Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022: Colts at Dallas Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Having more under center plays is the one and only thing I can see as being an improvement under Saturday.  It was a huge blind spot with Frank.  

UC formations just makes a power run so much easier, and makes outside runs easier for JT...the quick toss being one of the plays we ran against DAL and it seemed to work for about 7 yards.

All of our other outside runs had to be stuff like shotgun/jet sweeps, where we ran it against DAL with PC and got about 2 yards.   LOL.  No wonder they are never called that much.

As an ex running back, I loved under center plays. Gave me a chance to get to full speed by the time I was handed the ball. I could see the defense better as well, could make an adjustment on the fly quicker if needed. 

I just don’t understand when you’ve got JT as your main playmaker, why make it harder on him?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also I think we’re at the point where it’s fair to question if Pittman is really all that good. I think he may be more of a number 2 than a number 1. He was invisible in that game.

Also why are we back to guys having breakout games and then not being used? Where the heck was Jelani Woods?

That is why teams hire innovative play callers like Sean McVay, Zac Taylor, Kevin O'Connell to head coaching jobs. Then there are folks like Kliff Kingsbury hired straight from college. The ones that have called plays in the NFL, they are the ones that have done well. That is why I go and get Mike Kafka. He will use every resource we have.

Yes, Pittman is a #2, Pierce has limited things he can do well. Campbell is great in space and crossers and should be used as such. I do think Woods and Granson would be used better with a good play caller that is not on our staff right now.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure how accurate the source is but that’s not the first I’ve heard of it. Regardless though, Ballard has failed this team. Even if you take the QB drama out of it, he’s put out enough rope to hang himself.

The most concerning thing is that if that’s true, Irsay is going to be a problem in trying to hire a new GM.

Huh?  Then who negotiated the terms of the trade?   The GM steps aside and gives it up to the HC?    The owner (who reportedly didn't really like Wentz)?

Sounds like somebody is trying to circle the wagons by floating half-truths.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also I think we’re at the point where it’s fair to question if Pittman is really all that good. I think he may be more of a number 2 than a number 1. He was invisible in that game.

Also why are we back to guys having breakout games and then not being used? Where the heck was Jelani Woods?

Pittman issue was more the QB.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think it would matter either. But Saturday is in a terrible situation. We have an offense with no answers, and we fired the architect of the entire unit (deservedly, IMO), and his 2nd in command (also deservedly). Then we brought in a guy to run the entire show who hasn't been working with the staff every day, and bumped up an assistant with little experience and assigned him game day play calling duties. It's a no-win situation.

I thought maybe Saturday's attention and presence would spark something for the team, and maybe it did at first. But seeing how things went tonight, I think that's a bust. At least we scored on the first possession?

The offense isn't going to get better until we have better QBing, better OL play, and better coaching. You said it'll make due for the rest of the season, I kind of doubt that. But I guess there's nothing to be done about it right now.

Last thing, running on first down is an overblown complaint, usually. It was a real problem tonight though.

Saturday was definitely thrown (albeit willIngly,) headfirst into a bad situation. 

I want a fresh start offensively. Get everyone and everything that frank had any influence over out of the building and start 100% fresh. I just don’t like this offense and there’s really nothing it actually does well. We’re still running the bones of frank’s offense with guys who were understudies of frank. I don’t think this offense has much of a chance at anything until we clean house because it just isn’t working. I’d be fine with bringing Reggie Wayne back if the next coach is so inclined, we’ve seen our receivers make plays this year and for all the ballyhoo about how that was going to be our biggest weakness, it really hasn’t been an issue at all. 

Everyone wants to finger one unit or another to blame, but this sum is the whole of our parts. The offensive line isn’t as good as it needs to be. Matt Ryan is not as good as he needs to be. Those two issues combine to make a real nasty cocktail to overcome, but we’ve also gotta add in the aforementioned frank effect that we’re still living under despite his exit. It’s going to be hard to fix anything with what we’ve got in the cupboard right now.  

