Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone worried about inexperience?

Myles

Yeah of course there's some inexperience with this group, but they're is no staff that you can hire that's considered flawless. Each HC and co got their pros and cons.

I do like that the team seemingly constructed a very well respected staff. The HC, OC and DC are all pretty well thought of in the league.

So while inexperience is a factor (and no doubt there'll be a learning curve), I think it's too early to really be fretting about that.

Not really. All the name guys are getting old and eventually there has to be a new crop of guys. You just have to be able to take a leap of faith and hope you're right.

I think that's (experience) overrated at times. There's retreads out there, but I don't think they're crazy for trying out new blood.

It makes me nervous a little bit, but i think most of the growing pains will be in game management.  as long as they can put together a game plan and make in game adjustments, the little stuff like challenges and timeout usage can come later on.  The problem with Chuck is he never seemed to get better with any of the above.

I'm not saying that @Myles is saying this but it is funny to me how when the coaching search was going on most people were against the idea of a retread coach. Now that we don't have a retread people are concerned about the lack of experience.  Again I'm not saying that I think that is how Myles feels but I know there are people in the Colts fan base who do. 

I don't see much inexperience there. Reich was OC for 4 years for 2 teams, that's more than most HC candidates have in their resumee nowadays. He is experienced. The new OC is a young guy, but so was McVay, McDaniels and so on. He's been QB coaching, WR coaching, did quality control, etc. As far as experience goes, he is ready.

Since we have an offensive guy in HC, Ballard could've elected to go with an older, more experienced DC. Like the Rams did with Son of Bum. But, all I read about Eberflus, the guy is an emerging, very promising young mind, who's been working & learning in a system, which is a) kinda resembles to Dungys tampa 2, so something the Colts did in the past and b) tries to incorporate the new stuff Seattle brought in the game with their cover 3 and LOB, and has been spreading all over the league ever since. So it sounds up to date to me. We will see how it works out.

54 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's not keeping me up all night or anything close to that, but it does worry me a little bit.

So many on the coaching staff are first timers.    HC, OC, DC.

They do seem like good people and coaches so they may thrive. 

I'm sure many of the eagle fans had there doubts about pederson when he first joined the team and then look at what happen with them. so i can understand the jitters u must feel however i have a feeling were gonna be just fine.:thmup:

I see it as a positive. They will all be given their first shot at having heavier roles and will come out hungry to succeed. 

I'm sure there will be hiccups along the way, but that's expected to a point.

I want to see a staff that manages the game well, makes adjustments, and exploits the weaknesses of our opponents.

You know, eventually retreads blow-out and do so a lot sooner than new tires.  I like the idea of having a new set of tires to run this thing.  They are all super motivated to succeed.  The retread coaches know if they fail, that someone will hire them again and again.

Here's to our new set of tires!!  Ha, ha...makes me thing of Sgt. Hulka being the Big Toe in the movie Stripes.

photo-100378.jpg

Yes, there is some concern.  A first time GM, a first time HC, a first time OC and a first time DC.  I'm like the OP, it doesn't keep me up at night and it doesn't mean I don't like the coaches/GM or support them.  But there will be some mistakes made and there is a possibility that the mistake(s) may be huge.

9 hours ago, Myles said:

It's not keeping me up all night or anything close to that, but it does worry me a little bit.

No it has me feeling like this years Colts team will be fine fresh faces ready to shine from HC & his OC to DC every aspect has me pumped for what I believe will better than anyone thinks give me your rosiest scenario plus thats my opinion .

These Coaches have a Golden Opportunity they'v been called at best second best & worst Losers . 

Not since Peyton Manning was drafted have I felt so positive about my Colt's future in fact I feel even better then I'v felt since Andrew Luck was drafted because IMO he now will have a brain trust around him that can & will get him to the next level I have a good feeling  we just need to build on 12's early seasons he knows how to win give him a O- line give him a running game & FINALLY give him a defense that can finally stop the RUN & the Colts will plow thru the AFC South ...

Edited by ÅÐØNϧ 1
added be

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I’m not concerned, but that mainly have to do with the fact that this team is not ready for a deep playoff run anyway, just yet. They will have a free year to gel and make a couple of mistakes, then we’re ready to take off 

38 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Here is your answer to the topic. Pick one....Pagano or Reich,

Eberflus or Monochino and Chudzinski or Sirianni. 

Pagano was a First time HC and only 1 year experience as a DC for the Ravens. Imo, his resume did not warrant  him being hired as HC. And it showed as he often looked overwhelmed.

