Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict How Much Ballard Spends in FA

If I remember correctly we were slow coming out of the gate last year.  I think it took days before we signed anyone.  If Ballard takes the same approach this year I for one will be very disappointed.  Too many young difference makers in positions of need to not move fast.   And more could be released for cap reasons.  I want him to get two or three difference makers and pay them to get them.  Don't let them leave the building. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If I remember correctly we were slow coming out of the gate last year.  I think it took days before we signed anyone.  If Ballard takes the same approach this year I for one will be very disappointed.  Too many young difference makers in positions of need to not move fast.   And more could be released for cap reasons.  I want him to get two or three difference makers and pay them to get them.  Don't let them leave the building. 

I agree with the likes of Hitchens, Zach Fulton, and a key WR.  I just hope he has guys in mind and is ready to get the contract done right away.  You wait to long and even the mid tier guys get snatched for mid tier contracts. 

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We werent slow out of the gate, we just lost all the bidding wars for the top guys. First few days we were making calls for Zeitler, Hightower, Jeffery, Bouye, Perry and a few others we were reportedly going after. Once all the top tier guys were lost, we started working on the next tier of FAs on the list. 

I dont expect it to be any easier for Ballard this year. We are coming off a terrible year and Lucks status is still up in the air. Unless we significantly outbid other teams (which is a fairly reckless use of our cap) I cant see us winning many bidding wars on the top talents. 

All of it. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think there were a couple that we were targeting. Alshon Jeffrey and Poe, right? I don't remember any other big names on the market. I think this year Ballard will chase after them but if they decide to choose somewhere else, it's not his fault.

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

We werent slow out of the gate, we just lost all the bidding wars for the top guys. First few days we were making calls for Zeitler, Hightower, Jeffery, Bouye, Perry and a few others we were reportedly going after. Once all the top tier guys were lost, we started working on the next tier of FAs on the list. 

I dont expect it to be any easier for Ballard this year. We are coming off a terrible year and Lucks status is still up in the air. Unless we significantly outbid other teams (which is a fairly reckless use of our cap) I cant see us winning many bidding wars on the top talents. 

Yep. It's not Ballard's fault if they choose somewhere else. This year, the 49ers and the Bears will be hot destinations, so don't be surprised to see them snatch some big names, like Robinson. Jets and Browns also have more caps than us and can outbid us. 

I think this number depends on what the cutoff is. Is this just during the free agent period that is upcoming, or does this count UDFA signings, post draft free agent pickups, picking up Preseason cuts, and everything in between? Cuz those numbers are probably very different.

3 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think this number depends on what the cutoff is. Is this just during the free agent period that is upcoming, or does this count UDFA signings, post draft free agent pickups, picking up Preseason cuts, and everything in between? Cuz those numbers are probably very different.

Includes draft pickups and all that.

5 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Draft pick numbers are fairly set.  

Im talking FA including our own.  UDFs included.    All new signing other than draft picks 

The rest of the money is pretty much spent on obligations. 

14 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

I think most are going to be disappointed and I say he spends roughly 30 million. Gotta build through the draft and not FA.

Do teams lose draft picks if they spend money in free agency?

19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Do teams lose draft picks if they spend money in free agency?

They lose the opportunity for comp picks. (FA's acquired/FA's lost, $$ matters to)

Colts don't have anything to worry about. I'm sure they will sign more FA than they lose. So the Colts wont be getting any Comp picks next year anyway.

Hopefully in the next couple years, we can start capitalizing on some Comp picks.

5 hours ago, w87r said:

They lose the opportunity for comp picks. (FA's acquired/FA's lost, $$ matters to)

Colts don't have anything to worry about. I'm sure they will sign more FA than they lose. So the Colts wont be getting any Comp picks next year anyway.

Hopefully in the next couple years, we can start capitalizing on some Comp picks.

So there should be a new saying that goes "championship teams are built through comp picks". 

haha