Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Dallas Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

38 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Good point... but it seems both of those issues (for keeping Ryan in at qb) are mainly about the Colts "saving face" 

I would hope they could put their egos and pride aside and move forward.

I think there is a certain amount of conformity, seniority, and traditional processes that influence decisions in the NFL.  I think that benching a long time vet like Ryan for a 6th rounder that nobody thinks should be in the NFL (even though they are wrong) tends to look embarrassing for Ryan.   I can see where they might think that it would not be attractive to other vets who might want to sign here.

I hope that Jeff benches him and goes with Sam, but I think they just let Ryan embarrass himself and he exits quietly at the end of the season.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ryan as Irsay's all-in QB? Don't see how you get there from here. Bye

And he has to be cut before FA, far before the draft. That is a sign.

To me, he might be talked into a J Love trade. But i would estimate 9 to 1 we are drafting our next QB. 

I see LT Skoronski rated 7th by PFF. Raimann at RT would give us at least 4 horseman. lol

Skoronski is listed at played LT, but he has an NFL G body type.  If Ballard takes another G body type at pick 7, well, I don't know what to say.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bean "the glass is mostly empty" joined other dips judging the team just as they were getting started.
With all of our youth, many new players, a new DC, how pathetic of a knowledgeable FAN is one to go negative that early on THEIR Team knowing that each season is a work in progress to reach your potential.
 We were generally thought to be close to .500, in a weak division, slightly above if things went well, maybe below if they didn't.
 Welcome to the NFL Super Bowl Champ Rams. 

It's remarkable that even now you are calling me a dip for seeing the glass as less full before the season started -- and I don't care what was generally thought; why would I have commented based on what was generally thought rather than my own thoughts? Despite the media and homer fan narrative, it seemed obvious in camp and preseason that the team had some troubling deficiencies consistent with the bad finish to the previous season.  This sentence of yours -- With all of our youth, many new players, a new DC, how pathetic of a knowledgeable FAN is one to go negative that early on THEIR Team knowing that each season is a work in progress to reach your potential. -- is particularly ridiculous given that the mix of youth, new players and returning players has turned out to be a recipe for a rebuild. The idea that one can't be critical of a team -- or positive about a team - until waiting for the work in progress to unfold doesn't make any sense. 

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

...I think so too

Back in the day. Jeff Saturday was a 14 year vet with declining skills who was still starting in the NFL.  Not sure how he would have felt about a C like AQ Shipley replacing him in the last 4 games of a lost season. 

Saturday may be thinking about this like a former player and not a GM or long term HC who wants to see what is Qb has.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Back in the day. Jeff Saturday was a 14 year vet with declining skills who was still starting in the NFL.  Not sure how he would have felt about a C like AQ Shipley replacing him in the last 4 games of a lost season. 

Saturday may be thinking about this like a former player and not a GM or long term HC who wants to see what is Qb has.

Very good comment. Unfortunately, that probably is the case.

...and not only in regards to Matt Ryan, but almost certainly for Ryan Kelly as well

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I would think, the Colts have seen enough of Ryan, that they would have to believe he is not the answer for next season.

So to simply "roll with him" the rest of this year would prevent them from evaluating either Sam or Foles as a possibility to sick around next season (at least as the backup)...

And after only playing in two games, it seems Sam is simply considered as a bum.

...as I recall, he played pretty well in his first outing against Washington, which we could have won, but our defense allowed Taylor Heinicke to march down the field for the game winning score.

Then Ehlinger had an awful game vs NE... but our entire team (and especially our O-line) was so atrocious in that game, that even if Dan Marino was our qb... he would have struggled.

I believe Ehlinger should be given another opportunity.

Look at SF... they threw their rookie qb Brock Purdy (Mr Irrelevant) out there and he looks great.

I think all three QBs are known quantities at this point. Focusing on QB2, reduces the ability to eval the rest of the offense. What is more important, QB2 or O skill guys.  Personally I don't care much about QB2 (in general). Foles couldn't win the QB2 spot in Chicago. And Sam has a limited ceiling. Foles was likely a push from Frank. I'm good with rolling Sam as QB2 (cheap) next year, or finding someone new. But regardless, Sam is simply not a starter. Anyone watched him in college, knows he's a great kid, hard worker, etc... but doesn't have a ceiling. 

I like Purdy. But he's similar to Sam. Just lower ceiling. Probably a higher ceiling than Sam. But the difference is,,,, SF's O roster is much better. Elite LT (really 2 great Ts), and solid iOL. Then Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittles, Jennings, and McCaffery... So the situation if very very different. Heck, if you put Ryan on SF, Ryan probably looks good. Most QBs would. And of course, great O coach.. 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:41 AM, DougDew said:

The talent isn't good enough.  Almost there, but there is still not one player that makes an offense think twice about.  A bunch of good players who do their jobs pretty well.

So u extend Pittman andTaylor?  I am not sure bout Taylor but I am out on Pittman

56 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So u extend Pittman andTaylor?  I am not sure bout Taylor but I am out on Pittman

I think it’s unfair to judge Pittman with the quarterback issues. He has not had consistant QB play and still probably going to have 2 1k yard seasons. We will see if he falls short this year. He might with this messy offense. But even as bad as this offense is he still might get that.

Archived