Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Million dollar question

csmopar

take a look at the VERY FIRST game luck played called by chud. now luck has the next 1-5 weeks to talk to chud WHILE playcalling is taking place this is giving luck a unique perspective on the offensive system. when luck is healthy he will come back and he will play well. he will play better than matt. matt has done a great job. but andrew will do better. alot better. moncrief continues to flourish the run game has been good all year short of this afternoon. the defense pitched a 2nd half shutout. 

the million dollar question is painfully obvious

Teams will eventually catch on to the fact that Hasselbeck can't drive the ball downfield.

Agreed. There will be a time where defenses will sit on the short game and dare MH to beat them deep. He's not like Manning is in his final years, and can probably do it at times, but the long ball certainly isn't the strength of his game.

Never once have I said that I wanted to sit Luck and start Matt. I'm simply posing the question of whether you ride the hot hand or go back to a QB who hadn't been playing to his potential prior to getting hurt. This same question can be applied to Denvers situation as well. It's a fair question and not out of the realm of possibilities......

It's not even a question, you go with your stud

I'm to lazy to type again so repost from another thread. 

If Matt wins out and drive the Colts to the playoffs while helping Luck heal for about 2 months, I would be conflicted on who to start in the playoffs. I would worry about Luck rustiness. I have to lean more on the hot hand. This reminds me of the 2001 Patriots but reveres the ages. Tom Brady comes in after veteran Bledsoe got injured. Brady lead the Patriots to the playoffs. Even though Bledsoe got healthy again, BB went with the hot hand in the playoffs. I dare say let MH lead us to the Superbowl and then let Luck play in the Superbowl. Everyone Wins. 

I just can't believe all of this qb controversy talk coming from everywhere. LUCK! No question. Matt has been terrific but he is only doing what he is paid to do. This is why he is here. To hopefully win games while Andrew is down. Not to replace Andrew. He has also had the benefit of a more competent oc and better protection than Andrew has had. The one game that Luck had Chud calling the plays he won. Against Denver. All that needs to be said

Never once have I said that I wanted to sit Luck and start Matt. I'm simply posing the question of whether you ride the hot hand or go back to a QB who hadn't been playing to his potential prior to getting hurt. This same question can be applied to Denvers situation as well. It's a fair question and not out of the realm of possibilities......

The Denver and indy situations are miles apart.

The fact that mike greensburg was advocating this tells me all I need to know. This is not a brilliant idea or discussion.

Stephen Holder had the nerve to ask Pagano this question today. He blamed the fans. Pagano told him to stay off Twitter, to put on his blinders and earmuffs. Should have told him to keep choppin wood. Then he said when Luck is 100%, he's the starter.

And that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I just can't believe all of this qb controversy talk coming from everywhere. LUCK! No question. Matt has been terrific but he is only doing what he is paid to do. This is why he is here. To hopefully win games while Andrew is down. Not to replace Andrew. He has also had the benefit of a more competent oc and better protection than Andrew has had. The one game that Luck had Chud calling the plays he won. Against Denver. All that needs to be said

Exactly

take a look at the VERY FIRST game luck played called by chud. now luck has the next 1-5 weeks to talk to chud WHILE playcalling is taking place this is giving luck a unique perspective on the offensive system. when luck is healthy he will come back and he will play well. he will play better than matt. matt has done a great job. but andrew will do better. alot better. moncrief continues to flourish the run game has been good all year short of this afternoon. the defense pitched a 2nd half shutout.

Yeah not to mention Luck can heal up anything that might be aliling him at this point.

You go with Luck when/if he is healthy and has no further risk of getting hurt. It's a no brainer and the Colts will start Luck when/if he is ready. But, Hasselbeck is a fantastic backup to have and we are beyond fortunate to have this man. Luck is a stud when healthy and we all know this despite the wahhh wahhh at times.

I don't even think there is any sort of controversy either since Luck and Matt are great friends who seem to support each other all the time.

As for those comparing this to Manning/Brock......omg........stop. Manning is ready for the retirement home and he may not even be able to feel half his body at this point. Brock just beat the defending champs in the snow who were unbeaten before.

