Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Norv Turner for head coach of the Colts? [Merge]

The Lucky Neck Beard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, The Lucky Neck Beard said:

So Norv Turner just bailed out on the Vikings...  you think we make a change at HC over our bye week and pick up Norv?  He has experience coaching with Chud...  thoughts?

Oh, Dear God.....    just shoot me now!      

If we were going to make an OC the HC after firing Pagano, it would more likely be Rob Cghudzinski than Norv Turner.      And at this point neither is going to happen.

Absolutely not. If you know anything of norv turner, he's very square peg/round hole gameplay philosophy, not to mention his philosophy is outdated and doesn't adjust based on personnel. Sound familiar? That being said, this would be stupid to do. 

If if you have any doubts, just go to the Vikings board or reddit where you can see the fans thoughts on him as OC... it's not pretty, at all

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Doesn't appear so. What an odd thing to do, especially considering that they're a pretty decent football team right now.

That's good news.  If it's not working, it's not working.  It happens.  Best of luck to him

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Doesn't appear so. What an odd thing to do, especially considering that they're a pretty decent football team right now.

Look who is interim OC now....

Who was an OC for Bradford in St. Louis rookie year?  Who was OC for Bradford at end of his last season in Philly? 

Norv can't use Sam's talents like Pat can, and Pat may then be able to generate a run game the Vikes must have to be a real threat in January and beyond...

Thing is, The playbook this year will be a mish mash of Norv's and Pat's, just like we had to do last year when Pep was let go, and Chud took over.

Bridgewater is all that is missing IMO.  This season the Vikes were ready.  Is it falling apart?

I was a manager for 22 years and what would have happened if I walked off of my shift and said this is not working.  WOW!!!  

I do think he looks sick, but then again so do I....:)  

28 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

he is Chud Sr.   And they are both outdated.     Throw Arians in there too.  The league has this figured out just like they did the wildcat and Tampa 2 defense

Norv and Chud are stuck in that run first mentality, or at least a down hill running game.  The NFL is now a pass first league.  Manning, Brady, Tom Moore and Shawn Payton have changed it. 

Arians isn't as bad, but he gets his QB killed.  Palmer is about done, that's the Cards main problem right now.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Norv and Chud are stuck in that run first mentality, or at least a down hill running game.  The NFL is now a pass first league.  Manning, Brady, Tom Moore and Shawn Payton have changed it. 

Arians isn't as bad, but he gets his QB killed.  Palmer is about done, that's the Cards main problem right now.

All coaches make adjustments over time.  Norv and Chud did use power run with vertical pass, while Arians switched to Zone Blocking run with Vertical attack.  Chud was supposed to be  switching to ZBS beginning some this year.Dirk Koetter ran pass first vertical pass offense.  Plenty of alterations made to schemes by coaches.  the game plan, and play calls from that game plan are as important as the plays designed.

From skimming thru this thread & digesting the responses, I was stunned to learn that Turner stepped down. I thought Minnesota was the perfect spot for him. Good defense, AP was gonna take a lot of pressure off of Bradford before he got hurt, & Norv is more suited to be an OC not an HC. 

Nah, Turner's name needs to be removed from consideration for INDY's vacancy spot in 2017. He never really dazzled me running the show in San Diego or Oakland personally. 

I don't mind LNB throwing Norv's name out there for feedback. But, I think we all know the rhetorical answer to this question. Next...

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

he is Chud Sr.   And they are both outdated.     Throw Arians in there too.  The league has this figured out just like they did the wildcat and Tampa 2 defense

I think it has more to due with poor state of offensive lines.  They just can't protect consistently for a vertical offense.