Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

I don't like the signing either, but we can't just steal Will Hill. Not unless you want to overpay for a player who will miss an entire season the next time he fails a drug test.

I thought all we'd have to do is slightly exceed what Bmore is paying him and as long as they don't match, he's ours? I know he's a serious character risk, but I'd just bank on the hope that he has finally learned his lesson. I mean, he's gotta hold down a job to pay all those baby mamas.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all we'd have to do is slightly exceed what Bmore is paying him and as long as they don't match, he's ours? I know he's a serious character risk, but I'd just bank on the hope that he has finally learned his lesson. I mean, he's gotta hold down a job to pay all those baby mamas.

As long as they don't match... Why wouldn't they match?

You'd have to overpay him. And why would you do that, given his issues? 

They are right up against the cap as it is, I assume that's why they didn't give him a second round tender. If we offered 2m I think they'd have a hard time matching, and I'd say 2m without any guaranteed money would be a good investment. He messes up once and he's gone, no skin off our cap.

This Cleveland video always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it. LOL! It always makes me wonder how that city ever got both the NFL HOF & the Rock-N-Roll HOF. The induction ceremony is never held there in Ohio for either event which speaks volumes to me. 

Off topic on a side note: This April's Rock-N-Roll HOF induction class is gonna be a good one...Joan Jett & the Blackhearts get in along with guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn...Yes! SW1 will be writing my review of the festivities shortly after the 18th that is...

https://rockhall.com/inductees/

Regarding Lowery, just get to Colts camp & show me what you're made of Dwight. 

FYI SW1 NFL HOF is not in Cleveland, It's 60 miles south on I-77 In the small town of Canton where the NFL was born.

If you are going to bash Cleveland at least get your facts right.

They are right up against the cap as it is, I assume that's why they didn't give him a second round tender. If we offered 2m I think they'd have a hard time matching, and I'd say 2m without any guaranteed money would be a good investment. He messes up once and he's gone, no skin off our cap.

They have him on an RFA tender at $1.542m. They still have around $7m in cap space. How much are you willing to offer him? Anything less than $2.5m in 2015 and I think they'd match. And I think that's too much for a knucklehead, given the issues we've had with knuckleheads recently. Anything more than that, and I'm definitely not on board.

He probably wouldn't sign a multi-year offer sheet unless it reflects his talent level. And I don't think anyone is interested in offering him that kind of money because of his issues. He'd probably turn down two years, $5m, and instead hit free agency in 2016. 

He had a warrant out for missed child support in January. He's tested positive for substance abuse three times in the last three years. He went undrafted because of poor work ethic and character issues. He passed through waivers unclaimed in June. He's been an RFA for a month, and no one -- not even Washington -- has offered him a deal. They chose to trade for a clearly inferior talent in Goldson. I have no problem with reclamation projects under the right circumstances, but I'm not interested in trying to pry away an RFA who is also a knucklehead. 

From the Falcons Message Boards.  People who watched plenty of Falcons games.   Dem Birds

AKA DemBirdsCanFly

• photo-thumb-187463.jpg?_r=1404621043
  • Pure Football
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 18,257 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

Roddy84, on 03 Apr 2015 - 7:49 PM, said:snapback.png

i knew he wasnt great but had no idea he was ranked that low

Those rankings are garbage. Anyone that watched last year knows he's not one of the worst coverage safeties in the league. Tight ends used to kill us, he was locking them down. Even Graham struggled against him a good bit 

jeffro2000

Starting Lineup

• photo-thumb-181048.jpg?_r=1354986077
  • Forum Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

Guy was solid for us. He wasn't great, but a good player. I hope whoever is taking his place is as good as he was last yr. We have definitely seen worse safeties around here than Lowery.

Lornoth

Pro Bowler

• photo-thumb-562705.jpg?_r=1393114975
  • Pure Football
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 10,958 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:07 PM

I gave up hope on resigning him a while ago, wish we could have though. I know he's not prototypical of what Quinn likes, but he was great for us last year. 

