Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Regarding Chubb, the thing that worries me is he isn't a safe pick. And he's not elite. The players I consider safe and elite are Barkley, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson.

Bingo. With a pick that high, you take the best player available regardless of position. Barkley is more talented and a higher impact position. If he’s there, Colts have to take him unless some other team offers a huge deal to move up.

Go look at the 1994 draft. The year we took Marshall Faulk. If the colts were making the pick again which player would you take in the top 15 over Faulk if the Colts had made a trade? 

Now do the same in 1999 the year that James was drafted. (Bailey is the only person that would be in the discussion)

Point is that Barkley is suppose to be better than Faulk or James. 

I have watched Cubb's film. He is slow. I know a lot of you all are Notre Dame Fans. Go look at this game against ND. He was not that impressive. He will be a good player but I do not believe he is a game changer to be selected at number 3. 

17 minutes ago, Restored said:

Bingo. With a pick that high, you take the best player available regardless of position. Barkley is more talented and a higher impact position. If he’s there, Colts have to take him unless some other team offers a huge deal to move up.

So if Nelson is number 1 on the Browns board they should take him with the first pick?

54 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Barkley seems like a great back with home run ability!  Nice if you have a line as a Penn st fan pointed out! This is going to get real  interesting  as Ballard has said since he has been here  Best available player regardless of position! Easier said than done!  You could trade you down, but when you do your going down in talent level as well, which increases the odds of the player being a bust! I am a fan of trading down IF players talent level are simalar has say 5 or 6 other players and you get one of them!! Picking at 3 we proabley can pick the very best player on the draft board outside of say a QB which I don't think we need and are overvalued anyway. Cleveland and the NYG could trade down like the colts an Barkley,Chubb or Nelson could be gone! With a secnero like that QB's would drop! To me the biggest needs for the colts are pass rusher, OL espseialy guard, ILB, RB, then WR, TE in that order. The colt guards IMO are not that bad of run blockers they seem to struggle in pass blocking you could draft Barkley sign a guard and hope for the best? To me if Chubb is all he is suppose to be he is AWFULLY HARD to pass on because pass rushers of his size that can play the run to with a motor make the the entire defense better! With the pieces the defense has now, wow the Colts might have the makings of WHAATTTT a  dominant defense!! As a long time Colts fan haven't seen that in a VERY long time! Nelson is a no brainer he's really good and it's a position of extreme need IMO! I would be happy with any of the 3! I think I would be happiest with Chubb though, sign a guard, draft a guard say like I believe  Fernandez  From UTEP in the hopefully 3rd rd and find a ILB in the 2nd who can run and hit, and a serviceable RB in the 4th a north an south type of runner to change it up from Mack, maybe sign Gore for one more year! Now if you were offered 2 first round picks and maybe a 3rd or 2nd you know stupid stuff like that might have to re think it, because the team as is IMO with a healthy Luck which I think he will be is a 8/12 win team! We won't get to pick this high for some time again IMO have to maximize our opportunity! I guess it's in Ballard we trust!! He is going to earn his money on this one! Irsay said Ballard  reminded him of Pollian here is his chance to make his mark!!

Paragraphs man lol

The Rams and the Jags both had stacked defensive rosters when they took Gurley and Fournette so it made more sense for them to pick a RB high. I love Barkley, I just don't like the value of picking a RB high. The pass rusher talent drop off from first and second round is way more than the talent drop off for running backs. If you get Demarcus Lawrence in FA, then by all means go after Barkley but I don't see that happening.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

So if Nelson is number 1 on the Browns board they should take him with the first pick?

Well if that's who's at the top of their list and they want to go the route sure. It is the Browns we are talking about.

that said, im all for BPA but when you have 3 players at 3 different positions that all have a case that they  could be the 3rd pick, I think you have to go with need at that point, so that leaves Chubb or Nelson. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well if that's who's at the top of their list and they want to go the route sure. It is the Browns we are talking about.

that said, im all for BPA but when you have 3 players at 3 different positions that all have a case that they  could be the 3rd pick, I think you have to go with need at that point, so that leaves Chubb or Nelson. 

If they want to sure, but they aren't that stupid.

5 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The Rams and the Jags both had stacked defensive rosters when they took Gurley and Fournette so it made more sense for them to pick a RB high. I love Barkley, I just don't like the value of picking a RB high. The pass rusher talent drop off from first and second round is way more than the talent drop off for running backs. If you get Demarcus Lawrence in FA, then by all means go after Barkley but I don't see that happening.

If the Colts could magically land Lawrence, I would still draft Fitzpatrick or Chubb....or at least trade out of the top 10 and draft Nelson.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If they want to sure, but they aren't that stupid.

There’s no way the Browns would take a G with their first pick, they have to take the best QB on the board.  

Nelson at 4 is a stretch for them too, but it would be a smart pick.  