When frank was sent home and Saturday was brought in it was absolutely a welcome change of pace, I’d been done with frank longer than most. But I just haven’t seen any signs that Saturday has the answers, even taking into consideration the less than ideal circumstances we’re in. 

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am kind of out on Taylor. I just think it goes to show that if you have a good Oline you can simply plug and play rb's. Plus, he is horrible in pass protection. I dont think he is worth a 2nd contract. I would let Pittman walk as well

Yeah.  He really is a very good runner with the ball though.  When he isn't fumbling.

He's the kind of RB where we need to have 6 olinemen in the game to block and just let him run.  Kind of a modification of the old Pep Hamilton offense with Luck.  JT is actually the RB TRich was supposed to be.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Huh?  Then who negotiated the terms of the trade?   The GM steps aside and gives it up to the HC?    The owner (who reportedly didn't really like Wentz)?

Could be Irsay told Ballard to get Wentz as opposed to Fields. Then makes Ballard negotiate. It makes sense given the mentality of “win now”.

Based on all the rumors and sources, the common theme being painted is an impulsive owner getting involved where previously they hadn’t. Again all rumors but where there’s enough smoke.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not following.  A team is heading into a playoff run and the coaching staff is responsible for motivating it...as if its natural for players to not be motivated heading into the playoffs and its the coaches around the NFL who do the motivating the team at that point?  That's a weird circle of logic to justify thinking we had poor coaching.

People act like the team has great talent being held back by coaching, when in fact its the opposite.  I assume people are seeing that now, with Ryan being incrementally worse than Wentz of course.

Irsay certainly did not help matters any with his meddling.  With either adding talent or creating a calm atmosphere.

The Colts lost games last year because of coaching in game decisions. This should never happen. A team should win because it’s well coached not lose because of in game poor decisions or clock management. 

The team did not play hard in the last two games a year ago. We all saw it. Not sure why they packed it in, but they did. Was it because Irsay was meddling behind the scenes or something else? I have no idea what happened behind closed doors, but a switch went to the off position for some reason.

I put on here a month ago I don't know why we don't throw the ball up for Pierce and Campbell on go routes more often, like the one Pierce got his td on last night. For that matter, why doesn't Campbell ever run a fly???? If you throw the ball long and it is incomplete on first down you are at 2nd and 10, which is still better than 2nd 12 or 2nd and 13. The negative plays have been killing the offense(penalties also). We run way too many pass routes where the receiver doesn't go more than 5 yards downfield and turns around and stands there with a defender draped all over him. If your going to stand there you are not going to get open. Pierce needs to get stronger(what rookie doesn't) and he will be an exceptional receiver for years to come.

26 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Whew! Dodged a bullet there.

I agree, I don't see why people say Fields is so good. Also remember 2 years ago when I called Herbert the Piano man chuckling homer simpson GIF- that is starting to look better and better now for me. I never got the Fields hype either. I also said Baker would stink but I am always wrong according @Rhodelesstraveled

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Saturday was definitely thrown (albeit willIngly,) headfirst into a bad situation. 

I want a fresh start offensively. Get everyone and everything that frank had any influence over out of the building and start 100% fresh. I just don’t like this offense and there’s really nothing it actually does well. We’re still running the bones of frank’s offense with guys who were understudies of frank. I don’t think this offense has much of a chance at anything until we clean house because it just isn’t working. I’d be fine with bringing Reggie Wayne back if the next coach is so inclined, we’ve seen our receivers make plays this year and for all the ballyhoo about how that was going to be our biggest weakness, it really hasn’t been an issue at all. 

Everyone wants to finger one unit or another to blame, but this sum is the whole of our parts. The offensive line isn’t as good as it needs to be. Matt Ryan is not as good as he needs to be. Those two issues combine to make a real nasty cocktail to overcome, but we’ve also gotta add in the aforementioned frank effect that we’re still living under despite his exit. It’s going to be hard to fix anything with what we’ve got in the cupboard right now.  

When frank was sent home and Saturday was brought in it was absolutely a welcome change of pace, I’d been done with frank longer than most. But I just haven’t seen any signs that Saturday has the answers, even taking into consideration the less than ideal circumstances we’re in. 

