Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game 1 Recap & Thoughts

Caleb3502

Eagles W 36-10

Offense

Passing Attack 

Andrew Luck look very good for the very few plays he was out there.  5 of 6 for 43 yards and was able to hook up with Dorsett 3 times for 31 yards and was able to connect with Johnson for a 9 yard gain on 3rd down.  Hasselbeck and Bennett were a combined 12 of 33 for 107 yards and two interceptions.  Hasselbeck was overthrowing WRs and Bennett just wasn't in rhythm at all.  Bennett was intercepted twice by S Ed Reynolds and was 4 of 16 for 35 yards.  Due to the low completion percentages of Hasselbeck and Bennett, there wasn't a lot to show for the WR group.  Dorsett had 4 grabs for 51 yards but fumbled on a 20 yard completion, which was also the longest play offensively for the Colts om that game. It's his first game so I'm not too concerned about that.  He just needs to show more awareness with the ball in his hands, and Eric Rowe did make a nice strip.  Carter was held to one catch for 16 yards. Tipton had 4 catches for 22 yards.  The offensive line wasn't really giving the QBs a real clean pocket which caused some of the mistakes.

Grade: D 

Just didn't see a lot of success with the 2nd and 3rd string passing attack.  

Rushing Attack 

Tipton was being fed the ball like a feature back in the first half of the game but wasn't running like it.  The run blocking wasn't too good, but Tipton was not doing a good job of evading tacklers.  He appears to lack vision when running towards the line and can't find the right way to run.  Tipton finished with 34 yards on 16 carries, 2.1 yards per carry.  I don't see Tipton making the 53-man roster.  He still has three games to prove himself, but he just does't seem to have a grasp on carrying the ball well.  Robinson I believe was a big plus in this game.  He was running hard and wasn't going down to easily.  Had a nice 3rd and goal TD run from the 9-yard line, where he was able to go off tackle to the left and bounce off of three defenders.  Finished with 10 carries for 44 yards, 4.4 yards per carry.  So far Robinson looks like a solid #3 RB.  Varga carried the ball three times for 16 yards, longest gain of 10.  Longest run of the day was Bennett, who had a 15 yard run.  Abou Torre got end-of-game carries and finished with 25 yards on 4 carries.  

Grade: C+

Robinson has a very good game but not a lot of rushing success outside of him.  

Offensive Player of the Game: HB Josh Robinson 

Defense

Run Defense

Colts defensive line seemed to have trouble with the read option and allowed to decent run gains.  The line didn't seem physical enough against the offensive line, and the Eagles running backs were able to some decent yardage on a couple of carries, but they didn't have a run of over 13 yards.  Henry Anderson was providing very good penetration in the time he saw in the first half and is so far looking like a great pick to help solidify the D-Line.  The defense didn't allow to many rushing yards, but the Eagles had a 4 yards per carry average as a team.  

Grade: B-

The run defense didn't look awful.  Probably being generous here with a B-, but all in all they didn't seem to bad. Would like to see better containment on the QB during read option.  They haven't had a lot of practice against the up tempo offense and the read option based offense that the Eagles run.    

Passing Defense

The pass defense look very good the first couple plays but really started to give up big passing players.  Toler broke up a couple passes early on but was lost on a throw to Agholor, who would then run in for the TD.  Barkley was looking really comfortable in the pocket and was completing a lot of his passes and gaining a lot of yardage.  They allowed 8 pass plays of 18 yards or more.  Deveron Carr was getting beat on plays and Casey wasn't looking too great either.  D'Joun Smith had to come out of the game due to a concussion.  Geathers had some nice tackles but was looking "iffy" in coverage.  Pass rush was really lacking in this game, but  ILB Junior Sylvestre had two sacks and DL Earl Okine had one sack.  Werner had a nice pass deflection on the line that led to a Herrera INT.

Grade: D 

Not a lot of good pass defense in this one.  

Defensive Player of the Game: ILB Junior Sylvestre with 2 sacks.  Amarlo Herrera also had a nice game with 5 tackles and an INT.