Oh well though, wish him the best as a Colt.

I think I'm just going to wait and see what I see when the pads get put on.   I trust what the Falcons fans had to say about him. I've never been a fan of all that PFF stuff.  Sorry I'm old school, and the thing is Old School never goes out of style completely. It always has value at the right moments.

This guy will be money for us.  Don't worry, he'll get better with a better organization (which we are).  ATL is about as good as Tom Crean is at coaching defensive Xs & Os in collegiate basketball.  Or as about as good as the Kentucky Wildcats are at sportmanship. 

I think I'm just going to wait and see what I see when the pads get put on.   I trust what the Falcons fans had to say about him. I've never been a fan of all that PFF stuff.  Sorry I'm old school, and the thing is Old School never goes out of style completely. It always has value at the right moments.

Yeah, what you posted is pretty much what I've read about him.  Solid player, the fans liked him, no one said he was a star and his weaknesses are noted.  If he's used right, he's going to be valuable for us.

I also put no faith in pure stats.  It cracks me up that people are bashing him without ever seeing him based on PFF numbers. 

I'd still like to know what they gave him, contract wise. 

If we don't draft a safety in the first round, do you really think anyone we do draft will beat out Lowery? 

Stranger things have happened, but I can't see it.

I agree, I think he's starting in Grigson's mind.

I think if Collins isn't available at #29 (which he most likely won't be) then we snag Jaquiski Tartt or Cody Prewitt in the 2nd and those are the only other two I could see pushing to start. Some people are high on Clayton Geathers, but I don't know about that. 

I agree, I think he's starting in Grigson's mind.

I think if Collins isn't available at #29 (which he most likely won't be) then we snag Jaquiski Tartt or Cody Prewitt in the 2nd and those are the only other two I could see pushing to start. Some people are high on Clayton Geathers, but I don't know about that. 

I like the size of all three of those guys, Prewitt obviously has faced the best competition.  Not exactly a stellar group after Collins though. 

I wouldn't mind trading up for him, it would solidify that spot for years to come.

Thank You, whoever posted that Bethea sucked in Indy is a complete *!!!

He definitely did not suck, in Indy or San Fran. When it comes to over-the-top-safety-help in a secondary, he's one of the best in the league. His best strengths were clean, deliberate tackling, and limiting YAC. That's what you want in a cover-2 safety. I never liked seeing him go 1-on-1 in man coverage, as I thought that was a weakness of his. But I think we can all agree with that he's a good, if not great safety.

I hope I'm right about us getting a safety early in the draft. At this point I don't care if we did burn a 1st for Landon Collins, at least Grigson will have finally made a commitment to defense. I can't imagine why anyone would think Dwight Lowery as a starting safety sounds good.

If It looks like this is his "answer" to the safety issue and not just a depth signing, I'm going to have some issues.

It's looks good if the front 7 gets taken care of. Your secondary looks better with a dominant front 7

Thus why the Texans are a top 10 defense almost every year since having JJ

Swearinger is garbage, but looks decent at times due to the front 7 with a healthy Cushing, Watt, and others

Take care of the trenches, everything else falls into place

It's looks good if the front 7 gets taken care of. Your secondary looks better with a dominant front 7

Thus why the Texans are a top 10 defense almost every year since having JJ

Swearinger is garbage, but looks decent at times due to the front 7 with a healthy Cushing, Watt, and others

Take care of the trenches, everything else falls into place

To an extent... I think the days of a dominant D and strong running game (signs of strong lines) taking you all they way on a consistent basis are dead. If you don't at the least have competent QB under centre then you are going to struggle to compete with the decent teams who do. A decent/elite QB can also hide the deficiencies of a bad O Line. 

Interestingly I think there are fewer and fewer teams these days who have an elite dominating O line, certainly not to the scale of the hey day of dynasty teams. Dallas at the moment might be the closest thing but even they aren't exactly lacking at QB. 

That's not to say the trenches aren't still a vitally important part of the game.

