Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lamar Miller visiting the Colts (MERGE)

Indyfan4life

Just now, B~Town said:

LeMay from unc charlotte looks most interesting to me of the 3 backs we brought in. Lacks top end speed but runs well between the tackles has good balance and is shifty. Offensive mvp at easy weat shrine bowl.

I would imagine if they brought him in, it would be to take Anderson's spot on PS and call up Anderson, since he is already familiar with rhe playbook, at least has a week advantage, plus they signed him to PS instead of LeMay to begin with.

I didnt know anything about LeMay, so thanks for the info. Going to check him out. Darius Jackson was on our PS last year,if Im not mistaken.?

13 minutes ago, B~Town said:

LeMay highlight reel 

Not bad.

Game speed seems faster than that 4.75 40 time.

Soft hands

Good vision

Good feet

Finishes strong

He really made some nice catches in that highlight tape.

Looked pretty good in the few plays it showed against Clemson.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Fair enough.

I wouldn't say I'm not a Miller fan, I've never had an issue with him. If he was willing to take the 4th spot for the minimum or a PS spot to learn offense, I could get on board.

Just dont see a need for him to come in and take over the #2 early down spot. Would rather give carries to Taylor and Wilkins.

We kept Wilkins for a reason I would think, and this is it. So why sign someone to take over for him before he even gets his chance? Someone to back him up, yes I can get on board with that.

I’d add it’s not all about carries.

Miller is a very capable pass catcher, and it’s clear that throwing to the RB is going to be a huge feature of the offense this year.

That dynamic took a huge hit with Mack’s injury, and Taylor not only didn’t catch many passes at Wisconsin, he had quite a few drops in camp.

Miller doesn’t need to be the workhorse taking away carries, but he can be a role guy that offers that pass-catching ability, which currently only Hines possesses, as Wilkins isn’t great at receiving either.

7 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Miller is a very capable pass catcher, and it’s clear that throwing to the RB is going to be a huge feature of the offense this year.

That dynamic took a huge hit with Mack’s injury, and Taylor not only didn’t catch many passes at Wisconsin, he had quite a few drops in camp.

Miller doesn’t need to be the workhorse taking away carries, but he can be a role guy that offers that pass-catching ability, which currently only Hines possesses, as Wilkins isn’t great at receiving either.

Just as a note, Taylor did catch all 6 of his targets this week. It's definitely something to monitor in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Taylor looked good in pass game yesterday 6-6.

Wilkins has an 82.1% catch percentage for career.

Miller has a 77.1% catch percentage for career.

Not saying Wilkins is better at catching(obviously less opportunities), but literally everything the guy does is pretty solid. Would like to see him get a chance.

• NFLfan changed the title to Lamar Miller visiting the Colts (MERGE)
1 hour ago, w87r said:

Not saying Wilkins is better at catching(obviously less opportunities), but literally everything the guy does is pretty solid. Would like to see him get a chance.

It’s one game for Taylor.

I applaud your creativity in pulling out the catch percentage statistic to make your argument, but that’s a bit disingenuous when Wilkins has 23 career receptions.  Miller has 209.  That’s a massive disparity that renders catch percentage almost entirely meaningless when comparing those two.

Props for the lateral thinking though. haha 

Whoever the depth addition ends up being, they’re one Hines injury away from losing a critical component in the offense.  

I think Taylor will be just fine with the workload of RB 1 position, even though it goes against the Colts and the way they do things nowadays. But there was a player by the name of James that played as RB1 that use to play here that wasn’t too bad either.

I think the Colts got a very speedy back in Taylor 

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

He was goid catching  on sunday.

47 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Taylor is a rookie in the NFL who will need a capable back to spell him, along with Hines.

I think the biggest thing with Taylor is how heavily he was used in college. He's definitely capable of carrying the load as a workhorse RB, but using him in tandem with another RB or 2 should help prolong his career and help keep him healthy.

I agree with giving Wilkins a bigger role. He’s competent and knows the schemes. And IMO, he’s an underrated and under appreciated talent. 
Whoever they bring in should be viewed as the #4 back, so it needs to be someone who can handle being in that reduced role. 

15 hours ago, w87r said:

Yes, no doubt. Go with the horses who got you here first, anyone signed is just for depth, IMO, not to supplant any of the first 3. All these backs brought in are done with that in mind, I am certain.

19 hours ago, Myles said:

We need depth.  Taylor is still an unknown running the ball in the NFL.

I think people are a little unrealistic about Taylor right now.  He's not ready to carry the load IMO.  He really wasn't included in the game plan much.  

ars.  

He did well in the passing game, but we need someone to tote the rock between the big uglies, and I don't think Taylor looked ready for that.  

We are in desperate need of a RB right now who knows pass pro, etc.

14 hours ago, JR Indy said:

I think Taylor will be just fine with the workload of RB 1 position, even though it goes against the Colts and the way they do things nowadays. But there was a player by the name of James that played as RB1 that use to play here that wasn’t too bad either.

I think the Colts got a very speedy back in Taylor 

I'm pretty sure that no one in the Colts Org agrees with that assessment.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think the biggest thing with Taylor is how heavily he was used in college. He's definitely capable of carrying the load as a workhorse RB, but using him in tandem with another RB or 2 should help prolong his career and help keep him healthy.

That was my thought too. We don't want to wear him out with Mack already gone. At least this week he'll have plenty of practice with the 1s. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are quite a few decent RBs on practice squads all over the NFL. 

Ballard will find one if he wants one. 

How about that undrafted RB from Illionis James Washington (Jags)? heard he is legit lol JK. But on a brighter note.. Lamar is good when healthy.

5 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

How about that undrafted RB from Illionis James Washington (Jags)? heard he is legit lol JK. But on a brighter note.. Lamar is good when healthy.

Dont know any James Washington from Illinois , Jags have a James Robinson from Illinois State but he didnt do much at all in his debut vs Colts and likely gets replaced soon. 

22 hours ago, Nickster said:

I'm pretty sure that no one in the Colts Org agrees with that assessment.

But starting a rookie RB has been carried out in Dallas, LA, New York, and currently in Baltimore, and KC. I think Taylor will be alright considering Taylor is on par with any of the running backs in those cities in their initial starts

Archived