Even if we beat Pittsburgh with Hasselbeck still don't matter. They aren't even that great either on defense. Luck beat one of the best defenses in the league when he went up against Denver this year. And he IS our starter now and for the future. He is just hurting now and it's more important he becomes 100% again.

I agree with most of this, except for the bolded....

The run game was terrible against Atlanta as well. Definitely losing some steam from Gore... I can see why Pagano wanted him on the pitch count... We better hope Boom can come back in and pick up where he left off because Gore will be dead by the time the playoffs arrive... assuming we make it that is.

I'm to lazy to type again so repost from another thread. 

If Matt wins out and drive the Colts to the playoffs while helping Luck heal for about 2 months, I would be conflicted on who to start in the playoffs. I would worry about Luck rustiness. I have to lean more on the hot hand. This reminds me of the 2001 Patriots but reveres the ages. Tom Brady comes in after veteran Bledsoe got injured. Brady lead the Patriots to the playoffs. Even though Bledsoe got healthy again, BB went with the hot hand in the playoffs. I dare say let MH lead us to the Superbowl and then let Luck play in the Superbowl. Everyone Wins. 

^ This is not a good idea.... at all...

Andrew Luck all the way.  I said it near the end of the Panthers game that it looked like Luck was getting his Dawg back.  He took that into the Broncos game with Chud and I think the two of them would have kept clicking from there if he hadn't sustained the injury.  Give me Luck and Chud all the way along with adding in a healthy Dorsett and we'll make this thing do what it do all the way to the big dance baby!

Luck played brilliantly in the Denver game....I think this time off has really opened his eyes to what he needs to do differently to play better. If Luck is 100% I roll with him (hopefully get him some reps by the last game of the season) but if not...Matt even though it limits our big play ability is good enough to win if the defense plays as well as it did in the second half the other day.

I know this has little to do with it our situation, but we saw the same thing happen in the NHL last year. NY Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist took a puck to the throat that damaged a blood vessel, leaving him susceptible to a stroke if he took another shot there again before it healed. Coincidentally, the freak nature of the injury was said to be common with car crash victims, similar to Luck's injury. Backup Cam Talbot came in for 7 weeks and went 17-4-3 in his absence. People were calling into WFAN every day saying to roll with the hot hand for the playoffs, and continued when Henrik returned and was a little rusty in his first game back. He had time to shake the rust off (and more time to heal because of NY's success) and grab a couple wins before the playoffs. When all was said and done they were 20 minutes from reaching the finals, including a comeback down 3-1 in the second round, and it was the offense that let the team down in that game 7 not Henrik. Moral to the story: hot hand be damned, give me chud and the stud.

You start Andrew Luck if 100% healthy. It's a total no-brainer. I cannot wait for him to get back. Luck is absolutely going to complement the play calling by Chud & the rest of the offense like it's nobody's business. We saw glimpses of it in the Denver game. Tore the 1st half to pieces. Once he gets into the rhythm and starts seeing things he's not used to? Oh my goodness.

The flood cometh.

Matthew is just a QB place holder for Luck everybody knows that. Yes, Matthew seems to incorporate Moncrief, Doyle, Allen, & Johnson better than Andrew did initially, but Chewbacca will learn to spread the ball around better too under Hasselback's guidance as well.

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

How short of a leash does Luck have or do you go down with him at the helm

This is the franchise QB. You sink or swim with the guy. And by all indications I've seen over the last 4 years, that helm stays dry for a very very long time. His best is yet to come. Bank on it.

It's becoming a hot topic recently in the media. Just for consideration: Andrew faced 3 unbeaten teams in his 7 starts. Aggregated record of teams Luck was facing is 47-30 (0.610), and for the teams Matt was facing it is 17-23 (0.425). 

Matt managed the team well, but he played suspect defenses.

It is a no-brainer to me: Luck shall start if he is fully recovered and ready.

1 hour ago, Hoosiernsavga said:

I dont want to see Luck play again this year. The OL is still horrible. Put HIM on IR and ride it out with Matt. I understand the injury is much different. But i dont want to be like the Cowboys.

Bring Luck back 100% next season behind a hopefully much improved OL!  

I would only agree with this if there is a danger of permanent damage. As I understand it, the kidney will repair itself as if it was never damaged. I'm sure if he does come back, he will be sliding more, when he runs.