Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts consider trading for Sheldon Richardson? [Merge]

DarkHorse

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

With the new league year approaching and the Jets in dire need of cap space this is the time to look into a possible trade for Sheldon Richardson.  They have tried to move him before and were not successful.  This might be the time.  Big men on the DL are going to be at a premium in FA.  A trade might make more sense. I say make the call and see if we can make a deal.  Thoughts?

Issue with that is Richardson is on the last year of his contract and his cap hit for this year is 8 mil so if we can't resign him, we take a hit of basically a one year contract for 8 mil

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Issue with that is Richardson is on the last year of his contract and his cap hit for this year is 8 mil so if we can't resign him, we take a hit of basically a one year contract for 8 mil

Presumably you'd work out a deal with him prior to trading for him.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Presumably you'd work out a deal with him prior to trading for him.

Which is the ideal situation, but that's a risk since you're not only giving away players/draft picks, you're also throwing a lot of money to resign him and if you can't you spent all that for a one year rental

Just now, CR91 said:

Which is the ideal situation, but that's a risk since you're not only giving away players/draft picks then also throwing a lot of money to resign him and if you can't you spent all that for a one year rental

Another presumption is that you would tag him, if necessary. Chandler Jones Theory.

You're right about the risk. It's not just the high trade cost (they refused third round picks, I'm assuming it will take at least a 2nd rounder, maybe a package of picks), there's also a big contract to consider. I'm not sure I'd do either for Sheldon Richardson, let alone both. I really wanted Mo Wilkerson, but I wasn't really excited about the trade package it would have taken to get him. 

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What about Dorsett and maybe a mid-late round pick?

We wouldn't trade Dorsett. CB isn't stupid. Dorsett still has value on the team. If TY got hurt, how would we keep opponents honest on the deep ball? Moncrief has speed, but he isn't a burner. As much as you all seem to hate Dorsett (for reasons I still can't comprehend), he is a small but crucial piece to the puzzle.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Another presumption is that you would tag him, if necessary. Chandler Jones Theory.

You're right about the risk. It's not just the high trade cost (they refused third round picks, I'm assuming it will take at least a 2nd rounder, maybe a package of picks), there's also a big contract to consider. I'm not sure I'd do either for Sheldon Richardson, let alone both. I really wanted Mo Wilkerson, but I wasn't really excited about the trade package it would have taken to get him. 

Maybe re-investigate that 3rd rounder theory.  If the Jets really don't want him perhaps they would settle for a 3rd this time around, or perhaps a 3rd and a player?  I would at least ask about it but I'm not Ballard.  Perhaps he has no interest in this guy.  At any rate, no way I'm giving up either my 1st or 2nd rounder.  We need high picks badly.  And there will still be guys on the market at his position that you won't have to give anything up for.

48 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

We wouldn't trade Dorsett. CB isn't stupid. Dorsett still has value on the team. If TY got hurt, how would we keep opponents honest on the deep ball? Moncrief has speed, but he isn't a burner. As much as you all seem to hate Dorsett (for reasons I still can't comprehend), he is a small but crucial piece to the puzzle.

I don't hate Dorsett, Ithink he is being mis-used by coaches. And to get someone good, you sometimes have to give up something in return.

57 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I would trade Dorsett in a heartbeat in that scenario.

Not just no, but h e l l no. Not only would it take a high draft pick, but it'll also take a huge contract as well. All for a guy 1 incident away from a year suspension for drug use and pulled this just after it was announced that he was suspended for 4 games:

Richardson was charged with resisting arrest following a July 14 incident that allegedly involved street racing with a 12-year-old boy in the back seat, carrying a loaded handgun and smelling of marijuana. Per the police report, Richardson drove at speeds up to 143 mph while racing another car.

After initially fleeing from police, Richardson was eventually pulled over. A police officer found a semi-automatic and fully loaded handgun under the driver's side floor mat and noted that Richardson and the passengers smelled of burned marijuana.

Jets need cap space, and word is they cannot find anyone to take Richardson off there hands since most believe they will release him if they can't find a trade partner. They need the cap space, it is the one area where NYJ are loaded, and no one is willing to give up a high pick for his baggage. He plays when he wants to, and then the off field issues. He was a non issue this year.

