Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will we ever See Mathis in a Colts uniform again?

kansascolt

Coming off an Achilles tendon injury is never easy. Some consider it a career killer. Especially with Mathis' style of play; I can't imagine the strain it puts on his hips, ankles, knees, and Achilles. Couple that with his age (it hurts to say that someone that is my age is "aging"), I just have a bad feeling. Anyways, do the Colts re-sign him? Please weigh in.

Please note, I am a huge Mathis fan and would be thrilled to see him back in the blue.

I think it depends. If he is willing to maybe take a pay cut for 2015, and play for around 5 mil for the season, I'd be fine keeping him. But OLB is our biggest need now going into next offseason, and we need to find a dominant pass rusher for the future, because I feel that Werner is more of a complimental pass rusher like Kruger was. You can never have enough pass rush. Just look what wonders it does for Seattle. That's what makes their secondary so great.

I think it depends. If he is willing to maybe take a pay cut for 2015, and play for around 5 mil for the season, I'd be fine keeping him. But OLB is our biggest need now going into next offseason, and we need to find a dominant pass rusher for the future, because I feel that Werner is more of a complimental pass rusher like Kruger was. You can never have enough pass rush. Just look what wonders it does for Seattle. That's what makes their secondary so great.

I don't see Werner as being a complimentary pass rusher or any kind of pass rusher at all. I didn't see him make any penetration against Denver. He did well at stopping the run though but these games are won and lost by the QBs and when any pro QB is allowed to have time, he will be dangerous.

He might be back in a Colts uniform but I do not expect his pass rush productivity at age 33 or 34 to come close to what he had last year. Just being realistic.

Yes, I would keep him around for a year to mentor a new draft pick or young free agent but he is as good as gone by the end of the 2015 season, IMO.

He can't take a pay cut without us releasing him.  And that isn't likely to happen as we would take the dead money hit anyways.

I don't see Werner as being a complimentary pass rusher or any kind of pass rusher at all. I didn't see him make any penetration against Denver. He did well at stopping the run though but these games are won and lost by the QBs and when any pro QB is allowed to have time, he will be dangerous.

Hard to judge Werner so early, his stats last year actually compare relatively closely to Mathis' first year in the league, especially considering Werner played 3 less games and was playing behind Mathis & Walden last season...

Not saying Werner will ever reach Mathis status, it's just super early to totally write the guy off...

but the guy definitely won't become a pass rusher if he doesn't see the field, so now with Mathis out he'll have a much better opportunity to figure it out...

I think he will get a chance to play out the last year of his contract next season as long as he looks like he is fully recovered.  Then it depends on how he plays ... if he plays decent I would look for them to offer him a short, reduced, colts cap friendly contract.

He still has a year left on his deal, He will be back. He wont leave 10.75 mill on the table and I don't see him being cut with 1 year left on his deal even though it would save  7 mill cap room next year, I think coaching staff will be more then willing to keep him based on what he could do if healthy come next year (Though I'd have to say I think the chances of him being 100% of what he was before the injury just one year later is not good in my opinion)

Tearing your achilles isn't a career ender anymore. Just look at guys like Jason Peters, Terrell Suggs and Crabtree...all came back fine. Long sucky rehab maybe, but not a career ender.

Mathis is older than all of them when they tore their Achilles.

In some cases,  much older.

I'm not saying he won't come back.....    but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not ready to go in week #1.

He could start the season on the PUP list.    I'm not predicting this...   but I won't be surprised if it happens.....

Well we are knew it was coming eventually. Honestly, if you look at it, the end is near for the 3 old guys. Reggie Robert and AV. While this absolutely sucks and I'm gonna miss Mathis, this may be a blessing in disguise down the road. This forces Grigs to address the issue now as opposed to 2 years from now, allowing him to perhaps draft and develop a quality rusher while Luck is still young enough to be our QB and should be hitting his stride. Guess we will see

I'd like to see him back as well, but if not I'm focused on building the new and improved Colts into the future.  Mathis is a game wrecker from another era.  The train is getting closer to pulling into the station. Same for Reggie, AV, Redding, and all the other old heads.

Tearing your achilles isn't a career ender anymore. Just look at guys like Jason Peters, Terrell Suggs and Crabtree...all came back fine. Long sucky rehab maybe, but not a career ender.

