Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard: Colts locker room can handle a 'big name' free agent

stitches

This team has learned - they want - to play for each other.  They are happy when one of them gets a new contract, they don't snipe at each other, etc.  They are young but they play for each other.  The vets are experienced and good team players and role models.

Yeah, I would think this team could handle a Brady or Rivers coming in and taking charge - if that be the big name.  Houston is a pretty big name and the locker room didn't seem to change for the worse.

Don't think this locker room could handle an AB, though.  That stuff is off the chart.  :lol:

I'm just looking at key non-RFAs.  I don't know the odds of these guys getting franchised, but here's a quick list (summarized from http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102516/article/2020-nfl-free-agency-free-agents-by-position).

There has been some talk about Rivers or a QB, which wouldn't be terribly surprising.

A couple of big name RBs (who I doubt will hit the open market -- Henry, Gordon and then Frank Gore but doubt we went after him due to age).  My guess would be we don't go for any big name RBs (if we go for any at all).

At WR the only 'big names' are Amari Cooper, AJ Green, Josh Gordon (maybe Emmanuel Sanders) then you've got Funchess, Dorsett, Agholor, Cobb.  My guess here is we try to re-up Funchess and maybe make a play at a mid-low tier guy like Agholor.

At TE there's Ebron, Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper.  Would be surprised if we brought Ebron back, but wouldn't be shocked at all if we tried to make a play for Henry or Hooper if they're allowed to test the market.

On the OL, there's Castonzo who we're going to be bringing back and the only other somewhat big names are Jack Conklin, Bryan Bulaga, and Jason Peters -- I doubt we make a FA play there.

The DL really seems to be where the big names lay -- Chris Jones, Gerald McCoy, Arik Armstead, Vic Beasley, Clowney, Jamie Collins, JPP -- most of which I doubt will be available or doubt Ballard takes a chance on due to age/past their prime (though we've been linked to Clowney multiple times).

At LB, only 'big name' looks to be Danny Trevathan.  However, I don't see him really being an upgrade, so I doubt that.

At CB there's Prince Amukamara, Eli Apple, Chris Harris Jr., Logan Ryan, Jimmy Smith and Bradley Roby.  To be honest, I don't know how much of any upgrade any of them would be in our system and if any of them are close to worth the price they're going to be asking.

At S there's HaHa Clinton-Dix, Devin McCourty, Jimmie Ward, Justin Simmons and a couple others.  I could see Ballard wanting to part with Geathers and make Willis kind of a hybrid LB/S.  A few of those guys I think could come in and improve our team right away (though, I imagine a guy like Justin Simmons has a good shot at being franchised).  

So, if I had to guess, if we were to bring in a big name FA it'd be a QB (Rivers), a DL (Clowney), or a S (Simmons).  However, I won't be shocked in the least if we don't bring in any big household names.

23 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Ballard doesn't mind bringing in a big name guy, but he does mind paying for a big name guy, so....probably not gonna happen.

I think he minds "OVER"paying for any FA.  Something Grigs seemed to do w/ 75%+ of guys he brought in.

If the right guy was there, not too overpriced, and still performing well with some traction left on his tires, I don't think Ballard would mind spending.  However, I don't think he's going to spend huge on a guy like Gerald McCoy who is 10+ years into the league just because he's Gerald McCoy and made 6 pro bowls in his life (the last being 2017).  I could see him doing something similar to the Houston deal there, a 1-2 year thing at a reasonable rate, but if McCoy bumps the market way up based on how good he was 3-4 years ago, I imagine Ballard will move right along.

24 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm just looking at key non-RFAs.  I don't know the odds of these guys getting franchised, but here's a quick list (summarized from http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102516/article/2020-nfl-free-agency-free-agents-by-position).

There has been some talk about Rivers or a QB, which wouldn't be terribly surprising.

A couple of big name RBs (who I doubt will hit the open market -- Henry, Gordon and then Frank Gore but doubt we went after him due to age).  My guess would be we don't go for any big name RBs (if we go for any at all).

At WR the only 'big names' are Amari Cooper, AJ Green, Josh Gordon (maybe Emmanuel Sanders) then you've got Funchess, Dorsett, Agholor, Cobb.  My guess here is we try to re-up Funchess and maybe make a play at a mid-low tier guy like Agholor.

At TE there's Ebron, Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper.  Would be surprised if we brought Ebron back, but wouldn't be shocked at all if we tried to make a play for Henry or Hooper if they're allowed to test the market.

On the OL, there's Castonzo who we're going to be bringing back and the only other somewhat big names are Jack Conklin, Bryan Bulaga, and Jason Peters -- I doubt we make a FA play there.

The DL really seems to be where the big names lay -- Chris Jones, Gerald McCoy, Arik Armstead, Vic Beasley, Clowney, Jamie Collins, JPP -- most of which I doubt will be available or doubt Ballard takes a chance on due to age/past their prime (though we've been linked to Clowney multiple times).

At LB, only 'big name' looks to be Danny Trevathan.  However, I don't see him really being an upgrade, so I doubt that.

At CB there's Prince Amukamara, Eli Apple, Chris Harris Jr., Logan Ryan, Jimmy Smith and Bradley Roby.  To be honest, I don't know how much of any upgrade any of them would be in our system and if any of them are close to worth the price they're going to be asking.

At S there's HaHa Clinton-Dix, Devin McCourty, Jimmie Ward, Justin Simmons and a couple others.  I could see Ballard wanting to part with Geathers and make Willis kind of a hybrid LB/S.  A few of those guys I think could come in and improve our team right away (though, I imagine a guy like Justin Simmons has a good shot at being franchised).  

So, if I had to guess, if we were to bring in a big name FA it'd be a QB (Rivers), a DL (Clowney), or a S (Simmons).  However, I won't be shocked in the least if we don't bring in any big household names.

