Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots fined $1.1m and lose 3rd round pick

w87r

For those that are wondering...

This is NOT an insignificant penalty for the Pats.

$1.1 Mill is not a slap on the wrist.   The money won't hurt them at all,  but its the public admonishment of the NFL saying they screwed up --- again --- that hurts.    It's embarrassing for the franchise.

Plus the loss of a third round pick as well.    I don't know which it will be,  their own,  or a compensatory pick,  but the loss of a top-100 pick always hurts in one degree or another.

I'm wondering when they're going to ask the Pats to give up their Superbowl rings. Call me when that happens.

The Pats probably were doing this on-and-off for years, and for the NFL to penalize them for it and for the Pats to admit to this incident suggests the evidence was too compelling to ignore.

Don't forget this old quote from former Pats videographer, Matt Walsh:

“The Patriots’ videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you’re filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.”

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

$1.1 Mill is not a slap on the wrist.

The 1.1 is more symbolic than anything.  It's now the LARGEST single fine ever by the NFL.

The former largest single fine ever was 1 mil.  for guess what?  Deflategate.

That's right.  The Pats now own the two largest fines in NFL history.  Oh, and the 500K the NFL fined Belichick for Spygate in 2007 is the single largest fine ever for a head coach...  :thinking:

31 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The 1.1 is more symbolic than anything.  It's now the LARGEST single fine ever by the NFL.

The former largest single fine ever was 1 mil.  for guess what?  Deflategate.

That's right.  The Pats now own the two largest fines in NFL history.  Oh, and the 500K the NFL fined Belichick for Spygate in 2007 is the single largest fine ever for a head coach...  :thinking:

Yes....   symbolic was the word I was looking for — thanks.   It’s yet another stain in their never ending list of stains. 

So this the third time the Pats have been caught cheating and been punished for it?  I’ve lost count.  Funny how most of the rest of the league hasn’t even been caught once but the Pats defense is everyone does it!  Also Pats fans don’t @ me.  I don’t want to hear it.  If you still believe your team has been punished unfairly all these times for something everyone else does then I have some land on the moon I’d like to talk you about buying from me.

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

I'm wondering when they're going to ask the Pats to give up their Superbowl rings. Call me when that happens.

The Pats probably were doing this on-and-off for years, and for the NFL to penalize them for it and for the Pats to admit to this incident suggests the evidence was too compelling to ignore.

Don't forget this old quote from former Pats videographer, Matt Walsh:

“The Patriots’ videographers were told to look like media members, to tape over their team logos or turn their sweatshirt inside out, to wear credentials that said Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. The videographers also were provided with excuses for what to tell NFL security if asked what they were doing: Tell them you’re filming the quarterbacks. Or the kickers. Or footage for a team show.”

You the Astros got caught once a lot of people want that trophy taken away.  The Pats have been caught over and over.  It’s not unreasonable to start saying take away the titles.  

honestly like the Astro’s even if the league doesn’t their legacy is being cemented with a lot of fans that they are cheaters so whenever their dynasty comes up people are going to say yeah but...  unlike the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, or Packers.  

Anyone in the NFL would know to not film the field and and sidelines and I would think particularly the pats.

Failing to inform the NFL and the Bengals and calling it an unintended oversight?

Senior club officials have to undergo training on league operation and game policies? How did they get to be senior club officials?

The man who was fired had been a videographer for 18 years.  I guess it's possible that he just didn't know and expected his good intent to be enough when he was filming the Bengals sideline a week before the Pats were to play them.  But, my incredulity is stretched beyond the breaking point when a 57 year old man with vast experience in the NFL basically just says 'my bad'

Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer obtained video footage of Dave Mondillo and the film crew interacting with Bengals security after they were caught filming the field.

In the video, a member of the Bengals security team asks one of the film crew members, “How did you not know?” in reference to the league rule. The crew member replies, “I didn’t know. I’m sorry.”

The crewmember says he can delete the footage and the Bengals security member laughs and says, “the damage is done my friend.”

https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/dave-mondillo/

disbelief what GIF

I wonder how fast this will make it onto that patriots fan run site “your team cheats” or whatever it’s called.  

this, among the other incidents, really Saints  their legacy.  As a football fan it’s a shame but the shame is well deserved.  

