Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

I like the immediate statement by the Colts and the "agreeing to contract terms" included to let people know that ultimately Josh McDaniels DID back out and this will very well probably be a legal fight as well. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

All teams put all their eggs in one basket after they decide on the coach they want and that coach agrees to be the coach

This guy was hesitant for weeks . We will never know what was agreed to , when , so yeah your right , my comment was off.  It's too bad they couldn't get it on paper because of the stupid hiring policy they have in the league.  

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Colts statement:

BREAKING: Statement from the Indianapolis Colts....

"After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

The scheduled press conference at Lucas Oil Stadium will not take place tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming."

Although there is no written contract, the Colts could try to base a grievance action on a theory of promissory estoppel (one is harmed by relying on a promise and thereafter holds off looking elsewhere after relying on the promise), but that only really applies to binding the parties (Josh/Colts).   But it might be a good theory as the Pats look like the ones that got in the middle and are 3rd party beneficiaries of the broken promise.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out.  

Colts response-

" After agreeing to contract terms to become the Indianapolis Colts’ new head coach, New England Patriots assistant coach Josh McDaniels this evening informed us that he would not be joining our team. Although we are surprised and disappointed, we will resume our head coaching search immediately and find the right fit to lead our team and organization on and off the field.

The scheduled press conference at Lucas Oil Stadium will not take place tomorrow. More information will be forthcoming."

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Never thought I would see you trash this franchise's image !

I'm not trashing the Colts image. They didn't do anything wrong, they just got played by a treacherous organization.

I'm simply saying that the joke is on us, not on McDaniels. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Don't really have to prove the reason. The hope at this point is to get compensation.

At this point, I think compensation is guaranteed.  But if the hope is to link it to Deflategate, I think that's nearly impossible.  Although if the link is made, it could magnify the penalty that much more

2 minutes ago, P'Son said:

As I said before, this punk is not a leader of men.  Glad he's not coming.

I especially am I didn't want him from the start. But when it was announced he was going to be the one I got on board. But now I'm extremely happy he's not coming he always struck me as a little weasel. He's not the type who demands respect just by presence alone. I mean he may demand it but probably wasn't going to get it.  

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If you look at McDaniels reneging as an indication of his character, then obviously we're better off not having him leading our team. 

But this really sucks for the Colts, in a number of ways. There is no silver lining.

As you know, I wasn't as high on Josh as others were.  I do agree that it cost us big time in our search this year.  But then again...who did we really miss out on that you really wanted here?  It was a weak year for hiring a head coach anyway.  Ballard will regroup and we will move forward. If we get some picks from all of this then all the better.

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he didn't sign anything,   what rule was broken?

My hunch is he did sign something.    Some type of letter of understanding.    It's used in the NFL.    Maybe even in other sports leagues.      So, we may have a signed document.

But even if he didn't sign anything,   we clearly had an understanding.     That's how we reportedly were getting the Pats special teams coach and maybe their assistant QB coach too.    And all those other assistants who came with the understanding that McDaneils wanted them.  

I think we have enough circumstantial evidence that there was an agreement in place.

I think the NFL will want to reward the Colts for this.   I think the league would look terrible if they didn't step in and act.

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I especially am I didn't want him from the start. But when it was announced he was going to be the one I got on board. But now I'm extremely happy he's not coming he always struck me as a little weasel. He's not the type who demands respect just by presence alone. I mean he may demand it but probably wasn't going to get it.  

That must have been awkward for you:
1. I hate him.
2. Now I like him.
3. Now I hate him more.

7 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

This is not like BB, as BB was under contract with the Jets.  

Btw, the Pats version of the story was that they sent a fax to the Jets asking the team that they wished to speak with BB, Parcels intercepted the fax, the Pats never got a response, Parcels then resigns triggering BB being the HC of the NYJ.  As there was a change in ownership from the original agreement/contracts between jets/BB/parcels and the BB likely did not like what happen above, decided to drop the napkin. 

So in the end it is different.  

Surely, on the surface what Josh did was not cool, turning down the offer this late in the game.

There may be tampering issues and/or perhaps some precedent for recompense for Colts having to wait a month.  Perhaps a compensatory pick. 

I think the tricky part is that he is not under contract.  

The only material difference is that McDaniels evidently hadn't signed a contract. And I agree that that's a big issue, but end of the day, the situation is the same. McDaniels agreed to take the job, then backed out at the 11th hour. Result is the same, the would-be hiring team is blindsided by someone reneging on an agreement, signed or verbal. 

It's hard to see the league office viewing it any other way.

I gotta say I'm not all that mad about it really, just surprised I guess.  I was in the "I'm not entirely sold on JMD but he might be the best out there in what is a weak HC candidate class this year" camp.  I think the next guy I would target would be Frank Reich, who looked equally good in the Super Bowl.  However, I don't think there are any really "can't miss" HC prospects this year anyway.  This may turn out to be a blessing for the Colts in the future.  

The people I REALLY feel bad for are these assistants and their families that he had already supposedly "hired" and have now been replaced by their former teams.  What do they do now?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?

I have zero doubt we'll get something.

When Belichick screwed the Jets about 20 years ago,  I think the Pats paid a 1 and a 4.     It's in the latest 30 for 30.

I think the only question is how much.     This is a TERRIBLE look for the NFL.

No reason to fight over McDaniels.    You don't want a person who doesn't want to join you.     But to come away with nothing?     Unthinkable.

I'm asking for the moon and will raise HELL if we don't get most of the way there.

New England has to pay a serious price here.      This can't go unchecked.

Unless he signed the deal there is nothing the colts can do.  (I don't know if he did or didn't)  they also did not higher him asa HC but rather retained him as OC.so it's not the same thing.

I still go back to the thinking weeks ago about why McDaniels was a "top candidate" then.  Other than an interview where he said he changed his personality, what has he done outside of NE?

Pagano never did a thing outside of Baltimore, and look where that got us.

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think that's the key.  If the Colts have definitive proof of this, the Pats could get penalized quite a lot

Wouldn’t agreed to terms be a handshake agreement that was not signed?  No proof if he didn’t sign. Colts emphasizing agreed to terms does not equal any less egg or pie on the horseshoe. 

:mindblow:    So we now add "Coach Gate"   to the long list...   I've lost track of how many gates there've been.   And they wonder why everyone thinks they're sneaky, and shady.

I think the Karma train is finally on the track tho...   Thanks to the Eagles...    

46 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

For those of you gloating that you never wanted McDaniels; the team wasted a month chasing this guy whilst all the other top candidates got swept up.

This situation is not good for the team.

Well duh that's why we were against it over a month ago.

Unlike all the other mindless sheep we didn't just say "oh he must not have a previous record of cheating in and out of NE since Ballard hired him...." this was Ballard getting taken advantage of and some people could just keep an open mind and see the dots a long time ago.

I repeat like I did over a month ago.  He cheated with and AWAY from Belichek/NE.  You are what you are and no amount of time changes that type of damaged character.