Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

I dont understand the hate on this signing, unless it was a massive deal. Likely a short term, low salary deal...Lowery will come into camp and compete with Winston Guy and Dewey McDonald for the starting job. We will likely still draft a safety at some point in the draft, maybe first round. Lowery likely wont be an impact starter. He might not even be the starter, or even make the roster. But he gives us a stable veteran presence at the position...and thats what we needed.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a decent SS, forced into action last year. 85 Tackles, 2 INT's. Will fill the Sergio Brown spot nicely as a vet S, that can come off the bench as a 3rd S. Good signing to me, as I assume it will be 1M or less for the year.

If you have to say forced into action.. then that's a bad thing.

I like the Gore, AJ, Cole, Irving, and Herremans signings. I think all those guys will contribute greatly (I think Irving can win a starting spot). Langford I'm 'meh' on. I think he's a lateral move from RJF and a downgrade from Redding. Don't like the Lowery signing at all, especially if he's starting. 

I still don't know if you're basing your Lowery opinion on those PFF stats or actually seeing him play.   I looked at the stats you posted and he still has a positive grade.  Most of what I've read about him on the Falcons blogs describe him as a solid capable player.  

It's not like anyone expects him to be the second coming of Bob Sanders, but from what I've read it sounds like we finally have an experienced safety to play along side Adams. 

Just so many years of bargain bin players with our cap is getting kinda old playmakers cost money I'd rather get less players but better talent atleast then we could give Vontae some help

And I understand a few stop gaps on teams too but man we got old guys all over our D and starting too sorry if I'm a little worried

Your post hit a nerve with me....the D'Quell Jackson nerve. Why sign an old ILB who is barely adquate in run stopping and extremely poor covering the middle in pass coverage to a multi-year contract?

There was plenty of NFL film on D'Quell (and TRich for that matter). Their shortcomings seem glaring. Who scouts pro player personnel for us? Fire their butts and replace them.

I still don't know if you're basing your Lowery opinion on those PFF stats or actually seeing him play.   I looked at the stats you posted and he still has a positive grade.  Most of what I've read about him on the Falcons blogs describe him as a solid capable player.  

It's not like anyone expects him to be the second coming of Bob Sanders, but from what I've read it sounds like we finally have an experienced safety to play along side Adams. 

Is this the same Bob Sanders who played about 20% of his available games, yet Booger gets on the 'worst trade ever' thread, because of his lack of playing time?

I'm glad I'm a Brit and easily confused by this 'American' game.....

It is obvious that Dustin picked the wrong battle here. He took a chance and he was wrong. What is sad is watching how many other people jumped on his bandwagon to run Lowery out of here.

I went to the Falcons board and several fans (most) were sad to see Lowery go. They confirmed what type of player I believe he is. I just finished watching all of the Falcons defensive plays against the Saints (week 16), and Lowery is very solid in coverage, plus he dropped Brees for a sack. He is not a big safety, and actually looks more fluid, like a corner. The Falcons used him all over the field and on the line of scrimmage. He is versatile, and I think he could be a really good fit for us.

I cannot help but think back when we signed Adams, and a lot of people on this board were saying the same things about him too. 

Let Pagano get his hands on Lowery and the DB whisperer will improve his game even more. 

I like the Gore, AJ, Cole, Irving, and Herremans signings. I think all those guys will contribute greatly (I think Irving can win a starting spot). Langford I'm 'meh' on. I think he's a lateral move from RJF and a downgrade from Redding. Don't like the Lowery signing at all, especially if he's starting.

Could be great depth like Sergio except Sergio was more expensive!

Let's just wait and see how the draft goes before you explode the forum with your Lowrey Hate! haha

Is this the same Bob Sanders who played about 20% of his available games, yet Booger gets on the 'worst trade ever' thread, because of his lack of playing time?

I'm glad I'm a Brit and easily confused by this 'American' game.....

You fit right in with most fans.  Both Booger and Bob were vital to our SB year, there's no denying that.

Fans are always going to find a reason to complain.  It's one reason why 'fan' is short for 'fanatic'.  

Just my opinion, but I don't think we will draft a safety until the 4th round.

Just my opinion, but I don' think a safety will be drafted until the 4th round. This is the way

I think the draft will go.

1st ILB who can cover a TE.

2nd RB

3rd NT

4th Safety. (if Grigs doesn't think a safety is good enough in this round, I think it will be a CB

or offensive lineman).

Again, this is just my opinion, so don't jump all over me.

2nd RB

3rd NT

4th Safety

He's not a depth signing. He's going to start. 

First of all, it is only April, so we do not know who will start at safety in September.

And why would it be a bad thing for Lowery to start? I have no problem with him playing single high or lining up in man against TE's and bigger receivers. Lowery's only flaw is covering quicker, shifty, and usually smaller receivers. That is why Lowery is not a corner, and we already have a guy who does that. His name is Butler.

There is no issue with Lowery playing free safety for us.

I'm watching his game against the Saints right now, and I don't think I've ever seen a player get manipulated by a QB eyes such as I'm seeing right now. 

My solution to the starting safety issue???  Watch one of my favorite videos... a Dewey McDonald highlight video. You can't be anything but impressed despite the level of competition. A man among boys. He is a heat seeking missle and he hits hard with attitude. And that dropped pass on the faked punt? An aberration. He does not have hands of stone. 

It's better w/o the sound. You may have to cut and paste the URL:  

That's the problems with the colts roster....it's full of solid capable players.....and a few older players you are hoping can play another yr or two.