There is this wrong quiet narrative floating around that said that the talent is there, its just a coaching probelm.

Now we're migrating to understanding that there is a talent problem, and we're going to blame the ex-HC for that now as well.

Frank did not ask specifically for Pierce or Woods.  Ballard got him a "wide out" and the "Tight End".  Frank did not ask specifically for Fisher over Leno.  Ballard got him a left tackle and made the deal.   He signed Pryor.  He drafted Raimann.  He let Glow walk.

Who knows how the QB situation unfolded, and why we were very close to signing Winston as a FA but somebody decided to give up a 3rd round pick and $35M for Ryan at the last minute.  (Not saying that JW would have been better, just showing the choices made available to Frank)

Coaches coach and also design the offense.  GMs add specific players that are available.   HCs don't do that.

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Could be Irsay told Ballard to get Wentz as opposed to Fields. Then makes Ballard negotiate. It makes sense given the mentality of “win now”.

Based on all the rumors and sources, the common theme being painted is an impulsive owner getting involved where previously they hadn’t. Again all rumors but where there’s enough smoke.

I think its been reported that Irsay was the least of the three wanting Wentz...from the beginning.  And I don't see how a GM can't have any say in who he trades to be the starting QB of his team.  

Time to play Foles the rest of the way.  See if he’s the guy who can help develop a rookie quarterback.  Start Pinter over Kelly at center as well.  Kelly is missing to many assignments for a veteran.  Let’s see what Pinter has.  Raimann is really coming on.  Kudos to Ballard on that pick as I think he is our answer there.  I would be tempted to bring Pryor back but ask him to put the weight back on that we asked him to lose to play tackle.  With the weight back on he’s a decent guard I think.  I think that’s his best position.  He’s too small right now.  At quarterback my 1st choice is trading for Love.  He’s ready and he’s 6’4” and 230lbs.  No secret Ballard liked him.  If that’s not possible it’s Levis for me but I think he’s going really early.  My second choice is Tanner McKee.  Another 6’4” prospect with a great arm and release.  Also on a poor team.  I would be surprised if Ballard is gone especially if it is  true he wanted Fields.  Quarterback is our biggest issue right now. Fix it and we are a very good team.  I think prospective coaches could easily see that. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I think its been reported that Irsay was the least of the three wanting Wentz...from the beginning.  And I don't see how a GM can't have any say in who he trades to be the starting QB of his team.  

Maybe it wasn’t so much Wentz as it was “not a rookie QB” that will take time to develop. Could be Ballard went with Wentz after being told no on fields?

All conjecture. But sadly I doubt we’ll ever fully know, at least for some time.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is this wrong quiet narrative floating around that said that the talent is there, its just a coaching probelm.

Now we're migrating to understanding that there is a talent problem, and we're going to blame the ex-HC for that now as well.

Frank did not ask specifically for Pierce or Woods.  Ballard got him a "wide out" and the "Tight End".  Frank did not ask specifically for Fisher over Leno.  Ballard got him a left tackle and made the deal.   

Who knows how the QB situation unfolded, and why we were very close to signing Winston as a FA but somebody decided to give up a 3rd round pick and $35M for Ryan at the last minute.

Coaches coach and also design the offense.  GMs add specific players that are available.   HCs don't do that.

Yes. Ballard is culpable because this roster has some deficiencies. 

But that does not in any way change the fact that frank was a rotten head coach who was in over his head and had the benefit of the tail end of Luck to give the appearance that he is better than he actually is. 

There is 0 argument that frank’s McDonald’s fart of a coaching tenure is Ballard’s fault. Again, two issues combining not helping either of them out. 

