Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Dallas Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but Polian would do the samething and no one cared.  What’s the difference?  Polian was winning.  That’s what I think the real issue/thing that’s really frustrating people, not so much that they have roster of high character guys.

Yep, if Wentz would have paid off (using him as the example because he was the youngest band-aid QB after Luck), people would have been praising Ballard and saying how great of a GM he is, and how his methods work. It's amazing how when Luck retired, Ballard got completely exposed as a GM in due time. He did it to himself with his stubbornness. The high character guys may have not got in trouble with the law, but they didn't succeed any more than other players on average who Ballard didn't put on their level character-wise.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The more I look at this team the more I see just how badly they are and were coached.  I know this will come off as 20/20 hindsight but I remember during the off-season having my eyebrows raised by how many first time coaches and former players they were bringing in.  I talked myself into ignoring it but I really think this coaching staff is bad. 

The defensive staff is pretty seasoned. I'm not a big fan of Gus Bradley but the defense has done their job for the most part.

Not the same story on offense, but a lot of the guys were coming up the pipeline. And of course second guessing the Reggie hire was treated derisively.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Seems contradictory to me. Aren't you saying you want to see Saturday evaluated without Matt Ryan on the field? Or did I misunderstand?

I’d definitely like to see Saturday with a better QB, but ultimately I don’t think it would matter. Could he win with a Peyton Manning? Absolutely. Could he develop a Justin Fields into a winner? 

I still don’t love the way the offense is orchestrated. It’s like frank is still here. Woods had a huge game last week, did he even have a catch this week? Running on first down like clockwork was an issue again tonight. I just think we need a totally fresh start. Other than finally running some stretch plays with Taylor what has really changed offensively since Saturday took over?

It’ll make due for the rest of this season, but it doesn’t seem like it’s a long-term answer to me. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

I’d definitely like to see Saturday with a better QB, but ultimately I don’t think it would matter. Could he win with a Peyton Manning? Absolutely. Could he develop a Justin Fields into a winner? 

I still don’t love the way the offense is orchestrated. It’s like frank is still here. Woods had a huge game last week, did he even have a catch this week? Running on first down like clockwork was an issue again tonight. I just think we need a totally fresh start. Other than finally running some stretch plays with Taylor what has really changed offensively since Saturday took over?

It’ll make due for the rest of this season, but it doesn’t seem like it’s a long-term answer to me. 

Let’s be real firing a coach halfway through season sad not going to change anything.

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

He had a couple catches in the 4th

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just want this season to end to see what happens this off season. 

Agreed. I generally just care about my fantasy leagues to finish the year and my best ball leagues on fanduel and draftkings. At this point, I just want to win some money more than watch the Colts play. This team is horrendous right now on offense, and I feel terrible for the defense.

I'm curious too what will happen after the season is over. Will Dodds or Brown be promoted? Will we get someone from another organization? Will we get Jim Harbaugh? Will we draft a QB in the first round? Lots of stuff to figure out.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah but Polian would do the samething and no one cared.  What’s the difference?  Polian was winning.  That’s what I think the real issue/thing that’s really frustrating people, not so much that they have roster of high character guys.

That may be true. You’re right — Winning cures everything. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

The defensive staff is pretty seasoned. I'm not a big fan of Gus Bradley but the defense has done their job for the most part.

Not the same story on offense, but a lot of the guys were coming up the pipeline. And of course second guessing the Reggie hire was treated derisively.

Am I misunderstanding something you wrote here?    People second guessed the Reggie hire?    Or did you mean to write the Saturday hire?   

When Jeff came, the priority was to evaluate. 

Any improvement is a bonus. 

Nothing changes. Need to still evaluate, and seek improvement (especially rooks and young). 

Figure out who is keeper, and figure out cuts and trades. That includes coaches and FO too. 

We have 4 weeks to do that. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

I don't think it would matter either. But Saturday is in a terrible situation. We have an offense with no answers, and we fired the architect of the entire unit (deservedly, IMO), and his 2nd in command (also deservedly). Then we brought in a guy to run the entire show who hasn't been working with the staff every day, and bumped up an assistant with little experience and assigned him game day play calling duties. It's a no-win situation.

I thought maybe Saturday's attention and presence would spark something for the team, and maybe it did at first. But seeing how things went tonight, I think that's a bust. At least we scored on the first possession?

The offense isn't going to get better until we have better QBing, better OL play, and better coaching. You said it'll make due for the rest of the season, I kind of doubt that. But I guess there's nothing to be done about it right now.

Last thing, running on first down is an overblown complaint, usually. It was a real problem tonight though.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That has to go down as the most embarrassing loss in franchise history. I’m disgusted. I don’t think I’m watching another game this season. And if Ballard is back next year, I’m not watching next year either.

Not even close to the most embarrassing.  1st half was a darn good showing, sans the late 1st half int.  3rd quarter started off very good too. Then it became a dumpster fire. But a 1.3 qtr dumpster fire is NOWHERE near the most embarrassing loss. 

1 hour ago, ShuteAt168 said:

General manager Chris Ballard’s regular season record is 45-48-1. *
   * He is immensely popular with other GMs when they are polled. 

