Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL live "mocks" Colts OL today

richard pallo

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not hard to figure out why it wasn't fixed in years past.

We gave signifiant effort in 2013.

We signed Cherilus and Thomas....   and we drafted Thornton and Holmes.      And so far,  none has worked out to our satisfaction.       But we certainly tried.       It's not like we didn't try.      It just didn't work out.

I'm really tired of reading this "WELL GRIGSON TRIED HIS HARDEST TO FIX IT!!!!1!" narrative.

Other teams try too and and get good players. The Colts tried and have largely failed in building an offensive line. Effort stickers are for kids. This is the NFL.

1 hour ago, Restored said:

I'm really tired of reading this "WELL GRIGSON TRIED HIS HARDEST TO FIX IT!!!!1!" narrative.

Other teams try too and and get good players. The Colts tried and have largely failed in building an offensive line. Effort stickers are for kids. This is the NFL.

Also the fact is that it isn't even remotely true that he's even tried his hardest to fix it.

Under Grigson we've spent no first rounders on OL and 1 second rounder on OL and 1 third rounder on OL in the space of 4 years.

Look at our current starting OL.

Castanzo - 1st round pick but previous regime

Mewhort - Highest Pick Grigson has used on a OL, 2nd rounder

Holmes - 4th rounder/Harrison UDFA

Thornton - 3rd rounder

Reitz - UDFA

Consequently I'm noticing that our best OL guys are our first and 2nd rounder.  Funny how that works.  

Saying he's even tried to fix it is absolute horse hockey.  He keeps trying to patch it up with low round draft picks and UDFA's.  Maybe when he starts drafting OL in the first round I'll believe he's actually tried.  But no he's too busy drafting speedy receivers, bust pash rushers, and trading for an RB who will go down in history as one of the biggest busts ever at his position.    

15 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Also the fact is that it isn't even remotely true that he's even tried his hardest to fix it.

Under Grigson we've spent no first rounders on OL and 1 second rounder on OL and 1 third rounder on OL in the space of 4 years.

Thornton - 3rd rounder

Reitz - UDFA

Consequently I'm noticing that our best OL guys are our first and 2nd rounder.  Funny how that works.  

Saying he's even tried to fix it is absolute horse hockey.  He keeps trying to patch it up with low round draft picks and UDFA's.  Maybe when he starts drafting OL in the first round I'll believe he's actually tried.  But no he's too busy drafting speedy receivers, bust pash rushers, and trading for an RB who will go down in history as one of the biggest busts ever at his position.    

Agreed. Grigson has been playing with pennies when he should've been putting quarters in the machine.

3 hours ago, Restored said:

I'm sorry you're tired of it.    I'm sure you're not alone.   

But his decisions may cost him his job.    Now, unless firing a guy isn't good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I only write that when a poster makes some reference to why haven't we fixed the line problem comment.

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Thornton - 3rd rounder

Reitz - UDFA

Sorry,   it's NOT horse hockey.

In 2013 we spent a 4 on a center and a 3 on a guard.   Absolutely nothing wrong with that.    And in that same time period,  we made Cherilus the highest paid right tackle in football and we signed Thomas to a very solid deal.    

So,  the Colts spent considerable draft picks and money trying to address the line.     Frustratingly for all of us, none of the moves have worked out to anyone's satisfaction.     That's why we are where we are.

9 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I think some people on here are still in denial about how bad our offensive line really is. I think the scheme change and change to Philbin as coach will help but I also think too, that we need more talent. Beyond Mewhort and Costanzo everyone else is suspect. 

I recently saw a headline that Luck was not yet 100% but feeling really good. It's been like 5 months since he got hurt(for the last time). He was a crash test dummy in every game he played this year. He wasnt the only one, we lost Hasselbeck and more. Im sure the boys at ESPN just picked out some of the glaring plays to use as examples but the offensive line play overall was poor. It has to get fixed this year.

Good post. It took this long in the thread to find someone I actually agreed with.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry you're tired of it.    I'm sure you're not alone.   

But his decisions may cost him his job.    Now, unless firing a guy isn't good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I only write that when a poster makes some reference to why haven't we fixed the line problem comment.

But that's not a viable excuse. Saying that Grigson TRIED to fix the offensive line is a major cop out.

44cd613e52bf11a69e510e2ab5a79f52abb0fdd18b267febb0f6a6685ee8c759.jpg

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,   it's NOT horse hockey.