Ballard is not very good at his job. Luckily for him, frank was worse at his. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are an internet bully own it. I have been right a lot over the last 3 years with my picks and other predictions. You are in here after every loss like a few others flexing after we lose. That is fine and dandy but leave me alone because I am tired of you attacking  me for no reason. I didn't even mentioned you, then out of the blue you jump in and post that garbage about me. The discussion was between @Restinpeacesweetchloeand I, mind your own business. Wentz wasn't the answer either = fact. I admitted I was wrong about Matt Ryan this year. Then guys like @coming on stronggive you a LIKE for saying I have been wrong about everything for the last 3 years, very disappointed in him. Then you post someone should lose their posting privileges that thinks Matt Ryan is a Hall of Famer. Nice shot against me again because you know that was toward me, I am not a dummy, I know. That is a joke. I read your other post, Matt Ryan is easily a Hall of Famer, look at his overall resume. When he gets in admit you are wrong but you won't.

Bottomline is this, I predicted Dallas would win last night 31-9, if you had any reading comprehension you would have seen that on the picks thread. Yes I said 31-9, was I wrong there?? Ok 54-19, almost same damn difference. Still a blowout. I have been in here for almost 8 years, where did you come from? I have never seen you in here until this year?

The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

I told you before I think your predictions can be biased because you are very optimistic. Nothing personal from me I just agreed your predictions were wrong because you think with your heart and always think the colts are on the right track .   That’s okay I wasn’t taking a personal shot just agreed with the statement about your predictions. 

I had to eat crow plenty of times I bought a Derrick Rodgers Jersey after the bengals game . I pumped up wentz and thought frank was gonna make him elite .   i pumped up Sam and chad Kelly . 

nothing wrong with being optimistic I like all posters negative ones and positive ones . This forum would be boring with only negative poster and only positive posters . 

I apologize if you think I was being vicious but I wasn’t thinking about it like  that .

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I don't see why people say Fields is so good. Also remember 2 years ago when I called Herbert the Piano man chuckling homer simpson GIF- that is starting to look better and better now for me. I never got the Fields hype either. I also said Baker would stink but I am always wrong according @Rhodelesstraveled

Panthers are going to cut Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield anyone ?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35188544/source-panthers-expected-waive-qb-baker-mayfield

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is why teams hire innovative play callers like Sean McVay, Zac Taylor, Kevin O'Connell to head coaching jobs. Then there are folks like Kliff Kingsbury hired straight from college. The ones that have called plays in the NFL, they are the ones that have done well. That is why I go and get Mike Kafka. He will use every resource we have.

Yes, Pittman is a #2, Pierce has limited things he can do well. Campbell is great in space and crossers and should be used as such. I do think Woods and Granson would be used better with a good play caller that is not on our staff right now.

Kellen Moore is another one as well. Did you see the way they used Ceedee Lamb? They had him all over the place.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. I just posted that for context since it is floating around out there. Like it’s hard for me to believe that Ballard (who is very gun shy when it comes to trading up in the 1st or drafting QB’s high) really had this plan to get Fields all layed out, and then Reich/Irsay demanded that he scrap the plan and go get Wentz instead. 

There is reason to believe that sometimes Irsay has his hands on things though. Getting rid of Wentz and hiring Saturday definitely have his fingerprints on it. Honestly I sometimes think the “Reich wanted Wentz and Irsay wanted Ryan” thing is sometimes Ballard’s last remaining fans trying to give him a pass on so many missed shots at QB. I feel like those are the same people who insist there was no way the Colts could have traded up for Herbert or Tua in 2020.

48 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

More reason to fire him .Justin is cute and all but he is basically a running back. He will ooo and ahh you with his athletic abilities but will never be a true qb  or even close to one

I've watched him a few times. Sometimes I think what you've posted here, but increasingly I think this kid might be pretty good.  I think the Bears have a pretty good one here. 

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I told you before I think your predictions can be biased because you are very optimistic. Nothing personal from me I just agreed your predictions were wrong because you think with your heart and always think the colts are on the right track .   That’s okay I wasn’t taking a personal shot just agreed with the statement about your predictions. 

I had to eat crow plenty of times I bought a Derrick Rodgers Jersey after the bengals game . I pumped up wentz and thought frank was gonna make him elite .   i pumped up Sam and chad Kelly . 

nothing wrong with being optimistic I like all posters negative ones and positive ones . This forum would be boring with only negative poster and only positive posters . 