Special Teams

Coverage on punts were looking good until seconds to go before the half, when Barner ran a punt back 93 yards for the TD.  McAfee had some long punts in this game but also had a few short ones.  Vinatieri made a 32 yard field and converted on an XP attempt.  Carter had 1 KR for 24 yards out to the 19-yard line, Tipton had a 22 yard return, and Quan Bray had a 32-yard return with seconds remaining in the 4th quarter.  Bray also had 3 PRs for 5 yards and Dorsett had one PR for 5 yards.  

Grade: C

Outside the TD, the special teams were the main positive in the game.  I'm not too concerned about the punt coverage, and I'm sure the mistakes will be fixed in practices this week.

Hey, it's the first preseason game and mistakes are going to happen.  It's backups playing so there isn't anything major to complain about. Let's see how they do next game.  Who were your players of the game and what did you think about this game?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tackling, face-guarding secondary, Tipton, Bray, Hasselbeck, run-blocking O-line were not too good...

Josh Robinson, Phillip Dorsett, early Bryan Bennett (then some "experience" interceptions against), Silvestre, Harry Anderson, seemed to make some plays...

Lots of time to work it out, you can't chalk up too much in a game like this, especially when we won't see a third of these guys ever again...

Players of the Game:

Robinson

Parry

Herrera

Silvestre

On the other hand I think Carr and Tipton did enough to work themselves or of a roster spot. Didn't see anything from them. Montori Hughes was also invisible today which was disappointing.

Totally agree hughes was a non factor considering he was projected as a rotation guy, Really needs to step it up

My thoughts:

Tipton isn't very good. The early run blocking wasn't impressive, but there were some creases and angles, and he couldn't make his way through them. Sometimes he lacks the vision to find the hole, and even when he sees it he doesn't have the speed/burst to get through it. He looked good on the angle route, soft hands, nice shake on the LB, but as a runner, I was underwhelmed. Robinson is better already. And I know Gore is better.

First unit line played okay. Pass pro was fine for Luck and Hasselbeck, but Hasselbeck had some collapsing pockets. The run blocking was kind of hit and miss, but would get an INC from me. I thought they pushed some guys around at times, and the one play that got blown up was when Fletcher Cox jumped the snap (end of the play clock, but I thought he was offsides anyways). Let's see how they look with some more time Saturday.

First unit DL wasn't great, especially in nickel. Langford and Jones got destroyed on double teams on the same play, the ILBs flowed to the front of the play but the back cut back, and Trent Cole was late coming off the QB read contain to close down on the back, and next thing you know it's a 12 yard gain. Good play by the Eagles, but if we can't go 2-4 up front in long yardage situations, we're going to get stretched out across the middle in pass coverage. I don't know that there's a particular fix for this; probably a combination of adjustments that can be made in different situations.

Luck and the first team pass offense was fine, and might be more multiple than any other offense in the league. We'll see, but it would help if Fleener catches third down passes. Andre is going to be perfect for Luck. By the way, he looked that good with no Hilton or Moncrief, and no Frank Gore.

Pass defense was hit and miss. Toler is very athletic, but makes a lot of mistakes with technique and footwork. His mistake on the TD is hard to understand. D'Joun Smith and Geathers are going to be okay, I think, but they were a step slow on some plays. Colt Anderson looks good.

Henry Anderson is a football player, not a camp warrior. He knows how to beat blockers, and will be a good weakside three tech. He has his work cut out for him as a two-gapper when the play comes his way, but as he started to get worn down, he still did a good job holding the point. 

Werner is a much better Sam than Rush. Drew a holding penalty on a play his way where he had his edge just right (a play that Anderson disrupted), showed some good snap anticipation, but obviously lacks the bend and burst to finish as a pass rusher. So put him on the strongside and let him do what he's actually good it. Good move for him.

Holmes is the starting center, no question. Hope he stays upright. Thornton, his draft mate, looked good at RG, moves well, didn't really make any mistakes that I saw, and when he did get beat a little he had the raw power to make up for hit. I still think Thornton has the goods. Herremans and Louis will be fine. Mewhort was good at RT. I already said, but I'll say again, I think the line will be okay.