You could have him probably for a late rounder, 5th to 7th, but I don't want all that baggage. Big gamble!

12 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Jets need cap space, and word is they cannot find anyone to take Richardson off there hands since most believe they will release him if they can't find a trade partner. They need the cap space, it is the one area where NYJ are loaded, and no one is willing to give up a high pick for his baggage. He plays when he wants to, and then the off field issues. He was a non issue this year.

You could have him probably for a late rounder, 5th to 7th, but I don't want all that baggage. Big gamble!

There is no way they trade him for a late rounder 

Irregardless of his talent, I do not trust him, and I do not believe we have a locker room that can contain him.  He'll destroy us from the inside. with his extracurricular activities.

On the field I trust him wholeheartedly.  One step into the parking lot and I distrust him completely, at every turn.  He's heartbreak material IMHO.

17 hours ago, richard pallo said:

With the new league year approaching and the Jets in dire need of cap space this is the time to look into a possible trade for Sheldon Richardson.  They have tried to move him before and were not successful.  This might be the time.  Big men on the DL are going to be at a premium in FA.  A trade might make more sense. I say make the call and see if we can make a deal.  Thoughts?

I don`t think you know what you need to know about him. He is a bad apple, so no thanks.

13 hours ago, Shive said:

Not just no, but h e l l no. Not only would it take a high draft pick, but it'll also take a huge contract as well. All for a guy 1 incident away from a year suspension for drug use and pulled this just after it was announced that he was suspended for 4 games:

Didn't know that.  scatch that idea

6 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Brandon Williams for a LOT less money and almost the same production.  Williams' cap hit in 2016 was just over $600K.

He was on his rookie contract in 2016, so I don't see how that is relevant at all

On 3/2/2017 at 6:35 AM, Mjølner said:

He was on his rookie contract in 2016, so I don't see how that is relevant at all

OK who do you think is going to command more?  That's sort of where I was going.  If you really believe Williams is going to be looking for more than Richardson then I don't know what to tell ya.

The Jets aren't done cutting players, per sources. Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson are in danger of losing their roster spots. They could try to trade Pryor and Richardson, both former first-round picks. David Harris appears safe for now, but that could change if they sign a free agent at inside linebacker.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0629387188722734363-4

I wouldn't mind picking up Buster Skrine.  Like that kid.

On 03/03/2017 at 1:37 PM, AZColt11 said:

OK who do you think is going to command more?  That's sort of where I was going.  If you really believe Williams is going to be looking for more than Richardson then I don't know what to tell ya.

That's not what I said, and that's not what you said. Simply pointing out that his cap hit from a rookie contract is irrelevant to the whole discussion

12 hours ago, Mjølner said:

That's not what I said, and that's not what you said. Simply pointing out that his cap hit from a rookie contract is irrelevant to the whole discussion

OK thanks.  I guess I was not aware of that.  I don't keep tabs on contract status' of players.  I just don't have time.  At any rate, I would think he would come cheaper than a vet who has already made big bucks.  I could be wrong, just my observation.  If I'm wrong I'm not afraid to admit it.  It's all good.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Jets are shopping in again for apparently a 4th RD pick. I'd give them one of 4th's and a incentive based pick in next years draft. He would immediately be an upgrade over Art Jones.

Really?  I would make the call.  Maybe the release isn't a coincidence.  We can only hope. 

The rumor is two teams are interested, but only wiling to give up a 4th rounder. Let's say that's true. Richardson hasn't been traded, so it's pretty obvious it would take more than a 4th rounder. Rumor last year is the Jets said no to a 3rd rounder.

You're not going to get Sheldon Richardson for a mid round pick. If that were possible, he'd have been traded already.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:12 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Irregardless of his talent, I do not trust him, and I do not believe we have a locker room that can contain him.  He'll destroy us from the inside. with his extracurricular activities.

On the field I trust him wholeheartedly.  One step into the parking lot and I distrust him completely, at every turn.  He's heartbreak material IMHO.

This. With so many new players on defense, locker room building will be crucial. We can't afford to gamble on him. We can take a chance on a young player with character issues, but not a premium player like him. Not now, the timing sucks for that.

• 1 month later...