Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, it also helps to have one of the best Oline coaches in the league.

They do generally use their premium picks on the front 7 though.

Agree with all that. Looking at recent history I'd say that championships are built on elite quarterbacks and smothering defenses that stop the opposition's QB. 

The "trenches" statement seems to be a bit of a throwback when you look into it .

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, austriancolt said:

Barkley behind a line that can't block and pass protect that will be huuuuuuuuge! Trade back and draft Quenton Nelson! 

What if Ballard goes all out in Free Agency and ‘fixes’ the Oline?  Is he a generational RB like Zeke?  Could he be our Edge?

I’m not sold on Barkley, simply because I’ve seen him stopped cold by decent college defenses.  I haven’t studied his game, can he pick up a blitz, does he have good hands?

34 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Did Barkley benefit from a massive O-Line...the way Trent Richardson did at Alabama?

The opposite... Barkley is an excellent RB prospect and has receiving and pass blocking skills too.. It just comes down to how high one values the RB position.

15 minutes ago, Finball said:

The opposite... Barkley is an excellent RB prospect and has receiving and pass blocking skills too.. It just comes down to how high one values the RB position.

He has all the measurables and some have said he’s a better prospect than Zeke.  If that were all true and Ballard fixed the line in free agency...I think you have to take him.

Still, against the Buckeyes and MSU...

24 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He has all the measurables and some have said he’s a better prospect than Zeke.  If that were all true and Ballard fixed the line in free agency...I think you have to take him.

Still, against the Buckeyes and MSU...

Saw a nice stat on that, of Barkleys 44 total rushing yards against the Buckeyes, 62 were after contact. Yes, you read that correctly.

58 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So you’d take Rosen, Darnold, or Jackson if they were the best player on the board?

I’m glad you’re not our GM.  

Why not? We aren’t graneteed a healthy luck next year so if one of those guys is the best player on the board you take the best player it’s pretty simple 

14 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Why not? We aren’t graneteed a healthy luck next year so if one of those guys is the best player on the board you take the best player it’s pretty simple 

If you’re for real, then your last word is applicable.  

28 minutes ago, Finball said:

Saw a nice stat on that, of Barkleys 44 total rushing yards against the Buckeyes, 62 were after contact. Yes, you read that correctly.

Lol!  Sounds like they’re including his KO return.

It reminds me of the time my buddy said “If our offense can score more points than our defense gives up, we have a pretty good chance to win.”

26 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

Neither one of them I would bet is going to be even as good as Brissett. USC QB was embarrassing against Ohio State and turns the ball over way to much.  Rosen looks ok , but I wouldn't bet much on that either . 

18 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Lol!  Sounds like they’re including his KO return.

It reminds me of the time my buddy said “If our offense can score more points than our defense gives up, we have a pretty good chance to win.”

I'm not even worried about the Colts defense . They have some serious young talent on there and I think if they can get another pass rusher in there they could be plenty good enough.  The line looks good, the CB have potential , Hooker back there. The NFL is an offensive league .  

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If you’re for real, then your last word is applicable.  

I don't know why you'd take exception to the posters comment about Luck?

The Colts have no idea if Luck is going to ever be the same.    And they may not a better idea by late April when draft decisions have to be made.

Luck may not get better and Indy may have to draft another quarterback.    I don't think that's a long shot, I think it's a decent possibility.

I hope I'm wrong,  but I wasn't impressed with what Luck had to say.

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gurley and Melvin were mid-first round picks, Derrick Henry wasn't even drafted in the first round. Only Elliott of the 4 fits your narrative. We could easily trade down and still get a playmaker along with more picks to fix this team. Malik Hooker from last year comes to mind as well as Ryan Kelly from 2016. We need a team around Luck and this is our best chance to do it while we have this rare, high pick.

Gurley was 10th overall had the talent to be top 5.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts have no idea if Luck is going to ever be the same.    And they may not a better idea by late April when draft decisions have to be made.

Luck may not get better and Indy may have to draft another quarterback.    I don't think that's a long shot, I think it's a decent possibility.

I think Luck will comeback better than ever. What do I base that on - nothing factual but he is only 28 and will have another Offseason to rehab and get healthy. His type of injury doesn't end career's, not with todays technology. He looks 100% better than he did 2 months ago as well. He has put on at least 30 pounds over the last 2 months, looked healthy on the sideline today. I don't think he said anything odd during his interview that would make me scratch my head, he just isn't sure yet about a few things and doesn't want to mislead anyone. He sounded encouraged to me overall so we will see.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why you weren’t impressed with what he said.  He looked great, and sounded extremely optimistic.   He said he feels like he won’t need another surgery.  

Sure, anything could happen, but short of him getting hit by a truck they won’t draft another QB.  Brissett has shown he could be a capable starter if need be.  

So I’ll say it like this - if things are like they are now, with Luck rehabbing, there’s no way we’d take a QB at 3 or in the first round.  

Its my opinion, but I feel pretty confident in it.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t know why you weren’t impressed with what he said.  He looked great, and sounded extremely optimistic.   He said he feels like he won’t need another surgery.  

Sure, anything could happen, but short of him getting hit by a truck they won’t draft another QB.  Brissett has shown he could be a capable starter if need be.  

So I’ll say it like this - if things are like they are now, with Luck rehabbing, there’s no way we’d take a QB at 3 or in the first round.  

I agree

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not impressed by what Luck said, but I wasn't looking to be impressed, either. To be honest, it was a dog and pony show, which is what it was meant to be. 

I'll be impressed when he's back on the field. I'm still optimistic that will happen at some point before training camp, and that's really all that matters. 

17 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I'm not even worried about the Colts defense . They have some serious young talent on there and I think if they can get another pass rusher in there they could be plenty good enough.  The line looks good, the CB have potential , Hooker back there. The NFL is an offensive league .  

