Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano: Green Bay's defense 'virtually unblockable'

ColtsFanMikeC

Seriously?

I am not expecting us to win but "unblockable" and "Green Bay defense" don't deserve to be in the same sentence.

Wow. Unless this is just an excuse before our o line gets tossed around like rag dolls again.

They are tough to run on this year, but we should be able to put up some passing yards and get some points up in the air.

47 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Just read where Pagano said GB's 'front 7 is virtually unblockable'. 

With Mewhort and Reitz out, I am a bit scared for Luck next week.  Hopefully Chud has some plays drawn up to let him get the ball out quickly.

44 minutes ago, Jules said:

Seriously?

I am not expecting us to win but "unblockable" and "Green Bay defense" don't deserve to be in the same sentence.

Wow. Unless this is just an excuse before our o line gets tossed around like rag dolls again.

They are tough to run on this year, but we should be able to put up some passing yards and get some points up in the air.

43 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

Excuses already made I see

Chuck isn't exactly the guy to motivate before hand. Gives great post win speeches though 

But the players need to handle business Sunday, time to wake up

I hope he didn't really say this. lmao 

The GB defense for years has been easy as hell to throw all over. I know they are tough against the run this year but IMO if we want to win this game start throwing EARLY. Forget the Gore power run crap early in this one.

45 minutes ago, Jules said:

Seriously?

You're 100% correct, that statement alone sums up the larger problem with our current staff.  We're already defeated and putting up the white flag, but while GB has done well against the run, they are equally terrible against the pass.  And Luck is passing great this year.  Bad pass defense usually equals good numbers against the rush because why rush when you can throw down the field?  I don't care if we rush for 10 yards while passing for 450.   Everyone knows we can't rush anyway, so if anything GB will open up the run because they'll be trying to hard to cover Moncrief and Hilton in the passing game.  If they are smart and use our TE's and RB's in the passing game, via screens and dump downs, their aggressive defense will work against them.  

Can anyone imagine other top coaches calling the team they are about to play "unblockable?" Sure, some people say stuff to build up their opponents thinking they'll take them by surprise or some such nonsense, but that doesn't work.  So if that was Chucks goal, it was also really poorly thought out.  Just lead your team, use good strategy, don't waive the white flag before the game and kick some butt.  If you lose, you lose, don't try to soften the loss ahead of time or play childish mind games that have no impact.  It's really sad. 

Funny how Brady and Belichek say this kind of stuff about every team, every week and no one blinks.  Pagano or a "struggling" team says it, and its a problem.

i'd like to hear the interview to get some context.

one a side note, i would never use term like "impossible" or "unstoppable".  It can subconsciously plant a seed.  Give them their respect, then say "we'll prepare this week and be ready.", or something like that.

we need some feeling of urgency , energy/emotion, and accountability around here.  I agree about that:

Hey Colts Fans,

This is called coach speak. Every coach says something like this every week at every Friday press conference. I know we are having a tough year, but I thought we were collectively better than this message board is right now. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe some years are just not meant to be fun on multiple levels. Go Horse! 

Sincerely,

Larry Horseman

18 hours ago, Jules said:

I hope he didn't really say this. lmao 

The GB defense for years has been easy as hell to throw all over. I know they are tough against the run this year but IMO if we want to win this game start throwing EARLY. Forget the Gore power run crap early in this one.

Exactly Jules. We should be about to throw the ball extremely well. I need to go to the main website & see if Chuck really said basically let's throw in the towel right now. If he did, then I am done with Pagano right now. 

Be right back to confirm this 1 way or another. 

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Or that AC has obviously been replaced by an imposter using polyjuice. How else do you explain the sudden drop off in his play the last 2 seasons? 

AC was a bottom 10 pass blocking LT his first 3 seasons. Top 3 in sacks allowed his 1st 2 years. Over 70 (astronomical) pressures in season 3.
 He had a statistically good contract year pass blocking.
 But he has played like the player some here have priorly posted that he was the last season and a half.
  Yawn!
  He is a smart guy, and i suspect he is looking forward to an early retirement.

7 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Or that AC has obviously been replaced by an imposter using polyjuice. How else do you explain the sudden drop off in his play the last 2 seasons? 

No. But AC agrees with pagano that the packers are unblockable.

In fact he beleives every opponent for the last 2 seasons have been unblockable. haha

I just watched the KC post game press conference with Chuck. When the media in the room  more or less starts saying "you can see same the same things every week & your team keep making the same mistakes with no remedy in sight." It's the beginning of the end when local reporters are getting tired of the same old tired lines. 

