Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

As long as we draft a safety in the first 3 rounds, and nobody gets hurt, Lowery's going to end being a backup. All of the following 2nd/3rd round type guys would be better options than him. Tartt, Rowe, Jones, Smith, Harris, Prewitt, Amos, Randle, and even Holliman. And maybe even Drummond, Celiscar, Geathers, or Sample. We can get one of those guys no doubt. I'm hoping for one of Tartt or Jones. Lowery just straight up sucks.

Jesus, half those "better option than Lowery" guys won't be in the NFL in 3 years.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we draft a safety in the first 3 rounds, and nobody gets hurt, Lowery's going to end being a backup. All of the following 2nd/3rd round type guys would be better options than him. Tartt, Rowe, Jones, Smith, Harris, Prewitt, Amos, Randle, and even Holliman. And maybe even Drummond, Celiscar, Geathers, or Sample. We can get one of those guys no doubt. I'm hoping for one of Tartt or Jones. Lowery just straight up sucks.

How many people said the same thing about Adams after we signed him last season?

How many people said the same thing about Adams after we signed him last season?

A few, but its a different situation. Adams had had several pretty good years before we signed him. He was just getting older. Lowery's never been good at all other than 1 year, which I think was his rookie season.

I wonder how many people thought the Zibikowski signing was good, or the Trich trade... Or the Landry signing.

Yeah. Just think if people waited until the player actually played a down for the Colts before sticking him with a pitchfork or hailing him as the King.

What a world that would be, huh?

A few, but its a different situation. Adams had had several pretty good years before we signed him. He was just getting older. Lowery's never been good at all other than 1 year, which I think was his rookie season.

As I recall, it was much more than just a few. People said Adams was over the hill, and what are we thinking. He is camp fodder.

Why don't we just let the players play a few games before crowning them or condemning them?

LOL. That's how low my opinion of Lowery is as a starter.

I doubt you've ever even watched Lowery play, tbh.

False.

LOL. That's how low my opinion of Lowery is as a starter.

It's funny how the 'unknown' (rookie draft picks who never played a down in the NFL) are assumed to be better than a veteran.  I really don't think a 2nd or later pick in this years draft is going to come in and start.

And again you're following suit bringing up his SF time. He was BOO BOO in his last year here getting burnt and all. He stunk

Huh ?

Whoopty doo, a SB he had nothing to do with

Sanders outshines him

06  Antoine Bethea   played in 14 games was  our third best defender  only Cato June & Gary Brackett had more tackles in & he was a 07 Probowler for the Colts .

He was a part of the worst defense to ever win a Superbowl we had Sanders in 4 games that season . In a foot note where are they now .

Antoine Bethea was a 2014 Probowler in San Fran  was he not ?  I'd say Bethea 's shine is still shining .

I understand your opinion has no basis in fact as I'm sure you do there is nothing wrong in being wrong . :thmup:  Unless you chose to repeat it .

I 'll repeat myself you are sadly mistaken  in 2006 Bethea was 3 'rd best on defense Sanders was barely available ..

Your opinion is duely noted & as impressive as T-Richs Colts career consider your self waived .

I doubt you've ever even watched Lowery play, tbh.

False.

I probably watch a lot more NFL than you do. 3 games every Sunday along with every single Monday and Thursday game. And plus I'm judging him by how he graded out as well. The fact is, he sucks. Cant really argue that he don't. And I had rather take a chance on a rookie who at least has a chance to be good than somebody who we already know is a bum. And how is it false that Adams had a couple good years with other teams before we signed him?  I don't get that one. He has obviously had better seasons than Lowery every has.

I probably watch a lot more NFL than you do. 3 games every Sunday along with every single Monday and Thursday game. And plus I'm judging him by how he graded out as well. The fact is, he sucks. Cant really argue that he don't. And I had rather take a chance on a rookie who at least has a chance to be good than somebody who we already know is a bum. And how is it false that Adams had a couple good years with other teams before we signed him?  I don't get that one. He has obviously had better seasons than Lowery every has.

lmao. Is that a fact? According to PFF, he's graded positively every year of his career with 2012 being his best. That would imply he's far from the scrub you claim.

I think many of us on this board watch at least 3 games on Sunday's plus MNF and TNF. What does that have to do with having watched Lowery specifically?

In regards to my "false" comment, it was in regards to the bolded:

That's just horse % hyperbole.

lmao. Is that a fact?

I think many of us on this board watch at least 3 games on Sunday's plus MNF and TNF. What does that have to do with having watched Lowery specifically?

In regards to my "false" comment, it was in regards to the bolded:

That's just horse % hyperbole.

LOL. Dude I don't know. I'm still trying to calm down from my team losing (UK). That comment was like 2 minutes after the game ended.

For some reason, NFL decision makers prefer to start bad players over unknown players. See how long it took Boom Herron to steal carries from Trent Richardson even though conventional wisdom told you you could pick any RB off of the street and he'd be more effective? 

Nah, Boom was fumbling. That's why he didn't get more touches. Someone else could have taken Richardson's spot, but Boom made it hard to trust him.

And I don't think there's anything about Dewey McDonald that should make us think he will be a good player on defense. He played at a D2 school that most of us hadn't heard of before he signed with us. Very athletic, good size, but projecting him as a starter isn't any better than starting Lowery. And I'm not a Lowery fan at all.

Nah, Boom was fumbling. That's why he didn't get more touches. Someone else could have taken Richardson's spot, but Boom made it hard to trust him.

And I don't think there's anything about Dewey McDonald that should make us think he will be a good player on defense. He played at a D2 school that most of us hadn't heard of before he signed with us. Very athletic, good size, but projecting him as a starter isn't any better than starting Lowery. And I'm not a Lowery fan at all.

