Bott just asking, You seem to like to comment on everyone else's comments, do you ever go out on a limb and post your own thoughts. I mean let's face it people  leave their self  wide open when they  post a topic. Sort of like being roasted by their peers. Are you up for the challenge? It's  easy to be the peanut gallery   and i know with your elevated perspicacity you would shed  great incite.

Just now, horseshoecrabs said:

Bott just asking, You seem to like to comment on everyone else's comments, do you ever go out on a limb and post your own thoughts. I mean let's face it people  leave their self  wide open when they  post a topic. Sort of like being roasted by their peers. Are you up for the challenge? It's  easy to be the peanut gallery   and i know with your elevated perspicacity you would shed  great incite.

Solid post /s Just get to the point and say you don't like me as a poster.

I’m going to be honest I haven’t read any of this thread.  I get Saquon is a great player but why does everyone want him so high?  He’s got zekenlike talent but our biggest issue is we have no line to block for him. I want Chubb, Williams or Nelson for the record.  Preferably trade back to 7 or 7 and get one of those guys after the QB madness. 

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I’m going to be honest I haven’t read any of this thread.  I get Saquon is a great player but why does everyone want him so high?  He’s got zekenlike talent but our biggest issue is we have no line to block for him. I want Chubb, Williams or Nelson for the record.  Preferably trade back to 7 or 7 and get one of those guys after the QB madness. 

The point is this if we can't trade back  who do we  pick?

Just now, horseshoecrabs said:

I would like to think that at the end of the day we are all Colt's fans

Honestly, I have never felt the need to start a topic.  I just open the threads that interest me.....my opinions are clearly stated and people don't seem to have a problem disagreeing with them.

You pick Chubb... our pass rush is awful and he is considered the best defensive player in the draft.  Or you take an oline to protect our franchise so we don’t get him hurt again it’s pretty simple.

You pick Chubb... our pass rush is awful and he is considered the best defensive player in the draft.  Or you take an oline to protect our franchise so we don’t get him hurt again it’s pretty simple.

that's sounds good if he's there

offense tackle not so much that high

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

there’s no way we’ll draft a QB with our first pick

Believe I will have a beer and contemplate that, lol.  Seriously, I hope you are right.  And as we all do... I hope AL is going to be fine and we can move on.

I myself didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it from him though.  One would think he would know exactly when he is going to restart the throwing program, or at least and idea of when, not just I will start when I start and no timeline.  We are in the same place we were in March of last year.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Believe I will have a beer and contemplate that, lol.  Seriously, I hope you are right.  And as we all do... I hope AL is going to be fine and we can move on.

I myself didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it from him though.  One would think he would know exactly when he is going to restart the throwing program, or at least and idea of when, not just I will start when I start and no timeline.  We are in the same place we were in March of last year.

You and a few others said the same thing about the warm and fuzzy.  I don’t get that.  He sounded extremely optimistic to me.  

But it it doesn’t matter what he says, and we won’t know anything until he taking snaps.   

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Honestly, I have never felt the need to start a topic.  I just open the threads that interest me.....my opinions are clearly stated and people don't seem to have a problem disagreeing with them.

But the fact remains your opinions are all over the place. That should not define who you are as a Colt's fan. I'm sure  fans are interested in  a sincere message you give them as to what direction you would like to see us going as a Colt fan.

1 minute ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

barkley is the only truly elite talent in the draft, the others may be good just not elite, these dont come along often, he may not be there when we pick

the giants might take him

i dont think QB is a given for them 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  but you won't like this post.    You won't be alone.

But there is no reason --- NONE -- for you or any other Colts fan to thenk that he will be "better than ever."     The best you could possibly hope for is that he's what he once was.     And I think that is highly unlikely.     But no one comes back better than they were before.      This is not pitchers in baseball after Tommy John surgery.     This is much worse.

And I don't care how encouraged Luck sounded.     Luck has sounded encouraged in every interview he has given since the operation and NOTHING has gone right.     He hasn't even thrown a pass in any workout yet and says he won't for a few more weeks.     That's a big red flag.     That was easily the worst interview/press conference Luck has given in his life.  

