Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL live "mocks" Colts OL today

richard pallo

If you have a chance to watch ESPN's NFL live today you should do it.  There is a segment at the end of the show when they talk about the Colts off season workouts starting today and they focus on the OL with Woody and Schlerich.  They have a lot of fun showing our Ol getting beat with three rushing our five and pretty much mock us out for having no talent.  They show Harrison, I believe, getting bull rushed by one guy putting him on his back quickly.  They show a number of clips that are pretty bad.  Hard to watch and then listen to their comments.  They have a lot of laughs at our lines expense.  For Luck's sake and our teams success I hope they fix it next week.  

Not defending our line, but you could pick the best O line in the league and find clips where they got beat.

its interesting when you know a lot about a team, like we do about ours, and realize the guys on ESPN and the such don't.  For years the Colts were "soft" on D, yet we were always in the top half of the league.  But it was more popular to repeat what was familiar to them.

I respect Jaws, Mayock and a few others because they do the research and put in the time studying tape.  Some of the others are reading articles and just spouting off.

You can literally choose any topic that has ever existed and then find good examples and bad examples of said topic. It's nothing more than the product of an entire network being based solely upon an activity that only occurs for 1/3 of the year. 

6 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

You can literally choose any topic that has ever existed and then find good examples and bad examples of said topic. It's nothing more than the product of an entire network being based solely upon an activity that only occurs for 1/3 of the year. 

Yup.  You can show a couple of equally bad plays from literally any line in the league and make an equally valid point.  To me, such mocking of our OL just continues to show the pundits' poor analysis.  We had two weak points and an average OL (no worse) IMO.  I don't blame these guys, as no one can be an expert in 32 teams, even if they are paid to be so.  Heck, most Colt fans on any board agree the Colts' OL is terrible across the line, but I disagree...

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not defending our line, but you could pick the best O line in the league and find clips where they got beat.

its interesting when you know a lot about a team, like we do about ours, and realize the guys on ESPN and the such don't.  For years the Colts were "soft" on D, yet we were always in the top half of the league.  But it was more popular to repeat what was familiar to them.

I respect Jaws, Mayock and a few others because they do the research and put in the time studying tape.  Some of the others are reading articles and just spouting off.

Yep. Did anyone watch the Super Bowl? #2 offensive line in the league got completely owned by Denver's pass rush, and they weren't even blitzing.

56 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

So would you prefer Decker or Henry? Either way we're going offense, and honestly myself along with many fans and "experts" all agree on the pick. 

If we go T I think Conklin will be there and he is better and I see no reason why we have to go offense our D has tons of holes 

59 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

People repeated it because it was true.

Somebody at ESPN had to piece this bit together and a lot time for it, as well as scripts by the two talking heads.  Its the same narrative that is the result of the limited thinking out of Bristol CT.

It fits the constant narrative that Indy doesn't ever have a tough team, and this time highlighted by its "big uglies" on the oline getting pushed around.  Only NE, PITT, PHIL, BALT are allowed to have tough teams, because their fans are tough enough (meaning stupid in my book) to sit in cold rain and eat and drink overpriced beer and concessions. 

The Colts have always been a poorly rostered team, cheered onwards by stupid tepid Midwesterners (except the island of toughness displayed by GB and CHI), who are only on the football map because of its heroic QB(s).

Same story, different presentation.

It didn't help that they showed film of Louis at lg which is mewhort's position. Also showed a highlight of holmes at center which everyone knows the position is a huge need. The o-line needs to be addressed but it's not as horrible as every outside media thinks it is. I remember seeing pro football focus ranking the colts o-line somewhere in the middle of league (14-18 range). If they can get a true center like Kelly or Martin this year that's solves the big problem. Then find someone else in the draft to give thornton competition. I know mayock is big on Garnett from Stanford. At his pro day said it's one of his favorite interior lineman and is a starter day 1. Hopefully Grigson will not ignore it this year.

Edited by Coltsfan0112

I hope Irsay catches wind of it. We were told, actually more like lied to that we're building a monster on Both sides of the ball. And going into year 5 the media is laughing at his team. Not to mention his HC & GM that he hired and now extended are rated near the bottom at their profession.

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If you have a chance to watch ESPN's NFL live today you should do it.  There is a segment at the end of the show when they talk about the Colts off season workouts starting today and they focus on the OL with Woody and Schlerich.  They have a lot of fun showing our Ol getting beat with three rushing our five and pretty much mock us out for having no talent.  They show Harrison, I believe, getting bull rushed by one guy putting him on his back quickly.  They show a number of clips that are pretty bad.  Hard to watch and then listen to their comments.  They have a lot of laughs at our lines expense.  For Luck's sake and our teams success I hope they fix it next week.  