I'm watching his game against the Saints right now, and I don't think I've ever seen a player get manipulated by a QB eyes such as I'm seeing right now.

Is that the game the Falcons won 30-14? Here's an excerpt fron the game summary:

"Dwight Lowery has been solid all season, and he was phenomenal in this one. His five tackles, sack and forced fumble were instrumental in this one, and he was a key cog for the effective defensive effort."

Dustin, are you really being objective?

That's the problems with the colts roster....it's full of solid capable players.....and a few older players you are hoping can play another yr or two.

The only problems I see on our roster are center, future right guard, right tackle, and nose tackle.

I feel very comfortable about the rest of it. 

Is that the game the Falcons won 30-14? Here's an excerpt fron the game summary:

"Dwight Lowery has been solid all season, and he was phenomenal in this one. His five tackles, sack and forced fumble were instrumental in this one, and he was a key cog for the effective defensive effort."

Dustin is not objective about this. He dug in his heels, and for whatever reason will not see any other point of view. He stopped responding to my posts.

Sometimes people are just too scared to admit when they are wrong. While the person believes it is perceived as a weakness, properly changing your point of view (when it is justified) is actually viewed as a strength.

Why wouldn't I be being objective? Do you think I have something personal against Dwight Lowery? 

I can find 100 blog posts that tell me D'Qwell Jackson played well last season too. 

The only problems I see on our roster are center, future right guard, right tackle, and defensive tackle.

I feel very comfortable about the rest of it.

There aren't any glaring problems, but a roster full of "capable" players doesn't tend to win Super Bowls. This team needs difference makers....especially on defense.

Why wouldn't I be being objective? Do you think I have something personal against Dwight Lowery? 

I can find 100 blog posts that tell me D'Qwell Jackson played well last season too.

Well, when you're saying he was bad in a game, while the Falcons SBNation site said he was the MVP of the same game, I can't help but wonder.

I admit to not watching him play so I'm reading as much as I can about him. Everything I've read says he's decent. Not a star, but he seems to improve each year and was well respected by Falcon fans.

Like I said, I'll reserve judgement until I see him play. You seem to be intent on proving he's a bad player for some reason.

Said it once & i'll say it again, Colts should take a hard look at Gerod Holliman. Louisville plays a hybrid 3-4 defense. He's got experience in this kind of system already & is a ball hawk. He's got really good ball skills. And honestly the Colts have never really had a DB that can pick 6 consistantly. I think Holliman could be a poor man Ed Reed.

I do think Lowery can be a good player here though. No one thought Adams could play like that last season. Lowery is a vet who has spent the majority of his career in 3-4 schemes. Though he may not be a name, who could probably do his job well enough to help this team more than hurt it.

Said it once & i'll say it again, Colts should take a hard look at Gerod Holliman. Louisville plays a hybrid 3-4 defense. He's got experience in this kind of system already & is a ball hawk. He's got really good ball skills. And honestly the Colts have never really had a DB that can pick 6 consistantly. I think Holliman could be a poor man Ed Reed.

Nor have we ever had a safety that couldn't tackle to save his life.

Holliman is awful and tackles like he has butter on his hands a safety that can't do the basics has no business being on an NFL roster he's overrated by too many people

Holliman is awful and tackles like he has butter on his hands a safety that can't do the basics has no business being on an NFL roster he's overrated by too many people

Teams want cover safeties now over hitters. He's a 3-4th round guy & a real sleeper for me. He has football instincts, very young still w/ room to grow. But have your opinion.

Well, when you're saying he was bad in a game, while the Falcons SBNation site said he was the MVP of the same game, I can't help but wonder.

He had an unblocked sack for a fumble. That and a nice tackle short of the sticks on Jimmy Graham were pretty much the only plays that stood out. Brees was looking him off and putting him out of position all game.

He had an unblocked sack for a fumble. That and a nice tackle short of the sticks on Jimmy Graham were pretty much the only plays that stood out. Brees was looking him off and putting him out of position all game.

He might have a little more success against Bortles, Mettenberger, and Hoyer right. Hoping for 6 good games at least! Like it or not, hes here now though. And he will probably start.

Teams want cover safeties now over hitters. He's a 3-4th round guy & a real sleeper for me. He has football instincts, very young still w/ room to grow. But have your opinion.

as well as you have your opinion but i believe teams especially the colts want versatility in their safeties a guy who can help in all areas but i've got no ill will towards the guy just don't like what i've seen on tape but if we do go for him perhaps he can learn to tackle better and become that poor man's ed reed,i wouldn't complain.

Doesn't have anything to do with being a hitter. He just out right refuses to tackle. 

He might have a little more success against Bortles, Mettenberger, and Hoyer right. Hoping for 6 good games at least! Like it or not, hes here now though. And he will probably start.

that's a terrifying list of QB's there  lmaorotflmao:jump:   Bortles is the only one i think could develop into a threat

Brees threw for one TD and two INTs, obviously was not having a career day. This is the game you're basing your opinion that Lowery is a bad safety? Wow, talk about a discrepancy. Here's what the Falcons writer said:

"Game MVP: Give this one up to the defense, specifically Dwight Lowery, who had some key tackles, nice coverage, a sack and a forced fumble in a big game."

If that's what's considered a bad player, give me more of them. Dustin, I'll respect your opinion and thanks for the research and sharing, but I'm going to reserve mine until I see him play.