In 2013 we spent a 4 on a center and a 3 on a guard.   Absolutely nothing wrong with that.    And in that same time period,  we made Cherilus the highest paid right tackle in football and we signed Thomas to a very solid deal.    

So,  the Colts spent considerable draft picks and money trying to address the line.     Frustratingly for all of us, none of the moves have worked out to anyone's satisfaction.     That's why we are where we are.

Oh boy and 4th rounder (a 3rd day draft pick) and a 3rd rounder.  

Thomas got a low level starters deal

Cherilus got a ton of money for having 1 good year.  

But still no first round picks to the OL.  Also no major free agent signings for the OL after 2013.  

So 2 major FA signings for OL from the 2013 off season neither of which worked out constitute trying.  Why hasn't he signed other FA's for the OL?  Why hasn't he spent high picks on OL??

He's done NOTHING for the OL since 2013 except draft Jack Mewhort.  That's it.

Maybe he was trying in 2013, but he certainly stopped trying after that.  

6 hours ago, Restored said:

But that's not a viable excuse. Saying that Grigson TRIED to fix the offensive line is a major cop out.

I'm not giving an excuse.

I'm only explaining to those who continue to believe that Grigson has not attempted to fix the line --- that he indeed has.

As for Yoda ---  hey, I'm a fan --- but it doesn't go far in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh boy and 4th rounder (a 3rd day draft pick) and a 3rd rounder.  

Thomas got a low level starters deal

Cherilus got a ton of money for having 1 good year.  

But still no first round picks to the OL.  Also no major free agent signings for the OL after 2013.  

So 2 major FA signings for OL from the 2013 off season neither of which worked out constitute trying.  Why hasn't he signed other FA's for the OL?  Why hasn't he spent high picks on OL??

He's done NOTHING for the OL since 2013 except draft Jack Mewhort.  That's it.

Maybe he was trying in 2013, but he certainly stopped trying after that.  

As I noted in another post,  if you believe in the guys you draft/sign,  then you have to give them at least a little time (several years) to show what they can do.

So, the free agents guys got two years and were cut.    Thomas and Cherilus.   And Thomas got a solid free agent contract for a guard -- 4 years, 14 Mill.     He was an investment.      Same with Gosder.

As for picks 3 and 4 on Thornton and Holmes,   taking a guard and a center with a 3 and a 4 is a serious investment.       As Grigson has repeatedly noted,  he's been a part of three franchises (Rams, Eagles, Colts) who ALL went to the Super Bowl with a free agent at center.     So, investing a 4 is certainly a full investment.

Holmes was a good pick at the time who hasn't panned out.

Hey,  I'm in the small camp that says either draft Kelly in the 1st,  OR,   draft Martin or Westerman in the 2nd.   I want the Center spot fixed once and for all.      

Hopefully,  Thornton blossoms under the teaching of Philbin.....

On 4/18/2016 at 4:28 PM, Indyfan4life said:

So would you prefer Decker or Henry? Either way we're going offense, and honestly myself along with many fans and "experts" all agree on the pick. 

All us fans and all the so called experts can have thier conclusions and thoughts about who we will draft and who makes most sense. That's great, but it in the end it all means nothing. What means everything is how Grigson, our coaches and scouts think and the board they have assembled. Which none of us really have any idea of. And if you're feeling us picking Decker so strongly cause it's an area of biggest need, I think you are set for dissapointment yet again. Grigson has made it perfectly clear again they will not draft according to need. It's a toss up right now I believe as to who we may pick. I could see a number of things playing out. And im not sure where you got the crystal ball to see into the future and state it as fact that colts will be drafting offense with the first pick. I think if you look at who we've worked out and visitied with and showed interest in, it'd actually lead you to believe differently.

I am of a dissenting opinion on this subject. There are alot of teams in the league with worse offensive lines than the Colts. (I do agree with the person who said both denver and the sucriot o lines are pathetic. I also think Cherilous sucks, Thomas was awful so it didn't matter that he was always hurt. Speaking of bad offensive lines, how many of you guys know Ben Ijalana has started for the Jest the last two seasons?????? That guy could not play a bit and Polian drafted him in the 2nd round! So with all the media hype the Jest get, their offensive line SUCKS, you can't have a good offensive line if Ijalana is even on the roster!!! The Colts need to draft Conklin, in my opinion

On April 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Good we deserve to be laughed at it is a damn joke why our stupid GM can't fix the OLine is beyond me 

I feel your frustration brother & agree with you in principle CF12, but let's wait until week 8 before we hold Grigson's feet to the fire & start evaluating him for this calendar year first. 