Lots of mistakes out there. The punt return was ridiculous -- poor tackling ruined a fantastic punt by McAfee. Lots of poor tackling. Some blown assignments in pass coverage, dropped passes, fumbles... other missed opportunities. I can live with it, but it has to get better by Saturday. I also thought there were some bad calls by the refs.

It was good to see a third QB who could make some plays. He wasn't great down the stretch, but it was kind of fun to watch him play. I wasn't shaking my head most of the time. 

Observations:

-Rookie CB D'Joun Smith left today with a concussion.

-Offensive line looked REALLY good in pass protection.

-Offensive line looked REALLY bad in run blocking (especially when Tipton was in).

-The starting defense really missed Vontae & Butler today.

-Dorsett is going to be really good. He had a ton of catches today, needs to hold onto the ball though. He did have a fumble.

-Andre had a really nice catch on 3rd down to move the chains.

-Josh Robinson has looked really good thus far!

-Matt Hasselbeck was really bad today.

-3rd string QB Bryan Bennett is FASSST.

-Bryan Bennett struggled in the 4th quarter. 3 turnovers.

-Defense struggled ALL day with tackling. A lot of missed tackles.

-Pat McAfee boomed the ball today!

-Amarlo Herrera played well today.

I am a bit worried about the run blocking but maybe that was just Tipton because robinson didn't seem to have too much trouble.  The Pass defense  will improve significantly once we get Davis and Butler back. Geathers looked alright in coverage and good against the run. He should be able to cover TE's well. Run defense was ok. We just gotta shore up our tackling and find a way to create bigger holes in the running game.

another great write up Superman... I'll be able to watch it tomorrow,but on the outdife looking in and seeing the scores.. it looks like again we were OUT Coached and ill prepared.... hope the tape shows different

LOL

:facepalm: it's the first preseason game. Get a grip

another great write up Superman... I'll be able to watch it tomorrow,but on the outdife looking in and seeing the scores.. it looks like again we were OUT Coached and ill prepared.... hope the tape shows different

Out coached? Congrats, you win the prize nobody wants.

You don't really game plan. You just work on our own things. There was lots of plays they were loaded in the box that we could of checked out of.

You don't really game plan. You just work on our own things. There was lots of plays they were loaded in the box that we could of checked out of.

Yep, in the regular season Luck will audible out when the box is loaded the way it was today. I'm not getting hung up on today's final result. I would've liked to see some better poise and accuracy out of the backup QBs, but I guess that's why they're backups.

Very true. Its hard to 'allow for' mistakes in the opening pre-season game and cite the fact that many of these players will not make the roster AND...

...still analyze what you saw with any definition....so I wont

Nobody that I saw got hurt...so it was an OK day.

If we can play 4 pre-season games and get no one injured...I'll be happy.

I think I know what we have. especially on offense..I dont need to see it in August

We will have a better look at where this team is at Saturday

We looked like crap out there. Andrew hit some wide open throws. We had solid Pass Pro, but we were playing against 2 gap scheme, so take it for what it is... We couldn't get a crease on their front with 3 missing linebackers... PATHETIC. On top of that Mcafee looked to have some really good punts where our guys were able to get out and cover his 60 yarders..

+ Andrew Luck

+ Pass Pro

+ Punting

- Pretty much everything else

The sky is still falling even after the afccg

Fleener can't catch

Pagano can't coach

Tipton is t trich 2.1

Lance Louis still can't block a linebacker on a weak side run

And carter isn't going to be the calviin johnsonesque prodigy we all thought

This team will be trash. Prepare for a 2011 repeat boys. Build the monster pfft

You do realize that the only preseason game coaches actually make a game plan for is the third one right? They don't do that for the other games.

bryan bennett was awful

I missed some of the 2nd half of the game, but to me, from what I did see, he was locked on to his primary.  He locked onto his primary target, didn't look off the safety and was picked 2 times because of it. His college stats dropped severely as a senior, 49.5% completion.  His deeper ball accuracy was and is going to be an issue with a low completion % to go with it. He didn't seem to go through progressions that well, but I'll have to play the DVR for the times I missed.  I think he would look really bad going against a #1 D, including the Jags.  He is at best a project of the major kind, and I doubt he ever becomes a good backup.  a #3 is about where he belongs.  Short dump off and game manager type.  Matt is almost 40.  His best days are long behind him too.  Father time waits for no one, but that 6th round draft pick in 1998 had a great career.  Be nice for the Colts to get him a Super Bowl ring, one he missed getting in Feb 2006. 

