Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor central -- Pagano and Grigson reports, 1/16 (merge)

gnet550

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If you gave me execution and fast starts in 2016, the Colts would have won the division (and had the privilege of being curb stomped by the Pats in Foxborough on Saturday). 

The roster is still flawed. The problems with the coaching staff still exist. Not trying to gloss over any of this. 

I don't always take solace in winning a division (especially if it's not that good), but they would have made it to at least the divisional round. You never know what could have happened. I do think changes should have been made but they did make it to a conference championship game 2 years ago. I agree that should count for something. But I just don't think Pagano and Grigson are the guys to get the Colts where we want them to be. I hope they can knock it out of the park this next season. I just have my doubts

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Like others have said in this thread, rooting against them is useless. No point in wanting to see them fail, so hopefully we put together a solid draft and Chuck's able to turn the corner as a coach with a few better playmakers on defense. We shall see.

The bar is so low now that they can't fail. All they have to do is not have a losing record. 

11 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The bar is so low now that they can't fail. All they have to do is not have a losing record. 

The bar is so, so very low ... 8-8.  So I would surmise that based on this low low bar, then expectation HAS to be for a winning record.   Ergo, if Pags is retained, but the team regresses below 8-8 next year, then the staff will very likely be given their walking papers.  I would actually say that if they do not have a winning record and make the playoffs, the staff will be let go.

For the record, the bar heading into next year is WAY higher than that infamous 2011 season.  I mean, as bad as the Colts were in 2016, they were better than half the teams in the league, including trouncing GB, who are an NFC Champoinship participant.

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The bar is so, so very low ... 8-8.  So I would surmise that based on this low low bar, then expectation HAS to be for a winning record.   Ergo, if Pags is retained, but the team regresses below 8-8 next year, then the staff will very likely be given their walking papers.  I would actually say that if they do not have a winning record and make the playoffs, the staff will be let go.

For the record, the bar heading into next year is WAY higher than that infamous 2011 season.  I mean, as bad as the Colts were in 2016, they were better than half the teams in the league, including trouncing GB, who are an NFC Champoinship participant.

Jim Irsay does not have a low bar, make no mistake.  He has self-inflicted wounds that he is attempting to heal.  

10 hours ago, rockywoj said:

The fans will have given the Colts their walking papers, and quit supporting this team, long before Grigson and Pagano get theirs. I think the frustration "out there" is highly under-estimated. That said, I'm not sure the Colts organization can do much about it.

20 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The fans will have given the Colts their walking papers, and quit supporting this team, long before Grigson and Pagano get theirs. I think the frustration "out there" is highly under-estimated. That said, I'm not sure the Colts organization can do much about it.

i think Irsay is trying to find an improvement. But let's face it, now that gruden,saban, harbaurgh are all saying they dont want to leave their current gigs, short of trading for a coach, there's really not any guaranteed upgrades out there.  That's the problem.

40 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The fans will have given the Colts their walking papers, and quit supporting this team, long before Grigson and Pagano get theirs. I think the frustration "out there" is highly under-estimated. ...

Not by this fan!   I've been true blue since 1966.  A lifer that has suffered through far worse times than this.  Sure I am frustrated, but on the verge of quitting my fandom for the Colts?  Never!

Based on these forums, I'd say it's impossible to under-estimate the fan level of frustration.   I think that here in this place, though, there are a lot of impatient fairweather fans that have no idea what suffering through real mediocrity means.

20 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Based on these forums, I'd say it's impossible to under-estimate the fan level of frustration.   I think that here in this place, though, there are a lot of impatient fairweather fans that have no idea what suffering through real mediocrity means.

Fair point there. 

I'm an alumnus from Ball State, and also still a fan of the Cardinals along with my family. We know what true suffering in sports is like haha... 7 bowl games for football, with not a single win in the program's entirety. 

And basketball? The last time they made the tournament was 17 years ago... 

I guess I savor the lavish torment of mediocrity when it comes to the Cardinals. lmao

28 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Not by this fan!   I've been true blue since 1966.  A lifer that has suffered through far worse times than this.  Sure I am frustrated, but on the verge of quitting my fandom for the Colts?  Never!

Finding better more important things to do with your money and time on a Sunday does not make you a fair weather fan or a bad fan. Holier than thou, "real" fans are the absolute worst thing about any fandom.

34 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Standing by silently while Luck's career is wasted in no way = a real or good fan to me.

And sure we've seen much worse.... without a QB like Luck.  The hyper-frustration is a result of the collective fear Luck's career will be wasted.  Who knows how long we'll have Luck, especially considering this organization has allowed him to be beaten to death for 5 years.  If you're fine with the current level of play, get ready for it, because post-Luck, it might be semi-permanent. Jimmy's daughters might be searching 2-3 decades for another Luck, and by then, the team will probably be in Toronto or Portland.

33 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

On here, in this place, we have a legitimate franchise QB. We shouldn't have to suffer through any "real" mediocrity. Hopefully the Grigson Train turns into a crazy awesome contender, and does in fact turn into the son that Irsay never had. 

31 minutes ago, #12. said:

Standing by silently while Luck's career is wasted in no way = a real or good fan to me.

And sure we've seen much worse.... without a QB like Luck.  The hyper-frustration is a result of the collective fear Luck's career will be wasted.  Who knows how long we'll have Luck, especially considering this organization has allowed him to be beaten to death for 5 years.  If you're fine with the current level of play, get ready for it, because post-Luck, it might be semi-permanent. Jimmy's daughters might be searching 2-3 decades for another Luck, and by then, the team will probably be in Toronto or Portland.

Or Virginia...they don't give us anything here.