Yeah, lol....haha.  but it isn't as if they are voting for him because they keep ripping him off in trades..... He used to just be a likable guy.  Now, when he's been exposed ...he's a petulant brat.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I misunderstanding something you wrote here?    People second guessed the Reggie hire?    Or did you mean to write the Saturday hire?   

I very gently second guessed the Reggie hire. It wasn't a popular opinion.

And I don't think Reggie has done a bad job. Typically people who are talking about how the WRs can't get open and don't run good routes are basing their opinion on the broadcast views. In other words, they don't know what they're talking about. The WRs are doing okay, not great. Pierce needs to keep his routes away from the boundary. But none of it matters with this OL, this QB, and this play calling.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I very gently second guessed the Reggie hire. It wasn't a popular opinion.

And I don't think Reggie has done a bad job. Typically people who are talking about how the WRs can't get open and don't run good routes are basing their opinion on the broadcast views. In other words, they don't know what they're talking about. The WRs are doing okay, not great. Pierce needs to keep his routes away from the boundary. But none of it matters with this OL, this QB, and this play calling.

For whatever it’s worth….  I was fine with the Reggie hire and the RB coach hire last year.   Those two positions are generally considered the two positions where an entry level coach can do well enough.   I think both have done fine and I hope are kept on no matter who the eventual new head coach turns out to be.   I hate throwing out the baby with the bath water.  

And while, like you, I was skeptical of the Bradley hire, I think overall he’s done a good job, all things considered.   So I hope he and his staff are retained.  I think it would be important for continuity sake.

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue12 said:

One of Ballard's biggest mistakes was thinking that Matt Prior and Danny Painter would work out. Clearly they did not.

I think those two are 1 and 2 on the list of things Ballard got wrong.  And because they’re both on the OL, and one is on the outside and the other is in the inside, the combination has been an utter disaster.   And I think whatever is 3 (Ryan?) is far below 1 and 2. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it’s worth….  I was fine with the Reggie hire and the RB coach hire last year.   Those two positions are generally considered the two positions where an entry level coach can do well enough.   I think both have done fine and I hope are kept in no matter who the eventual new head coach turns out to be.   I hate throwing out the baby with the bath water.  

And while, like you, I was skeptical of the Bradley hire, I think overall he’s done a good job, all things considered.   So I hope he and his staff are retained.  I think it would be important for continuity sake.

I'm okay with Bradley this season, although I still don't think his defense makes a lot of sense for modern football. I think they probably do a good job teaching fundamentals and calling the defense simply. I think that has some value.

I forgot that Montgomery was a fresh RB coach last year. He's done a good job. 

BTW I see people expressing disappointment that the offense hasn't changed much since Frank's firing. The reality is the offense is a product of the talent on the roster, the preparation/general setup of the offense(generally done pre-season - nobody is making general changes mid-season), and the play calling and day-to-day operations. The first two are baked in the results - it's the same roster executing the same offense. The only things that could have changed are day-to-day operations and play calling. And who has to implement changes there? Our playcaller is a 30 year old with very limited experience and in general the offensive coaching staff is young and inexperienced, which isn't necessarily horrible... But when all they've seen is Frank Reich day-to-day prep and playcalling, we probably shouldn't be expecting huge changes. Like Greg Cossel likes to say - coaches coach what they know and have experience with and a lot of what our playcallers know is what Frank Reich has imparted in them.

4 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not 100%. There are still some die hard ballard supporters waiting for a win or two to come back and say "I told you so". haha

I think I’m as close to a die-hard Ballard supporter as there is.   But if the Colts suddenly won two games I 100 percent would NOT say I told you so.   And I’d like to think there’s no other Ballard supporter would dare say it as well.  

This is Ballard’s worst season — BY FAR — so there’s nothing to feel good about except maybe getting a top-10 pick in the draft.   But that’s it. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think I’m as close to a die-hard Ballard supporter as there is.   But if the Colts suddenly won two games I 100 percent would NOT say I told you so.   And I’d like to think there’s no other Ballard supporter would dare say it as well.  

This is Ballard’s worst season — BY FAR — so there’s nothing to feel good about except maybe getting a top-10 pick in the draft.   But that’s it. 

As our resident Ballard die-hard supporter, do you trust Ballard to make that top 10 pick? And the next coaching hire? 

BTW why were the starters AND especially Matt Ryan who is owed 35M next year if he gets injured still in there taking sacks, getting hit with 30 points down and few minutes to go? What is Jeff Saturday actually doing? Bench Matt Ryan to save yourself some money at the very least if you don't put any value on the disaster he is on the field... 

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

As our resident Ballard die-hard supporter, do you trust Ballard to make that top 10 pick? And the next coaching hire? 

If he stays on the job,  then to me, Ballard makes the pick.   If Irsay doesn’t trust him or if the new HC wants control then Ballard should no longer be the GM. 

If you want to know do I trust Ballard the answer is….  Mostly yes.   But less than I did before. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If he stays on the job,  then to me, Ballard makes the pick.   If Irsay doesn’t trust him or if the new HC wants control then Ballard should no longer be the GM. 