I do too. but it is hard to get draft picks who can come in and start. I would prefer they trade picks for a proven young player who is not a project like a lot of drafted players are.i want us to win this year not wait for a project to develop. we traded a pick for davis and it worked. why cant we do it on the o-line?

21 minutes ago, get an 0-line said:

I do too. but it is hard to get draft picks who can come in and start. I would prefer they trade picks for a proven young player who is not a project like a lot of drafted players are.i want us to win this year not wait for a project to develop. we traded a pick for davis and it worked. why cant we do it on the o-line?

I believe your suggestion is a real possibility and I have mentioned it as well in other posts.  If a team wants to trade up to take a QB or back into the 1st. for a QB then we should be looking at their OL players for a quality young player that fits our needs as part of the trade.  I used Dallas as an example with Fredericks or Martin or Collins as candidates.   I think we should explore those kind of scenarios with any team that might call. 

I'm glad to see there are few people on here who have caught on to the pathetic propaganda put forth by media jokes. I have been a Colt fan for over 45 years and over 99% of media coverage by the network * over that time span has been NEGATIVE, VERY NEGATIVE. Here in western Pa. last season Steeler fans couldn't stop griping about their offensive line(it really was worse than the Colts-how often was Ben injured last year,how often was he beat to a pulp?) Where was the segment on the Steeler offensive line? I'll say it again, it's the medias job to say the Colts suck, it has been for years, brainless people listen and gleefully agree with everything those highly paid dumb farts say.

16 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

It's well deserved in my opinion. Why it wasn't fixed in years past blows my mind 

I agree and it's all on Grigson. I will say he has tried but has made  some terrible decisions and it's hurt us badly he's going to waste this very talented QB.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I hope Irsay catches wind of it. We were told, actually more like lied to that we're building a monster on Both sides of the ball. And going into year 5 the media is laughing at his team. Not to mention his HC & GM that he hired and now extended are rated near the bottom at their profession.

I couldn't agree more and at the end of the day this all falls on Irsay and Irsay alone for this mess. He hired these bums and then basically rehired them what a joke. 

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I'm glad to see there are few people on here who have caught on to the pathetic propaganda put forth by media jokes. I have been a Colt fan for over 45 years and over 99% of media coverage by the network * over that time span has been NEGATIVE, VERY NEGATIVE. Here in western Pa. last season Steeler fans couldn't stop griping about their offensive line(it really was worse than the Colts-how often was Ben injured last year,how often was he beat to a pulp?) Where was the segment on the Steeler offensive line? I'll say it again, it's the medias job to say the Colts suck, it has been for years, brainless people listen and gleefully agree with everything those highly paid dumb farts say.

Yes to what I highlighted in Bold. Also how many times over the years when they show highlights of a player from another team it's against the Colts? A lot!

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I believe your suggestion is a real possibility and I have mentioned it as well in other posts.  If a team wants to trade up to take a QB or back into the 1st. for a QB then we should be looking at their OL players for a quality young player that fits our needs as part of the trade.  I used Dallas as an example with Fredericks or Martin or Collins as candidates.   I think we should explore those kind of scenarios with any team that might call. 

You guys can't use the Vontae trade to show "you can get great players by trading for them". Vontae sucked in Miami, he wasn't in a good club and he wasn't in a good head space. Do you not remember when we traded for Vontae a lot of people collectively said "Who?"? We still had to give up a 2nd to get him (the Dolphins were after even more btw). We turned him into a ProBowler after he got here. We didn't trade for a ProBowler.

You think that the Cowboys would give up one of their star Olinemen? Maybe for #18 but not for a trade up scenario unless it involved us moving down a couple of rounds. They'd most likely be after multiple picks without giving one up themselves.

Anyone your going to get offered in a reasonable trade down is going to have either a big red-flag (Vontae - work ethic, inconsistency), be old, be a backup.

Martin/Frederick/Collins are a pipe dream. There aren't enough good Olinemen to go around the NFL. If you have one you keep him. If you have 5, you keep them and dominate. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that's what Dallas is gunna plan to do.

18 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

So would you prefer Decker or Henry? Either way we're going offense, and honestly myself along with many fans and "experts" all agree on the pick. 

Holy jesus I hope Grigson isn't anywhere near your thought process.

#1 this pick does not have to be offensive and in no way has anyone hinted at so.  In fact the last game we had a QB and our current OC together they put on an offensive show usually means that the first pick isn't going anywhere near the offense. 

#2 your picks are just flat out bad even if they are offensive...  You want to take 2nd rounders in the first?

#3 Not "many fans" agree with you if you have been reading this forum lately and "experts" I'm assuming as in the media mock drafts tend to be wrong a large portion of the time when it comes to individual picks to teams.  They rate top 100 players more often than not largely correct but lets not act like every year 20 out of 32 picks are called right by these "so called experts".  They are usually batting close to 2-10 right a round that is it.

