Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Could be.  The article from Adam Schefter made it sound like he was iffy the whole time and never actually gave his word that he would come to Indy

But Schefter also said that Kraft was giving it to the Colts because deflate-gate which should be enough to make the league office to react. 

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Could be.  The article from Adam Schefter made it sound like he was iffy the whole time and never actually gave his word that he would come to Indy

hmm, agreeing to terms does actually give the impression that he's not gonna telecommute

Colts statement:

BREAKING: Statement from the Indianapolis Colts....

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

The scheduled press conference at Lucas Oil Stadium will not take place tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming."

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is really bizarre.  Maybe this guy just wasn't meant to be a head coach.  He had a shot in Denver and that went up in flames.  He resurrected his image and got another chance, then does something like this.  Unreal

His image was resurrected by an interview saying that he changed.  And people here believed it.

He still hasn't accomplished anything without BB or Brady.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

I have zero doubt we'll get something.

When Belichick screwed the Jets about 20 years ago,  I think the Pats paid a 1 and a 4.     It's in the latest 30 for 30.

I think the only question is how much.     This is a TERRIBLE look for the NFL.

No reason to fight over McDaniels.    You don't want a person who doesn't want to join you.     But to come away with nothing?     Unthinkable.

I'm asking for the moon and will raise HELL if we don't get most of the way there.

New England has to pay a serious price here.      This can't go unchecked.

If he didn't sign anything,   what rule was broken?

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Nah. I'm ok with it.  

They're habitual cheaters that have asterisks next to each championship.  

Idk why anyone is surprised. 

Well I used "we" there in the general sense since so many wanted him. lol   Personally, I actually agree with the bolded and was against hiring him from the onset. Neither here or there as we are all in this together now and our franchise has been dealt a significant blow.  But it's not a death blow.  I believe that the Colts will be better for this. 

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

The scheduled press conference at Lucas Oil Stadium will not take place tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming."

They're setting up the case for the inevitable grievance...

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

The phone calls he'll have to make to the assistants are gonna be really awkward....

Sounds like their gonna go something like this...

"Heyyy so uhhh we didn't really pick you to begin with, and don't really know who your boss is gonna be and if their gonna want you still, but uhhh we're gonna still take you, just cuz I guess." 

Idk I just really don't like these headlines about the Colts being good guys keeping the coaches they hired, they got just as *'d over as the coaches did, and its not our job to ensure their still ensured from McDaniels being a jerk.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

McDaniels is the one who agreed to take the job, then backed out at the last minute. He has no integrity.

And I agree with you about compensation. It's hard to see this not going to the league office and resulting in picks for the Colts. The precedent is Belichick, but that was a long time ago, and the rules are different now. 

This is not like BB, as BB was under contract with the Jets.  

Btw, the Pats version of the story was that they sent a fax to the Jets asking the team that they wished to speak with BB, Parcels intercepted the fax, the Pats never got a response, Parcels then resigns triggering BB being the HC of the NYJ.  As there was a change in ownership from the original agreement/contracts between jets/BB/parcels and the BB likely did not like what happen above, decided to drop the napkin. 

So in the end it is different.  

Surely, on the surface what Josh did was not cool, turning down the offer this late in the game.

There may be tampering issues and/or perhaps some precedent for recompense for Colts having to wait a month.  Perhaps a compensatory pick. 

I think the tricky part is that he is not under contract.  

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

Only thing I can think is they promised him personnel control,  but even then.  The Colts put all their eggs in one basket , that's a risky prop anyway you slice it.  

All teams put all their eggs in one basket after they decide on the coach they want and that coach agrees to be the coach

2 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Grigson - Pagano - McDaniels

Not a very good track record. I understand that McDaniels is a very good OC, but why focus on a guy who clearly has been looking for a ready made team to coach? That was a red flag for me. It didn’t bother me as much that he failed in Denver and St. Louis. His pickiness in taking another coaching job did. Plus you had to wait so long to hire him? Add on top of that the fact he worked for a shady Patriots organization. 

The Colts have had terrible organization since the Dungy/Polian era left us. 

3 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I believe BB is under contract for the 2018  & that he & Kraft have bumped heads over Jimmy G & that BB has had a issue with Tommy Boys trainer IMO McDanials has been promised the HC position in 2019 by Kraft  EGO's are getting in the way in New England .

Yes.  These dots could've and should've been connected weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

“Agreeing to terms” - Does that constitute a formal signed agreement? If so, we have solid ground to go after draft picks from the Patriots.

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Well I used "we" there in the general sense since so many wanted him. lol   Personally, I actually agree with the bolded and was against hiring him from the onset. Neither here or there as we are all in this together now and our franchise has been dealt a significant blow.  But it's not a death blow.  I believe that the Colts will be better for this. 

If you look at McDaniels reneging as an indication of his character, then obviously we're better off not having him leading our team. 

But this really sucks for the Colts, in a number of ways. There is no silver lining.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Apologies to Florio, he was right.

I was afraid of this. I said it a few weeks ago. Just like his boss with the Jets.

Unbelievable.

Exactly. I had a feeling that this would happen. After Mangini accepted the Jets head coaching job, reports had it that Belichick tried diligently to persuade Mangini not to accept the job, because BB had issues with the Jets. The Pats organization and the Colts have had poor relations the last few years.  I would not be surprised if BB or Kraft persuaded McDaniels not to take the Colts job.

I actually think this is a blessing in disguise. Too bad the Colts lost out on Wilks. I thought he would have been a good fit. 

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes it was intentional.  This was planned for quite a while.

Payback for Allen and Dorsett trades on top of deflategate. Ballard was being praised for mending the relationship with New England after Grigson trashes it. Gullibility is not a good trait for a GM. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew86 said:

This organization is officially a dumpster fire.  I've been a Colts fan for 20 years and I've never been so pessimistic or disappointed about this team.  I wasn't the biggest McDaniels fan but whatever pile of horse manure Ballard can manage to scrape together to replace him won't be nearly as talented.  We now have to pick the best among a bunch of rejects no one else wanted because we wasted all this time.  You can say all you want about the Patriots lack of integrity and ethics but this set the Colts back immensely and it hurts.  I hope that one day this team can return to its former glory but its not close to getting back there anytime soon.  

McDaniels looked good in New England as OC but in Denver he drafted Tim Tebow & failed miserably & honestly how many former Hoodie assistant coach's have been successful ? 

Setting the Colts back ? yes a lil but it is what it is next man up is the motto .

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I do too because now we have a quest not to be ruined by anybody, especially by those cheating Pats.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

I think that's the key.  If the Colts have definitive proof of this, the Pats could get penalized quite a lot

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach..."

Okay, so he DID agree to a contract then? Compensatory picks are a go!

6 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Yes...  Clearly looking more and more like a set up...

On the bright side....  They still lost the Super Bowl.    :applause:

They're going to disintegrate  soon enough.

yep, they sure did lose the Super Bowl!

And Ballard learned a lesson about the dark side