Just now, Smonroe said:

There’s no way the Browns would take a G with their first pick, they have to take the best QB on the board.  

I wouldnt take a guard in the top 10, but that's just me.

Luck just missed an entire season and is still rehabbing.  Again, from my perspective, the #1 goal this offseason is to protect Luck.  If you can retool the O-line in free agency and add a RB who can take over games, where all Luck has to do at times is hand the ball off or complete dumpoffs, what more could you do to protect him?  Also, if you had an elite running game which teams had to honor, Luck, just with the receivers we have now, would be absolutely lethal. 

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Barkley seems like a great back with home run ability!  Nice if you have a line as a Penn st fan pointed out! This is going to get real  interesting  as Ballard has said since he has been here  Best available player regardless of position! Easier said than done!  You could trade you down, but when you do your going down in talent level as well, which increases the odds of the player being a bust! I am a fan of trading down IF players talent level are simalar has say 5 or 6 other players and you get one of them!! Picking at 3 we proabley can pick the very best player on the draft board outside of say a QB which I don't think we need and are overvalued anyway. Cleveland and the NYG could trade down like the colts an Barkley,Chubb or Nelson could be gone! With a secnero like that QB's would drop! To me the biggest needs for the colts are pass rusher, OL espseialy guard, ILB, RB, then WR, TE in that order. The colt guards IMO are not that bad of run blockers they seem to struggle in pass blocking you could draft Barkley sign a guard and hope for the best? To me if Chubb is all he is suppose to be he is AWFULLY HARD to pass on because pass rushers of his size that can play the run to with a motor make the the entire defense better! With the pieces the defense has now, wow the Colts might have the makings of WHAATTTT a  dominant defense!! As a long time Colts fan haven't seen that in a VERY long time! Nelson is a no brainer he's really good and it's a position of extreme need IMO! I would be happy with any of the 3! I think I would be happiest with Chubb though, sign a guard, draft a guard say like I believe  Fernandez  From UTEP in the hopefully 3rd rd and find a ILB in the 2nd who can run and hit, and a serviceable RB in the 4th a north an south type of runner to change it up from Mack, maybe sign Gore for one more year! Now if you were offered 2 first round picks and maybe a 3rd or 2nd you know stupid stuff like that might have to re think it, because the team as is IMO with a healthy Luck which I think he will be is a 8/12 win team! We won't get to pick this high for some time again IMO have to maximize our opportunity! I guess it's in Ballard we trust!! He is going to earn his money on this one! Irsay said Ballard  reminded him of Pollian here is his chance to make his mark!!

QB’s are over valued? Please explain.

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

Luck just missed an entire season and is still rehabbing.  Again, from my perspective, the #1 goal this offseason is to protect Luck.  If you can retool the O-line in free agency and add a RB who can take over games, where all Luck has to do at times is hand the ball off or complete dumpoffs, what more could you do to protect him?  Also, if you had an elite running game which teams had to honor, Luck, just with the receivers we have now, would be absolutely lethal. 

Then just trade Luck and his contract for a mediocre QB

56 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Go look at the 1994 draft. The year we took Marshall Faulk. If the colts were making the pick again which player would you take in the top 15 over Faulk if the Colts had made a trade? 

Now do the same in 1999 the year that James was drafted. (Bailey is the only person that would be in the discussion)

Point is that Barkley is suppose to be better than Faulk or James. 

I have watched Cubb's film. He is slow. I know a lot of you all are Notre Dame Fans. Go look at this game against ND. He was not that impressive. He will be a good player but I do not believe he is a game changer to be selected at number 3. 

It's not 1994 or 1999 anymore...

38 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No it's not considering they have Bitonio and Zeitler who they re-signed and signed, respectively, for huge money. Both of them are studs, relatively young and cap cost to cut/trade them would be huge.

17 minutes ago, Finball said:

It's not 1994 or 1999 anymore...

No it's not considering they have Bitonio and Zeitler who they re-signed and signed, respectively, for huge money. Both of them are studs, relatively young and cap cost to cut/trade them would be huge.

Good point.  I haven’t studied the Browns, obviously.

13 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I think it would be wise to draft the best player in the draft

matter of opinion

especially when you are comparing a guard, edge rusher and running back.  i think most would put chubb behind the other two, but he plays a more important position.

weird spot to be in, guards and backs are not usually highly valued in the draft 

It is interesting to see the different reasons fans use as to why or why not a player should be taken, because of the # they might drafted at. Nearly every position....nearly every position...is worthy of a top 3 pick. If I could see into the future of Adam Vinatieri before his draft,  I wouldn't hesitate at this years spot if I were the Pats of that year. The difference by position, however, is odds. The odds of a kicker being not just a game changer...but a franchise changer are far less likely than a QB, RB, CB, LT, MLB, or other....

