Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Dallas Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

I’ve been checked out since we fired Reich.  I’m looking forward to the off season.

good:

- JT actually played well but once Dallas said enough, that was pretty much it for the game.

- Alec Pierce and the receivers look promising.  Wonder how they’d look with a better qb 

- this loss put us in the top 10 for picks

bad:

- 4th quarter defense:  35 points in one quarter.  I don’t know if this was because they were gassed or what, but to play ok for 3qtrs and then just absolutely collapse in the 4th is just down right bad.

- no use of jelani woods: I don’t get it.  We’d rather put granson on the outside than to use woods who has showed when utilized he produces.  Woods should be the catching TE.  Mo should be the blocking tight end.

- Matt Ryan:  I’ve already eaten crow about Ryan this year.  But wow, he’s done.  
- offensive line:  just bad once again.  Ryan Kelly needs to be released. 
- run defense: basically got punked.  

oh, and Ballard should not be here next year.  

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to watch the game this morning. Wish I hadn’t. 

I don’t know about Ryan. Sit him and save some money on the cap next season and “risk” Foles somehow getting this turd of an offense going. OR play him and risk the cap hit for a better draft pick. 

Looking forward to the offseason. There’s A LOT to do for whoever’s our GM. I don’t buy it when people say we’re only a few pieces away. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Got to watch the game this morning. Wish I hadn’t. 

I don’t know about Ryan. Sit him and save some money on the cap next season and “risk” Foles somehow getting this turd of an offense going. OR play him and risk the cap hit for a better draft pick. 

Looking forward to the offseason. There’s A LOT to do for whoever’s our GM. I don’t buy it when people say we’re only a few pieces away. 

Leave Ryan and Foles on the bench and play Sam.  

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz wasn't the answer either so get over it. I was wrong about Matt Ryan, at least I can admit it. Admit you were wrong about Wentz who choked away a golden opportunity last year at 9-6. Then we can call it even. Wentz is now been replaced by Taylor in Washington, he is not even a starter anymore. Matt is just old but still is a Hall of Famer at least. Wentz flat out stinks and his career is about over and he is still young. Sam stinks too and so did Eason. We need to draft a QB, just reality and truth.

You were wrong about everything for the last three years.  Own it.  

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Sometimes the nicest guys have no clue how to play football at the highest level. Likewise, you can be a jerk, and be supremely talented in the NFL. There's a balancing act in drafting them. I think Ballard was too extreme toward one side.

Cowboys drafted Sam Williams and he looks to be a stud.  Pitts drafted Pickens and he looks to be a stud.  Draft any character guys if they can play.  Remember that is why Tareek Hill dropped to 5. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

When Jeff came, the priority was to evaluate. 

Any improvement is a bonus. 

Nothing changes. Need to still evaluate, and seek improvement (especially rooks and young). 

Figure out who is keeper, and figure out cuts and trades. That includes coaches and FO too. 

We have 4 weeks to do that. 

I fully agree with your statement, but I do wonder, if Saturday's priority is to evaluate?

Saturday said he's being judged (as head coach) by wins and losses.

So far, it's seems he is determined to just roll with Matt Ryan.

and should he not make position changes, during these next games, how will they ever know if these young players have what it takes?

It will be very interesting, with the bye week next, and then the remaining games, if Saturday shakes up the lineup? And give some more playing time to different players?

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I fully agree with your statement, but I do wonder, if Saturday's priority is to evaluate?

Saturday said he's being judged (as head coach) by wins and losses.

So far, it's seems he is determined to just roll with Matt Ryan.

and should he not make position changes, during these next games, how will they ever know if these young players have what it takes?

It will be very interesting, with the bye week next, and then the remaining games, if Saturday shakes up the lineup? And give some more playing time to different players?

Any player whose ability isn't known should be on the field in the remaining games.  That includes Sam.  

1 hour ago, krunk said:

No more quarterback recommendations from Peyton. Lol! He thought Ryan to Indy was a good deal as well. Im kidding of course, well sort of i guess.....

That is because Peyton saw his 2015 fading versions in Ryan lol :) just that there was no elite D assembled around to not expose the weaknesses in the throwing.

But Peyton for the most part helped out the O-line far more than Ryan has with blitz recognition and sliding protection even as his arm was fading. Heck even Rivers did it better. 

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I’ve been checked out since we fired Reich.  I’m looking forward to the off season.

good:

- JT actually played well but once Dallas said enough, that was pretty much it for the game.

- Alec Pierce and the receivers look promising.  Wonder how they’d look with a better qb 

- this loss put us in the top 10 for picks

bad:

- 4th quarter defense:  35 points in one quarter.  I don’t know if this was because they were gassed or what, but to play ok for 3qtrs and then just absolutely collapse in the 4th is just down right bad.

