Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Too early predictions for the Colts in 2022!

Semicolt

Ok Colt fans if sports writers can spout out their too early predictions so can we!

Carson Wentz will be back in 2022 and Colts will pursue a veteran backup.

Colts will resign Lewis and Turay.

Colts will entertain and execute trades for Nelson or/and Kelly.

Big time Free agent edge rusher will be signed.

Fisher will be resigned at a bargain contract.

Rhodes will not be resigned.

Big time free agent cornerback will be signed.

Doyle and Hilton both will retire.

Colts will draft a big time wide receiver.

A make a difference tightend will definitely happen.

Colts will improve home record from 4-5 to 6-2

Colts will be 4-1 in first 5 games

Colts will win 12 games and at the minimum be in the AFC championship game.

Go Colts!

What say you?

Who do you even trade Nelson to, if you expect to get a 1st rounder?  I doubt anyone would do it with the cost associated.  Anything less than a 1st would just be a salary dump.

Besides, he brings a swagger to the O line that we need.  I agree, Kelly could be dealt and if Fisher continues to improve our O line will be solid with Pinter, Reed, and the quality depth.  Glow or no Glow.

But the season comes down to Carson.  If he's still our QB, will he learn to "take the layups" and make the layups"?  

We can't be a run first, run second team.  They won't be loading the box for the run if they respect the passing game.

Based on how the roster has been cornered by investment in fewer playmakers and not much room to maneuver due to the stubbornness of the decision makers w.r.t free agency, roster construction and coaching weaknesses' acknowledgement, I am not optimistic that we make anything but the playoffs barely. Another sloppy seconds finish in the division while making the playoffs in 2022. That is the best this team will do.

If they surprise me in free agency, I might change my outlook but sitting here and knowing the history of Ballard and the coaches in close games, I have learned to temper my expectations.

My wild speculation on this off season is that we end up saying 'Wow, that's a pretty team friendly deal', when it comes to re-signing Q. It'll be a lot of money, and it may be a couple of years longer than we think, but it'll be below present speculation and deemed 'what a deal'.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Based on how the roster has been cornered by investment in fewer playmakers and not much room to maneuver due to the stubbornness of the decision makers w.r.t free agency, roster construction and coaching weaknesses' acknowledgement, I am not optimistic that we make anything but the playoffs barely. Another sloppy seconds finish in the division while making the playoffs in 2022. That is the best this team will do.

If they surprise me in free agency, I might change my outlook but sitting here and knowing the history of Ballard and the coaches in close games, I have learned to temper my expectations.

yes i agree we will have to settle for average talent with our dollar general gm, and more delayed gratification seasons

20 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If they run the same team back i expect similar results.  We need a passing offense and pass rush to go far.  

That sums it up well.  And I know it's easier said than done.  Kwity looks like he's the real deal.  After him, we don't have one real threat.  Several guys who are good, but none have shown out yet.  Even Buckner had a down year.  

That has to be addressed, and it can be in Free Agency.  Although I still have to wonder about our D-line coaches.  Are they getting the most out of all those high draft picks?

The passing offense is THE BIG question.  It's pretty obvious that Ballard is upset about it.  But will they do anything about it?

Here are my predictions for 2022:

1.) We sign Mitchell Trubisky as a veteran FA QB to be competition to Wentz since we don't have a first round pick.

2.) We sign Christian Kirk to help replace Hilton and Pascal

3.) Ballard signs Zach Ertz to replace Doyle and help Carson Wentz

4.) We trade Ryan Kelly for a 2nd round pick

5.) We resign most of our players that hit FA, and let go Banogu, Rhodes, Hilton, Pascal, Doyle, and Mack

6.) On day 2 of the draft, we take a LT, CB, and EDGE rusher with our two 2nds and 3rd round pick. 

7.) On day 3, we fill in other needs and depth like RB, WR, S, LBer and a C, CB, and EDGE.

8.) We have a QB competition, Wentz starts the year with the job, and loses it halfway through to Trubisky.

9.) Trubisky leads us to the playoffs with a 10-7 record, and we lose in the wildcard round.

10.) We release Wentz at the end of the year, and talk starts about drafting a QB to compete with Trubisky in 2023 and the process starts all over again, except we have a slightly better QB and a first round pick in 2023 to draft with.