So those statements of "you dont take that position at that spot", dont hold water with me. You wouldn't take John Hannah, Bruce Matthews, or Larry Allen at 3 if you knew what they would become? Yet I see, don't take a G with the #3 spot. Look, it is in the eyes of the men in that room as to  whether there might be a game changer, or a franchise changer in this draft regardless of their position

The Colts need so many players...rather than listing their value in correlation to #3, how about they take the one man at #3 that they envision playing for over 10 years, and going to at least a few pro bowls. And even though the odds aren't better for the next pick to do the same...it is also very possible that the next pick or two could exceed the first pick. Happens all the time. 

Regardless of need, I just want the Colts to finally take a game changing LB. Please...someone that offenses have to adjust for every play. I don't care what slot they take him in. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'm referring to his athleticism and skill set. Unless he wows at the combine with Von Miller type athleticism, he could be just another pass rusher that had great stats in college but once he got to the NFL level he couldn't beat pro tackles with just technique and effort ala Bjoern Werner. 

If you are waiting on Von miller type athletic ability you are rarely going to draft a edge rusher.

55 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

It is interesting to see the different reasons fans use as to why or why not a player should be taken, because of the # they might drafted at. Nearly every position....nearly every position...is worthy of a top 3 pick. If I could see into the future of Adam Vinatieri before his draft,  I wouldn't hesitate at this years spot if I were the Pats of that year. The difference by position, however, is odds. The odds of a kicker being not just a game changer...but a franchise changer are far less likely than a QB, RB, CB, LT, MLB, or other....

So those statements of "you dont take that position at that spot", dont hold water with me. You wouldn't take John Hannah, Bruce Matthews, or Larry Allen at 3 if you knew what they would become? Yet I see, don't take a G with the #3 spot. Look, it is in the eyes of the men in that room as to  whether there might be a game changer, or a franchise changer in this draft regardless of their position

The Colts need so many players...rather than listing their value in correlation to #3, how about they take the one man at #3 that they envision playing for over 10 years, and going to at least a few pro bowls. And even though the odds aren't better for the next pick to do the same...it is also very possible that the next pick or two could exceed the first pick. Happens all the time. 

Regardless of need, I just want the Colts to finally take a game changing LB. Please...someone that offenses have to adjust for every play. I don't care what slot they take him in. 

Yes, with the benefit of hindsight any position is worth a high pick.  Unfortunately, we don't have that.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

If they truly believe that he is the most talented player then yes. But the only exceptions teams should make is for a QB. Obviously if the most talented player is a QB the Colts shouldn’t take one but if the Browns see a potential franchise QB that is near the same grade as say a guard, then they should take the QB. It’s one of those positions that’s more weighted then the others obviously.

I'm of the opinion that we need to fill holes throughout the team rather than draft a RB in the top 5. Barkley is great but what will it matter if we still can't pass protect or run block? Good teams are have solid players everywhere, not a few great players at a couple positions with holes throughout the roster.

15 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

We can still get good players in the draft , but if Barkley is opting for the NFL he would be a bigger impact player. if Luck is alright.

Yeah, but we need o-lineman.It doesn't do any good to draft a great running back if there no one to block for them. 

6 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Is that actually true any more though? 

Who were the last super bowl winners to be have built an elite o-line? Can't remember the last time New England drafted a lineman in an early round for example.

Their o-line and d front 7 have been amazing for years. They also have Brady. A Manning/Brady make a line waaaay better

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Their o-line and d front 7 have been amazing for years. They also have Brady. A Manning/Brady make a line waaaay better

I wouldn't say their Oline has been amazing for years.  Their system helps cover it up though.

wait a minute!!  Use a system that protects your QB??? Wow, what a unique concept!!

4 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

QB’s are over valued? Please explain.

If you don't have a QB teams sometimes over value the QB's comeing out because it's a premium position. Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Johnny Mansal, Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, just to name a few! Of these guy really the only one who should have been a 1st round pick was Leaf ability wise. if you did home work on his character maybe not!

My point is these guys jump up draft boards because they are QB's not because they are the best players on the board. Teams risk going for them because without a good one your team  typically sucks! This Philosophy kills teams from a financial aspect and time aspect because you typically have to give them time .  When they don't pan out general managers and coaches get fired.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I'd say that they get amazing results mainly utilizing unheralded players on the o-line. They're certainly not "built through the trenches" though, they just know how to build a unit and ride their exceptional quarterback.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'd say that they get amazing results mainly utilizing unheralded players on the o-line. They're certainly not "built through the trenches" though, they just know how to build a unit and ride their exceptional quarterback.

Well, it also helps to have one of the best Oline coaches in the league.

They do generally use their premium picks on the front 7 though.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

They invest high picks on the defensive line and have at the  offense tackle as well!  The difference is they don't have to do it very often because there are usually good or fit there system and stay around long enough to trade or let go and start again!