Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight lowery agrees to terms with us

12isthenew18

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know much about him so can someone let me know on him like skill etc.

He gave up over 600 yards in coverage last season.

For comparison

Adams gave up 298

Landry gave up 120

Brown gave up 90. 

For a total of 508!

Good grief guys, the Falcons were second worse in the league with only 22 sacks last season. No player can cover receivers all day long. There was a lot wrong with the Falcons last year.

Lowery played well in Rex's system, and I expect him to do well in ours. He is not a superstar but he should be solid for us.

Good grief guys, the Falcons were second worse in the league with only 22 sacks last season. No player can cover receivers all day long. There was a lot wrong with the Falcons last year.

Lowery played well in Rex's system, and I expect him to do well in ours. He is not a superstar but he should be solid for us.

Speaking the truth! Give the guy a chance!!! Not every player is going to be a shining star!!!!

Besides what else would you rather do? I'm sure we will draft a S still. Slow offseason. Gotta complain about something.

No he didn't. He gave up over 300 yards on only 300ish pass plays in the year he played safety under Rex. 1.51 yards per cover snap was by far the worst in the league. The next closest was at 1.27.

He gave up over 600 yards in coverage last season.

For comparison

Adams gave up 298

Landry gave up 120

Brown gave up 90. 

For a total of 508!

I believe you, but that seems not NFL worthy. I saw he started 15 games for the Falcons. I'm wondering why he played even with a bad Falcon pass rush.

I believe you, but that seems not NFL worthy. I saw he started 15 games for the Falcons. I'm wondering why he played even with a bad Falcon pass rush.

For some reason, NFL decision makers prefer to start bad players over unknown players. See how long it took Boom Herron to steal carries from Trent Richardson even though conventional wisdom told you you could pick any RB off of the street and he'd be more effective? 

I actually think this helps improve the run defense. Nobody is going to not throw the ball with Dwight Lowery in the backfield. 

I can't say I know much about Lowery but prior to 2014, before the Falcons, as a safety, he never had a negative pass coverage grade for a season on PFF. In just 557 snaps in 2012 (he was inured in 2013) he was +6.1 pass coverage, which is quite good.

I can't say I know much about Lowery but prior to 2014, before the Falcons, as a safety, he never had a negative pass coverage grade for a season on PFF.

That's cool, but his passing stats have been bad to below average most of his career. Awful in his years with the Jets (as a safety) and Falcons.. He had 1 good year in Jacksonville (which viewed with the rest of his career is a complete outlier) and another below average one.

His PFF grade doesn't mean anything to me if he's giving up 80 yard plays every other game.

Here's what Grigson has done regarding the safety position since getting here:

1. Sign Zibikowski - bad signing

2. Sign Landry - bad signing

3. Let Bethea leave -  although he did not have great cover skills, was our best safety. (I'm okay with this knowing what SF gave for him).

4. Sign Adams- good signing

5. Through the draft he added Dewey McDonald. 

Then he signs Winston Guy and now Dwight Lowery. Both played for the God-awful Jaguars and were let go.....from the Jaguars!

Colts fans seam obsessed with being like the Patriots (the Pagano thread) while Grigson is trying to make us more like the Jaguars. (sarcasm)

I'll give Grigs and Lowery the benefit of the doubt, but he has a lot to prove if the Jags and Falcons let him go.

The 29-year old Lowery comes to Indianapolis after seven NFL seasons (84 games played, 62 career starts).

Lowery played with the Atlanta Falcons last season, where he started 15 of 16 games.

As free agency began, Lowery told ESPN.com he didn’t expect the Falcons to re-sign him with new head coach Dan Quinn arriving after time as the Seahawks defensive coordinator.

"The Seattle system, they like taller, longer players that can run and are physical. ... I'm not the tallest guy (5-11 and 212 pounds),” Lowery told ESPN.com.

“I'm definitely not a blazer as far as 40 times go. But I play football. I know what I'm doing, and I understand what I'm doing. There are places for players like that, too."