Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How good is Joe Reitz?

James

AC and Mewhort look like our future combination at the left side of the offensive line.

But is Reitz good enough to count on long term? Has he proven himself to be a starter for the rest of the season AND for the future? Or do you still want to see a young RT get drafted (the 2016 draft is supposedly rich at the T position)?

I would like to see him string together a few more good games before I say he is a long term solution. If he plays like he did tonight more consistently then I say yes he might be a viable option at RT long term. Either way I still think we should be drafting O-Line this next draft as we need better talent and depth as we are an injury or two away from trouble with the depth we have.

He will be 31 by the time the season starts next year so he is not a long term solution based on that alone so you draft a Tackle to come in and compete with him for the starting job regardless of how he does the rest of the season

I like Reitz, he's a very serviceable and versatile backup.  I still think they need to acquire both a guard and right tackle via either FA, the draft or both next year.  We see Lance Louis and Herremans are not the answer.  They need more depth and talent.  With the new scheme, they are looking much better that's for sure.  Even the Jags game Hasselbeck was sacked three times but it wasn't constant pressure every single play. 

I saw several plays where Reitz got in JJ's kisser and stayed there.  I thought he had a darn good game.  Also, great game plan again for Pep.  JJ who?  Lovin it.  Anywho, I think Joe Reitz just keeps getting better and better.  I like him at right tackle better than Mewhort.  Plus Mewhort created a few holes for Gore tonight.

I saw several plays where Reitz got in JJ's kisser and stayed there. I thought he had a darn good game. Also, great game plan again for Pep. JJ who? Lovin it. Anywho, I think Joe Reitz just keeps getting better and better. I like him at right tackle better than Mewhort. Plus Mewhort created a few holes for Gore tonight.

The game plan vs. Watt was damn near perfectly laid out and executed. He was neutralized seemingly all night.

The problem with Reitz is that he gets dented and dinged, so the team doesn't believe he holds up well starting all 16 games.

They see him fitting best as a guy who can step in at most any spot on the OL, perhaps except Center or maybe LT.

But he could spot-start at LG or RG or RT.

The franchise likes Reitz a lot.     They gave him a very, very nice contract for a guy they don't expect to start.   I think it's 3/8+ with incentives.      That's a lot of money for a 6th OL.     So, they want him to play,  but perhaps not as a 16 game starter.

I think the Colts have figured out this is their best starting O-line right now. 

Barring injury I wouldn't be surprised if this is the O-line combo we see for the rest of the year. 

Reitz's only question is his ability to stay healthy.  Hopefully he can keep it together because he has been playing very well on the right side with Thornton.

It finally seems like the O-line is getting chemistry.

If by long term you mean the rest of the season then yes. But I think his time to be a franchise RT passed him by years ago. Early injuries de-railed his young career early and stunted his development. If only he could've had better luck when he was younger.

But I expect them to address RT in the draft regardless. Get a guy like Alexander or Conklin and groom them under Reitz until the wheels fall off.

I like the o-line right now.  They aren't holding, they are giving our guys time and room to make plays.  If we can extend this to the postseason look out. 

As far as next year, definitely target a good guard in FA and draft a tackle/guard with our 1st or 2nd round pick.

Phil Simms kept talking about how the Colts double teamed Watt and that is why they were containing him but I counted 4 plays in the 1st half where Reitz took Watt man to man and Reitz won three of them and the one he lost was the one Gore got penalized for the illegal chop block.  IN Gore's defense, when he made the decision to chop Watt, Reitz did not have his hands on him but it was just perfectly timed... Gore started to go low, Reitz got his hands on Watt's shoulder and then Gore made contact.

I don't know if Reitz is a long term solution, but I think if the Colts planned on him being the starting RT for the next 3 or 4 years the line will be in good shape.

The interior of the line is starting to look really, really good.  Holmes took Wilfork man to man most of the night and seemed to move The Bug wherever he wanted to.  Thornton is showing what I have thought since his rookie season... that if he ever gets in shape so he can play an entire game he will quickly become a very good guard and we are seeing that develop right before our eyes.  Mewhort, while not overly powerful, is such a technician and gets himself in the proper position just about all the time.  

Phil Simms kept talking about how the Colts double teamed Watt and that is why they were containing him but I counted 4 plays in the 1st half where Reitz took Watt man to man and Reitz won three of them and the one he lost was the one Gore got penalized for the illegal chop block.  IN Gore's defense, when he made the decision to chop Watt, Reitz did not have his hands on him but it was just perfectly timed... Gore started to go low, Reitz got his hands on Watt's shoulder and then Gore made contact.

I don't know if Reitz is a long term solution, but I think if the Colts planned on him being the starting RT for the next 3 or 4 years the line will be in good shape.