I apologize if you think I was being vicious but I wasn’t thinking about it like  that .

Sometimes when it comes to the Colts I do think with my heart but If I bet I don't. I clearly posted in here that Dallas would stomp us and that I was wrong about Matt Ryan before the game last night. For some reason the people that just want to pile on me don't read when I post stuff like that. When we traded for Wentz, I hated it and posted that was a big mistake but yet I have blue glasses on all the time. I also said we would be good with Rivers - was I wrong there? Whatever. 

19 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

The Colts lost games last year because of coaching in game decisions. This should never happen. A team should win because it’s well coached not lose because of in game poor decisions or clock management. 

The team did not play hard in the last two games a year ago. We all saw it. Not sure why they packed it in, but they did. Was it because Irsay was meddling behind the scenes or something else? I have no idea what happened behind closed doors, but a switch went to the off position for some reason.

I agree with this.  What happened last year was really unprecedented in the NFL history, IIRC, and at least in my memory.  There were several things going on:

• The offense had only one play maker, its RB.  How and why he emerged and then got shut down is anybody's guess.  But the offense had no alternative playmakers to turn to make up the difference.  Remember, this is the year Zac Pascal was our second best WR playing with a QB who has been benched for Taylor Heinecke.  Eric Fisher was our LT, and he is not even in the NFL.   
  • Covid happened at a bad time, when the guys who got it were also the guys who were unvaxed, and were the guys responsible for blocking and throwing....which is why the passing game stunk at JAX, added to the issue that we did not/do not have very good passing game assets as a team for about three seasons now.
  • Irsay's meddling put undo pressure on everybody, including indirectly spotlighting the unvaxed players.

I don't see any of these three things being able to be overcome by different coaching.  Any HC would be relatively powerless at that point to change attitudes, IMO.

37 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yes. Ballard is culpable because this roster has some deficiencies. 

But that does not in any way change the fact that frank was a rotten head coach who was in over his head and had the benefit of the tail end of Luck to give the appearance that he is better than he actually is. 

There is 0 argument that frank’s McDonald’s fart of a coaching tenure is Ballard’s fault. Again, two issues combining not helping either of them out. 

Ballard is not very good at his job. Luckily for him, frank was worse at his. 

I don't have an opinion on if "someone is good at his job".  I don't know have all of the information to make that call.

All I am saying is that if the HC is the architect of the offense....the cook who creates the recipe and prepares the dish...he's not the guy finding the ingredients by buying the groceries.

I can't tell how the recipe or the dish will turn out if the ingredients are sub par...but I kinda think they can't ever be combined well enough to be that good.   Unless you need to have Emeril Lagasse as your cook just to get into the playoffs.  From that expectation, I can see where all cooks not Emeril are thought of as a bad cook.

What is comical is, Vegas and almost every expert that analyzes the game on ESPN and the NFL Channel had us winning the South. Most did in here too but because I was trying to be positive for a while, a few call me out. The people I have debated with did not have us being 4-8-1 through 13 games, nor did anyone say Matt Ryan would be bad, if you say you did, you are flat out lying. Go back and look at the Polls, almost everyone in here had us winning the South and at least 1 playoff game. Posts don't lie. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- goodnight everyone, I have to work tonight. 

56 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To make it simpler, so the three sat down to discuss the direction, and Frank convinced the owner that adding Wentz was the way to go.
 Though Ballard wanted to TRY another direction, in the end he followed through on what the Owner and his HC desired.

With the draft coverage Ballard shows that assessing players and choosing which way to go is a very collabrative process.

The Jacoby contract decision, Wentz, i want to know exactly how they happened. IMO, i woud bet Reich sold Irsay on both. lol

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather have Jacoby homer simpson laughing GIF- no difference.

Really, I don't think either would be a great choice.  I would take Baker before Brisset though.   Just because I think his ceiling could be higher.  He's been on 2 bad teams so his ceiling is a bit more than Brissetts because we know what Brissett is more certainly than we do Baker.  

Neither would be a good choice IMO though.  

