Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Chris Ballard as GM [Merge]

MTC

Just now, chad72 said:

Agree, especially if we run the hybrid and mixed fronts. A very good DC can mix and match better.

Coming from where Ballard came from this is part of why it wasn't much of a big deal for Irsay to leave Chuck in place.  I think there's a lot less room for the Head Coach and the GM to be on opposite sides of the fence with this one.  They should both have the same vision for the defense, however I'm not sure what Ballard has his mind on for the offense being that the Chiefs are more of a West Coast offense.  We'll see, but for 2017 the offense areas of improvement are obvious though.  Improve the running game and the offensive line.  Shouldn't be much room for disagreement there. 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Chiefs run the exact same defense as the Colts.  Just about all of our picks will be defensive so it really won't matter.  I don't see much changing about the defensive scheme even if we got rid of Chuck. 

Hope so cause I don't want to go away from a 3-4 I know KC is similar but I was speaking if we got a new coach 

17 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Honestly who else would he choose over us that you see having an open position?

There are openings every season. You never know what attractive situations will be there next season. If Toub is his guy then get him now rather than having to bid for him next season. Why wait?

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Grigson was a glorified scout from Philadelphia that many felt didn't even have the resume for a GM job.  That he got it was baffling to many.  Even others in the Eagles organization have later come forth and said they were shocked that he won the Colts job. 

I don't think any of that is true.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I read that when it was posted a couple weeks ago. I called nonsense on it then, and I'm saying the same thing now.

Not only that, Grigson was the Eagles Director of College Scouting for four years and the Director of Player Personnel for two years (same position Ballard held in KC). Calling him a "glorified scout" is entirely inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, James said:

Maybe not. But Grigson surely wasn't as highly regarded or sought after as Ballard was.

Most aren't. I think this group of candidates was as strong a group as there's been in a long time. We'll see how Ballard turns out, but he obviously has a strong resume and I think he's a good hire. 

5 minutes ago, Swimmerguy7 said:

Oh believe me, it's all true....check out Luke Diamond on YouTube for his colts channel...he has a video where there's a podcast where an eagles Rep. is dissing Grigson

Like I said, I know what some have said recently. I don't think it's good information.

And who is Luke Diamond?

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

There are openings every season. You never know what attractive situations will be there next season. If Toub is his guy then get him now rather than having to bid for him next season. Why wait?

I agree I just wanna point out we will have a new GM and a top QB making us a lot more attractive than most jobs that will be available next year considering they will probably be teams needing complete rebuilds and no franchise QB.

Yessssss. This is EXACTLY what our franchise needed at this junction. Now we have a new guy (probably one of the best, if not the best, GM prospects in the last couple years) to come in, set the tone, make appropriate changes, and turn this franchise around. 

And guys, lets just accept the fact that Pagano WILL be our coach for 2017 (it is all but confirmed). No need to argue and argue about it, let's just accept it and hope that it goes well. I actually expect Pagano to be non-pagano like as a coach this coming year. If a season like this doesn't scare you as a head coach, nothing will. I believe he will step up and be atleast a serviceable coach who doesn't hurt us. I still think he will get fired but I am optimistic. 

Go Colts!

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I read that when it was posted a couple weeks ago. I called nonsense on it then, and I'm saying the same thing now.

Not only that, Grigson was the Eagles Director of College Scouting for four years and the Director of Player Personnel for two years (same position Ballard held in KC). Calling him a "glorified scout" is entirely inaccurate.

Well we disagree on the article.  You tend to call nonsense on it but I tend to think there is something to it.  Your opinion doesn't make for fact anymore than mine does.

Of course I was being funny when I called him a "glorified scout"...dramatic effect and all.  Point is he wasn't considered a top of the line GM prospect by many. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Well we disagree on the article.  You tend to call nonsense on it but I tend to think there is something to it.  Your opinion doesn't make for fact anymore than mine does.

Of course I was being funny when I called him a "glorified scout"...dramatic effect and all.  Point is he wasn't considered a top of the line GM prospect by many. 

I pointed out actual reasons why I didn't believe that guy, for instance, the fact that he was tweeting high praise for Grigson in 2013, but claims he thought Grigson was totally unqualified and should never have been hired... The guy is slimy, and it's obvious.

As for Grigson's standing in the league, he actually interviewed with multiple teams before the Colts hired him. It's revisionist history to act like he was some unknown, dark horse candidate that no one had ever heard of and no other teams were interested in.

2 hours ago, ThatOneColtFan said:

Excited, not sure why we are keeping Pagano another year though.

Might as well start the retooling now.

It has been mentioned, but it would be near impossible for the new coach to properly install an offense with Luck's surgery. He will miss a very healthy portion of the offseason. Could have saved Chuck's job for a year. 

10 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

It has been mentioned, but it would be near impossible for the new coach to properly install an offense with Luck's surgery. He will miss a very healthy portion of the offseason. Could have saved Chuck's job for a year. 

Depends on the candidate.  For example, if you hire Jon Gruden, it wouldn't take as long because he and Luck know the same offense very well.  I understand that Gruden said he isn't interested, but he's just an example I'm using to show that it wouldn't necessarily be an impossible task.  Plus, Luck will be ready by training camp and he would be available to take mental reps and learn the playbook during OTAs

23 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Yessssss. This is EXACTLY what our franchise needed at this junction. Now we have a new guy (probably one of the best, if not the best, GM prospects in the last couple years) to come in, set the tone, make appropriate changes, and turn this franchise around. 

And guys, lets just accept the fact that Pagano WILL be our coach for 2017 (it is all but confirmed). No need to argue and argue about it, let's just accept it and hope that it goes well. I actually expect Pagano to be non-pagano like as a coach this coming year. If a season like this doesn't scare you as a head coach, nothing will. I believe he will step up and be atleast a serviceable coach who doesn't hurt us. I still think he will get fired but I am optimistic. 

Go Colts!

Agreed.  And if Chuck makes the playoffs I don't think he will get fired. This actually could be the start of a real great run for the Colts.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this tandem works out perfectly.  

33 minutes ago, masnerj said:

Go Colts!

I think Pagano is gonna be the same mediocre coach.

If he fixes the O-line (even partially) we will see a more productive run game which will lead to a better offense. Easy'ish fix compared to the defense but luckily both he and Pagano are defense guys. Upgrade the linebackers and pick up a solid corner or safety and we'll get 10 wins and win the south.

This thread should be saved so if the Colts new GM is a flop we can all continue laughing at this very long joke. Personally, he was not my first choice but they don't pay me for my 02. There is never any sense in listening to what the media says because they know  much as we do. No matter what at least Grigson is no more.

30 minutes ago, ColtJ82 said:

Didn't Luck miss a healthy portion of the offseason his rookie year in 2012, due to school?

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

His resume is great......

.........its just now he has final say....These 7 draft choices coming up will be his first 7 

Staying positive here....    I hope he knocks it out of the park with his 7 choices.

36 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

If he fixes the O-line (even partially) we will see a more productive run game which will lead to a better offense. Easy'ish fix compared to the defense but luckily both he and Pagano are defense guys. Upgrade the linebackers and pick up a solid corner or safety and we'll get 10 wins and win the south.

Oline is fine. We need a better rb, upgrade at NT, and revamp the LBer corp

30 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Staying positive here....    I hope he knocks it out of the park with his 7 choices.

Me too, but I'm not going to base that on oppinions voiced by the forem on draft day.

I think that's what Mark is trying to convey(?).