Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4th and 6 (Colts @ Broncos)

Indianapolis-Colts-Fan

Could have been 4th and 1. I think in a 4th and 1 we get the first down. Oline lost this game.

No Oline did not lose this game. They actually played pretty damn good for all the changes. We need to work on the redzone play calling alittle. I know we lost but Im not disapointed at all. This game makes me feel good going in to this season. We meet the Broncos back in the playoffs we will win!!!!!!!!

They played better than I expected. I thought starting a center who had just been picked up a week ago was a recipe for disaster but it turned out okay.

Shipley played very well other then the delay of game that would have been called had GC not false started.

Castonzo and GC played great games. Guards were very shaky in the first half but much better in the second half and I think we have something with screens and getting Mewhort out there blocking.

I feel good about the comeback, but on the 4th and 6 I felt we should have taken advantage of the Nicks on Tony Carter matchup.

agreed but I knew that ball was going to Wayne as soon as I saw it was fourth down. Wayne is Luck's security blanket and with good reason but a throw to another guy in a key situation wouldn't kill him.

agreed but I knew that ball was going to Wayne as soon as I saw it was fourth down. Wayne is Luck's security blanket and with good reason but a throw to another guy in a kill situation wouldn't kill him.

I know Nicks would have beat that dude.  I have to deal with this loss in my head for now, but I know as the season moves on Luck will get a whole lot more trust in going to #14.  

Gave up 6 QB hits which if that pace continues......and I see no reason why it wont until the Colts can establish a run game...Then that is 13 less QB hits then Luck took last year.......109 down to 96....I came in hoping for no more then 5 per game average so slightly off that pace(which would give us 80 on the year)....But Andrew had to throw 53 times just to keep us in the game. I'll have more as I go back over the game but 3rd downs really hurt us in this game, 7-14 giving on 3rd down (50%) and the Colts were only 4-13 (31%)

The offensive line was fine. What a stretch of a way to assign the blame to the line. This game was lost because of every unit other than the line.

Totally agree!

And on a different note, I didn't post during the game because I was too busy, uh, watching it.  But I did check the forum every now and then.

I thought we had our usual share of .... 'people' who can't wait to say something ... (trying to find kind words...) 'intellectually challenged (is that the PC phrase?). 

Anyway, I noticed how hard you had to work shutting down threads before they started.  I guess that's why you get the big bucks!

Pep needs to figure out his in game adjustments A LOT earlier than what he is now. It took until 24-0 to see the first screen!!! 

We need more QB roll outs. If Luck would've been allowed to run more we would've kept the D on their toes more. More dump off passes to RB's as well. Let Richardson and Bradshaw take off since they are hard to get down (for the most part) in space. 

I beleive our o-line played alot better than most expected....

To say our offensive line played better than expected is a huge reach. The first half they were absolutely terrible to the Nth degree. The second half was better but was upsetting at the holding calls on Mewhort and the call on Gosder Cherilus towards the end.

Pep needs to figure out his in game adjustments A LOT earlier than what he is now. It took until 24-0 to see the first screen!!! 

We need more QB roll outs. If Luck would've been allowed to run more we would've kept the D on their toes more. More dump off passes to RB's as well. Let Richardson and Bradshaw take off since they are hard to get down (for the most part) in space. 

Agreed he has to stop with College nonsense play calling. He is not at Stanford anymore he can't expect Luck to have 20 seconds to get rid of the ball. Also Luck has to realize he is not in college anymore and can't hold on to the ball for 20 seconds

To say our offensive line played better than expected is a huge reach. The first half they were absolutely terrible to the Nth degree. The second half was better but was upsetting at the holding calls on Mewhort and the call on Gosder Cherilus towards the end.

How do you know what he believed most expected?

I'm curious why so many think the line played poorly in the 1st half and good in the second?  Is it just because the Colts put points on the board?  Because I thought it was just the opposite.  The line played well in the 1st half (AC and GC played well the entire game) but the interior was doing a great job, especially in pass protection in the first half but then when Denver started to get more creative in the 2nd half then their inexperience really started to show.

Shipley did ok, but on run blocking he really needs to learn to come off the double team and get to the 2nd level.  Watch Trich's 2nd run as an example of what I mean.  Shipley should just get the DT with an arm to prevent him from coming in the 1 gap while keeping his shoulders square to the LOS, then when the guard gets a handle on the DT then he needs to get out to the LB.  If he had done that, that run and others would have been a huge gain, instead it was a loss of one.

But overall the line played ok and yes Thornton needs to get in better shape so he doesn't wear down in the 2nd half.

Okay I guess I should say cherilus lost the game when he stood up looking for a penalty that was none existent.

Or you could just say it was a costly penalty. That would be true. But we had a chance to convert on 4th and 6. We were still a long way from home, even with a conversion. Cherilus didn't lose us the game. Two picks, inability to recover a clear fumble, and inability to cover Julius Thomas in the first half is what lost us the game.

Cherilus was a rock for most of the game. It's out of bounds, IMO, to blame him for this loss.

agreed the richardson looked closer to what we thought we were getting tonight then at any point last year. If we don't spot the other team 24 points before we start playing T-Rich and Bradshaw might be a very good running combo.

It was a shame we got down like that. Otherwise, we may have been treated to a great run performance, judging by the way Trent and Ahmad were rushin'. I did see numerous failed protections from both of them though. I noted several apparent pre-snap confusions over said protections. Nate Irving came through clean, twice, and he should've been met.

Something needs to be addressed in that regard. 

Another issue I noticed regarding our RB's; Not sure why, but when we throw to Trent, it's never in stride. There's some hesitation by Luck before checking down. Luck is waiting WAY too long to check down to Trent. Conversely, Ahmad was hit in stride a few times for some success, indicating he was the primary. 

Why aren't we targeting Trent through the air? Why are we ignoring this aspect of Trent's game? The dude is dynamite in open space. Trent even discussed his desire to catch more passes a few weeks ago to the media. If Luck would hit Terent in stride, we'd get some great production out of him, I'm sure of it.