Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

10 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Please let us not forget that we gave up the most sacks in NFL this year and probably had the least amount achieved by defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches and  that is where his focus will be. 

Defense is going to be fine. We had a QB that never learned how to throw the ball away was a big reason for a lot of those sacks.  But they are still below average there , that can be addressed  multiple ways.  

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Please let us not forget that we gave up the most sacks in NFL this year and probably had the least amount achieved by defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches and  that is where his focus will be. 

This year? Try being near the top of the league in sacks for a few years. Even before Luck got hurt he was one of the most sacked QBs in the league. I am with you when you bring up the trenches.

Too many forum members want the "name" player drafted when it wont matter till the offensive line is fixed.

I've of the opinion that an elite pass rusher is more rare than an elite offensive lineman or elite running back. As others have pointed out, the run-blocking of our o-line probably wouldn't allow a good running back to reach his full potential. This team desperately needs a pass rusher. If Bradley Chubb is available with the 3rd pick, I say don't trade down. Take Chubb.

2 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I've of the opinion that an elite pass rusher is more rare than an elite offensive lineman or elite running back. As others have pointed out, the run-blocking of our o-line probably wouldn't allow a good running back to reach his full potential. This team desperately needs a pass rusher. If Bradley Chubb is available with the 3rd pick, I say don't trade down. Take Chubb.

i agree.  im not sure that chubb will be elite, but i think hes good enough and by far the best that the colts will be able to get 

17 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Defense is going to be fine. We had a QB that never learned how to throw the ball away was a big reason for a lot of those sacks.  But they are still below average there , that can be addressed  multiple ways.  

Brissett wasn't the problem with the huge sack numbers. That started out long before Brissett was traded for.

You are wrong when you say they are below average. The Colts have given up near the top of the league in sacks every since Luck was drafted.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i agree.  im not sure that chubb will be elite, but i think hes good enough and by far the best that the colts will be able to get 

If you cant tell by my handle, i am also a die hard ND fan. We played against Chubb twice, and shut him down twice. We also made Landry from BC an absolute non factor. I just feel this is a name thing, not saying he isn't good. I must have some kind of mental block (no pun inteneded), telling me we need, well, blockers. Elite line play can keep our franchise off the gurney. 

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Brissett wasn't the problem with the huge sack numbers. That started out long before Brissett was traded for.

You are wrong when you say they are below average. The Colts have given up near the top of the league in sacks every since Luck was drafted.

Brissett was a big reason for a lot of those sacks . And that being said, the line still needs work.  Not enough depth there . Luck had the same problem , holding onto the ball too long , but he was much more elusive and skilled than Brissett is.  The fact they know that the line is banged up and thin yet still continue to employ a downhill , long developing passing game is also relevant. I watch the plays unfold at the game and a lot of these routes require these guys blocking for an eternity . As soon as Brissett realizes his guy isn't open he has issues . They just have never been able to bring themselves to making the offense more balanced.  

4 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

If you cant tell by my handle, i am also a die hard ND fan. We played against Chubb twice, and shut him down twice. We also made Landry from BC an absolute non factor. I just feel this is a name thing, not saying he isn't good. I must have some kind of mental block (no pun inteneded), telling me we need, well, blockers. Elite line play can keep our franchise off the gurney. 

i could live with that, he should be a fairly safe pick and play well next to kelly

its looking like this isnt the greatest year to have lots of money and high picks.  ideally i would spend on Oline in FA, then bring in RBs and WRs with whats left,  then draft defense 

If we pass on Barkley it will haunt us for years......His presence alone will help the line tremendously. ...History repeats itself, this is Luck's Edgerrin James, and will make our offense extremely dangerous....We have 85 million in cap to address the oline as well as picks at the top of rounds 2-7...I think a new competent coaching staff and guys healthy from injuries will get the most out of the talent we have.......THERE is a lot of young talent in that building....This isn't 2011, this team was very competitive despite the injuries, and no Luck....

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If we pass on Barkley it will haunt us for years......His presence alone will help the line tremendously. ...History repeats itself, this is Luck's Edgerrin James, and will make our offense extremely dangerous....We have 85 million in cap to address the oline as well as picks at the top of rounds 2-7...I think a new competent coaching staff and guys healthy from injuries will get the most out of the talent we have.......THERE is a lot of young talent in that building....This isn't 2011, this team was very competitive despite the injuries, and no Luck....