Hiring someone with experience is always nice, especially if he was successful at his former position. But most of the proven coaches, GM's are either employed, retired, or in Heaven. So sometimes you just have take a chance on inexperienced.

Yes I do have some concern.  Ideally and typically, a first time HC will hire an experienced coordinator on the other side of the ball.  McVay with Wade Phillips, Mike Zimmer originally hired Norv Turner, McDermott in Buffalo hired Leslie Frazier etc etc.  First time HC, OC and DC isn't ideal but I'm hoping for the best.  I would have preferred someone more experienced as DC but if we're going to go with one that has no previous DC experience then it seems like Eberflus was a good choice.  So I'm hopeful but yes, a little concern is there.

I'm not worried about it. I'm just aware of the potential (likely) learning curve.

There's also the change in schemes, and a posible decent turnover of the roster.

I'm not going to be surprised if the first half of the season is a bit rough, but I do expect we'll see improvements in the second half, as things gel.

I am excited about our coordinators. Ballard is usually  measured in what he says about people but was fairly effusive in his praise of Eberflus, and I don't think he was merely trying to justify the hire. 

According to reports and appearances,  Ballard wanted Bevell as OC but the fact that Siranni was hired hours after Reich came on board indicates FR stipulated who he had to have as OC and Ballard went along with it. 

I'm excited to see young minds and fresh names (instead of familiar ones like Norv Turner, Mike Shula, Greg Olson). It shows me Reich and Ballard have confidence in what they are doing. 

Youth is not to bad but inexperience can be a bit overkill without some balance. Be nice to bring in a guy like Tom Moore to work with some of the young staff. He was out there with Arians and has the obvious ties to the Colts. The way these young guys keep getting picked off of teams every other year to be the next HC somewhere. Bring in a guy that at this point wouldn't be bolting for a HC job when we have the bounce back success with Luck. 

2 hours ago, neug3246 said:

Just bc they are new doesn't mean they aren't good or cant do their job. They were hired for a reason. Ballard was a first time GM and what are your overall impression of him??

Every coach was hired for a reason...I agree that just because they're new doesn't mean they're good...but the fact that they were hired for a reason is also no indication that they'll be good either.

Anytime a new coaching staff is put together it takes time for things to click. With the turnover in the roster and the fact we have a lot of young players just makes things tougher on the new coaches. It is unrealistic to expect a lot of improvement as far as winning the division and making the playoffs. Only time holds the answers to how this works out.

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

We should've gone with this staff:

HC - Jeff Fischer

OC - Jim Caldwell

DC - Jack Del Rio

Tons of experience there.

I'm NOT a Jeff Fisher fan...    but let's not forget,  he was one yard away from winning a Super Bowl.

Caldwell was part of TWO Super Bowl franchises...   and the second one, the Ravens, in part because of him as the OC.

And Del Rio was never great, but he was never terrible either.   I'm not aware he has a bad rep.

So if we all had woken up someday in January and Chris Ballard had announced THIS coaching staff,  I would've been just fine.    Really.    Seriously.

29 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

To be honest I would have liked someone more credible as our OC over Nick Sirianni. Someone that has experience playcalling so Reich can delegate to overseeing the entire game flow and be the leader Indy needs him to be.

I know what you mean, but we don’t know what expectations that Irsay and Ballard put on Reich. Maybe the expectation is a total rebuild this year and Reich thought, well damn, I might as well develop my own OC since there is room for a couple of mistakes. 

I'm not overly worried about the lack of experience.    It likely would have been pretty similar no matter who we hired.

We likely will lose a game or two because of our cooachrs inexperience,  but we may actually win a game or two because of the original ideas they bring.

You don't hire a staff for one year.  We're building a staff for multiple years.   Hopefully we've made the right hires....

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm NOT a Jeff Fisher fan...    but let's not forget,  he was one yard away from winning a Super Bowl.

Caldwell was part of TWO Super Bowl franchises...   and the second one, the Ravens, in part because of him as the OC.

And Del Rio was never great, but he was never terrible either.   I'm not aware he has a bad rep.

So if we all had woken up someday in January and Chris Ballard had announced THIS coaching staff,  I would've been just fine.    Really.    Seriously.

Fisher sucked everywhere he went.  i'd been IRATE if we'd hired him.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

The fact of the matter is none of us know for sure. I wouldn't’ lose any sleep over it. Because it will be quite a while until we know anything definite one way or the other quite a while. It took some of us least 3 years to figure out Pagano sucked.