Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Predict How Much Ballard Spends in FA

I never care how much the Colts spend, not my money, but I do care that they get good players. If they spend all the cap money and get 2 good players and a few other good teammates then I’m happy.

However, I’m always nervous about free agents, constantly asking myself, “if they are so good why don’t they get paid by their current teams?” 

It seems to me that with the cap nowadays going up every year (doubling the last 10 years) every team should be able to keep their good free agents if they think they are worth keeping.

For example, can someone explain why guys like  Norwell or Hitchens are going be let go by Panthers or Cowboys if they are really that good?

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

Do teams lose draft picks if they spend money in free agency?

Absolutely not but it is a business and ultimately over spending in FA is bad for the bottom line. If a young high potential free agent is available i'd be all for spending but ultimately they are going to get multiple offers. So bargain shopping to fill holes would be wise and get the top end talent through draft.

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Why can't we do both?

There is building through the draft and using FA to fill holes which is Ballard's philosophy and there is over spending on FAs. You have to be smart and bargain shop or get those guys on wave 2. Prime example a couple years ago with Suh and look how great that turned out.

17 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

There is building through the draft and using FA to fill holes which is Ballard's philosophy and there is over spending on FAs. You have to be smart and bargain shop or get those guys on wave 2. Prime example a couple years ago with Suh and look how great that turned out.

They are Both resources that need to be used. Of course overspending on FA's that don't perform as hoped is not good.

Lets look at Ballards acquisitions from last year.... FA's : Hankins, Sheard, Woods. All good players. Also Simon, Mingo contributed. They should all be decent to solid players this year.

Draft: Banner a Bust... Basham didn't even see the field till last game or two... Grover not much...Quincy injured/healthy scratch good portion of season and didn't too great when he was in. Best game was in Blizzard at Buffalo. Mack very limited playing time. Hooker... 3 interceptions in less than half a season  but I think 2 were like Hail Mary type throws....Hairston probably our most productive draftee especially considering he was a 5th rounder.

Basically we only really know for sure that Hairston & Hooker can play at a good level going forward and Hooker has to heal from ACL & MCL. Speed and range is his game and he needs to come back as close to 100% as possible to play at his top level.

Even though we didn't see much from Mack I still love him and expect a lot from him. 

I know your not supposed to judge a draft class after only 1 season BUT so far they don't look like the building blocks of a championship team.

Clearly we got a lot more out of our FA signings than our Draftees.

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

So there should be a new saying that goes "championship teams are built through comp picks". 

haha

It's not really about the player you get with the comp pick.

It just is more like a reward for having your roster in order. Once you build a strong core on the team, the need to bring in a bunch of FA's every year isn't there. Then other teams start signing guys we don't retain, then we can get free compensation for them. When we have 4-5 guys that we dont retain sign and go start for other teams, that will be a sign we are a much better team.

So like I said, really has nothing to do with said player at comp pick. It just means that our roster will be much deeper and we will have less turnover year to year, when we start to capitalize on them.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

They are Both resources that need to be used. Of course overspending on FA's that don't perform as hoped is not good.

Lets look at Ballards acquisitions from last year.... FA's : Hankins, Sheard, Woods. All good players. Also Simon, Mingo contributed. They should all be decent to solid players this year.

Draft: Banner a Bust... Basham didn't even see the field till last game or two... Grover not much...Quincy injured/healthy scratch good portion of season and didn't too great when he was in. Best game was in Blizzard at Buffalo. Mack very limited playing time. Hooker... 3 interceptions in less than half a season  but I think 2 were like Hail Mary type throws....Hairston probably our most productive draftee especially considering he was a 5th rounder.

Basically we only really know for sure that Hairston & Hooker can play at a good level going forward and Hooker has to heal from ACL & MCL. Speed and range is his game and he needs to come back as close to 100% as possible to play at his top level.

Even though we didn't see much from Mack I still love him and expect a lot from him. 

I know your not supposed to judge a draft class after only 1 season BUT so far they don't look like the building blocks of a championship team.

Absolutely, never said you shouldn't utilize both as resources. Just have to go into FA with the mindset that you are looking for some great value guys to contribute at a reasonable price. I do believe that Ballard knew he was switching back to a 4-3 defense so I expect to see some progress from Bashem. Hooker, Hairston, and Wilson will be some decent building blocks in that secondary and I think Wilson was mishandled last year. Mack I think is a good start to a running back committee and I expect another back to come through the draft or free agency and they don't break the bank in FA minus Bell. Hankins is sort of an exception with free agents since he had no red flags that I was aware of, produces, and was like 23-24 years old. If there are guys like that available in free agency then I would be all for trying to sign them. A guy that could fit that mold would be Robinson minus the injuries but if he is willing to sign a prove it deal or a deal that isn't going to break the bank I'd be all for it.

11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Disagree. Wilson played well when he played and improved as the season went on. Basham had some flashes and Grover Stewart was red shirting. Mack played well for a fourth round pick and Hooker played well too.