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You the Astros got caught once a lot of people want that trophy taken away.  The Pats have been caught over and over.  It’s not unreasonable to start saying take away the titles.  

honestly like the Astro’s even if the league doesn’t their legacy is being cemented with a lot of fans that they are cheaters so whenever their dynasty comes up people are going to say yeah but...  unlike the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, or Packers.  

Honestly, no one cares. I hate the Pats but the cheating thing is silly. Those other teams cheated too - a lot. No titles will ever be stripped in pro sports and the records will stand as other teams try to beat them. That's they way it has always been and will always be. Teams cheat. 

The filming was done in December-the Pats best Cincy 34-13  in week 15.

A million dollar fine, they will use the receipt to polish their Super Bowl trophies. Meaningless news. Fining the Pats for anything is like shooting a bear with a BB gun. Getting Newton for one million and 7 million for a incentive ridden contract is a stroke of genius while the Colts sign a 38 year old for 25 million.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

biggest fine ever really means nothing to them on the field, the team is worth over 4 billion.  they are probably already on to next week

A third round pick is something, i guess

They will get a third round comp for Brady.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For those that are wondering...

This is NOT an insignificant penalty for the Pats.

$1.1 Mill is not a slap on the wrist.   The money won't hurt them at all,  but its the public admonishment of the NFL saying they screwed up --- again --- that hurts.    It's embarrassing for the franchise.

Plus the loss of a third round pick as well.    I don't know which it will be,  their own,  or a compensatory pick,  but the loss of a top-100 pick always hurts in one degree or another.

Yes and no.   It it cost a couple million $$ and a couple draft picks to win 6 SuperBowls, it is a small price to pay.  

5 hours ago, FortheWin said:

Honestly, no one cares. I hate the Pats but the cheating thing is silly. Those other teams cheated too - a lot. No titles will ever be stripped in pro sports and the records will stand as other teams try to beat them. That's they way it has always been and will always be. Teams cheat. 

Honestly a lot of people care just because you don’t doesn’t mean no one does.  

45 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes and no.   It it cost a couple million $$ and a couple draft picks to win 6 SuperBowls, it is a small price to pay.  

yep....until they're given the NFL equivalent of the death penalty, they'll keep doing what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yeah...    I understand what you’re saying...    But it certainly gives those who don’t like the franchise even more ammunition.   It’s yet another stain in a long line of stains.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Until they start stripping championships away from teams, those teams are sitting there laughing. I seriously doubt the Astros team/players even care what happened to them because it won them a WS. It still says 2017 World Champion Astros by their name. 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah...    I understand what you’re saying...    But it certainly gives those who don’t like the franchise even more ammunition.   It’s yet another stain in a long line of stains.  

Not sure it matters much.  When any ESPN broadcast talks about greatest teams, it is the Patriots they talk of.  They talk of their 6 SB's.  They never talk about the stains.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Not sure it matters much.  When any ESPN broadcast talks about greatest teams, it is the Patriots they talk of.  They talk of their 6 SB's.  They never talk about the stains.

ESPN is located in Bristol so they have an east coast bias but you are right for the most part. Without Brady they aren't winning another one even if they cheat their pants off lmao . Cam does make them better though.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ESPN is located in Bristol so they have an east coast bias but you are right for the most part. Without Brady they aren't winning another one even if they cheat their pants off lmao . Cam does make them better though.

It is not about their location but

canes GIF by Carolina Hurricanes

2 hours ago, Myles said:

IMO ESPN quit being a reputable sports channel long ago.

Just saying.

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Cheating is such an ingrained behavior with the Pats that they did it against a team who was tanking. 

Exactly! They were so worried about losing to them they needed to cheat? 

They can have their trophies. Most of the rest of the world will be placing an * by them. 

On 6/29/2020 at 7:00 AM, Fluke_33 said:

I wonder how fast this will make it onto that patriots fan run site “your team cheats” or whatever it’s called.  

this, among the other incidents, really Saints  their legacy.  As a football fan it’s a shame but the shame is well deserved.  

Nothing will taint the patriots legacy. Brady could come out and say the recorded every SB opponent and the media and NFL would still call the Pat's the greatest team of all time. 

As usual. The Patriots continue to show why other fans hate their cheating *. 

The Colts have won what... 6 games against the steelers all time? Knocked us out the year the Colts were the best ever? 2005? Still dont hate the steelers. 

But it's because they're winners. That's why I hate them... sure. 

I have yet to meet a patriots fan over the age of 30. Plenty of teenagers though. 

Archived