Denver/NE had arguably the worst OL in the AFC last year and they ended up in the Championship game against one another. I don't think our OL is that bad...it isn't great either. We don't have really elite players on defense or at QB etc to offset our short comings. NE has a qb and system that gets the ball out VERY quickly...uses the passing game to run the ball effectively and Denver had one of the best defenses we've seen the past decade. Fact of the matter is Luck holds on to the ball entirely too long. Is it because he is slow making his reads/progressions, the wrs are slow getting in and out of their break or uncovering at the line of scrimmage when they face press, or the offense we were running took too much time for our plays to develop. To me more than likely a mixture of the last two with a bit of the first mixed in. Personally I was very dissappointed in our wrs ability to uncover and get open early in routes and give Andrew something to throw to early. I know our line isn't great but Andrew didn't get hurt standing in the pocket and get crushed by a bull rush. His shoulder injury was mostly from trying to buy time in the pocket and holding the ball and the kidney was from running around with the ball. Neither really the OL's fault.

I will agree to an extent its a false narrative that our OL is getting Andrew hurt. It's more concerning we can't run the ball like I'd like than the pass protection honestly. So hopefully a different scheme and a couple new faces will help remedy things but an overhaul isn't really necessary. I'd like two or three OL picks, a couple lbs (one rush), and maybe a DT and someone in the secondary out of the draft. Where they will all be I don't know. I don't think the OL all needs to come early or late....just where the value is but we need an influx of youth on defense and some guys with some fight on that OL. Having Luck back will fix a lot and I'm counting on the new staff to make the necessary changes too to get this back on track and us back in the post season. 

Y'know, I'm warming to Conklin or Decker in the 1st if Lawson and Spence are gone, but only as immediate starters at RG.  No true interior linemen are worth the #18 this year, but both of these guys could be very good RGs, given that we are implementing more ZBS concepts.  The fact that they could simultaneously provide additional OT depth and even eventually move there in a year or two enhances their value further.  That being said, if a future stud OLB is on the board, that's what I take...

On April 18, 2016 at 2:41 PM, IndyD4U said:

It's well deserved in my opinion. Why it wasn't fixed in years past blows my mind 

It's not hard to figure out why it wasn't fixed in years past.

We gave signifiant effort in 2013.

We signed Cherilus and Thomas....   and we drafted Thornton and Holmes.      And so far,  none has worked out to our satisfaction.       But we certainly tried.       It's not like we didn't try.      It just didn't work out.

On April 19, 2016 at 6:29 PM, LJpalmbeacher said:

"lied to..."

Here we go again.....................     :facepalm:

Right.    Everyone involved set out to NOT build a go team.

But you're such a genius that you've figured it out......      we were lied to.....

Good God,  where does this come from?!?

On April 19, 2016 at 5:10 PM, DougDew said:

Somebody at ESPN had to piece this bit together and a lot time for it, as well as scripts by the two talking heads.  Its the same narrative that is the result of the limited thinking out of Bristol CT.

It fits the constant narrative that Indy doesn't ever have a tough team, and this time highlighted by its "big uglies" on the oline getting pushed around.  Only NE, PITT, PHIL, BALT are allowed to have tough teams, because their fans are tough enough (meaning stupid in my book) to sit in cold rain and eat and drink overpriced beer and concessions. 

The Colts have always been a poorly rostered team, cheered onwards by stupid tepid Midwesterners (except the island of toughness displayed by GB and CHI), who are only on the football map because of its heroic QB(s).

Same story, different presentation.

Oh, God.....     here we go......

In shows like the football shows that ESPN airs,  there are basically no scripts.    When the talking heads are trashing the Colts,   they're saying whatever they want to say.      A section is given X-amount of time....   say, 3:00....   and everyone gets to talk during the window of opportunity.   

No one has written a script,  except maybe -- maybe -- to introduce the section.    But once it's going,  everyone is ad-libbing their comments.

No one is trashing the Colts because they're under orders from executives at ESPN.

On April 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep. Did anyone watch the Super Bowl? #2 offensive line in the league got completely owned by Denver's pass rush, and they weren't even blitzing.

What was Von Miller doing if he wasn't blitzing.     He's a linebacker,  he doesn't have to rush on every down.

Denver blitzed plenty.

I think some people on here are still in denial about how bad our offensive line really is. I think the scheme change and change to Philbin as coach will help but I also think too, that we need more talent. Beyond Mewhort and Costanzo everyone else is suspect. 

I recently saw a headline that Luck was not yet 100% but feeling really good. It's been like 5 months since he got hurt(for the last time). He was a crash test dummy in every game he played this year. He wasnt the only one, we lost Hasselbeck and more. Im sure the boys at ESPN just picked out some of the glaring plays to use as examples but the offensive line play overall was poor. It has to get fixed this year.