Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why I think the Bills & Steelers will play their starters/Bills now -1 (Merge)

coltsorioles

2 reasons why. #1 getting the #2 seed is an extra home game with possible home field advantage throughout if k.c. is defeated.  #2 reason if Miami wins they are the #5 seed which makes Baltimore the #6 seed. Remember the #3 seed plays the #6 seed. Buffalo and Pittsburgh much rather play Cleveland, Tennessee, Indy then Baltimore.   One concerning thing is Cleveland is favored by 7 over Pitt. Buffalo early line is only favored by 4, maybe that will go up

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

They are worn out

More reason to not want to travel in the playoffs until you have too.

However, if Tomlin thinks they are so worn out they need a bye more than home field in a possible rematch with the Bills then yes they could.  With as much as they have been jerked around with their schedule this year you can’t rule it out.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Worn out?

They will play for the 2 seed 

I don't understand the idea of sitting

Not to mention they have one of the best home field advantages in the NFL with their stadium even without fans.  It’s really hard to kick there and their kicker is used to it.  Plus if they win their first round game they are probably going to play the Bills.  They already went there and lost once this year I am sure they would like a rematch to be in their building.  Also NO ONE wants to go to Buffalo in January.  

The only reason to rest would be as Stephen said they are tired.  In other words they are so worn out they feel like the need of a bye week is more important than having the number two seed in the playoffs.  Only Tomlin knows that.  I don’t think it’s what they are going to do but with as much as the Steelers got jerked around this year with their schedule you can’t rule it out.

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

In a few days we will find out:

Which do Steelers and Bills value more, rest or the 2 seed?

i have to imagine the 2 seed. Buffalo definitely wants a second home game and Pitt I think would walk on hot coals to not go up there again. 

23 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Teams that rest their players prematurely usually find themselves getting more rest than anticipated a week or 2 later. 

We will get in the playoffs and go into Pitt. as a #6 seed like Pitt did to Indy in 2005, and return the favor to a well rested Steelers. :) 

I doubt either rest their starters to start the game, simply isnt happening. As long as Pitt is close to winning or winning Buffalo will keep starters in to get that 2 seed. IF Pitt falls behind big Buffalo could rest as well.  Buffalo is much deeper than Miami several of their backup would start for the Phins in fact, Pitt it depends what results show for the Clev WR's and their covid if they are out they will not win, couldnt even beat Jets and Steelers backups are better than the Jets.    Neither Buff or Pitt is tanking to lose like Jags have been doing, let's not confuse the difference between resting starters and wanting to win for a better seed and tanking to lose. Huge difference...

Colts odds rose after last night's game to a high of 79.1 % in, Clev fell 3.4 % to 62.4% in (Miami sits in middle at 76.8 while Balt fell to 91.4 from 96.6 and Tenn fell to 90.3 from 91.7)

Balt- 91.4

Tenn-90.3

Indy-79.1

Mia-76.8

Clev-62.4

Excellent numbers, what is making everyone antsy is the lack of control win and in which is normal concern. In the NFC the Cowboys and Giants fans are feeling what we are, win and then need help but in their situation their only hope is 1 team Philly winning.....we have 4 darts that can hit our board.....

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think we are looking at these games while simultaneously not discussing the Titans being ran down and potentially vulnerable against a * off JJ Watt, Watson and Texans team. I still like our chances of a division title.

God I hope so.  

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Steelers sitting Ben Bills might sit Allen. This is why you can’t rely on other teams. Oh well. Don’t lose to the jags and blow a Steelers lead.

Naw that's probably why they're resting big ben because the bills keep their starters plus miami is starting tua anyway but thr browns just lost to the jets so they might lose again

At this point I think there’s more chance of winning the division than any of the other scenarios playing out. 

And Watt gave a fiery speech in a press conference about always playing hard even when you stink, so the Texans aren’t going to lie down for the Titans who have looked horrible against Browns and Packers in recent weeks.

1 minute ago, coltsorioles said:

There should be rule.  As a team if you or your opponent have something to play for all starters unless injured should play. That is for competitive balance. So for example k.c. can rest but teams like Pittsburgh or buffalo must play because it effects other teams

That’s dumb they earned the right to rest their starters. They took care of business and won the division. The 2nd seed isn’t important this year because no bye and Covid-19. It is what it is.

24 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well I was wrong Tomlin just said they will sit Big Ben.

If Ben is the only Steeler to sit, I still give them good odds of beating Cleveland.

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Steelers sitting Ben Bills might sit Allen. This is why you can’t rely on other teams. Oh well. Don’t lose to the jags and blow a Steelers lead.

I seriously doubt if McDermott will sit Josh (and basically concede the #2 seed) just because Tomlin is sitting Ben. Allen is 24, while Roethlisberger is more than a dozen years older and has played every week since their very early rescheduled bye so this move may pay off for Pittsburgh, or it may not.

9 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Guess we got our answer on what Tomlin values more, health and rest over seeding. Steelers could still win though. Other than 2nd half of Colts game, Ben hasn't look very good. But again, he is tired. :D

Mason Rudolph is decent, he's been with them for several years and I'm sure he's looking forward to his "reunion" with Myles Garrett after that sickening helmet swinging incident.

12 minutes ago, coltsorioles said:

There should be rule.  As a team if you or your opponent have something to play for all starters unless injured should play. That is for competitive balance. So for example k.c. can rest but teams like Pittsburgh or buffalo must play because it effects other teams

If such a rule existed, teams would just circumvent it by manipulating their injury reports, similar to how Belichick would list Brady as "probable" for every game with a fictional sore shoulder.

Archived