Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts consider trading for Sheldon Richardson? [Merge]

DarkHorse

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dline is probably the deepest position including offense & defense. If Richardson will be bad or missing games he won't worth it, and if he plays well, that OK for short term, but he'll take snaps off of our young guys. I think McGill and Ridgeway has shown enough promise to deserve a shot.

Not to mention his name. As a Colt, I don't like the word trade and the name Richardson in the same sentence :)

Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't really mean it couldn't before the season starts.  According to the article his 8M salary is keeping some teams away and he could possibly change his mind and rework his contract to get out of NY.   On paper it looks like we are okay at DL but that could change if Langford or Anderson   are not able to show they are fully recovered.  Langford is 31 and Richardson is 26.  If Langford has not fully recovered or has lost a step or two Richardson could become an option to replace him.  The situation sort of reminds me of last year when the Giants brought in Harrison to play alongside Hankins and that produced huge dividends for NY.  I could see a scenario where Richardson is brought in to play alongside Hankins ,this time with the Colts.  I'm not saying it's going to happen but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.  If the Jets really want to move him I think CB could work a deal that would be good for us. Like I said he's  26yrs. old, former 1st. rd pick and a proven quality starter.  Acquiring young stars in their prime doesn't happen very often.  There is still a long way to go until the season starts.  It could still happen. 

14 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I don't want to trade for another Richardson. Plus why would we need him when we've got T.Y. Mc freaking Gill? 

ty has talent, but he doesnt get many snaps

heck hes not even active for a lot of games

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Should the Colts consider trading for Sheldon Richardson? [Merge]
2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

ty has talent, but he doesnt get many snaps

heck hes not even active for a lot of games

He will be. Keep in mind he's only 24, was a udfa, and is only going into his third year. He's been a solid rotational player and I'm looking for him to start this year. With good health, he, Anderson, and Hankins should be as good a dline we've had in a while. 

On 2/12/2017 at 2:33 AM, NewColtsFan said:

There's another part to this that almost no one here is talking about.

Dollars that make sense....

Props to AZColts11 for bringing it up....

Richardson has to get signed to a long-term deal.    And he's likely going to ask for something in the range of 6/100 before maybe he settled for 5/75.       Maybe.

Oh, and he'll want roughly half of that guaranteed.     All this for a guy with an attitude issue and I think he's in the NFL drug protocol system and might be looking at suspensions?     Not sure on this, but that's what I thought I've read here in the past.......

Not sure if this is the kind of deal Irsay wants to make with this kind of player?

So even if we could trade JUST a 3 for Richardson, this deal is a LONG WAY from getting done...... 

Just saying.....

Yes, You are correct! He's got a drug suspension possible. So I wouldn't touch this he's also got some character issues. He's not the worst guy around or anything but his car was pulled over with a 12 yr old kid smelling of weed and he resisted arrest.   

On 5/27/2017 at 7:15 PM, Peterk2011 said:

Dline is probably the deepest position including offense & defense. If Richardson will be bad or missing games he won't worth it, and if he plays well, that OK for short term, but he'll take snaps off of our young guys. I think McGill and Ridgeway has shown enough promise to deserve a shot.

Not to mention his name. As a Colt, I don't like the word trade and the name Richardson in the same sentence :)

lol So true!

20 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yes, You are correct! He's got a drug suspension possible. So I wouldn't touch this he's also got some character issues. He's not the worst guy around or anything but his car was pulled over with a 12 yr old kid smelling of weed and he resisted arrest.   

You left out where he was pulled over driving 143 mph with a 12 yr old kid smelling of weed.

I understand saying we shouldn't do the trade due to his locker room issues, mental stuff, and money situation....but saying we don't need his talent because we have TY Mcgill and Anderson is just plain dumb.  If TY or Anderson were the starters on the opposing team's DLine we would be very excited.  We have had such crap at DLine for so long that people start to think our average players are all-stars.  We need a guy on the dline that the other team has to gameplan for.  I hope Hankins is and Basham becomes the feared pass rusher the other team worries about.   I am not saying we need to go out and grab Richardson, but if we did, he would be that guy the other team is scared of.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

With Maclin's release now being reported that it was primarily cap related i am wondering if Richardson could follow suit and be released if they can't find a trade partner.  The Jets are also under cap pressure. 

I think they will eventually release him if they don't find a trading partner. Honestly, I don't understand the timing of the Maclin release. The Chiefs could've kept him till training camp w no additional cost and see if there is any WR needy team when injuries begin to hurt teams. Same with Richardson.

Anyway, the Colts should've no interest in any of the two. If there is a position where we are fine at it's WR and DL. Of course injuries can change everything though.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

With Maclin's release now being reported that it was primarily cap related i am wondering if Richardson could follow suit and be released if they can't find a trade partner.  The Jets are also under cap pressure. 

Jets are about middle of the pack in cap space, with 10+M. Chiefs had only couple of million.

AND, Chiefs project to have negative cap space for next year, so they need to make some cuts to get under the cap for next year. Doable but they are still pretty tight. Jets are currently projected to have 4th most, with over 56M in cap space and save for Richardson, no UFAs worth big money.

Now it's being reported Eric Decker has been told he will be released or traded by the end of the week.  Jets are in a total teardown and rebuild mode.  It's hard to believe Richardson will be a Jet much longer after all the trade talk surrounding him.  He has the look of a typical Ballard FA signing too.  If he's released I can see us being one of the suitors.  Our DL would be unbelievable with him in the lineup.  This is going to be interesting to see how this unfolds.