When you're going on 34, the career ender has less to do with the injury and more to do with teh fact that you're 34.  Mathis may come back a Colt, but his chances of playing are severely diminished.

I'd like to see him back as well, but if not I'm focused on building the new and improved Colts into the future.  Mathis is a game wrecker from another era.  The train is getting closer to pulling into the station. Same for Reggie, AV, Redding, and all the other old heads.

As much as I hate to admit this Krunk, you're point is a valid one. He's still productive & losing his presence for 4 games is definitely noticeable. I just hope our GM Ryan Grigson is planning ahead for the day when God forbid new replacements must be inserted. In previous years, we didn't do enough to prepare for inserting new pieces in INDY; I'm not blaming anyone in the front office; I'm just saying don't wait until it's too late to get fresh legs on the field. Like Chad72 said, have Mathis start serving as a mentor to his eventual successor. Is that man Werner? Too soon to tell that yet IMO. 

I love Mathis too, but father time escapes no one. I'm not booting him out the door just have a contingency plan ready. 

He can't take a pay cut without us releasing him.  And that isn't likely to happen as we would take the dead money hit anyways.

He is a 10.75 M cap hit next year and the dead money is only 3.75 M that is a no brainer for a player coming off of a PED suspension at age 33 that just happened to be the best yr of his career and an Achilles injury to me. There is no way he is worth that much money.

As much as I hate to admit this Krunk, you're point is a valid one. He's still productive & losing his presence for 4 games is definitely noticeable. I just hope our GM Ryan Grigson is planning ahead for the day when God forbid new replacements must be inserted. In previous years, we didn't do enough to prepare for inserting new pieces in INDY; I'm not blaming anyone in the front office; I'm just saying don't wait until it's too late to get fresh legs on the field. Like Chad72 said, have Mathis start serving as a mentor to his eventual successor. Is that man Werner? Too soon to tell that yet IMO. 

I love Mathis too, but father time escapes no one. I'm not booting him out the door just have a contingency plan ready. 

Grig's at least sees it coming or so it seems. He is  trying with Werner and now we will get to see if he was in the ball park.

He took Newsome in this draft. Grig's seems to have a pretty good head for the game the next couple of season's will show what kind of eye he has. 

If Werner gets going which it really seemed like he was on the verge in the preseason. Holmes pans out at C and Thorton and Mewhort settle into the O Line. We will be looking pretty good.

It is a business and I don't see how Mathis can fit into a well ran business under his current deal.

Well....   in the last two seasons,  Grigson has drafted Werner in the 1st round,  drafted Newsome in the 5th round,  signed Walden as a FA,  traded a 7 for Cam Johnson,  and went half-way around the world for Daniel Odongo....    I think the guy is trying....

Now, whether he's succeeding or not is another story......   but he's trying.

And, I suspect next spring,  he'll invest more in an OLB.

I think he's trending things in that way.  I'm going to see how things go with Werner as the Rush LB, but I think I'm leaning more towards what others have said about him possibly being more effective at the Sam linebacker. I think Newsome can be the Rush linebacker as time goes on, but as of right now I think he's still out there learning and second guessing.  Not sure how things will be handled into the future for people like Walden(whom I like).  I'm interested to see who and if we will replace Cory Redding next year, if they do in all likelihood I suppose it would be Montori Hughes or Zach Kerr(probably Kerr) and then draft some more beasts from there for depth.  

I'm going to give Dqwell Jackson some more time, but I haven't liked what I've seen so far in the passing game with him.  The wear and tear of the league has taken away his foot speed to me.  I am wondering what in the heck is Manusky going to scheme up to keep him out of these one on one matchups in the passing game?  Is he going to play more zone with the LBs or is he just going to take Jackson out on passing downs? If you want my opinion I prefer a younger more athletic striker with some foot speed maybe like Mwamba playing next to Freeman.  I'm okay with Jackson in the run game, but in the passing game he leaves some things to be desired.

He can reduce the cap hit by rescrutucing(sp)

Not when he only has one year left.  Restructuring essentially allows you to take your salary and make it into a signing bonus and pro-rate it throughout the remainder of the contract.  So if you have a 5 mil salary this year with 3 years left, you can say turn 3 million of your salary into bonus money and it gets pro-rated over the remaining 3 years of the contract thereby reducing the current year's cap hit by 2 million.  (But adding a million to the last 2 years cap hit)

However if you only have one year left on the contract you can't lower the cap hit at all. 

