Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Dallas Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

As an ex running back, I loved under center plays. Gave me a chance to get to full speed by the time I was handed the ball. I could see the defense better as well, could make an adjustment on the fly quicker if needed. 

I just don’t understand when you’ve got JT as your main playmaker, why make it harder on him?

Most likely Ryan can’t handle the ball directly from the center anymore.

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Rumors are heating up.

Colts cut Ryan and pick up Mayfield.

Ryan reunites with Shanahan in SF.

SF is a playoff caliber team. If they pick up Ryan they might as well kiss their playoff chances goodbye. After last night no one is going to want him. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

God I love that movie. All time favorite. Quote it nearly everyday with the students. Good luck the next two weeks, we’re in the homestretch.

To sum the state of the Colts:

Where's the Tylenol (or insert stronger substance here)?

25 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

SF is a playoff caliber team. If they pick up Ryan they might as well kiss their playoff chances goodbye. After last night no one is going to want him. 

But Jimmy G broke his foot.

so it’s either the last pick of the draft this year, or some QB not already on the team.

3 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

But Jimmy G broke his foot.

so it’s either the last pick of the draft this year, or some QB not already on the team.

They’ll either roll with Lance or draft someone in the 2nd round if we’re talking about next year. The Colts should serve as a lesson to other teams on getting an aging vet such as Ryan. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

They’ll either roll with Lance or draft someone in the 2nd round if we’re talking about next year. The Colts should serve as a lesson to other teams on getting an aging vet such as Ryan. 

I think they mean for the rest of the season, since they are a playoff team & possible Super Bowl contender.

I’m just not sure what the plan would be since trade deadline has passed? Cut Ryan out right and nobody else claim him so SF can?

Seems like just people talking.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I’m as close to a die-hard Ballard supporter as there is.   But if the Colts suddenly won two games I 100 percent would NOT say I told you so.   And I’d like to think there’s no other Ballard supporter would dare say it as well.  

This is Ballard’s worst season — BY FAR — so there’s nothing to feel good about except maybe getting a top-10 pick in the draft.   But that’s it. 

I do think we win 2 more games, upset someone and beat the woeful Texans last week. I hope not of course because it.severly.damages our.draft position but I think it's probable.

But I'm not going to judge Ballard on the record of the final 4 games or our '22 record. I judge it that going forward our OL, especially LT position has been awful the last 2 seasons has to addressed..The OL in general is ranked near the bottom for.two.syraight.seasons despite being yhe highest paid.The QB position has to fixed and that's A hard position & expensive one(Draft capital) to even try to. A lot of resources spent on pass rushers but still no one dominant. Still No #1 game changing, play making WR like Lamb, Chase etc. ....all these are Premium Positions and regardless who the GM is in '24 has a lot of difficult holes to fill. 

If Ballard does leave, he's not leaving his successor in very good shape. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

A matter of opinion.  I don't think the defense is good enough to win consistently against TEN, MIA, JETS, BAL that it would take to get into the playoffs this year.   Not enough of a pass rush.  Still suspect against offenses that have balanced attacks, like DAL.   Even PIT.

The offense has been held together with safety pins for years.  Last year we caught teams off guard with JT mid season...bracketed by horrible performances in the beginning and the end of the season.

I would disagree, honestly I feel this defense is good enough to win a super bowl. The problem is that they are always on the field, so by the time the 4th quarter hits they are gassed and the league lead in turnovers gives opposing offenses short fields. They are still one of the best at creating 3 and outs though and have kept most teams under 20 points. 

I bet we see more games like the Cowboys game though because the season fatigue is gonna hit and they can only carry the offense so long

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sometimes when it comes to the Colts I do think with my heart but If I bet I don't. I clearly posted in here that Dallas would stomp us and that I was wrong about Matt Ryan before the game last night. For some reason the people that just want to pile on me don't read when I post stuff like that. When we traded for Wentz, I hated it and posted that was a big mistake but yet I have blue glasses on all the time. I also said we would be good with Rivers - was I wrong there? Whatever. 

Sometimes it hard to keep track of every one’s opinions. So many posters on here people remember some of them .  So opinions are made from a couple posts that stand out .  I remember you weren’t sold on wentz . 

From the game

1) Ryan has no zip on the ball  ......  Its sad

Not sure why the Colts FO didt have him in for a few throws before they signed him

Win NOW.......  is a problem......  Need the RIGHT QB to develop, and let it happen

2) Sam E, didnt dress, and I didnt see him on the sideline

I think he is done as a Colt (He isnt an NFL player)

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I would disagree, honestly I feel this defense is good enough to win a super bowl. The problem is that they are always on the field, so by the time the 4th quarter hits they are gassed and the league lead in turnovers gives opposing offenses short fields. They are still one of the best at creating 3 and outs though and have kept most teams under 20 points. 