On April 20, 2016 at 7:31 AM, lollygagger8 said:

When you have a sign that says "PROTECT #12" on your desk, I'm pretty sure you should look at that sign once in awhile. 

LOL! That's why I love you man. You always have the confidence to say what everybody else is thinking Lolly. 

10 hours ago, Restored said:

Your Yoda quote does have merit in 1 sense Restored: GMs are paid based on protecting the face of the franchise, cap space manipulation, & bringing in guys that contribute immediately. The first job description needs some work while the other tasks seem to me like Ryan is doing okay or satisfactory. 

The line could have been FIXED a long time ago, but I wont get into that as everyone knows it should have been. I'm just going to sit back and assume it WILL be FIXED this year. I'm going to assume we'll draft a Guard and a Center who will come day 1 in and FINALLY solidify the embarrassment that is our offensive line. Hopefully as an added bonus Hugh Thornton has a breakout year in the new scheme and we have 3 good, starting caliber guards on the roster. One of Whitehair or Westerman will in all likelihood be there at 48. I'd be good with either. Then we can get our Center in the 3rd-5th. There's 3-4 Centers in that range who I feel has the potential to be week 1 starters.

On 4/18/2016 at 5:51 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Can't really be mad when it's true. I'd laugh if they did a show mocking the Giants poor excuse of a secondary.

Yeah, but they won't mock a major market for them.  They'd be more likely to do a love piece on their spunk and potential.  They also used Mewhort as an example and overall he was our best lineman last year for what it was worth.  

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:30 AM, get an 0-line said:

I do too. but it is hard to get draft picks who can come in and start. I would prefer they trade picks for a proven young player who is not a project like a lot of drafted players are.i want us to win this year not wait for a project to develop. we traded a pick for davis and it worked. why cant we do it on the o-line?

It would be nice but, most teams aren't in the business of trading young offensive linemen in the draft... really its not a good draft strategy.. Trade a position of strength for a pick... now you've created another hole... And in your scenario they are giving us a young offensive linemen and a pick(s) for our first.. You're limiting the amount of ammunition you have to replace the hole you just created..

Personally, if we are going to trade back I'd prefer it was with a team towards the end of the first.  That way we can pick up their pick and likely another second.   Take Spence with the first round pick you get because he'll likely be there and then draft  Whitehair and Martin.  Line is then solid unless you're not sold at guard. 

Everything that I've heard has this being a deep defensive draft, outside of pass rusher, and offensive line.  I've been saying to my friends for weeks I wouldn't rule out the colts drafting the Ole Miss end or Darian Thompsan.  If you watch tape on him he looks like Watt.  He's an odd duck and may have some character issues but, he's also going to come in with a chip on his shoulder and bring an edge to this defense.  Something it has sorely lacked since we made the switch to a 3-4 scheme.

10 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Yeah, but they won't mock a major market for them.  They'd be more likely to do a love piece on their spunk and potential.  They also used Mewhort as an example and overall he was our best lineman last year for what it was worth.  

The fact that they tried to use Mewhort as an example of how bad our line is stupid..  He didn't allow a freaking sack after moving back to guard...

I would love to see the first two picks going Oline. But the NFL draft has always and will always be a gamble,no one can predict how the prospects will work out. As far as trading for young talent,or paying top tier,free agents. I believe the impact on the salary cap would hamper us,in other areas. I'm no expert,but I believe you have to keep an influx of new players just to manage it. And supplement,as we have in the past ,with UDFA,which Colts staff have done,with success.

On April 21, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Two_pound said:

I am of a dissenting opinion on this subject. There are alot of teams in the league with worse offensive lines than the Colts. (I do agree with the person who said both denver and the sucriot o lines are pathetic. I also think Cherilous sucks, Thomas was awful so it didn't matter that he was always hurt. Speaking of bad offensive lines, how many of you guys know Ben Ijalana has started for the Jest the last two seasons?????? That guy could not play a bit and Polian drafted him in the 2nd round! So with all the media hype the Jest get, their offensive line SUCKS, you can't have a good offensive line if Ijalana is even on the roster!!! The Colts need to draft Conklin, in my opinion

so what if the patriots and Denver had poor offensive lines?  Brady took a beating and Denver had  pathetic offense.

I couldn't agree more, so why do so many people gripe about our offensive line?  There must be more to football than offensive line play. I was just talking to an "intense" Packer fan yesterday who said she wishes they had our offensive line because theirs is so bad. Didn't the Packers make the playoffs last year? Maybe they just feasted on a "weak" division that included the Lions and Bears and maybe they had the 3rd "easiest" schedule last season. Who knows? How many people on this forum actually watch any of the other 31 teams, other than when they are playing the Colts?