Simple concept that is flying over people's heads.  He's better than Zeke imo. 

6 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Brissett was a big reason for a lot of those sacks . And that being said, the line still needs work.  Not enough depth there . Luck had the same problem , holding onto the ball too long , but he was much more elusive and skilled than Brissett is.  The fact they know that the line is banged up and thin yet still continue to employ a downhill , long developing passing game is also relevant. I watch the plays unfold at the game and a lot of these routes require these guys blocking for an eternity . As soon as Brissett realizes his guy isn't open he has issues . They just have never been able to bring themselves to making the offense more balanced.  

I think you are putting the blame too much on play calling.

Not only does the Colts give up huge sack numbers they have no running game. We have had one of the best runners in the NFL for three years now and he has had what, 3 or 4 games on a hundred yards?  And Gore having those type of numbers sure hasn't been from lack of use.

That is a direct result in lack of offensive line play.

Add in a WR like Allen Robinson or Martavious Bryant we are instantly the most dangerous offense in NFL....Barkley is the Best football player in the draft since Andrew Luck regardless of position...I have a feeling Browns take him 1st sadly...They can still get QB at 4..

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Nothing is flying over anyone's head. You may think you are smarter by throwing insults out but it don't work here.

Differences in opinions is what is going on. Maybe that is over your head?

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Add in a WR like Allen Robinson or Martavious Bryant we are instantly the most dangerous offense in NFL....Barkley is the Best football player in the draft since Andrew Luck regardless of position...I have a feeling Browns take him 1st sadly...They can still get QB at 4..

Giants may be looking at that too. Maybe this win over the Texans costs us , but I don't think like that really. The Browns can literally do anything . Will the Giants bring back Eli or is he toast? 

31 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Same guy that cries I'm insulting and everyone has an opinion tells me I'm dead wrong.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are wrong when you said the sack numbers are below average. Those are numbers that can be verified. It's not an opinion.

I never said that . Where did I say that ? They are skewed is what I said. Colts have been running a downfield passing game for years and currently have a QB that has consistently held onto the ball too long , had problems checking down.  Even Luck has had that problem . You can't put it all on the line.  They make little effort to establish the run , ever . If you read my posts , I never said they were even average on the line.  They need depth.

8 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

And guess what, there are a couple of kids that will be coming out in next couple of years that is better than both. 1 from Wisconsin and 1 from Georgia (Swift). It just seems criminal to neglect, again, our most important player. FA lineman have not worked well for us in recent memory, i could be wrong with that. Our question here at our first pick is tackle or guard imo. 

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I never said that . Where did I say that ? They are skewed is what I said. 

The facts of how many sacks the Colts have given up are not skewed. No matter what plays are called the team has to have the talent to make any play called work. The offensive line play of the Colts is offensive to call it an offensive line.

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

You are the undisputed king of hyperbole.

Just now, ND Irish said:

And guess what, there are a couple of kids that will be coming out in next couple of years that is better than both. 1 from Wisconsin and 1 from Georgia (Swift). It just seems criminal to neglect, again, our most important player. FA lineman have not worked well for us in recent memory, i could be wrong with that. Our question here at our first pick is tackle or guard imo. 

That could be . But I feel Barkley is an elite talent . The Colts have been getting their QBs beat to hell by never even attempting to being a balanced offense.  Feel like line could be addressed in free agency.  It's an offensive league.   You think Taylor is better than Barkley ? Or another Wisky system player.  

36 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

The reason the Irish shut down Chubb is the great play by the offensive line for sure.

That is my point all along.

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are putting the blame too much on play calling.

Not only does the Colts give up huge sack numbers they have no running game. We have had one of the best runners in the NFL for three years now and he has had what, 3 or 4 games on a hundred yards?  And Gore having those type of numbers sure hasn't been from lack of use.

That is a direct result in lack of offensive line play.

3 of this year's starters have barely played.  That doesn't help . They need an upgrade at one tackle , maybe both guards.  Castonzo was terrible early , actually got it together last half of season. 

