Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Norv Turner for head coach of the Colts? [Merge]

The Lucky Neck Beard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no....good OC but questionable head coach. He had immense levels of talent during the 2007-2012 years only to come up short far too often with only 1 AFCCG appearance to show for. They came up short against lesser teams and ended up losing games they were not supposed to during his tenure far too often, I remember.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

He had immense levels of talent during the 2007-2012 years only to come up short far too often with only 1 AFCCG appearance to show for. They came up short against lesser teams and ended up losing games they were not supposed to during his tenure far too often, I remember.

So pretty similar to Tony Dungy. :peek:

On 11/2/2016 at 3:31 PM, achcolts said:

Absolutely not. If you know anything of norv turner, he's very square peg/round hole gameplay philosophy, not to mention his philosophy is outdated and doesn't adjust based on personnel. Sound familiar? That being said, this would be stupid to do. 

If if you have any doubts, just go to the Vikings board or reddit where you can see the fans thoughts on him as OC... it's not pretty, at all

Exactly! Well said (the bolded).

Turner was probably forced out. After last season, Coach Zimmer said he wanted to see some changes to the offense. He hired a former head coach and offensive coordinator, Pat Shurmur, to be the so-called "Tight Ends Coach". All of the fans and reporters who follow the Vikings believed that this season would be Turner's last with the Vikes and that Shurmur would be his eventual replacement.  

For us, this move is not a surprise. His play-calling was predictable and with no creativity. This was long overdue. For a patient and optimistic fan like myself to say that, that says a lot.

On 11/2/2016 at 4:09 PM, BrentMc11 said:

Bridgewater is all that is missing IMO.  This season the Vikes were ready.  Is it falling apart?

I was a manager for 22 years and what would have happened if I walked off of my shift and said this is not working.  WOW!!!  

I do think he looks sick, but then again so do I....:)  

Yep. We miss Teddy. His pocket awareness hid a lot of flaws on that team. Many of us Vikes fans believed Turner set Teddy back with his predictable play-calling. We called it "Run-Run-Pass".  We ran it on first down at least 65% of the time last year. We seemed to run it on most 2nd downs too, leaving us in 3rd and long most times. It was so frustrating.

I thank Norv for his contributions and for pushing the Vikes to draft Teddy, but it was time for a change. 

21 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

So pretty similar to Tony Dungy. :peek:

At least Dungy had 2 AFCCG and 1 SB to show for. I think Norv and the Chargers would have taken that. Norv's biggest wins came against the Colts in the playoffs in 2 consecutive years, and pretty much nothing more.  

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Wouldn't want him as OC either

1 hour ago, krunk said:

To you your own

It's ll preference.  I certainly don't think it's wrong for someone who may be a fan of Zone Blocking and / or West Coast offense principles to shun Norv and his power Blocking vertical Pass attack. Nor vice vesra.

Scheme also depends upon types of players, no matter what a good many people say.  Only the elite of the elite can play all schemes of different systems to a to a top flight level.  Everyone else needs scheme consistency that matches their skill set to maximize their contributions.

43 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's ll preference.  I certainly don't think it's wrong for someone who may be a fan of Zone Blocking and / or West Coast offense principles to shun Norv and his power Blocking vertical Pass attack. Nor vice vesra.

Scheme also depends upon types of players, no matter what a good many people say.  Only the elite of the elite can play all schemes of different systems to a to a top flight level.  Everyone else needs scheme consistency that matches their skill set to maximize their contributions.

I dont,think many offensive lines in today's NFL can pass block consistently for a vertical passing game.

Personally,  I think Norv's offenses in Dallas were the best I have seen.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I dont,think many offensive lines in today's NFL can pass block consistently for a vertical passing game.

I actually agree.  I remember when the Colts had smaller athletic linemen and ran stretch (wide zone) running schemes, with the occasional cut back interior zone run.  Then watch Peyton throw off the play action he perfected. But ost mall of the Colts fans wanted huge road graders to maul their opponents.

Now we switch to Power Block run scheme, get massive, and they have neither the talent (college spread offenses) nor health to run the mano a mano - whip the man in front of you scheme we switched to, and that so many fans seemed to have wanted.  I have the felling other are now starting to get a little riled up about switching to the 3 - 4 from a 4- 3 for similar reasons.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If a person has to go all the way back to Dallas to complement Norv's offensive prowess, that's not good. 

You'd be better off BOTT to bring up his San Diego HC days IMO, but then again...Philip Rivers can make any staff look consistently good week to week as well. 

You can bring him in for an interview fine because I'd be curious to ask him what formations & blocking schemes he would utilize to protect Luck, but hire him as either head coach or OC? No way. 

I've seen the Colts be bad at blocking with zone schemes and man schemes. I've seen the Colts be bad at blocking for a vertical attack. I've seen the Colts for much of last year be bad at blocking for a quick short passing west coast style. We had games last year where hasslebecks passes traveled no longer than 6 yards and he still got his ribs broken. You can be bad at whichever style in my opinion. Saw the Ravens win the Super Bowl just a couple years ago with a vertical passing attack. Saw them in the playoffs just a season or two ago against the Pats with that same Vertical Passing attack. On the flip side I've seen the Pats win a Super Bowl recently against the Seahawks using a short passing attack. But I also watched them lose to the Denver Broncos last year and Brady was hit 20 or more times including sacks using that same short passing attack.

The points where ive seen Vertical schemes have problems is when the team is incapable of running the football. The 90s Cowboys were able to run the football so they didnt have to get out of balance and throw the football a crazy amount of times. Whenever you saw Flacco and the Ravens do well with their Air Coryal they had the capability to balance things out by handing the rock to Ray Rice. Of course your QB is going to get pounded if youre getting out of balance by passing the ball too much. This current Colt team can lessen some of the hits Luck is taking right now if theyd make more use of the ground game. This team is able to run the football and they always choose to not put enough emphasis on it. Their were large holes they paved open for Gore last week, but for some silly reason they thought it was wiser to have Luck stand back their and get smashed for the better part of the game. If you are going to run a Vertical Passing attack you also have to be able to run the football to reduce the amt of times you have to throw deep. That way when you are throwing deep theirs more likelihood somebody will be open because theyve dedicate extra men in the box to stop the run.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If a person has to go all the way back to Dallas to complement Norv's offensive prowess, that's not good. 

You'd be better off BOTT to bring up his San Diego HC days IMO, but then again...Philip Rivers can make any staff look consistently good week to week as well. 

You can bring him in for an interview fine because I'd be curious to ask him what formations & blocking schemes he would utilize to protect Luck, but hire him as either head coach or OC? No way. 

I already stated I wouldn't want him as OC.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'd include The Steelers as another Air Coryal vertical passing team that is very productive. And coincidentally they also have a pretty good ground game which they actually use to balance things out.

....And Ben still seems to get hurt every year.  In a vertical system, especially today, the QB is going to get hit more.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems that way.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

....And Ben still seems to get hurt every year.  In a vertical system, especially today, the QB is going to get hit more.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems that way.

Ben will get hurt in whatever.  He's been in the short passing system before as well. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Not a very good example. Offseason is here, and like I said, he literally just told everyone he will be the coach for 2017. He didn't say he hopes he is, or he thinks he will be. He is..

He also said he plans for him to be the head coach but it will come down to discussions with whoever the next gm is.... If It's anyone beside Jimmy Ray my bet is Pagano will be gone. Irsay wouldn't do that to a new gm.