Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hire Chris Ballard as GM [Merge]

MTC

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Grigson was not a glorified scout....and no one at the time said he didn't have the resume

That's revisionist history

....and don't kid a kidder.....Do you really believe Ballard will be give 2 or 3 years to make an impact like he should be?

You are definitely a kidder. Especially right now. Colts fans gave grigson 2-3 years before they wanted him fired (the last 2) so I really don't know what your basing your argument off of. It's almost like you're arguing that fans are quick to judge rather than anything else, which is a dead end point to make. 

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

From what I recall, Grigson was more of a darkhorse candidate and people didn't know much about him

Grigoson was director of player personal during the Philidelphia Eagles "Dream Team" season... His track record was not anywhere near that of Ballard's....

True we don't know what is going to happen and cannot accurately predict what will happen in this league... But I like Ballard's odds more than I liked Grigson's.

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I'm so excited and this was the obvious choice. I have been quietly watching tv footage of all the GM's over the past few days, and Ballard has all the tools. His pen grip is lock solid, his wrist movement when signing contracts is flamboyant and he finishes his signatures with a flick of the wrist, and he even twirls round in his seat and head butts the keyboard when sending emails. 

Definitely the best candidate for the job. No wonder this forum is so excited.

Links please.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I understand both of your views.    Of course, this is just an opinion poll based on very little fact.    Except the fact that Grigson was not very good.  

Correct, Grigson was not what this team needed..... however, we have the benefit of hindsight on him right now. 

In this article below, I did pick up on something I previously didn't.  Irsay stated he would be involved in personnel decisions at first, I'm wondering if part of the success of the first 3 years was due to Irsay being involved, it seems to be backed up by the fact that the drafting and the team fell apart when Irsay handed control fully over to his daughter and Grigson while in rehab that spring/summer.  It's neither here nor there at this point as grigson is gone, but it is interestinging as well

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7449840/indianapolis-colts-hire-philadelphia-eagles-ryan-grigson-gm

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dalvin Cook? What if he's there?

5 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

a rb not named Cook or Fournette....I'm on the fence on that depending on which D players are available.

There's been only 1 RB worth taking in the first round in years, that was Elliot last year. We should be able to get a pretty dang good push rusher where we are and that's what this team needs most.  And there should be plenty to choose from.  

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

There's been only 1 RB worth taking in the first round in years, that was Elliot last year. We should be able to get a pretty dang good push rusher where we are and that's what this team needs most.  And there should be plenty to choose from.  

I definitely hope most of the Draft is all Defense but if Cook is there and we take him I wont complain.

Just now, Myles said:

No worries.   I'm sure he'll bring Vick Ballard back. 

I think Turbin is gonna be pretty dang good, especially if our OL can continue growing.  and I think they will.  so one more year of Gore/Turbin I'd be ok with at this point.

3 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Hes just saying that regardless of what happens there will always be SOMEONE that will complain about draft picks, because so-and-so was on THEIR board and was available, etc. and that it wont take 2-3 years before it starts up.

More speaking to the ridiculousness of this (and every other) forum that sometimes comes out. Which im sure we can ALL relate to. 

I hope that's what OUM is saying....    that nonsense I can deal with....    I thought he was implying that Irsay won't give him a proper chance and will can Ballard if he doesn't deliver quickly.     I like OUM a lot and that's not the kind of post he would normally make.

So, I hope you're right and apologies to OUM if I have misread his post......

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's only negative to you....In fact....That's the way we fans are..

\\Majin..maybe you haven't been with us for a long time...That's okay

Everyone here has a good idea of who they want us to draft....we talk a lot about it..

If the GM doesn't draft those guys...you'll see here how many 'mistakes' we feel he has made

We do it here.

We do it every year.

I think I heard it called 'the circle of life'

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope that's what OUM is saying....    that nonsense I can deal with....    I thought he was implying that Irsay won't give him a proper chance and will can Ballard if he doesn't deliver quickly.     I like OUM a lot and that's not the kind of post he would normally make.

So, I hope you're right and apologies to OUM if I have misread his post......

This was the previous post in their back and forth which lead me to believe thats what he was talking about. 

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

20-0.    Where are all the people who wanted to keep Grigson?

I am not sure anyone in here wanted to keep him. I defended him a little at times but that was because the negativity in here got really thick at times. Same for Chuck, I defend him at times like others but most in here know we can have better. My take on it has always been, I didn't think Irsay would fire either because of their extensions so I accepted both being here for at least next season. I am pleasantly surprised and happy that Irsay has done what he has done.

Anyone will do better than Grigson, a 5 year old would be better than Grigson 

3 out of 4 1st rounders failed. Well, maybe 2 cause Dorsett is still TBD 

But he picked Bjoern Werner & Phillip Dorsett over Xavier Rhodes & Landon Collins. 

I'll never forgive him for that. Good riddance 

His last 2 drafts were solid though, I'll give him that. But it was too late then. 

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

You are right..

But Grigson was director of scouting VP of player personal, too.

He spent a decade with the Eagles....and was voted GM of the year, wasn't he?

The hate storm has just swept in the last 2 years

I think we should give Ballard 2 or 3 years to improve us before we beat him over the head with every failed  pick..

..I just hope everybody will

Looks like I owe you an apology.    I joined a discussion you were having about Ballard and completely misread the meaning of your post.

You were talking about fan reaction to Ballard's first few years and I thought you were talking about Irsay's reaction if the first few years don't go as well.         I'm sorry.       My bad.

Jumped to the wrong conclusion......            :peek:

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, it may take more than 1 Draft but with Andrew Luck we can still go 10-6 if we have any kind of Defense.

I'd be shocked if it DIDN'T take more than 1 draft. I think we're probably 2-3 years away from completing the defensive makeover.