Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Admits they screwed up the Autry penalty

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Wow, I searched for a clip of that play so I could try to understand the foul better. I didn't find anything. I saw some folks in the forum bash Autry for such a bonehead play, but apparently it was quite reasonable after all. In general, I am not learning much about the rules/flags in the forum chats due to so many differing viewpoints. 

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

I feel the Colts usually get an “I’m sooooooooooo sorry,” letter from the NFL a couple times a year.  

Not good to get one this early.....

I couldn't watch the game, but I am taping it on the NFL Network tonight, and have to agree with you.  It seems to have been an issue over the years and not in Indy's favor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I felt like we were getting the short end of the stick all day. I knew that wasn't a penalty when it happened. Instead of 3 they get 7 points. They got away with a lot of holding too. I still say that was a catch by Ebron as well. Nothing we can do about it now. On to Tennessee, that is a huge game this coming Sunday.

Yeah, it’s really dumb to me that TY’s run to the pylon is a TD but Ebron’s catch is not. Not consistent catching rules. 

Sometimes I think I understand football, but then there are penalties called like the Autry one and I realize I don’t know quite a few rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I felt like we were getting the short end of the stick all day. I knew that wasn't a penalty when it happened. Instead of 3 they get 7 points. They got away with a lot of holding too. I still say that was a catch by Ebron as well. Nothing we can do about it now. On to Tennessee, that is a huge game this coming Sunday.

We got away with holding a lot too.   Just sayin 

Rock was holding a lot 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Have to admit, I said it was a legit penalty.  I'm puzzled now as to when you can't hit the center?  I remember player leaping over centers because they couldn't hit them.

Rules are so confusing now.  Maybe it's just me...

Not just you, the game has gotten crazy with all the protection of players type rules. Maybe we should have weight and speed limits put on these guys and not allow them to lift weights and be in such jacked up shape. Play at the level of a couch type dad, like the terry Bradshaws of the world type lol. 

This may be the only time this season I will comment on the officiating, otherwise I will probably get banned. The refs suck, they have for decades in the nfl. Get used to it. The fact that in the last 45 years the Colts have played 32 postseason games and not once have had a game where they had just one penalty while their opponents had TEN. Yet in 2 of their last 5 postseason games the sucriots have had that advantage twice(2017 afc championship game against jags and supersham against the rams). How is that even possible?????? Ward got blatantly held in the 1st qtr. that resulted in a huge gain for the chargers also. I've said for years just keep it fair, it's not going to happen. Remember last year at titans with 5 minutes to go in the game we had 12 penalties the titans 3 yet we were ahead by 16 points. Without Andrew at qb and that kind of officiating we will be down by 21 next sunday.

53 minutes ago, CamMo said:

Yeah, it’s really dumb to me that TY’s run to the pylon is a TD but Ebron’s catch is not. Not consistent catching rules. 

Sometimes I think I understand football, but then there are penalties called like the Autry one and I realize I don’t know quite a few rules.

Not really yours (or other fans) fault.  They tweak rules and add points of emphasis every year.  Hard to keep up for most of us fans.  And the rule book is massive, too.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2019-nfl-rulebook/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well isn’t this great. Lol

In the game day thread when it happened I called that out as a b.s. call, for he was just splitting the gap between the C & the OG.  To my shock, a lot of users refuted my complaint, saying the penalty was legit.   I was like, wha, what ... this is what the NFL rules have come to? Glad to hear that ai was right all alone no.  

Sad to discover that the crappy call was just yet another of the plays that reality stoically cost the Colts the game. That penalty that cost them 4 points.  The Houston 3rd down sack negating offside that ended up costing 7 points, and the three Vinny gaffs that cost 7 points.  That’s 18 points.  Score should’ve been Colts 31, Chargers 13.  This is why I am still feeling optimistic.  Game that slid through their fingers, but a game against one of the AFC favourites that they really ought to have won. 

Go Colts!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Have to admit, I said it was a legit penalty.  I'm puzzled now as to when you can't hit the center?  I remember player leaping over centers because they couldn't hit them.

Rules are so confusing now.  Maybe it's just me...

I called it out as a bad call, straight away.  Autry didn’t bull straight over the center, he was shooting the gap between the C & OG.  Contact on the center was not direct, it was incidental.  That is never a penalty and I was shocked how many in the game day thread were refuting my claim as it being a clean play, and instead ragging on Autry for being dumb.

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

In the game day thread when it happened I called that out as a b.s. call, for he was just splitting the gap between the C & the OG.  To my shock, a lot of users refuted my complaint, saying the penalty was legit.   I was like, wha, what ... this is what the NFL rules have come to? Glad to hear that ai was right all alone no.  

Sad to discover that the crappy call was just yet another of the plays that reality stoically cost the Colts the game. That penalty that cost them 4 points.  The Houston 3rd down sack negating offside that ended up costing 7 points, and the three Vinny gaffs that cost 7 points.  That’s 18 points.  Score should’ve been Colts 31, Chargers 13.  This is why I am still feeling optimistic.  Game that slid through their fingers, but a game against one of the AFC favourites that they really ought to have won. 

Go Colts!

Imagine the story line with a 31 to 13 colts win. You always win controlling the ball like we did and no turnovers. It’s funny how there has been no national media of the colts taking the chargers to overtime without Luck. I guess that’s a good thing. Maybe the reason they were hyping JB so they could then tear him apart. He played great and that didn’t happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not to mention all the holding calls that were not called. On that Allen TD Turay got tackled and it should of been a penalty.

There's a ref at the 47yd line and a ref at the the 42yd line. Both look like they can see Turay being pulled down. Neither throw a flag.

1:59 in the link below

https://youtu.be/Bglsg2XpfY0

• Like 1