On April 20, 2016 at 1:40 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Thornton - 3rd rounder

Reitz - UDFA

This is so true!!!! We have what only a couple teams in the league do and that's a franchise QB who should be a future HOFer if he stays healthy. After that it should all start with protecting that franchise obviously. But the Colts have done a very poor job, and we are taking years off of Lucks career by not doing so. Skill positions will be fine when you have a great QB with a OL who gives him time...

Until we can do that then everyone else can be compared on how too from the Patriots! 

2 minutes ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

This is so true!!!! We have what only a couple teams in the league do and that's a franchise QB who should be a future HOFer if he stays healthy. After that it should all start with protecting that franchise obviously. But the Colts have done a very poor job, and we are taking years off of Lucks career by not doing so. Skill positions will be fine when you have a great QB with a OL who gives him time...

Until we can do that then everyone else can be compared on how too from the Patriots! 

How to from the Patriots?  Do you watch football at all? Brady has taken a beating for the last couple of years and their running game has been pretty low also. This Patriot obsession with some fans is sickening.

10 hours ago, Samu-Rye said:

I would love to see the first two picks going Oline. But the NFL draft has always and will always be a gamble,no one can predict how the prospects will work out. As far as trading for young talent,or paying top tier,free agents. I believe the impact on the salary cap would hamper us,in other areas. I'm no expert,but I believe you have to keep an influx of new players just to manage it. And supplement,as we have in the past ,with UDFA,which Colts staff have done,with success.

Though I don't love the idea of drafting Decker if he can't 100% be a starting guard day one, I do actually think OSU is a really strong O-Line developmental team.  So it's more likely than not he won't be a bust.  If I knew we could get Kelly AND Decker, I'd be really happy, but I doubt we could get both as Kelly keeps moving up the draft chart.  I think we need a versatile Safety on D because Geathers is unproven and Adams is old and I am not confident he'll keep his playing level at the top or stay healthy and even if he does we have no reliable depth at all.  Safety is our thinnest position on D after Pass Rusher (of which we have Mathis and that's it in my view).  There's 2 Safeties at the end of Round 1... perhaps we can get one of them with a trade down and pick up Kelly and the guard from Stanford... those would be 3 solid picks.  I just don't see pass rushers that fall into the right positions for us or that are true 3-4 Rush OLB's. 

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

How to from the Patriots?  Do you watch football at all? Brady has taken a beating for the last couple of years and their running game has been pretty low also. This Patriot obsession with some fans is sickening.

The last time the Pats have drafted a skill position player in the first round was Terry Glenn in the 96 draft. Not sure where you have been in the last decade of the NFL or maybe your just hating which I can understand. But they have done a great job with their OL in the past and not paying or giving up a lot on a wr or rb. 

I hate the Pats and it's not an obsession unfortunately it's reality! 

13 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I couldn't agree more, so why do so many people gripe about our offensive line?  There must be more to football than offensive line play. I was just talking to an "intense" Packer fan yesterday who said she wishes they had our offensive line because theirs is so bad. Didn't the Packers make the playoffs last year? Maybe they just feasted on a "weak" division that included the Lions and Bears and maybe they had the 3rd "easiest" schedule last season. Who knows? How many people on this forum actually watch any of the other 31 teams, other than when they are playing the Colts?

She isn't very smart

2 hours ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

The last time the Pats have drafted a skill position player in the first round was Terry Glenn in the 96 draft. Not sure where you have been in the last decade of the NFL or maybe your just hating which I can understand. But they have done a great job with their OL in the past and not paying or giving up a lot on a wr or rb. 

I hate the Pats and it's not an obsession unfortunately it's reality! 

So Brady being sacked more in the last three years than he has in the past means zero to you? There lack of running game has not all been related to injuries to RBs either. The Patriots are not a very good example to be used as far as a great O-line or how to build one IMO.

Schlereth can talk all the % he wants saying it's the worst line he's ever seen in his life just as long as he remembers who actually beat the SB champs this year and who got smacked by them.

In the meantime Romo and Ben all missed time this year, Rodgers missed time last year. Luck got injured running the ball himself lol It's easy to pile on the Colts then you look at teams who actually put high resources into their lines and ended up with an injured QB anyway and realize it could be a lot worse for us.