- no use of jelani woods: I don’t get it.  We’d rather put granson on the outside than to use woods who has showed when utilized he produces.  Woods should be the catching TE.  Mo should be the blocking tight end.

- Matt Ryan:  I’ve already eaten crow about Ryan this year.  But wow, he’s done.  
- offensive line:  just bad once again.  Ryan Kelly needs to be released. 
- run defense: basically got punked.  

oh, and Ballard should not be here next year.  

People  got to stop giving this D a  break. It came against a legit O from thr 1st time and got punked. The talent on this team is not good. I said a total rebuild and people are like no.  God I hate being so right for the  last few years.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

People  got to stop giving this D a  break. It came against a legit O from thr 1st time and got punked. The talent on this team is not good. I said a total rebuild and people are like no.  God I hate being so right for the  last few years.

Don't lie. You don't hate it at all lol. You love being able to say I told you so even if you're only partially right.

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Anyone who thinks Ryan is HOF worthy or close to Wentz should have their forum privilges removed until next year.  

That was embarrasing display of ineptitude

Saturday is showing Irsay that Ryan is way worse than Wentz. Looks pretty obvious that Wentz was not the big problem last year. 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

A few of us know that the defenses statistics have always been determined by the opponents offense needing to turn on the gas or not.  When they don't have to because of our inept offense, the opponent's offense plays conservative.

Like in this Dallas game when the offense shows some spark, the opponent then takes the situation more seriously.  Dallas did not come out ready to play, but once they got down 10-7. they scored and never relinquished the lead.  We failed to convert a two point conversion and the Dallas goes right down the field and answers with a TD.   

That's exactly what happened in BUF play off game three seasons ago.  The defense never seems to get a stop when it matters, or even gets a sack when it matters.

8 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

We need to draft a qb and bring in Jim Harbaugh.

I'm all for that - Harbaugh won with the same SF players that Singletary couldn't, and had they just ran the ball once with either Kaepernick or Gore from inside the 5 on that final drive, they probably win Superbowl XLVII.

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Saturday is showing Irsay that Ryan is way worse than Wentz. Looks pretty obvious that Wentz was not the big problem last year. 

Yes, Wentz was the problem last year.  He is the reason we did not make the playoffs.  It was good coaching that got us close and finished with a winning record.

Yes, Ryan is worse than Wentz.  Good coaching got us to .500 with Ryan, but we will not finish the season even close to .500 now.

14 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We need a competent GM and since you have no experience, you'd be perfect for the job. Please apply ASAP. 

Just now, DougDew said:

Yes, Wentz was the problem last year.  He is the reason we did not make the playoffs.  It was good coaching that got us close and finished with a winning record.

Yes, Ryan is worse than Wentz.  Good coaching got us to .500 with Ryan, but we will not finish the season even close to .500.

Yes. Wentz is/was A problem. The dude lost his job AGAIN on a different team. 

Also Matt Ryan is not very good. But the oline isn't helping him .

Matt Ryan sucks

Colts suck

Wentz still sucks lol

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jeff was asked whether Foles starts after the bye. He didn’t really answer the question.

IMO, if keeping Sam on the roster next season even as a backup is even a consideration, then he need to play a little more this season.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

A few of us know that the defenses statistics have always been determined by the opponents offense needing to turn on the gas or not.  When they don't have to because of our inept offense, the opponent's offense plays conservative.

Like in this Dallas game when the offense shows some spark, the opponent then takes the situation more seriously.  Dallas did not come out ready to play, but once they got down 10-7. they scored and never relinquished the lead.  We failed to convert a two point conversion and the Dallas goes right down the field and answers with a TD.   

That's exactly what happened in BUF play off game three seasons ago.

It has been a mixed bag. No D is perfect. If anything, the talent on the defensive side is better than the offensive side, IMO.

We do hold better at home but when push comes to shove, since our pass rush doesn't generate turnovers nearly as much in the form of fumbles, and since we don't blitz, our secondary's coverage has to keep us in games. That is definitely a shortage of talent when push comes to shove on the pass rushing front. Nowadays, with rules favoring offenses, you have to be able to score in the high 20s consistently to match the best offenses in the league. We don't need to anoint them but we do have to acknowledge the fact that the D has kept us in games far more than the O has, thanks to the O's ineptitude.

The Colts' D relies on 3rd down stops and few turnovers to flip field position. Eventually something had to give. We did better at home vs the Chiefs and Eagles but more times than not, don't play complementary football enough to avoid short fields or make stops when we really really have to. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but Polian would do the samething and no one cared.  What’s the difference?  Polian was winning.  That’s what I think the real issue/thing that’s really frustrating people, not so much that they have roster of high character guys.