1 minute ago, ND Irish said:

Yep, Taylor. Kid is a beast. I feel ya man, i want the best too. 

Those Wisky guys get holes like nobody.  Dayne, Moss, the kid , escapes me now, the Colts drafted about 10 years ago. None of em doing much in the league.  

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

Every year in this forum its draft oline build the trenches smh....We have spent a second, first, and third on oline recently.....mewhort, kelly, clark.....Maybe it's the coaches just saying? Maybe we should try a different approach and sign the best young Guard, and right tackle available in free agency and overpay if necessary...Get a young player who is NFL proven instead of drafting an unknown..The truth is most olineman coming out of college aren't prepared for NFL, and 75% of league has offensive line issues including the Patriots....Everyone uses Dallas as an example with all their high picks on offensive line.What did that get them really? They had 1 good season and a one and done in playoffs....Coaching and superstars is what wins in this league....Barkley is gonna be an elite superstar player, no injury or character concerns either.....It is a slam dunk easy decision....You dont take a  Guard at #3, and Chubb is good not elite, and doesn't fit 3-4..

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

I don’t want to fit a square peg in a round hole though.  If we stay 3-4 I’d be happy trading down and getting key or Landry as olb 

24 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Those Wisky guys get holes like nobody.  Dayne, Moss, the kid , escapes me now, the Colts drafted about 10 years ago. None of em doing much in the league.  

Melvin Gordon doing ok i think, and the kid just about broke Petersons freshman record. My point was really that there will be another elite rb talent in near future. Gamebreaking elite players are hard to come by, 100% agree there. But i cant say Barkley is a generational type talent such as Luck was touted to be coming in. Ballard is in a very difficult predicament. Lord help our Colts.

59 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I believe the Browns will take him also.  In that case, our pick at 3 becomes more valuable in a trade to any team looking for a QB.

15 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don’t want to fit a square peg in a round hole though.  If we stay 3-4 I’d be happy trading down and getting key or Landry as olb 

im kind of hoping for a switch to a 4-3.  i think everyone we have signed with the exception of anderson would do well

chubb is a factor, but not the reason i want to change, i think its easier to find players for 

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im kind of hoping for a switch to a 4-3.  i think everyone we have signed with the exception of anderson would do well

chubb is a factor, but not the reason i want to change, i think its easier to find players for 

i concur, it is easier to find pass rushing defensive ends than rush olbs, we dont as of now have any lbs that should be starting in a 3-4, they are all below average

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The facts of how many sacks the Colts have given up are not skewed. No matter what plays are called the team has to have the talent to make any play called work. The offensive line play of the Colts is offensive to call it an offensive line.

i concur, i say spend money on top free agents for our o-line, it usually takes awhile for o-line draft picks to develop, luck cant wait any longer

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....    I'm going by thus year's playoff teams....

NFC.   rbbc

Phi, Min, NO, Car, Atl.    5 of the 6 teams. Only the Rams with  Gurley is the exception.

AFC.    rbbc

NE,  Jac,  Tenn,    3 if the 6.    Only Pitt with Bell, KC with Hunt, and Buff with McCoy are exceptions.

In all, 8 of the 12 playoff teams.   

PS --   Sorry CC, this was intended for Defjamz, not you.

I'd say the Jaguars have a dominant lead back, not RBBC. Fournette has 150 more carries than Ivory, about 700 more yards, and 8 more TDs.

Even still, of the 4-5 playoff teams that have one dominant lead back, only the Jaguars and Rams are relying primarily on a back they drafted in the first round. Bell was a 2nd rounder, Hunt a 3rd rounder, McCoy a 2nd rounder. 

2 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Melvin Gordon doing ok i think, and the kid just about broke Petersons freshman record. My point was really that there will be another elite rb talent in near future. Gamebreaking elite players are hard to come by, 100% agree there. But i cant say Barkley is a generational type talent such as Luck was touted to be coming in. Ballard is in a very difficult predicament. Lord help our Colts.

Gordon has a 3.8 Ypc, barely over 1000 yards, meh. You could get that anywhere .  It may be a moot point anyway . I think either the Brown's or Giants are going to take him anyway.