18 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

To make it simpler, so the three sat down to discuss the direction, and Frank convinced the owner that adding Wentz was the way to go.
 Though Ballard wanted to TRY another direction, in the end he followed through on what the Owner and his HC desired.

With the draft coverage Ballard shows that assessing players and choosing which way to go is a very collabrative process.

The Jacoby contract decision, Wentz, i want to know exactly how they happened. IMO, i woud bet Reich sold Irsay on both. lol

But Ballard has to negotiate the deal and decide if the compensation is within the parameters the owner laid out.  The HC is NOT going to convince the owner about draft picks or contracts being worth it.  He simply says that he can win now with Wentz but can't with Fields. 

The draft process showed that Ballard chose Pierce over Woods, but was willing to take Woods at 53 if Pierce wasn't there.  Nowhere does it suggest that frank wanted either Pierce or Woods over anybody else, or that he wanted one over the other first in order to secure him.   And which player goes in which slot is totally dependent on how the draft is playing out.  That's not what the HC does.  Ballard knows what kind of pieces the HC wants, then goes and gets him those pieces.    Yeah, they have to have collaboration on how important different pieces are and make a list of the players that fit, but which specific piece is selected where is totally on Ballard and the scouts, so which specific piece is brought into training camp and handed to the HC to coach is on the GM.

40 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I've watched him a few times. Sometimes I think what you've posted here, but increasingly I think this kid might be pretty good.  I think the Bears have a pretty good one here. 

I was skeptical, too, but agree with you. Yesterday, for instance, Fields was 20-of-25 passing for 254 yards. He needs to keep developing but has a chance to be really good.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But Ballard has to negotiate the deal and decide if the compensation is within the parameters the owner laid out.  The HC is NOT going to convince the owner about draft picks or contracts being worth it.  He simply says that he can win now with Wentz but can't with Fields. 

The draft process showed that Ballard chose Pierce over Woods, but was willing to take Woods at 53 if Pierce wasn't there.  Nowhere does it suggest that frank wanted either Pierce or Woods over anybody else, or that he wanted one over the other first in order to secure him.   And who goes in which slot is totally dependent on how the draft is playing out.  That's not what the HC does.  Ballard knows what kind of pieces the HC wants, then goes and gets him those pieces.    Yeah, they have to have collaboration on how important different pieces are and make a list of the players that fit, but which specific piece is selected where is totally on Ballard and the scouts, so which specific piece is brought into training camp and handed to the HC to coach is on the GM.

JMO that Franks voice on drafting specific players would have been minimal.

I was ONLY speaking about the QB decisions.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is comical is, Vegas and almost every expert that analyzes the game on ESPN and the NFL Channel had us winning the South. Most did in here too but because I was trying to be positive for a while, a few call me out. The people I have debated with did not have us being 4-8-1 through 13 games, nor did anyone say Matt Ryan would be bad, if you say you did, you are flat out lying. Go back and look at the Polls, almost everyone in here had us winning the South and at least 1 playoff game. Posts don't lie. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- goodnight everyone, I have to work tonight. 

Some of us said Ryan, the O-Line and the first-string offense looked bad in training camp and exhibition games, and this was going to be a big problem. How did you respond, Homer? 

12 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I was skeptical, too, but agree with you. Yesterday, for instance, Fields was 20-of-25 passing for 254 yards. He needs to keep developing but has a chance to be really good.

Yeah the Bears have lost the last 5 games, but Fields has led them to a robust 26.8 points during that time.  I would guess that is pretty rare in the NFL for a team to average 27 ppg in a 5 game losing streak.

If you add the NE win, the Bears have been averaging 27.8 ppg their last half dozen.  Offense is not the issue for them. 

27.8 ppg would be leading the league over the entire season. 

2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I put on here a month ago I don't know why we don't throw the ball up for Pierce and Campbell on go routes more often, like the one Pierce got his td on last night. For that matter, why doesn't Campbell ever run a fly???? If you throw the ball long and it is incomplete on first down you are at 2nd and 10, which is still better than 2nd 12 or 2nd and 13. The negative plays have been killing the offense(penalties also). We run way too many pass routes where the receiver doesn't go more than 5 yards downfield and turns around and stands there with a defender draped all over him. If your going to stand there you are not going to get open. Pierce needs to get stronger(what rookie doesn't) and he will be an exceptional receiver for years to come.