I just love this fanbase.... Didnt have a half decent o-line player for 10 years, it was so bad that it caused one of the brightest stars the league has seen since Manning to retire early. Now we have possibly the best offensive guards to ever play the game and nearly a shoe in for the HOF already and people are wanting to trade him because of cap space. JFC

Colts will win the division next year and makes a deep push into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

If they run the same team back i expect similar results.  We need a passing offense and pass rush to go far.  

What do you think the chances are of……

”Running the same team back.”   ???

You’ve either heard or read everything from Irsay, Ballard and Reich.   Do they seem ready or interested in “running it back”??

15 minutes ago, twfish said:

I just love this fanbase.... Didnt have a half decent o-line player for 10 years, it was so bad that it caused one of the brightest stars the league has seen since Manning to retire early. Now we have possibly the best offensive guards to ever play the game and nearly a shoe in for the HOF already and people are wanting to trade him because of cap space. JFC

Colts will win the division next year and makes a deep push into the playoffs.

They drafted Q in 2018 because they wanted protection for Luck.

It worked

I feel like people forget the reason why would took a guard at 6

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What do you think the chances are of……

”Running the same team back.”   ???

You’ve either heard or read everything from Irsay, Ballard and Reich.   Do they seem ready or interested in “running it back”??

what kind of changes do you expect?  I was thinking in terms of the roster but coaching changes are probably coming

at the risk of saying this too much on here, i think running it back with Carson will limit how far we can go.  will they make a move for an edge or WR?? i have no idea

we have a lot of mid to low tier free agents, how many come back and who they replace them with is anyones guess

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

It worked

Whatever reason they think he is so replaceable because in the couple games he missed the back ups did okay. What they fail to realize is he elevates everyone on the O-line's play. You dont just throw away the thing every single team covets....

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

It worked

I agree and would like to elaborate…..

I don’t think Ballard was just drafting a guard at 6.   I think Ballard drafted an absolute UNICORN in Nelson.  Not just a future Hall of Fame player, but also a Culture changing player, a locker room changing player.  Guys like that don’t come along every draft.  

That’s what Ballard spent a 6 on….   

7 minutes ago, twfish said:

Whatever reason they think he is so replaceable because in the couple games he missed the back ups did okay. What they fail to realize is he elevates everyone on the O-line's play. You dont just throw away the thing every single team covets....

You're on a roll!   Keep going!

Preach it!    Preach it!!    :thmup:

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here are my predictions for 2022:

1.) We sign Mitchell Trubisky as a veteran FA QB to be competition to Wentz since we don't have a first round pick.

2.) We sign Christian Kirk to help replace Hilton and Pascal

3.) Ballard signs Zach Ertz to replace Doyle and help Carson Wentz

4.) We trade Ryan Kelly for a 2nd round pick

5.) We resign most of our players that hit FA, and let go Banogu, Rhodes, Hilton, Pascal, Doyle, and Mack

6.) On day 2 of the draft, we take a LT, CB, and EDGE rusher with our two 2nds and 3rd round pick. 

7.) On day 3, we fill in other needs and depth like RB, WR, S, LBer and a C, CB, and EDGE.

8.) We have a QB competition, Wentz starts the year with the job, and loses it halfway through to Trubisky.

9.) Trubisky leads us to the playoffs with a 10-7 record, and we lose in the wildcard round.

10.) We release Wentz at the end of the year, and talk starts about drafting a QB to compete with Trubisky in 2023 and the process starts all over again, except we have a slightly better QB and a first round pick in 2023 to draft with.

I like everything but Mitch being a better QB. I think there is a noticeable talent difference with Wentz being much better 

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree and would like to elaborate…..

I don’t think Ballard was just drafting a guard at 6.   I think Ballard drafted an absolute UNICORN in Nelson.  Not just a future Hall of Fame player, but also a Culture changing player, a locker room changing player.  Guys like that don’t come along every draft.  

That’s what Ballard spent a 6 on….   

DING!!!!  Statement of the Month!

You don't draft a great guard at 6th overall.

You don't draft a pro bowl guard at 6th overall.

You don't draft a hall of fame guard at 6th overall.

You draft a transformational player regardless of position at 6th overall.

Well I tend to look at Gm's track records and use that as a guide as to what we will do.

-So given that we will sign Q to a huge contract because he was drafted by Ballard, no way he lets this guy go. He should be moved to LT IMO.

