Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Admits they screwed up the Autry penalty

Restinpeacesweetchloe

11 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Have to admit, I said it was a legit penalty.  I'm puzzled now as to when you can't hit the center?  I remember player leaping over centers because they couldn't hit them.

Rules are so confusing now.  Maybe it's just me...

Not sure exactly when they changed it to when the center can’t be hit, but know it’s a rule now. I only wish they had had such a rule when I played (only high school) center 50 years ago!!!!  The favorite play then, was to rush 3 guys over the center on punts and extra points. No way to block them all!!!!

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

When I saw the replay, I thought they were calling a foul for Autry bringing his knee into the head of the center. That's all I could come up with. 

I still haven’t had a chance to watch Game Pass video, but if it looked that way to a ref in real time, and the center ended up on his rear end before he can get his hands and head up, they will call it. In the interest of safety, they error on throwing the flag, not holding it. Even if they are eventually wrong.  (Was he blocked over the center where his knee looked like it hit the C in the noggin?)

3 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Not sure exactly when they changed it to when the center can’t be hit, but know it’s a rule now. I only wish they had had such a rule when I played (only high school) center 50 years ago!!!!  The favorite play then, was to rush 3 guys over the center on punts and extra points. No way to block them all!!!!

5 years ago or so, the league instituted new rules and one of which was anyone within 1 yard of the LOS, they can not be lined up inside of the outer edge of the centers pads. Maybe the other (or point of emphasis) was defining the Center as being in a defenseless position (until the snap is caught?) thus the potential for unnecessary roughness, IF the contact was initiated by the Defender (hit to head and neck area). But not if blocked into him, I believe.

In addition, leaping over the center (even if you do not touch him) has been eliminated as it is penalized  if attempted.

I haven’t seen these plays yet, But I explained the rules concerning them in detail in another thread; and how the refs might have applied them.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Turftoe said:

Was it reviewed? They say "all scoring plays are reviewed" and an extra point IS a scoring play.

Only penalty that is challengeable is P.I. And not unnecessary roughness personal fouls. The League/Riveron reviews every penalty, whether teams send them in or not, on Monday. Incorrect calls they alert the team affected.  Happens a lot during the year.  If I remember, around 3% of all calls made.

The Ebron play would certainly be looked at ( in NY ) but either upheld as loss of control, or not enough clear evidence to overrule the call on the field.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Only penalty that is challengeable is P.I. And not unnecessary roughness personal fouls. The League/Riveron reviews every penalty, whether teams send them in or not, on Monday. Incorrect calls they alert the team affected.  Happens a lot during the year.  If I remember, around 3% of all calls made.

The Ebron play would certainly be looked at ( in NY ) but either upheld as loss of control, or not enough clear evidence to overrule the call on the field.

Were we not able to challenge that PI they did on  Quincy Wilson?  I thought that was a clean play. 

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Were we not able to challenge that PI they did on  Quincy Wilson?  I thought that was a clean play. 

Offense or Defense pass interference is challengeable (whether called or not), if outside the last 2 minutes where It is booth review.  But losing the challenge is a loss of a time out as well.

I think coaches aren’t sure to what extent Riveron would uphold or overrule the refs in P.I. Calls.  As data mounts, teams will have a better picture of what they might challenge with good success.

I need to find time to watch the Game Pass replay, got all of this other stuff going on, and this on my tablet on the side.  ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Offense or Defense pass interference is challengeable (whether called or not), if outside the last 2 minutes where It is booth review.  But losing the challenge is a loss of a time out as well.

I think coaches aren’t sure to what extent Riveron would uphold or overrule the refs in P.I. Calls.  As data mounts, teams will have a better picture of what they might challenge with good success.

I need to find time to watch the Game Pass replay, got all of this other stuff going on, and this on my tablet on the side.  ;)

From what I saw Quincy didn't bump the guy or grab him before the ball got there.  He just reached his hand in there and they called PI.   I was saying to myself "challenge it please!".  They never did though. 

49 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

I thought it looked like a clear flag, he runs into the snapper, unless I'm missing something.

When I finally get to watch, I’m going to look and see if he was blocked into the center by the guard as he was jumping up to tip/block the kick.  And if/how much contact was made.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, Dogg63 said:

Wow, I searched for a clip of that play so I could try to understand the foul better. I didn't find anything. I saw some folks in the forum bash Autry for such a bonehead play, but apparently it was quite reasonable after all. In general, I am not learning much about the rules/flags in the forum chats due to so many differing viewpoints. 

It's because even the NFL doesn't know the rules. They're changing them every single season. We don't even know what constitutes a catch anymore.

Just this season, we were finally able to challenge pass interference penalties. It's ridiculous.

23 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I called it out as a bad call, straight away.  Autry didn’t bull straight over the center, he was shooting the gap between the C & OG.  Contact on the center was not direct, it was incidental.  That is never a penalty and I was shocked how many in the game day thread were refuting my claim as it being a clean play, and instead ragging on Autry for being dumb.

This does not matter if  the defender initiates the contact to the head/neck area of a long snapper.  I feel it was the wrong call because from the clips I've seen posted,  it appears he was likely blocked into the center, thus he didn't actually 'initiate the contact.  Bit there are rules about protecting the long snapper. I posted about it here-