Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Million dollar question

csmopar

I know this is putting the cart before the horse but....

Say we somehow win out, make the playoffs before Luck comes back....if youre Pagano do you roll into that wildcard game with your startery being the one QB with the hot hand or do you go with Andrew luck, who hadn't started in 6 weeks plus?

Teams will eventually catch on to the fact that Hasselbeck can't drive the ball downfield.

Im not so sure that's accurate. He drove a couple today...granted they weren't 50 yard bombs but that pass to Moncrief was perfect. Perfect spiral and placement.

I still put Luck in, Hass is doing Good and holding the fort down but isn't playing Great and Luck is better. I understand the love Hass is getting though and I love his play but lets not fool ourselves, without Luck we have no chance at a deep Playoff run. Hass is beating teams we should beat in the Jags, Texans, Bucs. The Falcons win in Atlanta was his best one because that was a 50/50.

Teams will eventually catch on to the fact that Hasselbeck can't drive the ball downfield.

if we know it, you know other teams do. Matt has just made a living off the dink and dunk game, he's been able to beat opposing teams game plans enough to at least keep us in the game. But if we were down 14 with 5 minutes left, I'm not sure he could carry the load.

People remember MH beat the Jags, Texans, Falcons, and Bucs right? People forget Luck beat the Broncos, barely lost to the Panthers, lost respectably (for once) to New England, and two of those were with Pep calling the game. First the MH could be a HOF thread then he's an MVP thread now you want to sit the better player. Give me a break. If anything Luck is learning by watching and will benefit better from Chud. MH just needs to get us there

if we know it, you know other teams do. Matt has just made a living off the dink and dunk game, he's been able to beat opposing teams game plans enough to at least keep us in the game. But if we were down 14 with 5 minutes left, I'm not sure he could carry the load.

Brady's doing pretty well for himself with a dink-and-dunk offense.  Just because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm doesn't mean he's gonna get destroyed.

As for the original question, you roll with Luck.  He brings more to the table

People remember MH beat the Jags, Texans, Falcons, and Bucs right? People forget Luck beat the Broncos, barely lost to the Panthers, lost respectably (for once) to New England, and two of those were with Pep calling the game. First the MH could be a HOF thread then he's an MVP thread now you want to sit the better player. Give me a break. If anything Luck is learning by watching and will benefit better from Chud. MH just needs to get us there

This. 

We are a GOOD team folks. We were maybe 5 plays away from beating the Pats and Panthers. That's when we still had a terrible Offensive coordinator and was making silly mistakes. Who knows what this team's ceiling is with Luck fully healthy, with Chud at OC, and learning from Matt. 

Brady's doing pretty well for himself with a dink-and-dunk offense. Just because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm doesn't mean he's gonna get destroyed.

As for the original question, you roll with Luck. He brings more to the table

I agree. That's why my post was inrended more as a compliment to Matt than anything else.

The Houston game is a better question. If Hasselbeck plays well the next to weeks, do you have a better shot with Matt or Luck who's been out for five weeks? Ideally, you might like to get the Houston game with Matt, then get Luck warmed up the final two weeks. If you lose to Houston, whatever you do - go with Matt or drop Luck back into the biggest game of the year after five weeks out - you will be second guessed.

Definitely Luck, Dorsett should hopefully be a assimilated back into the game due to the injury. Hopefully he doesn't lose a step. I think the O seems a lot less vanilla with Chud even though it's pretty much the same offense Pep ran into the ground. I think a healthy focused Andrew would be a pretty dangerous thing if he continues his play from the Denver game.

I'm glad there are plenty of level headed people understanding Luck should be the starter the moment he becomes healthy, but take nothing away from Matt, he's playing great football!!  Even though he is 40 he is playing at a starting level.  You just can't play him over Luck.  That would just be crazy!

I said this before the season, not expecting this would be the case, but stated if anything happened to Andrew, Matt is more than capable of taking this team to the playoffs.  He certainly has demonstrated it while filling in!  Colts fans are certainly LUCKy, not to have one great QB, but 2!  I would have to say the best backup in the league :)  Add a perhaps the best backup RB to the picture as well, and a HOF punter and kicker (although Patty Mc isn't that old yet) and you can understand the potential to this team.

When everybody was freaking out, I was very confident (albeit a little nervous about the coaching), even in the losses, because we've competed with the best in the NFL and could've won.

Never once have I said that I wanted to sit Luck and start Matt. I'm simply posing the question of whether you ride the hot hand or go back to a QB who hadn't been playing to his potential prior to getting hurt. This same question can be applied to Denvers situation as well. It's a fair question and not out of the realm of possibilities......

This makes too much sense. Too many on this board don't want to hear this truth my brother

Half the people touting Hasselbeck now wanted him fired in the pre-season...This board kills me.  This is Lucks team and Hasselbeck is doing his job very well right now, but he's not going to win big games against elite defenses and high scoring offenses over a period of several weeks in the playoffs.  I'm a huge Hasselbeck fan and I hope he sticks around a couple more years, a la Mark Brunnell.

Thanks for this....

Brady's doing pretty well for himself with a dink-and-dunk offense.  Just because he doesn't have a cannon for an arm doesn't mean he's gonna get destroyed.

As for the original question, you roll with Luck.  He brings more to the table

Right on both counts. They're calling games for MH's abilities and he's great at reading the coverage.

A healthy Luck can do that and more. Now if he can just learn to dump it when necessary, and slide...