Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signing a bad saftey in the 3rd wave of free agency to a likely vet min contract is definitely an aggressive move on Grigson's part.

It's aggressive because what Lowery lacks in covering quick twitch WR's all over the field, he makes up for with his ability to cover bigger receivers and TE's.

In other words, he is the opposite of Landry.

Any highlights of him stopping big name tight ends???? cant find any game video of him playing.....

He held his own against Jimmy Graham. I did watch the game, but I don't have video to share. If you have game rewind then you can watch the game.

Well.....Im just gonna hope 1 of 3 things happens:

1.He plays well above what my expectations are.....85 tackles, 1 sack, 4.2 passes defensed, 1 int....His career averages per season

2.Dewey makes a huge leap this year

3.Cody Prewitt becomes a Colt

Just so many years of bargain bin players with our cap is getting kinda old playmakers cost money I'd rather get less players but better talent atleast then we could give Vontae some help

And I understand a few stop gaps on teams too but man we got old guys all over our D and starting too sorry if I'm a little worried

No....Bethea won a Super Bowl while he was here.

Zibikowski and Landry sucked.

excuse me??? BOB SANDERS and Bethea won us a super bowl  and mostly because Bob was tearing it up all over the field i feel that whole post season would of gone VERY differently if he didn't come back in time and a certain catch wasn't made by a man named Marlin Jackson 

Well this reporter liked Lowery...

and quite a few positive comments are posted as well.

Dwight Lowery providing stability to defensive backfield

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/12/25/7440555/dwight-lowery-providing-stability-to-defensive-backfield

The more I read about him, the more I like the signing. People can get wrapped up in stats, some never even see the player, only read box scores. I prefer to read about performance, if you know what I mean.

He may not be a superstar, and we may draft another safety. But I'm a lot more comfortable with the position now.

excuse me??? BOB SANDERS and Bethea won us a super bowl and mostly because Bob was tearing it up all over the field i feel that whole post season would of gone VERY differently if he didn't come back in time and a certain catch wasn't made by a man named Marlin Jackson

Complimenting Bethea does not negate anything Bob Sanders did. It's a team sport and Bethea was a vital part of that defense. Should I list every player just to cover my bases?

Visanthe Shiancoe

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Wk-5-Anatomy-Dwight-Lowerys-Interception/b1e6f022-2028-457b-9695-d38f31e998c5

Game winning interception against Favre. Mayock breaks it down.

Thanks....but i was more thinking of last season, sure when hes in his 3rd year he did alright but the tight end position is played alot different now. im not sold until i see some production...like most of the signings

The more I read about him, the more I like the signing. People can get wrapped up in stats, some never even see the player, only read box scores. I prefer to read about performance, if you know what I mean.

He may not be a superstar, and we may draft another safety. But I'm a lot more comfortable with the position now.

I agree. He is what he is. He is a free safety who is not going to lead the league in tackles, and he is not fast enough to cover the TY's of the NFL one-on-one. That is why he is a safety. But he is a very good cover guy against bigger receivers and TE's. One of our biggest weaknesses is the ability to cover TE's. Signing Lowery is a good move for us, because he fills a need. This move could potentially replace Vonte as our only option to stop Gronk and other TE's who have killed us.

Thanks....but i was more thinking of last season, sure when hes in his 3rd year he did alright but the tight end position is played alot different now. im not sold until i see some production...like most of the signings

He has done well covering TE's his entire career. I do have the ability to make the needed video's, but it is a long process, and I just don't have that kind of time right now.

He is what he is, and it is a good signing for us.

Complicating Bethea does not negate anything Bob Sanders did. It's a team sport and Bethea was a vital part of that defense. Should I list every player just to cover my bases?

i mean we could I'm bored got a couple hours to kill looking back i did misinterpret your original post as bethea won us a superbowl instead of won a super bowl my apologies to you :hat:

The comments in response to that article were almost completely glowing about Lowery.

Well this reporter liked Lowery...

and quite a few positive comments are posted as well.