Not the mention that in todays NFL, the rules and game are completely set up to accommodate the QBs and receivers.  Even beyond simply deploying the receivers on no deep routes, or the fact that taking a few mandatory deep shots early will naturally soften up the defense- We should be going deep often simply because we will get a defensive pass interference flag half the freaking time.  

Rodgers at his best was amazing at this and often leveraged PI (Especially on free plays where he recognizes the flag already thrown)

Usually when a team is this bad, it took years to get here.

I know the knee jerk reaction is to blame Saturday who's been here a few games or Ryan who's been here half a season.

But this disaster falls squarely at the feet of Ballard, Reich and Irsay.  This ineptitude did not happen just this season.

If the GM has no say in who the starting QB is, then this is truly a dysfunctional organization.

Oh, and what GM would want to come here knowing they only have a limited say in the personnel or will be over ridden by a meddling owner ?

And yet, Ballard has to go because you can't get the guy to fix this problem who created it in the first place.

I'm hopeful Ballard gets fired soon.

Always remember Colts fans, the fish rots from the head down.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Baker should do fragrance commercials to smell better. :) 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Yeah the Bears have lost the last 5 games, but Fields has led them to a robust 26.8 points during that time.  I would guess that is pretty rare in the NFL for a team to average 27 ppg in a 5 game losing streak.

If you add the NE win, the Bears have been averaging 27.8 ppg their last half dozen.  Offense is not the issue for them. 

27.8 ppg would be leading the league over the entire season. 

Sooner or later, Eberflus' charm will wear off with his wimpy cushions and a D, if not for the turnovers generated last year, would have looked much worse than it is. If I were the Bears GM, I would can Eberflus and make their current OC the HC candidate, either this year or next year should the OC become a hot HC commodity. Eberflus, I am finding, is a bit overrated for his D. I don't think any team in the last decade has lost all 5 games in a row having scored 27 ppg in that stretch. 

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sooner or later, Eberflus' charm will wear off with his wimpy cushions and a D, if not for the turnovers generated last year, would have looked much worse than it is. If I were the Bears GM, I would can Eberflus and make their current OC the HC candidate, either this year or next year should the OC become a hot HC commodity. Eberflus, I am finding, is a bit overrated for his D.

I'm inclined to disagree with Eberflus performance on this defense.  His scheme can be frustrating because it's bend don't break and there are lots of yards gained between the 20s, but the last two seasons Eberflus was here his defenses were top 10 in points allowed and that is the bottom line.  It's hard to compare defenses statistically because of all the factors but ppg allowed has to be one of the main indicators of success.   This years' Bradley D that so many were so high on is now 17th in ppg allowed.  Yes we've had a lot of TOs but still.  

I think Flus to quite a bit out of the talent he was given.  For instance, I think Flus' D would look a lot better with Gilmore playing in it like he's playing in it this year.

I think it is becoming patently clear that we just are not that talented of  a FB team, espcially in premium postions as has been debated countless times on here, but I think more people are seeing that the talent just isn't there.   So I think Flus did a pretty good job. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Really, I don't think either would be a great choice.  I would take Baker before Brisset though.   Just because I think his ceiling could be higher.  He's been on 2 bad teams so his ceiling is a bit more than Brissetts because we know what Brissett is more certainly than we do Baker.  

Neither would be a good choice IMO though.  

Go for Cooper Rush as QB and Kellen Moore as HC

1 minute ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Go for Cooper Rush as QB and Kellen Moore as HC

Pass on Cooper for starter. Filler for backup, yes but not as starter. You saw the stat comparison between Cooper and Dak, right, from bottom 10 in offense to top 5 in offense for same OL and skill positions?

Kellen Moore for HC, I can consider that, along with Mike Kafka, current OC of Giants.

Archived