Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis breaks 2 franchise records.

Dustin

Oh..of course your going to have hold overs that are really good....I didn't mean Grigson hasn't brought in good players...but the core...the players that are getting it done...are very much Polian players. Adam has been lights out...for many years...and Mathis is single handily wreeking havoc. Brown has basically saved our season running the ball and we see how fast we've fallen from SB contender to barely playoff worthy without Reggie. All I'm getting at is the cubbord was hardly bare when Grigson got here and the stars of the team...are still ones from Polian. I don't count Luck because well that was handed to Grigson but all I'm saying is he has done a good job building around our stars but we've yet to see him add some stars of his own....we think we may have some  (Hilton and Allen) but Grigson is still really benefiting a lot from Polians players. I'm not saying he won't have his own but a lot of the credit to this team still belongs to Bill for building it...Ryan in my mind still has work to do in moving forward....these moves like for Trent and drafting Werner and Fleener etc and how they turn out and his future picks will go a long way to measuring Grigson's success. How he builds around Luck....and the coaches he brings in will be a big measure...I think he is doing a solid job...but I think sometimes people don't realize that the big cornerstones on this team aren't Grigsons players...at least yet.

I get it, I just think a lot of our top 15 are on hurt, and a lot of those are Grigson guys. The Polian holdovers have been super important, obviously. But Brown, for instance, is only getting reps because Ballard and Bradshaw are hurt. 

I do think the cupboard was as bare as it gets. The few guys that we kept were really good, so obviously they'd be cornerstones. But most of the roster has been retooled, aside from the handful of really good holdovers. Still a ton of work to do, definitely. 

Compare the Colts roster turnover to the Chiefs turnover, for instance. John Dorsey has made some adjustments, but that's mostly Scott Pioli's roster, especially at the top.