Dwight Lowery providing stability to defensive backfield

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/12/25/7440555/dwight-lowery-providing-stability-to-defensive-backfield

The author of this article, Andrew Hirsh, isn't exactly blowing me away singing Dwight Lowery's praises here: 

"An important truth can be gleaned here: while Lowery hasn't been spectacular, he's been relatively consistent. That's more than could be said about his predecessor... Lowery has been objectively better than the man he replaced by a significant margin. Shocking, I know...True, Lowery is not an ideal starter. But he provides crucial stability that may otherwise not exist. For this, he should be commended." 

Not spectacular...Not an ideal starter...Better than the guy ahead of him at the same position...Now to me, Mr. Hirsh is saying Lowery's nothing to write home about just a guy who will hold down the fort but won't astonish you. The equivalent of darning with faint praise. Translation: A nice way of saying Dwight will stop the bleeding but won't save your bacon in critical situations. 

I wish I had never read this article now because it doesn't boost my confidence in Lowery at all. Sigh...I'm at a impasse now; I have no idea what to believe now. 

Saying you're better than your predecessor can simply mean everybody at the safety spot positively sucked & you look like a HOF player by mere comparison. That doesn't mean Dwight is good it may just mean your competition pool is beyond pathetic. 

He has done well covering TE's his entire career. I do have the ability to make the needed video's, but it is a long process, and I just don't have that kind of time right now.

He is what he is, and it is a good signing for us.

ill take your word for it. i have no expectations for him though...any production will be welcomed.

if Kam Chancelor is a 10 with covering TE's, Landry was a 0....where would lowery fit in?

i mean we could I'm bored got a couple hours to kill looking back i did misinterpret your original post as bethea won us a superbowl instead of won a super bowl my apologies to you :hat:

No need for apologies. We're all Colts fans and probably care more a little more than we should....

By the way, Bob Sanders was a beast!

ill take your word for it. i have no expectations for him though...any production will be welcomed.

if Kam Chancelor is a 10 with covering TE's, Landry was a 0....where would lowery fit in?

Tough question. I would say a 7 or 8, which is better than any safety we have had on the Colts roster in a very long time.

He is not extremely fast, but he is not slow either. I just watched some Falcons games from last year (Game Rewind), and Lowery seems to almost always be in a good position to make a play. He is certainly not the last one to the ball. I noticed in the few games I have watched that the Falcons would occasionally play him at the line of scrimmage against bigger receivers and TE's, and he handled himself extremely well. The Falcons played a lot of zone last season, so there were times he would line up on the line and then release the TE and hit the flat. It will be interesting to see him in our defense, where he will play some man-to-man against bigger receivers and TE's. From what I have seen of last years tape he still has the ability to be successful. I believe he will be a good fit for what we do.

Calm down, and let's just roll with it. It's Easter after all.

So just munch on a chocolate, Reeses Peanut Butter bunny & chill eh? LOL! Good advice BHC. Let's see what Dwight looks like in Colts training camp. 

For you, I will do that & give Lowery a shot to earn his place in INDY man. I can't really crucify him right after Good Friday now can I? Alright. Alright. Point taken: Exercise Patience. 

Don't worry about it. He's good depth. We'll draft a safety in the first 3 rounds who'll beat him out.

Yeah, maybe, but maybe not. The way I see it, and if Grigson holds true to his philosophies, we're going to go primarily best player available. I personally think this safety class isn't too shabby, but there are many more positions with better depth this year. That to me means getting a safety early could mean reaching past some high quality, high value players at other positions. There are some exceptions, of course. There are a few safeties that could "fall" to us at our first or second round picks that would prove to be quite worth it, but those are the guys I doubt make it to us. Moves like this one, in my opinion, show that Grigson is smartly adding depth at all positions now so that we can afford to hunt talent and not needs when the draft rolls around.

It appears that many on here think that the Indianapolis Colts have a magic pot of Salay Cap gold which has no limit.