I bet we see more games like the Cowboys game though because the season fatigue is gonna hit and they can only carry the offense so long

There are actually 8 playoff teams in playoff position right now with worse TOP than us and 6 with more.   We are middle of the pack there.  19th and the difference between 19th and 8th is less than a minute.  So the idea that our D is on the field too much is not based in statistical reality.

Our D has been hurt by TOs of course, of that there is no doubt, but as far as fatigue, that's not really statistically supported.

22 minutes ago, Nickster said:

There are actually 8 playoff teams in playoff position right now with worse TOP than us and 6 with more.   We are middle of the pack there.  19th and the difference between 19th and 8th is less than a minute.  So the idea that our D is on the field too much is not based in statistical reality.

Our D has been hurt by TOs of course, of that there is no doubt, but as far as fatigue, that's not really statistically supported.

Its hurt by TOs in terms of giving up points, but not so much as to giving up yards.   We'd have to look at the number of possessions the opponent has been getting, but if the possessions are average, but they get the ball on a short field because of a TO, then the defense actually gives up fewer total yards despite not being very good.

My sense is that our offense does not go three and out a whole lot.....it accumulates sufficient time of possession...so the number of possessions the opponent has is pretty average....but if they get two or three possessions a game on a short field, that elevates our Ds ranking in terms of fewer yards being given up.

1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

I think they mean for the rest of the season, since they are a playoff team & possible Super Bowl contender.

I’m just not sure what the plan would be since trade deadline has passed? Cut Ryan out right and nobody else claim him so SF can?

Seems like just people talking.

Yeah they can’t do much at the moment. Maybe call up Cam? Sign someone off a practice squad?

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah they can’t do much at the moment. Maybe call up Cam? Sign someone off a practice squad?

Actually, it just hit me, but I don’t  think Ryan has to go through waivers due to his years in the league.

Still though, seems far fetched.

Just now, King Colt said:

Those short, short passes against Dallas were ridiculous in terms of success. It was like Dallas had their playbook. The new play caller needs to be fired.

It's been like that all season. The offense is so limited and predictable. And I am actually surprised that it would work against any team.

23 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Those short, short passes against Dallas were ridiculous in terms of success. It was like Dallas had their playbook. The new play caller needs to be fired.

The new play caller is basically all they have. The others with experience declined to call plays… what we see is what we’ll get until this wreck of a season finally ends. 

I loved the way the Cowboys always put Lamb in motion to make sure he gets a free release.  We should be doing that more with Campbell.  I think he’s a keeper that should be resigned.  He could really breakout with a good OC.  I hated losing Hooker.  I thought that was a mistake.  I hope we don’t make the same mistake with Campbell.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

From the eye test it looks like Rainmann had a pretty good game yesterday. Put in some off season weight and maybe he has a good chance at being the future LT.

That’s why I’ve been saying you have to let him play when people were complaining and wanting him benched.  He has to learn and the only way you learn is to play.  There will be growing pains but that’s part of breaking in a young player.  

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

JMV has a good point. If Irsay really wanted to Saturday to be the head coach he should never had fired Reich mid season. Because now you can’t really bring back Saturday next year because he won’t have a clean slate next season.

I'm gonna say it again.  And I know that it's not a popular opinion.

All of the radio guys and pundits and writers keep trying to make sense of Jim Irsay's decisions.  Like somehow there's got to be some kind of master strategy behind it all.  Somehow it all makes sense.

It doesn't make sense.

His decisions have been erratic and irrational.  They look like they don't fit together -- because they don't fit together.

I think he's losing it.  Again, I know this sounds insensitive, but every time he speaks, it sounds like he'd just had a stroke ten minutes before.  His speech sounds slurred.  His comments are long, run-on, and wandering, full of platitudes and generalities, and lacking definition or thought.  His induction of Tarik Glenn was maddening.  His comments during MNF were mind numbing.

I don't think he's got it all together anymore.  There is no master plan.  There's just erratic demands.

I could be wrong.  But that's what I see.

4 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I know the knee jerk reaction is to blame Saturday who's been here a few games or Ryan who's been here half a season.

No one is blaming Saturday, right? If so, they're crazy. And while I think Ryan is toast and a big part of the problem on Sundays, this isn't his fault, either.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I loved the way the Cowboys always put Lamb in motion to make sure he gets a free release.  We should be doing that more with Campbell.  I think he’s a keeper that should be resigned.  He could really breakout with a good OC.  I hated losing Hooker.  I thought that was a mistake.  I hope we don’t make the same mistake with Campbell.