Besides because restructuring by it's nature give the player MORE guaranteed money the only advantage to the team is temporary cap relief.  If you arn't in cap trouble you usually don't want to go doing that. 

Mathis is older than all of them when they tore their Achilles.

In some cases, much older.

I'm not saying he won't come back..... but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not ready to go in week #1.

He could start the season on the PUP list. I'm not predicting this... but I won't be surprised if it happens.....

I'm was talking about mathis specifically. Any injury is going to harder to overcome the older you get. I was just pointing out the fact that the medical procedures used in repairing a torn achilles has improved a great deal in the last few years.....from how they reattach the tendon, the less intrusive nature of the incision, to using multiple cadaver tendons to replace the the tone one. I would link to the article I read last year, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

When you're going on 34, the career ender has less to do with the injury and more to do with teh fact that you're 34.  Mathis may come back a Colt, but his chances of playing are severely diminished.

Yes, it may be for Mathis due to his age. But it's not considered a career killer the way the OP laid it out.

The drug Mathis' was taking supposedly is a masking agent for a person coming off of a steriod cycle.  Since he lead the league in sacks at a relatively old age AND without any other player on defense commanding attention, it seems like he was probably playing with the benefit of sort of substance last year.

So, since he is now on the PED radar, and his physical condition may be less than what is was last year, he will in no way be as productive as last year.

But I don't think the colts should cut him, but they need to look for his replacement.  Personally, I never believed Werner was ever going to be quick enough to be his replacement.  I think he should hoan is run defense and pass defense skills and be ready to take over for Walden.

The Colts should move up into the top 15 of next year's draft to get Mathis' replacement.  That OLB is VERY important in a 34 defense, and the players who are projected to have the level of talent and skill needed to play that position at a high level don't fall out of the top half of the draft.  

A team can't fill that position with a half,,*,,effort...they need to properly invest draft picks to get him.

Suggs' Achilles injury wasn't a complete tear so he wasn't out very long. I'm not sure about Peters and Crabtree. Mathis' must be a complete tear since he's out the entire year.

Since he's on the non football injury list, do they even have to pay him for this season? He should come back next season but at a reduced rate.

The drug Mathis' was taking supposedly is a masking agent for a person coming off of a steriod cycle.  Since he lead the league in sacks at a relatively old age AND without any other player on defense commanding attention, it seems like he was probably playing with the benefit of sort of substance last year.

So, since he is now on the PED radar, and his physical condition may be less than what is was last year, he will in no way be as productive as last year.

But I don't think the colts should cut him, but they need to look for his replacement.  Personally, I never believed Werner was ever going to be quick enough to be his replacement.  I think he should hoan is run defense and pass defense skills and be ready to take over for Walden.

The Colts should move up into the top 15 of next year's draft to get Mathis' replacement.  That OLB is VERY important in a 34 defense, and the players who are projected to have the level of talent and skill needed to play that position at a high level don't fall out of the top half of the draft.  

A team can't fill that position with a half,,butt,,effort...they need to properly invest draft picks to get him.

I agree we need to move on from Mathis. I would not bring him back at 10.75M a year maybe we can do it cheaper not sure how all that stuff works with the non football injury.

Just move up huh? I couldn't disagree more. It cost a lot move up and we have more than one hole to fill. I hate giving up draft picks. We need to keep building with young guys. You also realize that moving from about 25th to 15th would cost our 2nd round pick right? 

I think you take the best available player on the board IMO as with every draft. If that is an OLB it is if not we could use help on the back end of the D and in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Another guy I really like is Arik Armstead. He is a monster, freak athlete and would stand up in 3-4 depending on what kind of year he has he could be sitting there for us. He is 6'8 280lbs of nasty. The show he put on vs MSU last weekend he is on the upswing.

There still is the possibility that Werner and/or Newsome show this year.

Who were you looking at that we need to move up to get? 

Coming off an Achilles tendon injury is never easy. Some consider it a career killer. Especially with Mathis' style of play; I can't imagine the strain it puts on his hips, ankles, knees, and Achilles. Couple that with his age (it hurts to say that someone that is my age is "aging"), I just have a bad feeling. Anyways, do the Colts re-sign him? Please weigh in.

Please note, I am a huge Mathis fan and would be thrilled to see him back in the blue.

He's done...He isn't really a line backer and he's an undersized speed based player wherever he plays

He's done.