Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dead last.......

needanoline63

If the Steelers game taught us anything, it's that improvement is coming. 

Consider players that should be coming back at some point this season:

Andrew Luck

Eric Swoope

Clayton Geathers

Malik Hooker

Jack Mewhort

Ryan Kelly

In the meantime, the Colts are solidifying depth and giving experience to younger players.

Rankings change from week to week in this league and we knew it would take time for the defense to gel. Special teams look pretty good. 

Feel better?

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

Andrew Luck

Eric Swoope

Clayton Geathers

Malik Hooker

Jack Mewhort

Ryan Kelly

In the meantime, the Colts are solidifying depth and giving experience to younger players.

Rankings change from week to week in this league and we knew it would take time for the defense to gel. Special teams look pretty good. 

Feel better?

Remember,  he said he doesn't care what you say.  His mind is made up

We may be last in total defense, but what I've seen by our defense is playmaking in the form of turnovers. I'm fine giving up total yardage is it means that the opposing team can't score on us. That's all I care about. Stop the offense from scoring touchdowns, at least hold them to field goals. 

There are two major factors that mean I am not as concerned as I would be in other years:

1. Almost entirely new defensive unit.  This will take time to gel but has already shown some promise.

2. We have played 2 of the best offensive units in football. 

Admittedly not ideal stats to see but based on the "eye test" I am not overly concerned.

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

I know it's pre season. But we have worse total defense and passing defense. Also dead last in rushing offense. Ya it's just pre season but this should still be alarming. I don't care what u say

Guess what It's not alarming. I didn't realize the NFL bothered with keeping preseason stats. It's really silly to get all worked up over them. The preseason games are nothing more than organized scrimmages.

Ending your post with I don't care what you say make it evident that your understanding of preseason football is on pair with your understanding of the purpose of this forum. 

I'm not really worried at this point.   I can understand the concern though.    While the stats are not a true indicator, I have to think if the Colts were ranked 1st in defensive stats, some posters on here would be celebrating it.  

We just have to wait and see.   I think the Colts will be a bottom half defense again this year, but not as bad as they have been in years past.   The depth will help.

2 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

I know it's pre season. But we have worse total defense and passing defense. Also dead last in rushing offense. Ya it's just pre season but this should still be alarming. I don't care what u say

I needed a good chuckle this morning. The Patriots haven't won a game yet this preseason. Should they just throw in the towel? Maybe we need to crown the Jaguars champions and not even have a Super Bowl. 

See how this all sounds?

5 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

While you may be full of dread, be disheartened, full of dread, fear, fright, i shall remain undaunted and remain

at least, cautiously optimistic.
___  yes!  Go Colts!    :cheer:

I think there's plenty of reason to think that this season might be less than fun..

But let's get to the meat and potatoes of this thread.

Is it so hard to type "you"? You're literally saving two key strokes with "u" and it doesn't make the casual reader think "there's a guy who's got his thumb on the pulse of the issue"..

I understood "u" 15 years ago on a Andrew Luck style flip phone, but now? No good reason for it.

2 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

It must suck always having this outlook in life

There are 2 ways of looking at it.     He is certainly not getting his hopes up only to have them come crushing down.

I'm not nearly as doom and gloom as he is, but I have learned not to expect the Colts to come out with a dominant defense or a powerful running game.    My expectations are more set on improvement.   I think the Colts could be improved on defense and the running game.     I won't be totally surprised if they are not good at either though. 

7 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Andrew Luck

Eric Swoope

Clayton Geathers

Malik Hooker

Jack Mewhort

Ryan Kelly

Feel better?

Like the optimism, but not sure I'd include Geathers in the "should be back this year category"  more like "slim chance he's back this year"

8 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

And how much of it is our first team defense. Stats don't tell the whole story

It's because Monachino is a horrible defensive coordinator.  People can claim it's talent but it doesn't matter who is on the field there are holes in the same places, for the same type of plays every stinkin' time.  

Offense lines up in a tight trips formation, send the inside guy on a 5 yard out... wide open every time.

Send the WR and TE all at least 8 yards down field, have the RB run a delay route just pass the LOS between the guard and tackle, wide open every time.

Have the line block zone left or right, RB gets the hand off and cuts to the back side between center and guard, wide open every time.

Line up two WRs on one side and just a TE on the other side, he doesn't move the CB over to cover the WR (which he should do because they play man coverage), instead the CB comes down and plays man on the TE (mismatch), then the OLB and safety on the side with 2 WRs play zone and the LBers on the non two WR side crash the line, so now you get the TE wide open for a little 5 yard dump pass or, if the line holds up you have the outside receiver streaking downfield with one on one coverage because no the safety is playing zone but focusing more on the inside WR and the inside WR runs a little 5-8 yard out because both the LB and safety have inside position - wide open.

Ok, I will get off my Monachino is horrible kick, he is who the Colts (and Colts fans) are stuck with this year.

