Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moving on Is Jacoby a temporary fix? Are do we search for a new franchise QB for the future?

horseshoecrabs

Good thing we kept Jacoby for now, to help this team this year. The main question is what is our QB for the future? Is it from the draft, FA or what?

We need to  get over the shock of losing Luck, and look to the future, Does anyone think that Brissett, will be our future or do we need to look elsewhere? We still have been building a good foundation for a future franchise QB to come here. so analytically. we are a good fit for any future QB of any substance to have success here.  We need to move forward especially now, and get the right fit for our future QB.   

Do we trade or draft? If draft, I guess Tua and Justin are fine, but we all know the circus that is drafting a qb in today’s league. If we trade, who is young and talented enough to lead this team in any semblance of the way Luck did? I guess we’ll just get to wait another year before we chase the dreams of real playoff wins.

yay

I would love someone to land Trevor Lawrence in 2021, since I think he is by far and away the best QB prospect out of 2020 and 2021. Good Lord I can't believe I am typing this and that Indy is now looking for a new franchise QB. What a shocker with the Luck news. 

19 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Look the player we need to be concerned about actually is Quenton Nelson. 

Why is that?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I would love someone to land Trevor Lawrence in 2021, since I think he is by far and away the best QB prospect out of 2020 and 2021. Good Lord I can't believe I am typing this and that Indy is now looking for a new franchise QB. What a shocker with the Luck news. 

Why is that?

That’s our offensive line basically. He dealing with injury too 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

If brissett isn't good, I'm okay with Ballard trading every draft pick for whatever QB it is lol 

With as deep as this team is I would be to. 

I think we will know pretty quick on how JB will play. We have some tough matchups. He should have a good oline and run game with a good defense so it might not be as bad as we think.

I think Brissett is good. I think he has some starter qualities. I don't think he's good enough though. I think he's the exact type of starter you are OK having but always looking to upgrade. 

This of course comes with the disclaimer that I am willing to give him this entire season to prove otherwise. We haven't really seen him in highly competitive situation in the last 18 months or so I realize he might have improved beyond what we saw last time he played regular season games. 

My biggest fear is that we get stuck in a situation of having a Mariota/Dak/Dalton type at QB who is good enough to give you glimpses of hope but over the long haul you are doomed to mediocre play at the position. And this is the position where you can least get away with mediocre play at. 

• Like 3

It's hard for me to say.  I will know more after this season.

Brissett did look pretty good against the Browns.  I definitely

did see improvement with him against the blitz and finding

his hot read.  He was poised and kept his head upfield, while

checking down to the right receiver.  If he has improved the way

it looked like I think we can make a nice fight of this.

There are lots of things to think about:

Wich other teams need a new qb next season? 

Are we "bad enough" to pick in the top 10?

Will our 2 2nd round picks be enough trade ammo to move up to 1 or 2 to grab the best qb in the draft? 

Is there a qb in the draft worth giving up everything? 

All those questions ca only be answered after this season.... Will be a looooong ride till april i guess. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

I don’t think we can win playoff games with brissett unless we seriously upgrade our defense and running game. We will be stuck in QB limbo where we are too good to get a top QB but not good enough to compete in the playoffs

This is exactly what I fear 

• Like 1

I love Jacoby's energy, enthusiasm, etc.  He is the poster- child for a "good teammate".  However, he hasnt showed me he is a top 10 QB.  And i think every team should be constantly searching for it, mainly because they can be "erasers".  We all know it isnt that easy though.

I will be anxious to see what Jacoby can do behind a better line.  I also am interested to see how the "Kelly experiment"!pans out.

If Jacoby balls-out or shows enough, then a contract is feasible.  However,  if he looks average and Kelly doesn't look like the 2nd coming of his uncle, then I'd invest one OR TWO of our early picks on QBs, let Jacoby get big $ somewhere else, and bridge gap with Kelly or someone else.   Remember Washington with robert Griffin and kirk cousins? 

Take two with our 2 2nds.  Or a 2nd and 3rd.  Or combine 1st and 2nd to move up...I wouldnt care.  I think i see better value "doubling down" in draft than risking big $ on a known, usually average at best , vet and associated large contract.

There has been a run of young productive QBs coming out in the last few years.  Better classes than i remember in a long time.

Ballard will come up with a plan.

Who knows, maybe thats why Peyton was in town recently.

haha

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Do we trade or draft? If draft, I guess Tua and Justin are fine, but we all know the circus that is drafting a qb in today’s league. If we trade, who is young and talented enough to lead this team in any semblance of the way Luck did? I guess we’ll just get to wait another year before we chase the dreams of real playoff wins.

yay

Tua is overrated.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's hard for me to say.  I will know more after this season.

Brissett did look pretty good against the Browns.  I definitely

did see improvement with him against the blitz and finding

his hot read.  He was poised and kept his head upfield, while

checking down to the right receiver.  If he has improved the way

it looked like I think we can make a nice fight of this.

We have to be able to beat AFC South teams with this guy yes they beat the Texans both time in 2017 without Watson but got swept by titans and jags and jags destroyed us both times that year one of the games a pathetic 27-0 loss at home so he better prove he can beat the teams in this division first then the rest of the league.

58 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think our defense looks pretty darn great. 

Meh. It’s above average which is much better than we’ve had in a while. But we would need like a 2015 broncos defense or prime legion of boom to win. The crappy thing is that elite defenses only last 2-3 years because of how expensive they get 

• Like 2

I believe I have the answer to who should be the Colts Quarter back. Why not sign Sam Bradford? He's been a reliable QB since he was drafted by the Rams. The problem is he always played for bad teams like the Rams, Cardinals and Vikings all had terrible offensive lines. Considering he's never had much to work with through out his career he still managed to put up good numbers. I strongly urge the Colts to consider signing Sam Bradford because he's better than a'lot of the backups in the league and even better than some starters. He is definitely better than Jacoby Brisset. That guy sucks.

This might sound a bit crazy, but I really do think Chad Kelly has SERIOUS potential. He's been lighting it up this pre seaoson too. I think he will be our stater by mid season.

He has everything to be a franchise QB, just needs the right culture around him. Go and watch all the tape you can on him. If he has a good 10 or so games this season, we could be very lucky given what's happened.

Nobody on the forum is even consodering him, but he's already better than Jacoby. He's taylor amde for this Reich offense.

There is a reason he was brought here. You don't bring a wild character in like Chad to twiddle his thumbs as a back up. I think they've been considering this for a while. 

There's a reason why they've been giving him so much playing time too. There is doom and gloom right now, but to be honest I think we have our QB right there.

• Like 4

No one knows how Brissett will perform with his new role and  much improved team. Recall, he got slaughtered like Luck because of the limp offensive line. Time will tell is about all anyone can say. Now is a great time more than ever to have a talented GM.

• Like 1

Chad Kelly is your answer. He put up almost 800 yards passing in two games against Saban’s Alabama defense with average to below average talent around him at Ole Miss.

The only other QB who can make a claim to have over 700 yards against a Saban defense? Drew Brees at Purdue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1