We are in unchartered waters here.     There is no history with this operation to a Quarterback.    You can't point to anyone else and says that guy came back after X months and did great.    This is the first of its kind.    And it is way, WAY behind schedule.    Luck can't even say when he thinks he'll be back to 100 percent.   He can't even say with any conviction that he won't need another surgery.   He says he THINKS he won't.    That's far from encouraging.    Another red flag. 

And he does NOT look better than he did 2 months ago.    He looks the exact same.     But he does look better than he did 4-6 months ago.    There were all sorts of threads during the season about how Luck has put the weight back on and how good he looked.     Luck himself said he was back to 235 months ago.    Your memory is playing tricks on you. 

There is very little for me as a Colts fan, or a Luck fan,  to feel encouraged about.     I only hope Luck and Ballard have an honest heart-to-heart talk in April so Ballard can decide if he needs to draft another QB with a 1st or 2nd round pick.      Because we may have to.     Luck has been wrong in almost everyone of his predictions about his health.   I hope he's not wrong again.

OK, I'll take a shot at it. Drew Brees

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We’re all speculating, none of us have all of the facts. But several players have had similar surgeries.  Earl Thomas, Doug Martin, Luke Kuechley, I think Mark Sanchez.   

It kind of sucks that we have to go through another off season rehashing the same story.  I guess we’ll know something by OTAs, either way.  

But I still stand by my statement (opinion), there’s no way we’ll draft a QB with our first pick.  

I'm not trying to imply that we will use our first round pick in a QB...      we may find who we want at the top if the second round.    I think that's entirely possible.

I'm sorry to be muster Gloom and Doom.  I seriously don't like being That Guy.   I'd prefer to be wrong about Luck.    I just don't like the way this is unfolding.   Nothing feels right to me.    I still hope for the best,  but I fear the worst.

19 minutes ago, ColtsCharm said:

OK, I'll take a shot at it. Drew Brees

First,  we don't know if it's the same operation.     We only know that they both had shoulder surgery's.    There are a number of things in the shoulder that can make it difference.

Second,  we don't know if Brees is better than ever.     We only know that he got healthy and got to a better team and a better coach.     He's also more experienced than he was when he was injured.

p.s. -- I'm not familiar with you.    A check of your profile says you've been a member since 2011.   And this is only your 11th post in all that time!    Wow!     Good to see you posting.    Hope you enjoy the website!

14 hours ago, krunk said:

I like Barkley but I'm less inclined to go that route as I was earlier. I think if you are running a RBBC system then you wont look for a 30 carries a game type of runner. The guys who fit the committee system you can get later on. I'd probably get an elite player at another position. Maybe you give Barkley more consideration if you know you want one guy who takes the Bulk of the carries.

You’d have to point me to the example of a team today besides the Patriots who employee a successful RBBC. You could say the Saints but Ingram was a 1st rounder. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’d have to point me to the example of a team today besides the Patriots who employee a successful RBBC. You could say the Saints but Ingram was a 1st rounder. 

A first rounder who has played like a mid rounder most of his career.

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

He may be good, but we have no OL for him to run behind. Gotta protect the QB first and foremost. 

I think we must find out who is going to be signed as free agents before thinking about a 1st round RB. I agree with you on shoring up the O-line has to be the top priority.

I know we need a pass rusher but without keeping our QB healthy a pass rusher is not going to get us many wins.

41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Vikings do very well by using RBBC even after loosing their starting RB.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Vikings do very well by using RBBC even after loosing their starting RB.

Ok....    I'm going by thus year's playoff teams....

NFC.   rbbc

Phi, Min, NO, Car, Atl.    5 of the 6 teams. Only the Rams with  Gurley is the exception.

AFC.    rbbc

NE,  Jac,  Tenn,    3 if the 6.    Only Pitt with Bell, KC with Hunt, and Buff with McCoy are exceptions.

In all, 8 of the 12 playoff teams.   

PS --   Sorry CC, this was intended for Defjamz, not you.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sorry...   I responded to the wrong post...  check out my reply to CrazyColt in the post just above to see the details.

12 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

barkley is the only truly elite talent in the draft, the others may be good just not elite, these dont come along often, he may not be there when we pick

Exactly , you don't pick for need just to fill a need. They have a a lot of money to plug holes with and other picks.