On 4/24/2016 at 10:29 AM, crazycolt1 said:

To be fair, last year the Pats had so many OL injuries it was nuts.  I don't think any team could realistically protect it's QB well while experiencing as many OL injuries as they did.

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Brady being sacked more in the last three years than he has in the past means zero to you? There lack of running game has not all been related to injuries to RBs either. The Patriots are not a very good example to be used as far as a great O-line or how to build one IMO.

I wasnt giving an example of how to build an OL from the Patriots! I was simply stating that the Patriots have been the most winning NFL franchise by not spending money or using first round draft picks on a  wr or rb... I do understand that their OL has struggled a bit late. But they were actually very good early in the year last season ranked as high as sixth at one point. But they have done a very good job in the past decade and without focusing on skill position players and protecting Brady at the same time. 

7 hours ago, bababooey said:

Schlereth can talk all the % he wants saying it's the worst line he's ever seen in his life just as long as he remembers who actually beat the SB champs this year and who got smacked by them.

In the meantime Romo and Ben all missed time this year, Rodgers missed time last year. Luck got injured running the ball himself lol It's easy to pile on the Colts then you look at teams who actually put high resources into their lines and ended up with an injured QB anyway and realize it could be a lot worse for us.

Just because a QB gets injured doesn't mean the line is bad.

On 4/20/2016 at 10:08 PM, NewColtsFan said:

It's not hard to figure out why it wasn't fixed in years past.

We gave signifiant effort in 2013.

We signed Cherilus and Thomas....   and we drafted Thornton and Holmes.      And so far,  none has worked out to our satisfaction.       But we certainly tried.       It's not like we didn't try.      It just didn't work out.

You're a good poster...I tend to boycott this time of year because there is so much unknown you just can't know what a team might do and so few people truly know collegiate players it's all a bunch of pontification. Last year no one on the planet had us taking Dorsett (with good reason).  However to your point above.  Bill Polian once famously quoted "effort is simply the price of admission."  That is to say, let's not confuse effort and results.  Throwing bad picks and injured FA's at a problem may constitute effort by definition, what we care about are the results, he'd (Grigson) better get it right this year.  O-Line and Pass Rush are at a premium, that's what we had better see or he's headed to the unemployment line.  Keep posting, Go Colts!

18 hours ago, bababooey said:

The point was we aren't the worst line schlereths ever seen.

Mark also said last season that the Redskins had a very good o-line too & I seem to recall Aron Rogers Packers demolishing that DC squad 35-18 in the NFC Wildcard Game too. "You like that" Mark? 

He's such a homer it's not even funny CBE. I get it. He won a ring with the burgundy boys back in the day, but his dismissive attitude toward INDY will never change. I always roll with laughter everytime he gets on the Cowboys bandwagon. 

I just wear ESPN 2nd guessing of our Colts like a badge of honor now. We know the truth. You're never as horrible as everybody thinks you are & who knows we might even surprise some sports pundits too. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Mark also said last season that the Redskins had a very good o-line too & I seem to recall Aron Rogers Packers demolishing that DC squad 35-18 in the NFC Wildcard Game too. "You like that" Mark? 

He's such a homer it's not even funny CBE. I get it. He won a ring with the burgundy boys back in the day, but his dismissive attitude toward INDY will never change. I always roll with laughter everytime he gets on the Cowboys bandwagon. 

I just wear ESPN 2nd guessing of our Colts like a badge of honor now. We know the truth. You're never as horrible as everybody thinks you are & who knows we might even surprise some sports pundits too. 

I don't even watch ESPN. My baseball team has their own network. My hockey and basketball teams share a network. Don't care to see what the national media has to say about the Colts despite the fact we have a winning record every year. Only reason I haven't cut the cord yet is because I don't want to miss the Colts, Yankees, and Rangers. Actually, here in CT comcast subscribers lost the Yankees this year. It's crazy.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:31 PM, richard pallo said:

If you have a chance to watch ESPN's NFL live today you should do it.  There is a segment at the end of the show when they talk about the Colts off season workouts starting today and they focus on the OL with Woody and Schlerich.  They have a lot of fun showing our Ol getting beat with three rushing our five and pretty much mock us out for having no talent.  They show Harrison, I believe, getting bull rushed by one guy putting him on his back quickly.  They show a number of clips that are pretty bad.  Hard to watch and then listen to their comments.  They have a lot of laughs at our lines expense.  For Luck's sake and our teams success I hope they fix it next week.  

saw it and it was brutal.  when analysts find tape like that, it makes the OL look like a joke, but they had some good plays too and they will not show those.