If we don't have pro-bowl talent at every position by the time pre-season starts, I'm off to support the Jaguars.

31 teams with equal financial restraints should not be an inhibitor. And every single player all have Indy as their first and only choice. And for good measure, all players currently under contracts with other teams should be allowed to walk away from those obligations if they want to join us.Fire Grigson.

The author of this article, Andrew Hirsh, isn't exactly blowing me away singing Dwight Lowery's praises here: 

"An important truth can be gleaned here: while Lowery hasn't been spectacular, he's been relatively consistent. That's more than could be said about his predecessor... Lowery has been objectively better than the man he replaced by a significant margin. Shocking, I know...True, Lowery is not an ideal starter. But he provides crucial stability that may otherwise not exist. For this, he should be commended." 

Not spectacular...Not an ideal starter...Better than the guy ahead of him at the same position...Now to me, Mr. Hirsh is saying Lowery's nothing to write home about just a guy who will hold down the fort but won't astonish you. The equivalent of darning with faint praise. Translation: A nice way of saying Dwight will stop the bleeding but won't save your bacon in critical situations. 

I wish I had never read this article now because it doesn't boost my confidence in Lowery at all. Sigh...I'm at a impasse now; I have no idea what to believe now. 

Saying you're better than your predecessor can simply mean everybody at the safety spot positively sucked & you look like a HOF player by mere comparison. That doesn't mean Dwight is good it may just mean your competition pool is beyond pathetic. 

You should read the comments after the article. The Falcon's fans really seemed to like Lowery.

You should read the comments after the article. The Falcon's fans really seemed to like Lowery.

I took your advice & did just that. But to me, the evaluations of former Falcons DC Mike Nolan & former Jets HC Rex Ryan & their assessment of Lowery  carries more credibility with me than anything an Atlanta fan says.

If I see either defensive minded coach comment on Dwight's skill set, that I will give serious consideration to CL; Something a fan writes...I don't fall hook, line, & sinker for usually because I can't tell how well they know a team I seldom read about let alone follow on a regular basis.

If I'm wrong or I change my mind on him, I will let you know. Right now, I'm in limbo on him neutral like Switzerland. I respect your opinion though CL. So, I will keep an open mind on him for now.  

It appears that many on here think that the Indianapolis Colts have a magic pot of Salay Cap gold which has no limit.

If we don't have pro-bowl talent at every position by the time pre-season starts, I'm off to support the Jaguars.

31 teams with equal financial restraints should not be an inhibitor. And every single player all have Indy as their first and only choice. And for good measure, all players currently under contracts with other teams should be allowed to walk away from those obligations if they want to join us.Fire Grigson.

You have a gift for sarcasm BHC. Never lose that. Not to many people can voice their displeasure with those quick to slam this new piece & still be funny at the same time. Sarcasm is a lost art. Nice work.  :hat:

Good grief guys, the Falcons were second worse in the league with only 22 sacks last season. No player can cover receivers all day long. There was a lot wrong with the Falcons last year.

Lowery played well in Rex's system, and I expect him to do well in ours. He is not a superstar but he should be solid for us.

Thank You!!!!!

1.1 yards per cover snap. That means on any given passing play, he was giving up 1.1 yards. For comparison Landry was at .66

Wow. I think i may wet myself with that number. I thought he was at least a .76 guy. There go the Colts, ignoring all the measurables.

Wow. I think i may wet myself with that number. I thought he was at least a .76 guy. There go the Colts, ignoring all the measurables.

I wish he was a .76 guy. Still be particularly bad. But not as horrible. Lettuce pray he pulls a Phil Costa. 

so Dustin how do you think Grigs has done with the cap space this offseason?

I like the Gore, AJ, Cole, Irving, and Herremans signings. I think all those guys will contribute greatly (I think Irving can win a starting spot). Langford I'm 'meh' on. I think he's a lateral move from RJF and a downgrade from Redding. Don't like the Lowery signing at all, especially if he's starting.