Nobody cares about what should be happening. Fans care about a coaching staff that isn't learning from previous mistakes. At least, try to commit new ones fans haven't seen before. He knows he's about to be fired after this yr. It's obvious to me anyway. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Chuck-Pagano-Post-Game-Press-Conference-103016/299b8507-3772-4dee-9f45-ff1c8acec997

Okay sure, Chuck deserves credit for standing there & taking the heat during bad game performances, but how much longer must we endure a failure to fix repeated mistakes that cost us games? We either get dominated or we barely pull out a win in the 4th QTR if we are lucky. 

I haven't found any throw in the towel comments from Pags yet regarding GB on the official site so, I can't criticize Chuck for that right now. 

6 hours ago, Jason_S said:

The things that some people get worked up over.  Twisting words, taking things out of context and over analyzing every possible word out of chucks mouth. 

This is why not everyone should be allowed to vote. 

Huh? What's the ballot box got to do with whether a fan chooses to have confidence in Chuck Pagano & Ryan Grigson or not? 

The last time I checked, a public forum allows fans to discuss their frustrations over how this team is struggling this year. Nobody is twisting Pagano's words at all. Perhaps supporters of this current regime are clinging to past post season accolades & they refuse to acknowledge what must be done. Just a thought. 

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Huh? What's the ballot box got to do with whether a fan chooses to have confidence in Chuck Pagano & Ryan Grigson or not? 

The last time I checked, a public forum allows fans to discuss their frustrations over how this team is struggling this year. Nobody is twisting Pagano's words at all. Perhaps supporters of this current regime are clinging to past post season accolades & they refuse to acknowledge what must be done. Just a thought. 

Its coach speak and every single colt fan knows that. Other coaches have made similar comments since the beginning of time yet now he's "giving excuses early" and "throwing in the towel".  Its really pathetic.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:29 PM, TKnight24 said:

Chuck isn't exactly the guy to motivate before hand. Gives great post win speeches though 

But the players need to handle business Sunday, time to wake up

Seriously, TK?      From you?

Since you clearly haven't been following the Colts that closely the last 5 years,  let me refresh your faulty memory.

The Colts have been winning with an average to below average roster and Andrew Luck.

The Colts have been winning because the players play hard for him.     Players love him and try to play as hard as they can.     That's been written about by the media and by fans here on this website since Pagano took over in 2012.      I know you've been away for chunks of time,  but not that long?!?

When players play hard for their coach,  that means he's got them ready to play BEFORE HAND. 

I don't pretend to understand the comment,  but a guy who has won as much as Pagano has deserves the benefit of the doubt as to why he'd make such a curious statement.     It doesn't make sense to me.   But, for whatever reason,  it's make sense to Pagano.

I appreciate that bashing Pagano and Grigson too is the thing to do right now.     But I'd at least expect that you'd realize how the Colts won 41 regular season games in their first 4 years with Pags and Grigs and three additional playoff games.       Because that post made you sound like a newcomer to the team and a fan who hasn't paid much attention to the team before now.............

Just saying.....

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Its coach speak and every single colt fan knows that. Other coaches have made similar comments since the beginning of time yet now he's "giving excuses early" and "throwing in the towel".  Its really pathetic.

While I agree that a number of coaches have used typical lines like "we need to play better" or "we need to tackle better," I think some fans patience is wearing thin. Look, I realize that obtaining victories in the NFL isn't easy & no coach or GM are  deliberately trying to deliberately miss the playoffs Jason. 

However, I just have a feeling that this partnership has gone about as far as it's can logically go. If you're stating that some fans incorrectly think that Pagano & Grigson are trying to tank games on purpose, I agree that is nonsense & a bridge too far to take seriously & it's not fair to either Chuck or Ryan. They are doing their best to win games. My point is this: I respect their contributions in INDY. I just want experienced men in both spots next season & I see no need in continuing this regime in 2017. We will never win a SB under Pags & Grigs. I have reached that moment of clarity now. 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

While I agree that a number of coaches have used typical lines like "we need to play better" or "we need to tackle better," I think some fans patience is wearing thin. Look, I realize that obtaining victories in the NFL isn't easy & no coach or GM are  deliberately trying to deliberately miss the playoffs Jason. 

However, I just have a feeling that this partnership has gone about as far as it's can logically go. If you're stating that some fans incorrectly think that Pagano & Grigson are trying to tank games on purpose, I agree that is nonsense & a bridge too far to take seriously & it's not fair to either Chuck or Ryan. They are doing their best to win games. My point is this: I respect their contributions in INDY. I just want experienced men in both spots next season & I see no need in continuing this regime in 2017. We will never win a SB under Pags & Grigs. I have reached that moment of clarity now. 

But you have to realize SW, it's so hard to win in the NFL haha.  I also agree they won't win a Super Bowl under this regime, even if the talent on the roster significantly improves.  I would be willing to put a whole heap of $ on it.  It's going to probably get a lot worse this year also with the schedule and Mr. Irsay will have some very tough decisions to make by years end.