I don't know anything about Lowery. Personally, I think we are playing with fire on the Safety position. Adams was re-signed and as long as he plays like he did last year we'll be OK there. There are no guarantees he will have another season like he did last year, he's  beyond his prime. I hope he does tho, for our sake. With Lowery, it sounds like there aren't many people impressed with his play so far in the NFL. I'm willing to give him a chance but I think the team needs to invest in some youth at Safety in this upcoming draft. Safety looks to me to still be one of the top 3 needs if not the biggest need area.

I don't know anything about Lowery. Personally, I think we are playing with fire on the Safety position. Adams was re-signed and as long as he plays like he did last year we'll be OK there. There are no guarantees he will have another season like he did last year, he's  beyond his prime. I hope he does tho, for our sake. With Lowery, it sounds like there aren't many people impressed with his play so far in the NFL. I'm willing to give him a chance but I think the team needs to invest in some youth at Safety in this upcoming draft. Safety looks to me to still be one of the top 3 needs if not the biggest need area.

The problem with that is this is the weakest draft at the safety position for a very long time.... Outside of Collins, there really isn't a safety worth spending a high pick on in the hopes that they can come in and start straight away. We need to hope that:

A) Adams plays as well as he did last season

B) No injury bug

C) Lowery or McDonald surprise a lot of people and play at a high level as well.

D) Our trenches don't get pushed around again, magnifying the importance of the safety position.

A lot of hoping there...

To an extent... I think the days of a dominant D and strong running game (signs of strong lines) taking you all they way on a consistent basis are dead. If you don't at the least have competent QB under centre then you are going to struggle to compete with the decent teams who do. A decent/elite QB can also hide the deficiencies of a bad O Line.

Interestingly I think there are fewer and fewer teams these days who have an elite dominating O line, certainly not to the scale of the hey day of dynasty teams. Dallas at the moment might be the closest thing but even they aren't exactly lacking at QB.

That's not to say the trenches aren't still a vitally important part of the game.

We have A QB..... build the trenches to help that soon to be elite qb

The key to "consistent" winning Super Bowl organizations is balance. (Like I have to tell anyone this) All three phases of NFL football fall into play. From the owner down to the fans. Let's take a look at the decades from the Super Bowl Era ...

1. 1960s - Green Bay Packers

2. 1970s - Pittsburgh Steelers

3. 1980s - San Francisco 49ers

4. 1990s - Dallas Cowboys

5. 2000s - New England Patriots

"How" many Super Bowl victories do we see? Balance, in "all" of it's forms dictates power and "consistency". It's just that simple. Trying to achieve said balance through building blocks (draft, FAs, trades, p-squads, coaches, GMs, and owner versatility wanting to win) are the recipe for "consistency". Do "that" along with understanding schematics and you've got something. Championships. Longevity. The image to win. Put all of these in blending year in and year out and you see the above end goal results.

To everyone complaining about Lowery, check out his contract:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/dwight-lowery/

Dwight Lowery signed a 1 year, $950,000 contract with the Indianapolis Colts, including a $80,000 signing bonus, $80,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $950,000. In 2015, Lowery will earn a base salary of $870,000 and a signing bonus of $80,000. Lowery has a cap hit of $665,000 while his dead money value is $80,000.

$1 for every yard he's going to surrender in coverage. 

Maybe, maybe not but at least on that sort of money he's not guaranteed to be the starter?  :dunno:

Problem being I can't see anyone better coming in via the draft or FA... But hey ho, it's April things may well look very different come August. 

He'll have competition for the starting position from a draft pick. I can see him starting for the season. Give him better players around him and an offense that can keep the D off the field, I think he'll do fine. 

Though a position of need we might not draft one... just thinking, it's weak class and if you truly go BPA then S might not ever come up. But guessing at the team's draft strategy is a exercise in futility. 

Though a position of need we might not draft one... just thinking, it's weak class and if you truly go BPA then S might not ever come up. But guessing at the team's draft strategy is a exercise in futility. 

Yeah I gave up predicting Grigson's draft moves a long time ago.