The issue is he’s overly infatuated with character to the point where he’s drafting higher character guys over better players and it doesn’t translate to the field. I mean his overvaluing of other traits like athleticism and arm lengths, also play a part into his draft picks, but the character thing is just silly. Ben Banogu is a character guy and what has he done for the team besides heat the bench up for the starters? 

6 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I just hope they bench Matt Ryan so the next game is a little more interesting, 

I'd only do that if we are going to cut bait with him this offseason - if it comes to that, Ballard has to go too. If we expect Matt to play if our rookie QB isn't ready to start Week 1, then I wouldn't humiliate him by benching him twice this season, once apiece under each Head Coach. That would be akin to blaming him for all of this teams offensive struggles and although he warrants his share of the blame, there's plenty of that to be spread around.

It's not a ringing endorsement for Nick Foles that he can't even see the field under these circumstances, or it could just be Saturday's inexperience because most coaches would've probably had Foles in for the final few series, especially once the game got out of reach.

I’m not going to blame the defense on this one. In the ultimate team sport the offense has hung the D out to dry every game. 5 turnovers…. 5. One of which was a pic 6. How many in our own territory. And we are going to blame the D? 

offense needs some major pieces. 

the major problem being below average QB. No QB on this team is average or better. It was disgusting to watch this team. 

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The issue is he’s overly infatuated with character to the point where he’s drafting higher character guys over better players and it doesn’t translate to the field. I mean his overvaluing of other traits like athleticism and arm lengths, also play a part into his draft picks, but the character thing is just silly. Ben Banogu is a character guy and what has he done for the team besides heat the bench up for the starters? 

The main difference was Polian drafted guys that could jump out of a gym too but they were "football players with production" and he wouldn't have passed A J Brown and Deebo Samuel to give us a Ben Banogu, IMO.

Ballard definitely has his lion's share of the mess we are in. 

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It has been a mixed bag. No D is perfect. If anything, the talent on the defensive side is better than the offensive side, IMO.

We do hold better at home but when push comes to shove, since our pass rush doesn't generate turnovers nearly as much in the form of fumbles, and since we don't blitz, our secondary's coverage has to keep us in games. That is definitely a shortage of talent when push comes to shove on the pass rushing front. Nowadays, with rules favoring offenses, you have to be able to score in the high 20s consistently to match the best offenses in the league. We don't need to anoint them but we do have to acknowledge the fact that the D has kept us in games far more than the O has, thanks to the O's ineptitude.

The Colts' D relies on 3rd down stops and few turnovers to flip field position. Eventually something had to give. We did better at home vs the Chiefs and Eagles but more times than not, don't play complementary football enough to avoid short fields or make stops when we really really have to. 

The D is better than the O, no doubt.  Better talent and better use of talent, IMO. 

But the D has never been a playoff caliber D, when many thought so and assumed that the limitation of the team was caused by offense's play calling.  The team has simply never been good enough to be thought of as playoff quality.

Yes, we had turnovers last night, but the D also gave up 5 touchdowns.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The D is better than the O, no doubt.  Better talent and better use of talent, IMO. 

But the D has never been a playoff caliber D, when many thought so and assumed that the limitation of the team was caused by offense's play calling.  The team has simply never been good enough to be thought of as playoff quality.

If we had a playoff caliber O, our D would have complemented well enough to stop the likes of teams not led by Mahomes, Burrow and Allen. Playoff caliber to be a wild card team's D, yes. Playoff caliber to be a SB contending D, no. All assuming a competent offense that puts up points in the mid to high 20s consistently.

That is the distinction I wanted to point out. 

The O on the other hand, bottom 5 cellar dweller type right now.

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Ryan shouldn't see the field for the rest of the season, keep him inactive and let Foles or Sam play

Totally agree. Why not at this point? I would see what Foles has to offer.

Oh yeah..and my post game thoughts. Did not waste my  staying up late for this one. Saw the score this AM and thought it was  the final of Alabama vs some directional school from South Dakota earlier this fall.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The d with a competent offense is good enough for a playoff run. 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we had a playoff caliber O, our D would have complemented well enough to stop the likes of teams not led by Mahomes, Burrow and Allen. Playoff caliber to be a wild card team's D, yes. Playoff caliber to be a SB contending D, no. All assuming a competent offense that puts up points in the mid to high 20s consistently.

That is the distinction I wanted to point out. 

The O on the other hand, bottom 5 cellar dweller type right now.

A matter of opinion.  I don't think the defense is good enough to win consistently against TEN, MIA, JETS, BAL that it would take to get into the playoffs this year.   Not enough of a pass rush.  Still suspect against offenses that have balanced attacks, like DAL.   Even PIT.

The offense has been held together with safety pins for years.  Last year we caught teams off guard with JT mid season...bracketed by horrible performances in the beginning and the end of the season.

Archived