The interior of the line is starting to look really, really good.  Holmes took Wilfork man to man most of the night and seemed to move The Bug wherever he wanted to.  Thornton is showing what I have thought since his rookie season... that if he ever gets in shape so he can play an entire game he will quickly become a very good guard and we are seeing that develop right before our eyes.  Mewhort, while not overly powerful, is such a technician and gets himself in the proper position just about all the time.  

Agreed on the one-on-one blocking by Rietz. If he can stay healthy it will buy the Colts time to get a young RT.   But I really thought that the interior line was the key - and that's where Gore makes his money.  His ability to get into crease, make someone miss and accelerate into the 2nd level is what makes him special.  Now if we could add some play action to the game plan, we might have something.

Holmes did a good job too.  I thought the illegal down field was marginal but other than that, a good game for him.

I look back at the whole Harrison experiment last season, using Lance Louis and I'm left scratching my head.  I do want to see how the OL responds to the challenges that lie ahead in the next 5 games

AC and Mewhort look like our future combination at the left side of the offensive line.

But is Reitz good enough to count on long term? Has he proven himself to be a starter for the rest of the season AND for the future? Or do you still want to see a young RT get drafted (the 2016 draft is supposedly rich at the T position)?

The only knock on Joe has been durability. The guy can play at a high level when he is healthy.

Agreed on the one-on-one blocking by Rietz. If he can stay healthy it will buy the Colts time to get a young RT.   But I really thought that the interior line was the key - and that's where Gore makes his money.  His ability to get into crease, make someone miss and accelerate into the 2nd level is what makes him special.  Now if we could add some play action to the game plan, we might have something.

Holmes did a good job too.  I thought the illegal down field was marginal but other than that, a good game for him.

I look back at the whole Harrison experiment last season, using Lance Louis and I'm left scratching my head.  I do want to see how the OL responds to the challenges that lie ahead in the next 5 games

To be honest even with the Lance Louis/Herremans stuff from this year I have to wonder how much better they would have looked with this quick passing game?  I wonder are they exposed as much as they were with the deep passing block for a long time style?

The one thing about Reitz and his age is that he hasn't played much over the years, so he should be relatively less worn than other players who are his age.  Doesn't mean he'll be durable, but could mean that he'd be serviceable for the next 2-3 years.

I still figure we could use a new tackle.  Most likely a guy who we can ride at RT for the next 5 years, and potentially swing to left when Castanzo diminishes.  Odds are, we just need a long term answer for RT and to allow Reitz to be our #6.  But even if Reitz remains the starter for the next 2-3 years, we're fine.  He's playing very well, and the Colts were smart to keep him.

The illegal downfield was on Thornton not Holmes and yes it was marginal... he was probably 1-1/2 yards past.

I would like to see him string together a few more good games before I say he is a long term solution. If he plays like he did tonight more consistently then I say yes he might be a viable option at RT long term. Either way I still think we should be drafting O-Line this next draft as we need better talent and depth as we are an injury or two away from trouble with the depth we have.

He's getting old, but he had decent games last year at RT as well. Not sure why they didn't start with this same lineup game 1.. perhaps we'd have won one of those two games.  

The thing that the OC and coaches admitted was go back to the playoff OL line up we had for the most part with Reitz at RT and Mewhort inside at guard. That worked reasonably well for us and if the last 2 games are any indication, we need to keep it this way.

Thornton showed me he is a strong dude, just needs to stay healthy and keep learning.

I wa beyond shocked how well the interior offensive line played last night. Joe Reitz did a tremendous job against J.J Watt in last nights game. I loved how the Colts used pretty much everyone and anyone to help keep Watt out of the backfield. It was truly a team effort. Pep did a tremendous job calling the plays last night.

I think Reitz is a viable right tackle.  He hasn't played football that long so he doesn't have much wear on his tires.  Very athletic and smart.  Also, I think Good would be the next RT if Reitz gets bumped.  Good is...good.

He played basketball at my high school., didn't even play football back then. 

as much as im not a fan of thornton, Ill give him his due. he played very well. as for reitz, Im not jumping to conclusions. he had a lot of help blocking watt rather it was a back or te chipping or double team help. anyone else see allen completely blow watt off his feet haha

I wa beyond shocked how well the interior offensive line played last night. Joe Reitz did a tremendous job against J.J Watt in last nights game. I loved how the Colts used pretty much everyone and anyone to help keep Watt out of the backfield. It was truly a team effort. Pep did a tremendous job calling the plays last night.

They should have moved Watt inside more often. 

Well, though I agree with everything you said, some credit also goes to the blocking schemes doubling on both sides many times with great success.  Watt had a complete non-factor game.  In fact, they had their "MVP" on the field and we had ours off and still won.  That's why I think this division is over.  Who is going to catch us?  It looks like the rest of our division will struggle to win 6 games and I think we're a lock to win 7 worst case scenario.   

Everyone on our line is garbage. Just read the threads for the truly brilliant fans who post here.

Yeah well, there was a reason they benched Herremans, Lance Louis, moved Mewhort back to guard and inserted Reitz at RT........