Where do you propose we get said pass rusher?

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

What if Ballard goes all out in Free Agency and ‘fixes’ the Oline?  Is he a generational RB like Zeke?  Could he be our Edge?

I’m not sold on Barkley, simply because I’ve seen him stopped cold by decent college defenses.  I haven’t studied his game, can he pick up a blitz, does he have good hands?

I don't think Barkley has a flaw to his game. I've been watching him over the past week, and then I watched him perform at a high level in their bowl game (against a weak defense, but his athleticism is outrageous). I don't doubt that he'll be a bell cow back in the NFL, like Zeke and Gurley and others. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not impressed by what Luck said, but I wasn't looking to be impressed, either. To be honest, it was a dog and pony show, which is what it was meant to be. 

I'll be impressed when he's back on the field. I'm still optimistic that will happen at some point before training camp, and that's really all that matters. 

Okay, so based on what we know right now, what do you think the odds are that we’d draft a QB in round 1?

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Luck will comeback better than ever. What do I base that on - nothing factual but he is only 28 and will have another Offseason to rehab and get healthy. His type of injury doesn't end career's, not with todays technology. He looks 100% better than he did 2 months ago as well. He has put on at least 30 pounds over the last 2 months, looked healthy on the sideline today. I don't think he said anything odd during his interview that would make me scratch my head, he just isn't sure yet about a few things and doesn't want to mislead anyone. He sounded encouraged to me overall so we will see.

I'm sorry,  but you won't like this post.    You won't be alone.

But there is no reason --- NONE -- for you or any other Colts fan to thenk that he will be "better than ever."     The best you could possibly hope for is that he's what he once was.     And I think that is highly unlikely.     But no one comes back better than they were before.      This is not pitchers in baseball after Tommy John surgery.     This is much worse.

And I don't care how encouraged Luck sounded.     Luck has sounded encouraged in every interview he has given since the operation and NOTHING has gone right.     He hasn't even thrown a pass in any workout yet and says he won't for a few more weeks.     That's a big red flag.     That was easily the worst interview/press conference Luck has given in his life.  

We are in unchartered waters here.     There is no history with this operation to a Quarterback.    You can't point to anyone else and says that guy came back after X months and did great.    This is the first of its kind.    And it is way, WAY behind schedule.    Luck can't even say when he thinks he'll be back to 100 percent.   He can't even say with any conviction that he won't need another surgery.   He says he THINKS he won't.    That's far from encouraging.    Another red flag. 

And he does NOT look better than he did 2 months ago.    He looks the exact same.     But he does look better than he did 4-6 months ago.    There were all sorts of threads during the season about how Luck has put the weight back on and how good he looked.     Luck himself said he was back to 235 months ago.    Your memory is playing tricks on you. 

There is very little for me as a Colts fan, or a Luck fan,  to feel encouraged about.     I only hope Luck and Ballard have an honest heart-to-heart talk in April so Ballard can decide if he needs to draft another QB with a 1st or 2nd round pick.      Because we may have to.     Luck has been wrong in almost everyone of his predictions about his health.   I hope he's not wrong again.

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  but you won't like this post.    You won't be alone.

But there is no reason --- NONE -- for you or any other Colts fan to thenk that he will be "better than ever."     The best you could possibly hope for is that he's what he once was.     And I think that is highly unlikely.     But no one comes back better than they were before.      This is not pitchers in baseball after Tommy John surgery.     This is much worse.

And I don't care how encouraged Luck sounded.     Luck has sounded encouraged in every interview he has given since the operation and NOTHING has gone right.     He hasn't even thrown a pass in any workout yet and says he won't for a few more weeks.     That's a big red flag.     That was easily the worst interview/press conference Luck has given in his life.  

We are in unchartered waters here.     There is no history with this operation to a Quarterback.    You can't point to anyone else and says that guy came back after X months and did great.    This is the first of its kind.    And it is way, WAY behind schedule.    Luck can't even say when he thinks he'll be back to 100 percent.    Another red flag. 

And he does NOT look better than he did 2 months ago.    He looks the exact same.     But he does look better than he did 4-6 months ago.    There were all sorts of threads during the season about how Luck has put the weight back on and how good he looked.     Luck himself said he was back to 235 months ago.    Your memory is playing tricks on you. 

There is very little for me as a Colts fan, or a Luck fan,  to feel encouraged about.     I only hope Luck and Ballard have an honest heart-to-heart talk in April so Ballard can decide if he needs to draft another QB with a 1st or 2nd round pick.      Because we may have to.     Luck has been wrong in almost everyone of his predictions about his health.   I hope he's not wrong again.

Drew Brees injury was actually just as bad if not worse and he was better after his injury and isn't near the athlete Luck is. Brees was injured over a decade ago when technology wasn't near what it is now. Like I said we will see. Also if Luck has a better team around him which I suspect he will now that we have Ballard, he can be better because he wont have to do it all by himself. Also Luck looked thin when he was on the sideline in late September compared to the way he looks now.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And he does NOT look better than he did 2 months ago.    He looks the exact same.

No      his hair is worse.  At least from my vantage point today.  :sarcasm:

That press conference of his was a bit discouraging and I heard nothing that would indicate he is anything more than optimistic that he will be back.  Sad really.  I hope he heals completely and he is able to return to playing.  And, only if that is what he truly wants to do.  He seemed a bit whipped to me.  Understanding that he had recently flown across the Atlantic he still seemed disconnected and a bit uncertain.  He definitely lacked enthusiasm. 

I have to admit that 25 days from now marks three years since I had open heart surgery and I still have problems feeling "normal".  Better?  yes... normal?  not-so-much.  It is a weird feeling and hard to explain.  So I understood what he was trying to tell us .. in many ways.