Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis breaks 2 franchise records.

Dustin

Who will be the first to argue his success is a byproduct of the production of Freeney for all those years? Surely someone will. I'm surprised no one has yet.

Mathis is a beast. A lock for DPOY IMO.

Theyll give DPOY to Sherman. Which is disgusting and wrong. Mathis is the DPOY of my heart though <3

Theyll give DPOY to Sherman. Which is disgusting and wrong. Mathis is the DPOY of my heart though <3

I doubt it. He's not having a standout year, really. And I think mostof the pizzazz around him has blown over. I think most are now wise to the fact that he's not so much a shut down corner as much as he just holds, and interferes and just doesn't get called for it.  

Not to mention the fact that people just don't seem to like him after he got in a public peeing match with skip bayless and said everything short of "You've got a small peepee" with as much charisma as a slice of half eaten cheese.

But the adderall will do that to you, won't it?

Cheap shot? Eh, I'm not above it.

Tip o' the hat to Robert Mathis -- the hottest "stripper" in Indianapolis history!

There's a natural follow up question about what his appropriate nickname should be...wink, wink...Oh never mind, this is wholesome family environment after all...My bad... 

All kidding aside, nice work Robert. Bravo! 

I think it is between Mathis and Robert Quinn for defensive player of the year. But due to the Colts' record, chances are, Mathis will win it.

It would then be official, Mathis would never have to live in Freeney's shadow again if he wins defensive POY. I don't think Freeney ever won defensive POY, did he? The only other Colts player recently that won defensive POY has been Bob Sanders.

I think it is between Mathis and Robert Quinn for defensive player of the year. But due to the Colts' record, chances are, Mathis will win it.

It would then be official, Mathis would never have to live in Freeney's shadow again if he wins defensive POY. I don't think Freeney ever won defensive POY, did he? The only other Colts player recently that won defensive POY has been Bob Sanders.

I think it's probably Luke Kuechly. The Panthers suddenly have one the best defenses in the league, and Kuechly is having a monster year.

If Mathis had seriously threatened the sacks record, he'd probably be at the top of the list. Robert Quinn is but a part of a really good defensive line, and though he's a standout, he really benefits from his linemates. 

Pretty much. Quinn is by far the best 43 DE in the NFL and he's good against both the pass and the run. It's his award to lose IMO.

I'm fine with Mathis winning the first ever Deacon Jones award though. :)

Wow...didn't know he creaped up that far on the career list. Congrats indeed!! Its wierd because we all but assume Freeney is HOF caliber but Mathis has now outproduced him in the same amount of time and seems to have more in the tank! Wonder if either are going to the HOF or they will kinda cancel each other out.

PS....not to get off subject but just wondering what people think....isn't it interesting outside Luck the best/most influencial players on this team are all Polian players. Vinitari, Mathis, Wayne, Brown, Constanzo, and Bethea....I know Grigson has brought in his own players but lets be honest the Core of this team is still very much Polian influenced. I wonder if he gets in kudos for that...or will we continue to rag on him.  Not saying Grigson hasn't made some great picks/signings Landry, Davis, Redding, and Hilton but there is still a very big Polian influence on this teams success.

Wow...didn't know he creaped up that far on the career list. Congrats indeed!! Its wierd because we all but assume Freeney is HOF caliber but Mathis has now outproduced him in the same amount of time and seems to have more in the tank! Wonder if either are going to the HOF or they will kinda cancel each other out.

PS....not to get off subject but just wondering what people think....isn't it interesting outside Luck the best/most influencial players on this team are all Polian players. Vinitari, Mathis, Wayne, Brown, Constanzo, and Bethea....I know Grigson has brought in his own players but lets be honest the Core of this team is still very much Polian influenced. I wonder if he gets in kudos for that...or will we continue to rag on him.  Not saying Grigson hasn't made some great picks/signings Landry, Davis, Redding, and Hilton but there is still a very big Polian influence on this teams success.