- We will resign a couple more Ballard draftees is Lewis and Turay.

- Rhodes and Hilton will be gone replaced by late round draft picks and mid-low level FA's.

- A TE like Ertz will be the biggest FA signing we do.

- Will continue to count on development at the pass rush position

- If Nelson not moved to LT then we sign another mid-low level FA like Fisher

- Unfortunately because its one of the worst offseasons for Qbs we have seen in awhile we stick with Wentz and Ballards style is to not "buy" a team but rely upon draft picks and development, this team regresses a little further. 8-9 or 7-10ish

- Lets face it you need a great QB in this league nowadays to win lots of games and make a playoff push, we just dont have that. 

Also this isn't a bash on Ballard, I dont mind his style, he does IMO need to evolve though and stop being so dependent on the draft. 

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

what kind of changes do you expect?  I was thinking in terms of the roster but coaching changes are probably coming

at the risk of saying this too much on here, i think running it back with Carson will limit how far we can go.  will they make a move for an edge or WR?? i have no idea

we have a lot of mid to low tier free agents, how many come back and who they replace them with is anyones guess

My educated guess….

We restructure a bunch of contracts.  Wentz, Buckner, Stewart to create more cap space.   We seriously need it. 

I’d LOVE for us to find an offensive minded coach with some experience.  Someone who might get the title of Assist Head Coach.  But whose job would be…. Exec in Charge of saying No!  Or, don’t do that!   I don’t expect any Assist Offensive Coaches to be fired.  But when Sirianni left he took some of our O-Coaches with him.  I think we lost more than we retained or brought in. A brain drain.  So I’d like someone to remind Frank not to forget about Taylor or Hines, or the various tight ends, etc.   Some wise veteran that Frank will listen to.   I think that’s needed. 

Id like to see us selectively blitz a little more.  It’s one thing to only rush 4 if you’re getting home with sacks and pressures.  But we didn’t and yet we’re among the lowest in blitzes.  That’s a BAD combo. 

We need more playmakers on the outside.  More athleticism, more speed and quickness at spots like WR, CB, Safety and TE.  

We need more veterans on both the D-line and the O-line.   Guys who don’t need a year or two to figure things out.  

I have no idea what we will do at QB?   I can see us bringing back Wentz, and I can see us cutting him and signing or trading for someone else.   I think we’ll know by March 1. 

Thus is not my complete list…. But there should be enough discussion points to get started.  

Q will not be traded for 2 reasons: 

1. The Colts want him

2. You're not going to find a GM to give a 1st round pick for a Guard, who they then have to turn around and sign for 20 million.

History tells me the Colts will be unprepared to start the season and lose their 1st game. Hopefully, it's at Jacksonville and we "kill two birds with one stone."

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I like everything but Mitch being a better QB. I think there is a noticeable talent difference with Wentz being much better 

Pretty much the same comment.  Mitch has the same problem as Carson - they don't pre-process very well.  Great arms will only take you so far.

If anyone hasn't watched Kurt Warner's breakdown of Carson, they should.  He's honest, and they guy knows his stuff.

Very short summary - Kurt values processing over everything else.  He's kind of dubious on if that can be fixed.

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Q is signed for next year, i doubt teams are knocking down the door to trade a haul for him that we would accept.  I wish he would consider playing LT but i wouldnt push him out the door.  

what do you think teams would offer for him?

i wish that too it would solve our LT problem  and save and save us cap space and we could then have Reed and Glo for G's.

I would not think of trading him for less than a top 10 pick (and really don't want to trade him) although i did mention it in another topic

5 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Ok Colt fans if sports writers can spout out their too early predictions so can we!

Go Colts!

What say you?

Gotta get their QB position figured out first, and adding better help at WR before I can agree with you. Reich also needs to pass over his play calling duties, and focus on coaching the overall flow of the game. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Pretty much the same comment.  Mitch has the same problem as Carson - they don't pre-process very well.  Great arms will only take you so far.

If anyone hasn't watched Kurt Warner's breakdown of Carson, they should.  He's honest, and they guy knows his stuff.

Very short summary - Kurt values processing over everything else.  He's kind of dubious on if that can be fixed.

