Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Referee calls

bap1331

10 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

There were 3-4 calls that did not seem correct. They benefitted the chargers including the one at the end when the clock was over. Can anyone clarify if they were correct?

The refs are clearly still distracted......

Too much time spent thinking about Harambee......

19 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Looked more like the refs were interested in keeping the game close than anything else. I saw multiple nonsense calls going either way. 

Im tired of seeing refs impact the game, game in and game out. 

What I find funny is when WR's and CB's always look around at the refs on nearly every single catch and pass deflection, looking for a flag. It's like they just assume the refs are reaching for that laundry now.

48 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

What I find funny is when WR's and CB's always look around at the refs on nearly every single catch and pass deflection, looking for a flag. It's like they just assume the refs are reaching for that laundry now.

I would say the Broncos game was a good indication that it will be a long year watching the refs. You can't deny that things have slowly progressed worse. 

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

That annoys the heck out of me.   It's getting more and more like the NBA players crying after every play.   I hope the NFL can do something about it.   I think some refs let it affect them.   No flag...the players whines and suddenly a flag is thrown.  

7 hours ago, bap1331 said:

There were 3-4 calls that did not seem correct. They benefitted the chargers including the one at the end when the clock was over. Can anyone clarify if they were correct?

I was mystified on the last play as well...from what I have read, the reason it is different is because they had no one back to receive the kick, so we cannot be the first to touch it.  Now, why that is different than any other punt I do not know.  Luckily it didn't cost us, and I enjoyed watching Erik Walden light up Benjamin who was looking to lateral.

The phantom P.I. call on Rogers was completely bogus. Who even threw the flag? A ref 30+ yards away? The side ref that was right there who called Rogers down at the 1 yrd line didn't throw it! 

There was one where T.Y. got mugged by the chargers DB.....never called. 

The Luck "fumble" should've been blown dead long before that happened! 

Maybe they should get some new refs:

Image result for referee meme

17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I thought the OPI call on Chester Rodgers was weak. On replay it didn't look like Chester even touched the defender.Thats about the only penalty that irked me much. We won anyway so it doesn't matter.

Yes, that PI call still sticks in my craw. Looked like a phantom PI call if there ever were one.

9 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Swoope's pass interference turned into defensive pass interference. I thought that was a big break for us.

They were both grabbing each other. Personally I don't think a flag should be thrown if both players are grabbing each other. Makes no sense to flag one of them if the other player was doing the same thing.

12 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I was mystified on the last play as well...from what I have read, the reason it is different is because they had no one back to receive the kick, so we cannot be the first to touch it.  Now, why that is different than any other punt I do not know.  Luckily it didn't cost us, and I enjoyed watching Erik Walden light up Benjamin who was looking to lateral.

That was the reason given? I've been watching football for almost 30 years, I have never seen that one called before. Wierd

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

That was the reason given? I've been watching football for almost 30 years, I have never seen that one called before. Wierd

It is called illegal touching. It is always a penalty when the punting team touches the ball. Because it was the last play of the game the defense can't end on a defensive penalty then there is a free play untuned 

Here is the quote from the rules 

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kicksfromscrimmage

Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching). This foul does not offset any foul by receivers during the down.

11 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

It is called illegal touching. It is always a penalty when the punting team touches the ball. Because it was the last play of the game the defense can't end on a defensive penalty then there is a free play untuned 

Here is the quote from the rules 

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kicksfromscrimmage

Any member of the punting team may down the ball anywhere in the field of play. However, it is illegal touching (Official’s time out and receiver’s ball at spot of illegal touching). This foul does not offset any foul by receivers during the down.

then why have teams been downing punts and swatting them from going into the endzone etc for YEARS? This has never been called for downing a punt before, why now. I just am confused as heck on this.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

then why have teams been downing punts and swatting them from going into the endzone etc for YEARS? This has never been called for downing a punt before, why now. I just am confused as heck on this.

strange rule.

you don't see it called because there is no yardage penalty that goes with it

it only matters at the very end of the game

I did not get too worked up in the Charger game.  I did throw up my hands a couple of times. :)  

I had not said anything about the Denver game.  To let the best defense in the league hold on virtually EVERY pass play was a disgrace. Talib is a thug and he was holding all game long...Chris Harris??  OK..I am done. :bossy::sip:

Edited by BrentMc11
Spelling and word choice