30 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's because Monachino is a horrible defensive coordinator.  People can claim it's talent but it doesn't matter who is on the field there are holes in the same places, for the same type of plays every stinkin' time.  

Offense lines up in a tight trips formation, send the inside guy on a 5 yard out... wide open every time.

Send the WR and TE all at least 8 yards down field, have the RB run a delay route just pass the LOS between the guard and tackle, wide open every time.

Have the line block zone left or right, RB gets the hand off and cuts to the back side between center and guard, wide open every time.

Line up two WRs on one side and just a TE on the other side, he doesn't move the CB over to cover the WR (which he should do because they play man coverage), instead the CB comes down and plays man on the TE (mismatch), then the OLB and safety on the side with 2 WRs play zone and the LBers on the non two WR side crash the line, so now you get the TE wide open for a little 5 yard dump pass or, if the line holds up you have the outside receiver streaking downfield with one on one coverage because no the safety is playing zone but focusing more on the inside WR and the inside WR runs a little 5-8 yard out because both the LB and safety have inside position - wide open.

Ok, I will get off my Monachino is horrible kick, he is who the Colts (and Colts fans) are stuck with this year.

I have to put just as much blame on Pagano in these situations.   He is supposed to be a defensive guy.   If he cannot instill that into his staff, it is on him.  

That said, I'll give him a little bit of a pass because it is preseason and he has lots of new players.    We can revisit this after week 2-3.  

15 hours ago, Myles said:

I have to put just as much blame on Pagano in these situations.   He is supposed to be a defensive guy.   If he cannot instill that into his staff, it is on him.  

That said, I'll give him a little bit of a pass because it is preseason and he has lots of new players.    We can revisit this after week 2-3.  

Yeah, I don't think Pagano is completely blameless and it should be like other coaches have done in the past and perhaps take over the play calling, but that is just a bandage on the wound, it doesn't heal it.

Also I'm not real convinced that Pagano is all that great a defensive guy.  He was a DC for one season with a stacked defense that included Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngata.  Basically all he had to do was tell those guys... don't let the other team score.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah, I don't think Pagano is completely blameless and it should be like other coaches have done in the past and perhaps take over the play calling, but that is just a bandage on the wound, it doesn't heal it.

Also I'm not real convinced that Pagano is all that great a defensive guy.  He was a DC for one season with a stacked defense that included Lewis, Suggs, Reed and Ngata.  Basically all he had to do was tell those guys... don't let the other team score.

I totally agree that is true.   A good defensive coach can make  a bad defense good in a few years.  

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Come on man, emotional trumps logical every time!!! :) 

Now Chad72 you know you are one of my favorite posters on this board and I definitely think you are one of the more logical posters on this board but what "logical" things can be said about the defense to indicate it will be improved from last year?

24 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Now Chad72 you know you are one of my favorite posters on this board and I definitely think you are one of the more logical posters on this board but what "logical" things can be said about the defense to indicate it will be improved from last year?

We have played some good O-lines in the Steelers and the Cowboys, and have managed to stay in the game with our turnovers. Granted, it is not a recipe for consistent success but the improvement in the first team defense from the Cowboys to Steelers game suggests that even accomplished athletes need a fire lit under their b*** sometimes to give them that extra oomph (though we may think they should do it de facto). It also could suggest the fact that as the guys play together longer, they are likely to get better.

Maybe it is a glass half full approach I am willing to take. However, we have enough bodies to make enough noise as a defensive unit, in terms of talent and mixture of youth and experience, IMO.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:50 AM, Smitto said:

Browns are ranked 6th right now... Shows those stats mean almost nothing. 

If you missed the last couple drafts though, Cleveland went heavy on defense with their card deck of (very high) draft picks. I don't see them staying ranked 6th this year, but against not-as-good QBs in the league, I think those young players will do well for them. It's when they face QB's with more league experience and know how to look at more than one guy on the field each play that they'll struggle against early. But if Luck isn't back by week 3, I don't expect Tolzien to be putting ANY points on the board in that game. At least not any for us.

P.S. How's that for a post on a "Dead Last" thread? Fearing a loss to the Browns...

8 hours ago, MattG14 said:

If you missed the last couple drafts though, Cleveland went heavy on defense with their card deck of (very high) draft picks. I don't see them staying ranked 6th this year, but against not-as-good QBs in the league, I think those young players will do well for them. It's when they face QB's with more league experience and know how to look at more than one guy on the field each play that they'll struggle against early. But if Luck isn't back by week 3, I don't expect Tolzien to be putting ANY points on the board in that game. At least not any for us.

P.S. How's that for a post on a "Dead Last" thread? Fearing a loss to the Browns...

I've noticed but so far a few of the teams in that top 15 list don't belong so that list isn't exactly "telling"... I don't expect Tolzien to be a TD machine but I also don't expect him to turn the ball over alot.. So I can see that helping our defense just a little bit it more.