Unfortuanly I doubt Parris is going to be back. I bet he wants to go to a better situation. He was one player that had trade requests before the deadline. I am going to miss him. It’s been fun seeing him stay healthy this season. You are right we don’t use Parris right.

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

The defense is lacking in pass rush and creating turnovers, and I think that's a recipe for failure, especially against good offenses. 

But the defense is also being undermined by the offense. Not sustaining drives, or turning the ball over, these are bad situations for the defense to take over. 

The offense is bottom eight in first downs per play, offensive TDs per game, yards per play, we're bottom three in INTs per game, worst in fumbles lost per game, and we're worst in total turnovers and turnover differential. Remarkably, we're middle of the pack in time of possession, but we still lose TOP (29:34 on average). Somehow we won TOP last night, but if you looked up TOP in opponent's territory, I bet we lost that dramatically. 

So while I think our defense is probably not all that great -- strongly above average, probably top ten by a number metrics, but nowhere near elite -- it's also very true that the offense is making everything a lot harder on the defense. And if we had any kind of hope for sustained offensive production, it would probably be a dramatic lift for the defense that would show up statistically. Sadly, that's probably not in the cards this season.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another great game for Raimann... Now we need the rest of the OL to start playing to their potential/pay.

I'm still concerned about his arm length against longer pass rushers, but an offseason in the strength program and a dozen games under his belt, and he should be ready to go next season.

4 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Colts cut Ryan and pick up Mayfield.

I dont think the colts would gain anything if they cut Matt now. 

We could have had Baker in the offseason and passed.  Then he got cut from a bad team in desperate need of a qb.  Dont see why we would want him now

Just now, Superman said:

I'm still concerned about his arm length against longer pass rushers, but an offseason in the strength program and a dozen games under his belt, and he should be ready to go next season.

Yeah, an off-season in the S&C, and just the game slowing down for him in general from Y1 to Y2 should go a very, very long way for Raimann. I’m definitely eager to see his game a year from now. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree.

I'm amused whenever we have a new player that puts together a string of games where they "don't suck", and all of the sudden they're Orlando Pace.  He's not.  He's a third round pick for a reason.

I'm not saying he sucks.  I'm saying that more than likely he'll never be better than "adequate".  And we shouldn't stop trying to find someone better.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

The defense is lacking in pass rush and creating turnovers, and I think that's a recipe for failure, especially against good offenses. 

But the defense is also being undermined by the offense. Not sustaining drives, or turning the ball over, these are bad situations for the defense to take over. 

The offense is bottom eight in first downs per play, offensive TDs per game, yards per play, we're bottom three in INTs per game, worst in fumbles lost per game, and we're worst in total turnovers and turnover differential. Remarkably, we're middle of the pack in time of possession, but we still lose TOP (29:34 on average). Somehow we won TOP last night, but if you looked up TOP in opponent's territory, I bet we lost that dramatically. 

So while I think our defense is probably not all that great -- strongly above average, probably top ten by a number metrics, but nowhere near elite -- it's also very true that the offense is making everything a lot harder on the defense. And if we had any kind of hope for sustained offensive production, it would probably be a dramatic lift for the defense that would show up statistically. Sadly, that's probably not in the cards this season.

We are definitely missing Leonard and Paye when it comes to turnovers and pressures but I don't think you need a top 5 defense if they can be in the 12-10 range I think that is good enough. Last year our defense got a ton of turnovers but it was almost like we either get a turnover or the opposing team scores, I would much prefer this years Defense where they don't get much turnovers but hold teams to figs or 3 and outs.

That all being said most of the season we have been playing from behind which makes it harder to get turnovers because the teams aren't forced to try to catch up on the score board which has helped our defense look better in the sense of yardage but also less opportunities for turnovers

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree.

I'm amused whenever we have a new player that puts together a string of games where they "don't suck", and all of the sudden they're Orlando Pace.  He's not.  He's a third round pick for a reason.

I'm not saying he sucks.  I'm saying that more than likely he'll never be better than "adequate".  And we shouldn't stop trying to find someone better.

The bolded isn't really going out on a limb. That's probably true of every young prospect. I also agree that we shouldn't stop trying to find someone better, but I don't think we need to force it just because everyone is mad that the OL sucks all of a sudden. There a lot of 'better than adequate' tackles drafted after the first round.

I'm more amused by the thinking that it's impossible to fix the OL without devoting massive resources to it. I'm way more concerned with whether Ballard can draft good pass rushers, whether he can compete with creative cap managers, and of course whether he can draft a good QB and hire a good HC. And that's assuming he sticks around after this season.

Archived