Good write up, agree. I just hope Ballard doesn’t have a brain fart and try to get Deflated Brady

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think Ballard minds bringing in a big name guy.  Heck Houston was a semi big name.  It just has to be the right guy on the right contract.

I would say it also has to be the right position. Paying a game changing DT or DE is a no brainer. He isn’t going to overpay for a safety, corner, or any DB.  

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Phillip Dorsett, welcome (back) to the Colts!

Some laugh but he was a good enough player for a consistent Super Bowl contender. But not for the Colts?  Guess New England is clueless with no Super Bowl appearances in 10 years... Oops or is it our beloved franchise?  Just find it odd that people think the guy is trash...

2 hours ago, Introspect said:

Some laugh but he was a good enough player for a consistent Super Bowl contender. But not for the Colts?  Guess New England is clueless with no Super Bowl appearances in 10 years... Oops or is it our beloved franchise?  Just find it odd that people think the guy is trash...

Dorsett was a pretty faceless guy on a team that desperately needed their WRs to step up. It wouldn't be surprising to see him in the unemployment line soon. 

5 hours ago, Introspect said:

My comment was a joke.

But Dorsett wasn't a critical factor for the Patriots at any point over the last three years, particularly in the playoffs. I have no beef with Dorsett, but he doesn't qualify as a big name free agent. Which was the joke.

11 hours ago, Introspect said:

he can play in the league but he never came close to living up to where he was drafted

1600 yards and 11 Tds in 5 years playing with luck and brady isnt good.  yards per catch is low too

17 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think Superman explained exactly how they can hit that pretty easily

Yeah, they're going to re-sign AC, might extend Kelly, and then re-sign the draft class, and we'll basically be at the 89% mark. I can't find the breakdown I did a few months ago, but the point is that the Colts don't have to go on a spending spree to hit the threshold.

Not a big fan of throwing $$$ at FA guys, but gimme a break with the 'can the locker 

room handle it' crap.

They're pros. They're paid to figure out a way to 'handle it'; whatever 'it' may be.

I get that winning big (as in legit run at a SB) AND having a great 'culture' is ideal.

But give me the winning big with or without the great culture/locker room.  

I really couldn't care less about the culture/LR.   

21 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I could see us going for names when it comes to QB (Rivers) or TE (Hooper or Henry).  

I'm kind of crossing my fingers for a Rivers/Henry package deal. 

I don't think we will bring in Clowney.  Ballard might kick the tires a bit but in the end I think he's over-rated and Ballard will recognize that and will be outbid.  

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah, they're going to re-sign AC, might extend Kelly, and then re-sign the draft class, and we'll basically be at the 89% mark. I can't find the breakdown I did a few months ago, but the point is that the Colts don't have to go on a spending spree to hit the threshold.

They have to spend about 43M in order to hit the 89% mark. 

https://overthecap.com/minimum-cash-spending-in-2020/

Colts, $43M under– The Colts have pretty much avoided spending in free agency the last few years even with a huge surplus of cap space.  Last year when the unexpected retirement of Andrew Luck came down and the team surprisingly did not ask him to repay millions in bonuses paid just months before the retirement and then followed it up by a seemingly crazy decision to agree to a one year, $28 million extension for Jacoby Brissett I surmised that the team was going to be so far under the spending limit that both decisions were in part driven by this. Seeing how far under they are now I think backs that up. Indianapolis will likely make up half of their shortage in the draft but they will most likely have to finally go out and spend at least a bit in free agency this year especially if they do not keep tackle Anthony Castonzo. The Colts may not want to get tied down to anyone for too long so this may wind up being the landing spot for “rehab” projects that take a one year deal in the hope of improving their stock.

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

They have to spend about 43M in order to hit the 89% mark. 

https://overthecap.com/minimum-cash-spending-in-2020/

I had it at $55m in November, then they re-signed Doyle, Pascal Alie-Cox and McLaughlin, and added some futures contracts. That probably reconciles the $12m difference.

I disagree with OTC's conclusions about the Colts needing to spend. By the time they tender their RFAs and re-sign the guys they want to keep, accounting for the draft class, we'll be at the 89%. Or at least very close.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I had it at $55m in November, then they re-signed Doyle, Pascal Alie-Cox and McLaughlin, and added some futures contracts. That probably reconciles the $12m difference.

I disagree with OTC's conclusions about the Colts needing to spend. By the time they tender their RFAs and re-sign the guys they want to keep, accounting for the draft class, we'll be at the 89%. Or at least very close.

Either way, I do think if there has ever been a season for Ballard to loosen the purse strings, this is likely to be it. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah... a lot of our capspace is not because we are not spending a ton right now, it's because of carryover from previous seasons. 

AC ~15M

draftees 10M

Kelly 12M

and we are almost there... 

edit: just checked and Kelly actually accounts for 10.35M right now(5th year option), so adding 2 more mil won't affect it that much. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You may be right, but I certainly hope you’re wrong.   Because if you’re right, there will not be much money left to sign many (any?) free agents.  

We've all been expecting a class bigger than the standard two very good players, one on offense, one in defense.  Where did all the money go?  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right, but I certainly hope you’re wrong.   Because if you’re right, there will not be much money left to sign many (any?) free agents.  

We've all been expecting a class bigger than the standard two very good players, one on offense, one in defense.  Where did all the money go?  

This is the MINIMUM we have to spend in order to get to the 89% mark. We still can spend a lot more... up to about 85-90M. But we just might choose not to. 

about where the money went - Jacoby(21), TY(15), Kelly(10), Houston 9, Doyle, Desir, Autry, Moore, Glowinski, Hoyer ... Luck has 6.5M dead cap... 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/indianapolis-colts/

Archived