I wanted us to get a decent #2 for this year knowing Matt's time was pretty much up, but now I think it is a priority next.  Hope someone fairly decent drops and spend a 5th or 6th and hope we get another Hasselbeck, or better.

Well I think we might as well not play this season.

Luck couldn't even score a touchdown all day.

Gore had ZERO rushing yards. That's unacceptable.

We'll be lucky to even win a game this season.

Just sit everyone important and grab the #1 pick for next season.

Bingo. It's preseason. Yeah, there are some things you can take away from the game, but the sky is not falling. We had several starters not playing, and things are vanilla at this point just to get a "feel". Remember 06'? I think we went 0-4 or 1-3 that preseason and looked like crap for the most part. And people said we're doomed. Yawn.

Once the bell rings and it counts, this team will be more than ready to play. Don't gleem anything from preseason. 

The O-line looked good in pass protect, and crap on run plays. Maybe Gore would have done something different.

Lastly, I've been a fan since 72, and even if they're not perfect, I won't be calling for heads to roll. There's more to life than football. I'm older and somewhat wiser now. Sure, I live and breathe Colts football when they play. But in the end it doesn't define me as a person. And I have a Colts tattoo I have to explain all the time. 

Well I think we might as well not play this season.

Luck couldn't even score a touchdown all day.

Gore had ZERO rushing yards. That's unacceptable.

We'll be lucky to even win a game this season.

Just sit everyone important and grab the #1 pick for next season.

LOL. Exactly. Some of these people are funny.

I missed some of the 2nd half of the game, but to me, from what I did see, he was locked on to his primary. He locked onto his primary target, didn't look off the safety and was picked 2 times because of it. His college stats dropped severely as a senior, 49.5% completion. His deeper ball accuracy was and is going to be an issue with a low completion % to go with it. He didn't seem to go through progressions that well, but I'll have to play the DVR for the times I missed. I think he would look really bad going against a #1 D, including the Jags. He is at best a project of the major kind, and I doubt he ever becomes a good backup. a #3 is about where he belongs. Short dump off and game manager type. Matt is almost 40. His best days are long behind him too. Father time waits for no one, but that 6th round draft pick in 1998 had a great career. Be nice for the Colts to get him a Super Bowl ring, one he missed getting in Feb 2006.

I wanted us to get a decent #2 for this year knowing Matt's time was pretty much up, but now I think it is a priority next. Hope someone fairly decent drops and spend a 5th or 6th and hope we get another Hasselbeck, or better.

How unexpected a UDFA looked like an UDFA

Short and simple: Bad tackling/angles/over-pursuit. Pass protection was good ...even on the sack on Bennett. Run game just has to be respectable. Im not expecting much from it even with Gore. Just don't turn the ball over and keep the negative runs down. Robinson ran well

Cox definitely jumped offsides that play no question about it

Out coached? Congrats, you win the prize nobody wants.

The lack of coaching that concerned me wasn't X's and O's, it was really bad tackling and footwork, even from some front line players.  Of all the Pre-Season games I have seen so far, the Colts looked weakest on fundamentals of anyone.  Playing Philly and the final score isn't relevant to anything, but bad fundamentals IS relevant to how people are taking coaching.  

I thought Parry, Dorsett and Josh Robinson.  Unlike some, I didn't see the excellent play by Anderson, I will need to rewatch and focus more on him.  It's the first preseason faux game, nothing to really grab onto except the very poor fundamentals by many players throughout the entire game.  If it looks as bad next week, then a little concern might be warranted.  This film should serve as a wonderful teaching opportunity which is the entire point of pre-season (aside from being a crappy cash cow for the league).