Yep, absolutely agree here. If Irsay is making the decision to keep Ballard, I want him to take his hands off the steering wheel and let Ballard succeed or fail on his own merits and on his own decisions, because the last 4 huge decisions for this franchise all seem to be stemming from Irsay rather than Ballard(getting rid off Wentz, firing Reich, benching Ryan, hiring Saturday). And indeed, if he doesn't trust him to make those type of decisions, he should find someone he trusts to make them. If Ballard is kept and given the chance to pick the next HC and coach IMO Irsay needs to commit to him for at least 2 more years. I don't want Ballard to pick HC, spend big resources(probably multiple high picks) on a QB and be fired mid-2023 when we start 2-6 or something... 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you want to know do I trust Ballard the answer is….  Mostly yes.   But less than I did before. 

That's fair enough. If it were me, I think I would rather someone else make those decisions, but that is also contingent on who that someone is. 

It impossible to see if receivers are getting open or not by watching on tv because they don’t show the entire field, but I find it very hard to believe the colts receivers aren’t getting open. Ryan creeps throwing into tight, double, or even triple coverage. I’m sure a lot of this has to do with pressure getting to his head. There are no manning or Brady’s  out there any more that can read and anticipate where to go with the ball quickly. All the top young qb’s are a threat to run, making it harder to rush the qb and taking a lb out of coverage to keep them from making a big play running. How many times do qb’s keep drives alive with a scramble? The colts get none! That’s the difference between winning and loosing several games this year and being in the playoff picture. The receivers are big and have shown they can go up and get the ball if given a chance, I don’t think they are the problem. I also thing the line would look a lot better with a mobile qb that would expand the playbook. Time to move on at qb, let’s see what the young guy has and see what is available in the draft. I think the colts are a lot closer to a playoff team than a lot of people here are saying if they get better at qb. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am going to take the 4th quarter out of it because things snow balled and got embarrassing and the Colts clearly just quit which is a problem but I just laid it out it’s a problem and it happened for the reasons that’s been a problem all year so there just isn’t more to say about it.

These WRs run awful routes and don’t get open and if they do they don’t get YAC because they can’t get separation.  More than once tonight you saw Matt yelling at guys because they didn’t run the right routes.  It’s too late in the season for that to still be happening.  

The Colts offensive playbook is trash.  There is no creativity to it and it’s all slow developing plays.  Even more so you have a QB in Ryan who does better under center (stats back this up) and you are asking him to work out of the gun which is not what he’s done the bulk of his 15 year career.  Rather than tailoring the offense to him they asked him to be Carson Wentz and I think that’s part of the reason for his struggles.  

Parks needs to never call plays again after this season.  I’d rather almost Ryan draw it up in the dirt because he’s way too predictable (hello try ANYTHING but a hand off to Taylor up the gut on first down) and Ryan has shown he can hit deep passes down the field when the plays are called they just aren’t being called.  It’s all quick dump offs which are either slow developing screen passes, or telegraphed it’s better if the back doesn’t catch it because the defender is going to drop them for a five yard loss if they catch it, or dump offs to tightends or WRs who can’t get separation.  

STOP FORCING THE BALL TO PERICE.

More outside runs please but that goes back to the Colts offense playbook being trash.  It’s just the same three or four plays and other teams know what’s coming.  Rather it’s Frank or Parks there aren’t enough tendency breakers in there.

Enough with the Leonard jokes.  Anyone who doesn’t recognize the value he provides to this defense by now is just lying to themselves.  They don’t get turnovers or key stops without him.  As soon as the offense scored to make it 21-19 I said I know what’s coming a Dallas drive for a TD to pretty much end it and sure enough that’s exactly what happened because this defense is great if there is no pressure on them.

Whoever was in charge of ball security with this team needs to be fired yesterday.

Why on earth is Pryor still playing?  

All and all this team has talent it’s just been horribly miss used and I put that mostly on the coaching staff.  

The lone good thing about tonight besides the game being over is the Colts are up to 9th in the draft order now.  They should get a really good player next year if they don’t screw it up by going on a late season charge but with their schedule I don’t think there is any danger of that.  In fact after tonight you might see this team fold up tents for the season.  This is what happens with an interim coach short term boost but then it gets worse.  Not saying Reich didn’t deserve to be fired just saying the Colts are showing what they are a bad team that only does one thing well, shoot them selves in the foot.

Hopefully the Colts can land one of the big three QBs in the draft because the answer at QB is not on this roster but make no mistake this team has several problems beyond QB.

This is the most accurate evaluation, and fair about all, all things considered. 

Those who think team will do much better with just a different QB or even with a top drafted rookie QB will be surprised, just like every past few years. Things like a stale offense, receivers not running correct routes, QB and WRs not getting the timing right this far into the season exposes how bad off-season practices were. Lot of such nuances, and the overall roster need to be improved. 

It's not an one year process, even with an elite rookie QB drafted, and the team would need a very good coaching hire with a creative offense while keeping the defense intact. Even if it all happens, fans would need patience at least for two more off-seasons to know the effectiveness of new staff and roster. 

Archived