9 minutes ago, Gramz said:

@jvan1973  @bababooey @Smonroe @OffensivelyPC  can one of you message me if some real news comes up?  I need to get off of this hamster wheel for now before I go insane :nutz: 

I got you. I'm in busy season right now so checking here is second nature, although I'm not living on it as much as I was during deflate gate. good times.

I'm not going to get all drawn into a debate over what constitutes being a "fan", but imho those that say they will quit following a team, blah blah blah, as soon as a couple or few years of adversity hits, well, not very fanatical after all, imho.  It's fine and well within one's rights to move along to go cheer for a winning team, but that is pretty much the epitome of the bandwagon mentality.  I don't mind the complaining and objective criticizing, such is the fun of "sports", but unfounded b.s. and declarations urging fans to abandon the team, that's just nonsense to me, and crosses the line of what it means to actually be a "fan" of a team.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Fair point there. 

I'm an alumnus from Ball State, and also still a fan of the Cardinals along with my family. We know what true suffering in sports is like haha... 7 bowl games for football, with not a single win in the program's entirety. 

And basketball? The last time they made the tournament was 17 years ago... 

I guess I savor the lavish torment of mediocrity when it comes to the Cardinals. lmao

Ball State Alumni Pride! Chirp Chirp! 

1 hour ago, corgi said:

Finding better more important things to do with your money and time on a Sunday does not make you a fair weather fan or a bad fan. Holier than thou, "real" fans are the absolute worst thing about any fandom.

Ummm, that is exactly what makes one a fairweather fan ... which is fine, but calling for people to abandon a team as soon as a couple of years of bumps in the road occur, well, to me that crosses the line of being a fan or not being a fan.  Like I said, such is your prerogative, but making that decision makes you not a fan, for you have made the decision to quit on the team.

1 hour ago, corgi said:

Honest question: what is there that's better to do in Indiana on a Sunday than watch football?

1 hour ago, corgi said:

It doesn't make you a bad fan but that is a pretty good definition of a fair weather fan which is a fan that only watches when the team is good.  For the record, the poster that you quoted was stating that many posters/fans that are complaining about this mediocrity either have not or do not remember worse times.  The Tobin era was much worse.  The Jeff George era was worse.  There was even a time in recent Colts history that both Elway and Dilfer REFUSED to play if drafted by the organization.  I do not think that happens currently.

20 hours ago, ND Irish said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Chudzinski should have been the first coach to get fired? His play calling is atrocious and has no way of being able to utilize his players. 

That was my thinking too, but Superman has persuaded me that this is the offense that Pagano wants. Seems like Pagano fell in love with it in his first year with Arians and imposed it on Pep, and now Chud. This is actually my only problem with Pagano, but it's a big problem.

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Ummm, that is exactly what makes one a fairweather fan ... which is fine, but calling for people to abandon a team as soon as a couple of years of bumps in the road occur, well, to me that crosses the line of being a fan or not being a fan.  Like I said, such is your prerogative, but making that decision makes you not a fan, for you have made the decision to quit on the team.

I live in Virginia, I have to pay $300+ or whatever the cost of Sunday ticket is to watch the Colts play. Me not paying $300 for an inferior product does not make me fair weather, I can still check scores online or follow the game through the forum. Not paying $300 for an inferior product makes me fiscally responsible. I wouldn't pay $15,000 for a car that will probably break down if I could use the bike I already have to get to work. 

People continuing to pay for Sunday ticket when the team is bad doesn't make them a better fan either. They just have more $ to blow. 

I've been a fan since '95 at which time I was 9. I have a Colts tattoo, and I've watched a ton of football in that time. It doesn't make me a better fan than the guy that's been a fan since Luck or Manning as drafted. No one is a better fan than anyone else, that's subjective nonsense.

40 minutes ago, corgi said:

I live in Virginia, I have to pay $300+ or whatever the cost of Sunday ticket is to watch the Colts play. Me not paying $300 for an inferior product does not make me fair weather, I can still check scores online or follow the game through the forum. Not paying $300 for an inferior product makes me fiscally responsible. I wouldn't pay $15,000 for a car that will probably break down if I could use the bike I already have to get to work. 

People continuing to pay for Sunday ticket when the team is bad doesn't make them a better fan either. They just have more $ to blow. 

I've been a fan since '95 at which time I was 9. I have a Colts tattoo, and I've watched a ton of football in that time. It doesn't make me a better fan than the guy that's been a fan since Luck or Manning as drafted. No one is a better fan than anyone else, that's subjective nonsense.

Wow $300 for Sunday ticket. Was that regular or Max? I have to haggle every year since 2004 with Dirctv to get deals.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

LOL. They're WAY worse than the Colts are. Not only did they flat out suck this year, but they had to vacate the wins from 12-13 seasons. That's not in any way shape or form an upgrade.

They vacated wins due the NCAA being ridiculously biased.  ND self reported, failed the kids that cheated, and suspended all of them while the investigation was happening.  The NCAA still decided to hammer them due to some of the kids that cheated were playing during that time frame.  ND took the absolute correct approach as soon as they were notified of possible infractions and they got hammered.  Meanwhile UNC can have fake courses for athletes and not get in once of trouble, ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

They vacated wins due the NCAA being ridiculously biased.  ND self reported, failed the kids that cheated, and suspended all of them while the investigation was happening.  The NCAA still decided to hammer them due to some of the kids that cheated were playing during that time frame.  ND took the absolute correct approach as soon as they were notified of possible infractions and they got hammered.  Meanwhile UNC can have fake courses for athletes and not get in once of trouble, ridiculous.

While all that is true, they still went 4-8 last year. They were absolutely unwatchable, much more so than the Colts.

53 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

While all that is true, they still went 4-8 last year. They were absolutely unwatchable, much more so than the Colts.

Agree, they did not have a very good year.  And yes, the Colts were much easier to watch.  Still upset over the ruling though.