He also admitted he broke down the worst game of the season.  I really enjoyed his video and wish he would do more games of Wentz.  Still, I think he chose that game bc it was the hot topic of the week and he ultimately wants traffic to his videos.  If I only saw that film of Wentz then I would also be hesitant. Just like if he broke down the Jets, Texans or Ravens games you would think he is an elite QB. I take the whole thing with a grain of salt while enjoying his take of interpreting film. 

Hines get moved to slot WR, cant play a backup RB who hardly sees the field that kind of money BUT can play a slot who stays on the field and was a WR in college that kind of money. 

Sign a vet RB minimum money to backup Taylor who rarely comes off the field

Move Blackmon to SS ahead of Willis and draft a FS who can actually make plays on the ball

Hot Rod takes back the kicking duties and Badgley who is a free agent moves on

We sign a vet TE for our #1 spot, Granson becomes 2 and Michel Jacobson gets moves from P.S. to our 3 (Cant teach 6'7 height)

We sign a vet QB to understudy Wentz ( Teddy Bridgewater/Tyrod taylor) and Sam and James Morgan battle for the 3 spot

Reed resigns for LG, Glow moves on. Fisher moves on and Pryor assumes the LT spot. Pinter pushes Kelly for the Center spot.

7 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Go Colts!

What say you?

No way Nelson will get traded ( I think Chris has made this pretty clear) but Kelly might.

I'm NOT NAIVE enough to thing major change is coming just because the Fanbase was told so to comfort them in a disasterous end of seaon. 

Wentz & Reich are very most likely both  coming back and thats not great news. 

There are plenty needs at Premium positions and no first round pick to use or trade down with. I have my doubts that major talent will be brought in at the WR & TE positions.... maybe sign Ertz and a mid tier FA WR plus draft one in middle rounds. And still holes at LT, Edge, Top CB.

Remember, Indy is not a top destination place for high priced/talent FA's and irsay is at a bit of disadvantage at giving signing bonuses....this was brought to our attention last year or so by Newcoltsfan.

I can see Wentz possibly regressing due to the added pressure of his late season struggles and looking over shoulders if a veteran QB is brought in.

I'm thinking logically JT will not match his production in '22 and the D won't equal as many turnovers.

I'm guessing 6-11.... 7-10 season.

9 hours ago, Semicolt said:

Go Colts!

What say you?

I think we cut Wentz and trade for Jimmy G. Nelson could be part of a trade for Jimmy G... Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G and George Kittle...

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm NOT NAIVE enough to thing major change is coming just because the Fanbase was told so to comfort them in a disasterous end of seaon. 

Wentz & Reich are very most likely both  coming back and thats not great news. 

There are plenty needs at Premium positions and no first round pick to use or trade down with. I have my doubts that major talent will be brought in at the WR & TE positions.... maybe sign Ertz and a mid tier FA WR plus draft one in middle rounds. And still holes at LT, Edge, Top CB.

Remember, Indy is not a top destination place for high priced/talent FA's and irsay is at a bit of disadvantage at giving signing bonuses....this was brought to our attention last year or so by Newcoltsfan.

I can see Wentz possibly regressing due to the added pressure of his late season struggles and looking over shoulders if a veteran QB is brought in.

I'm thinking logically JT will not match his production in '22 and the D won't equal as many turnovers.

I'm guessing 6-11.... 7-10 season.

NFM….    :facepalm:

You can’t trade Q. It goes against everything Ballard has preached since day one. Ballard has always talked about building through the draft, paying your own guys what they deserve, and having high quality guys in the locker room. Q embodies all three of those philosophies. What does it say to our current guys and any potential free agents/guys looking to be traded to us if we trade a guy just because he deserves to be paid by us? It ruins everything our locker room has built up and everything it stands for. I agree that I don’t want to pay a guard premium money when we could use that money for someone like a star FA WR, but this is the bed the Colts FO has made, and we must all lie in it.

And really that’s not all that bad, Q is expensive yes, but he’s also the best guard in football. It’s a win-lose scenario, not a lose-lose scenario.

20 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think we cut Wentz and trade for Jimmy G. Nelson could be part of a trade for Jimmy G... Nelson, Hines, and Moore for Jimmy G and George Kittle...

That would be the worst move of Ballard’s tenure IMO. Kenny is a top slot CB, Q is the best guard in football, and Hines is an excellent second RB when used properly. Kittle is a top three TE, sure, but that doesn’t equate. Also, Jimmy G is literally just the west coast Carson Wentz.

Archived