Oh yes, no doubt. Polian's mark on this team looms large. Grigson does share the skill position drafting skills that Polian had, IMO. Defense, it is TBD.

This recent draft has been a bit forgettable in terms of immediate impact but that is the nature of the positions drafted too. Pass rushers, OL and DL will take time to contribute while skill position players, the ones drafted last year, tend to contribute much faster. Grigson should start focusing more on building through the draft now, IMO, even if the picks are limited.

All I want right now is "Irsay to lay low" and not pressure Grigson to make any moves next season. I never liked Irsay tweeting before the Vontae Davis and T. Rich trades. If there is a trade in the air, let us hear it after it is finalized, not while the talks are going on. Maybe the other team uses it as a bargaining chip knowing that Irsay has painted himself into a corner and now HAS TO pull the move off for his fans. Maybe we get VD for a 3rd rounder and T. Rich for a 2nd rounder, maybe, if Irsay kept his twitter account shut during negotiations. But then, it is just speculation on my part and I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I don't agree with the premise. Those guys are super important, some of them mainstays for many years. But with Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw, Thomas, etc., all hurt, it gets skewed. Hilton, Fleener, Davis, Landry, Freeman, etc., have all been huge. Cherilus is a rock at RT. Then the trench guys whose names don't get called -- RJF, Walden, Chapman, etc., have been instrumental to this year's success.

The guys who are left over from the Polian era are all really good players; that's the reason they're still here. It stands to reason that they'd be prominent. But, for the most part, they are the ONLY ones still here, plus a handful of young guys and reserves. Grigson rebuilt every skill position, with only two holdovers (Reggie and Donald). The secondary is new, aside from Bethea (including the reserves). The defensive front is new, aside from Mathis and a couple reserves.

I'm very thankful for the guys who have stayed: Mathis, Reggie, Bethea, Vinatieri, McAfee, and the young guys who Polian had just brought in. But this is very much Grigson's team at this point.

I don't agree with the premise. Those guys are super important, some of them mainstays for many years. But with Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw, Thomas, etc., all hurt, it gets skewed. Hilton, Fleener, Davis, Landry, Freeman, etc., have all been huge. Cherilus is a rock at RT. Then the trench guys whose names don't get called -- RJF, Walden, Chapman, etc., have been instrumental to this year's success.

The guys who are left over from the Polian era are all really good players; that's the reason they're still here. It stands to reason that they'd be prominent. But, for the most part, they are the ONLY ones still here, plus a handful of young guys and reserves. Grigson rebuilt every skill position, with only two holdovers (Reggie and Donald). The secondary is new, aside from Bethea (including the reserves). The defensive front is new, aside from Mathis and a couple reserves.

I'm very thankful for the guys who have stayed: Mathis, Reggie, Bethea, Vinatieri, McAfee, and the young guys who Polian had just brought in. But this is very much Grigson's team at this point.

Oh..of course your going to have hold overs that are really good....I didn't mean Grigson hasn't brought in good players...but the core...the players that are getting it done...are very much Polian players. Adam has been lights out...for many years...and Mathis is single handily wreeking havoc. Brown has basically saved our season running the ball and we see how fast we've fallen from SB contender to barely playoff worthy without Reggie. All I'm getting at is the cubbord was hardly bare when Grigson got here and the stars of the team...are still ones from Polian. I don't count Luck because well that was handed to Grigson but all I'm saying is he has done a good job building around our stars but we've yet to see him add some stars of his own....we think we may have some  (Hilton and Allen) but Grigson is still really benefiting a lot from Polians players. I'm not saying he won't have his own but a lot of the credit to this team still belongs to Bill for building it...Ryan in my mind still has work to do in moving forward....these moves like for Trent and drafting Werner and Fleener etc and how they turn out and his future picks will go a long way to measuring Grigson's success. How he builds around Luck....and the coaches he brings in will be a big measure...I think he is doing a solid job...but I think sometimes people don't realize that the big cornerstones on this team aren't Grigsons players...at least yet.