Boom didn't even touch the ball until like week 9.

I hope I'm right about us getting a safety early in the draft. At this point I don't care if we did burn a 1st for Landon Collins, at least Grigson will have finally made a commitment to defense. I can't imagine why anyone would think  Dwight Lowery as a starting safety sounds good.

If It looks like this is his "answer" to the safety issue and not just a depth signing, I'm going to have some issues.

He was meh his last year in Indy. I don't think anyone here thinks he was bad his whole career.

Agreed.

And now back to the topic at hand: any Falcon watchers who can give us first hand info on him? Seems to be well liked, a decent player. But not enough that they wanted him back.

I think its funny how the criticism of Lowery is nearly identical to the criticism of when Mike Adams was signed.

I hope it ends up working out about the same too.

Most of the negative crowd likely hasn't even seen Lowery (or Adams at the time) play outside of peripherally a few times.

I think its funny how the criticism of Lowery is nearly identical to the criticism of when Mike Adams was signed.

I hope it ends up working out about the same too.

I really don't remember much criticism of Adams, most people just felt he was getting too old. Adams has always been a solid safety, and last year was his best year as a pro, at the age of 33. Most guys don't all of a sudden go from above average to borderline elite once they hit 33. Dwight Lowery on the other hand, has graded out poorly, and based on the numbers that have been provided, has been routinely torched in coverage. You don't need to have studied his tape to know that he has been largely ineffective in this league. Numbers lie at times, but not often when it comes to coverage grades. I hope he has a Mike Adams-like year, but I am not optimistic about it.

Some of the people here think Grigson is a super genius who does no wrong. I think they overrate him because he's picked a few solid mid round players and brought in a respectable player from Canada. Me personally, I like his college scouting and willingness to gamble on potential steals from the CFL/college basketball players/rugby players,  but I am not very big on some of his pro scouting/FA decisions.

I really don't remember much criticism of Adams, most people just felt he was getting too old. Adams has always been a solid safety, and last year was his best year as a pro, at the age of 33. Most guys don't all of a sudden go from above average to borderline elite once they hit 33. Dwight Lowery on the other hand, has graded out poorly, and based on the numbers that have been provided, has been routinely torched in coverage. You don't need to have studied his tape to know that he has been largely ineffective in this league. Numbers lie at times, but not often when it comes to coverage grades. I hope he has a Mike Adams-like year, but I am not optimistic about it.

Some of the people here think Grigson is a super genius who does no wrong. I think they overrate him because he's picked a few solid mid round players and brought in a respectable player from Canada. Me personally, I like his college scouting and willingness to gamble on potential steals from the CFL/college basketball players/rugby players, but I am not very big on some of his pro scouting/FA decisions.

Lowery "graded out poorly" according to who/what? He's never had a negative overall rating for a season, according to PFF. 2012, his last season prior to 2014 (injured 2013), before joining the Falcons, he was a very respectable +7.1 overall, better than any Colt safety other than Adams in the past ~5 years.

Lowery "graded out poorly" according to who/what? He's never had a negative overall rating for a season, according to PFF. 2012, his last season prior to 2014 (injured 2013), before joining the Falcons, he was a very respectable +7.1 overall, better than any Colt safety other than Adams in the past ~5 years.

I only skimmed the thread so I must have missed that, but I do know the numbers that Dustin posted and they do not support the PFF grade. As many like to point out, PFF is not the be all end all in football analytics. They had him at +1.1 this last year, and yet he gave up more yards than all three of our safeties combined. I do not like this signing, especially when we could just steal Will Hill from the Ravens.

I only skimmed the thread so I must have missed that, but I do know the numbers that Dustin posted and they do not support the PFF grade. As many like to point out, PFF is not the be all end all in football analytics. They had him at +1.1 this last year, and yet he gave up more yards than all three of our safeties combined. I do not like this signing, especially when we could just steal Will Hill from the Ravens.

Last year he had a -3.6 in coverage, +2.3 run, and +1.4 in penalty

So you haven't seen him play, you're judging him based on this thread, you don't trust PFF, but that's where Dustin got the data.

Sounds reasonable.

they do have a river that catches on fire in Cleveland...

This Cleveland video always makes me laugh no matter how many times I see it. LOL! It always makes me wonder how that city ever got both the NFL HOF & the Rock-N-Roll HOF. The induction ceremony is never held there in Ohio for either event which speaks volumes to me. 

Off topic on a side note: This April's Rock-N-Roll HOF induction class is gonna be a good one...Joan Jett & the Blackhearts get in along with guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn...Yes! SW1 will be writing my review of the festivities shortly after the 18th that is...

https://rockhall.com/inductees/

Regarding Lowery, just get to Colts camp & show me what you're made of Dwight. 

So you haven't seen him play, you're judging him based on this thread, you don't trust PFF, but that's where Dustin got the data.

Sounds reasonable.

I've seen him play, but it's not like I'm sitting there charting how many times he gets beat in coverage. I am not a scout. My judgement for him is largely based on this thread and the fact that he gave up the most yards among safeties in the entire league last year. Maybe it's just me, but I like my safeties to not lead the league in yards given up. I actually trust PFF more than most, but people always use the 'PFF sucks' line whenever someone brings them up. This would be one instance where I do not trust PFF's overall grade, although they did grade him negatively in coverage. I guess on the bright side we picked up a serviceable run defender.

I do not like this signing, especially when we could just steal Will Hill from the Ravens.

I don't like the signing either, but we can't just steal Will Hill. Not unless you want to overpay for a player who will miss an entire season the next time he fails a drug test.